Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Toshimo posted:

Can you only brawl with heroes level 5+?

No, you can even pick the once you do not own, at least in this weeks brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

skipThings posted:

No, you can even pick the once you do not own, at least in this weeks brawl

I guess some are just disabled for ~reasons~.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Short list of why certain characters didn't make the grade for the brawl:
  • They were utterly, violently busted. Samuro, Tychus, Alarak, and Tassadar made the difficulty non-existent.
  • Their mechanics didn't mesh well with the Brawl's gameplay. Murky, Zul'jin, Lunara, and TLV are good examples.
  • They were being featured as bosses. So Kerrigan, Stitches, ect.
There are likely additional reasons, but I am not privy to those.

Edit: Also here are some of the sleeper hit characters for the brawl if y'all want to get unconventional and/or do speedruns:
  • Azmodan is arguably the most powerful character available if he gets the right Item setup in conjunction with Black Pool. The Reinforcements item spawns three Goliaths and two Hellbats that follow you around on use. What the game doesn't tell you is that those are your units, meaning that they are buffed by Black Pool if Azmodan happens to be standing in it. Additionally, Black Pool's 75% Ability Power bonus applies to the Mini Nuke item, meaning that you'll be able to hit the final boss for a cool 14,000 damage whenever you feel like it. Sucks about Taste for Blood not counting Zerglings as a complete stack, though.
  • Malfurion rips through the enemy non-Heroics if you do a full Moonfire build, which is amazing for speedrunning.
  • Lucio is a must-have for speedrunning because players are not allowed to mount for this brawl.

Kith fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 25, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Power Bottom posted:

Short list of why certain characters didn't make the grade for the brawl:
  • They were utterly, violently busted. Samuro, Tychus, Alarak, and Tassadar made the difficulty non-existent.
  • Their mechanics didn't mesh well with the Brawl's gameplay. Murky, Zul'jin, Lunara, and TLV are good examples.
  • They were being featured as bosses. So Kerrigan, Stitches, ect.
There are likely additional reasons, but I am not privy to those.

Edit: Also here are some of the sleeper hit characters for the brawl if y'all want to get unconventional and/or do speedruns:
  • Azmodan is arguably the most powerful character available if he gets the right Item setup in conjunction with Black Pool. The Reinforcements item spawns three Goliaths and two Hellbats that follow you around on use. What the game doesn't tell you is that those are your units, meaning that they are buffed by Black Pool if Azmodan happens to be standing in it. Additionally, Black Pool's 75% Ability Power bonus applies to the Mini Nuke item, meaning that you'll be able to hit the final boss for a cool 14,000 damage whenever you feel like it. Sucks about Taste for Blood not counting Zerglings as a complete stack, though.
  • Malfurion rips through the enemy non-Heroics if you do a full Moonfire build, which is amazing for speedrunning.
  • Lucio is a must-have for speedrunning because players are not allowed to mount for this brawl.

While I'm unclear on why Tassadar/Samuro were a problem, W-Build Greymane rips through everything because Ultralisks and bosses are all considered Heros so he has %damage everywhere, Cursed Bullet, and a stacking damage buff from takedowns.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I hope they do more PvE stuff, this is actually really fun

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Toshimo posted:

While I'm unclear on why Tassadar/Samuro were a problem, W-Build Greymane rips through everything because Ultralisks and bosses are all considered Heros so he has %damage everywhere, Cursed Bullet, and a stacking damage buff from takedowns.

Does Cursed Bullet work on the final boss?

Spudd posted:

I hope they do more PvE stuff, this is actually really fun

I want a challenge mode, with actual rewards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

lucifirius posted:

Does Cursed Bullet work on the final boss?

No. it doesn't work on the boss or on the hatching eggs. If you do have one hatch, it'll work on the hero that spawns, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Toshimo posted:

No. it doesn't work on the boss or on the hatching eggs. If you do have one hatch, it'll work on the hero that spawns, though.

It works but it only deals like.. 3k damage.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Yeah I just tested it, it's capped at about 3k damage. Not bad, and it's so easy to get the quest done for the extra damage.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Brawl is good. I prefer Khaz or Uther if I need to man up and support. Been using it as an easy way to grind some loot boxes. Maybe I will be I Hanjo soon

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Toshimo posted:

I'm wondering if Twin Blade Varian could like just solo this mode. He just rips everything a new rear end in a top hat and takes no damage while doing it. Doesn't help this mode shits globes at you so you can finish High King's really quickly.

On an unlreated note I was wondering why Thrall sorta fell off the face of the Earth, and I tried him and quickly figured out why dear lord he is just loving awful.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 25, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lucio >>> Reghar > Malfurion >>>>> Kharazim >>> Uther > Who's left? Medic and Brightwing?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm wondering if Twin Blade Varian could like just solo this mode. He just rips everything a new rear end in a top hat and takes no damage while doing it. Doesn't help this mode shits globes at you so you can finish High King's really quickly.

Varian has like zero AoE. Sonya is 10x better for this. So is Illidan.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Thrall is a solid pick all around. His waveclear isn't that great, but he brings great sustain and sustained damage + a fantastic teamfight ult or a good initiation with fissure. You can't slam pick him every single game like Sonya, but he usually does a good job on maps with prolonged fights.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Eraflure posted:

Thrall is a solid pick all around. His waveclear isn't that great, but he brings great sustain and sustained damage + a fantastic teamfight ult or a good initiation with fissure. You can't slam pick him every single game like Sonya, but he usually does a good job on maps with prolonged fights.

I dunno man, for an AA based melee assassin with really short ranged AA's, "running a bit faster" doesn't exactly cut it as a gap closer anymore, not to mention he gets blown the gently caress up way harder then someone like Sonya/Leroic/Malth. He also seems to be suffering from "walking ult syndrome" as well.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Toshimo posted:

Live, and it's a fixed 110k xp/run + Stimpack/Friend bonus. And sub-8 minute runs are easy if your group's not super dumb.

My very first group was super dumb, they split up completely halfway through the second second and it lead to a team wipe.

Other than that, it's interesting for sure. I hope they do more PvE stuff.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
How has no one mentioned guldan yet? He just rips through everything with fel flame. It was absurd.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013
I feel like a team based heavily around AAs would utterly rip this brawl to shreds if put together. Raynor, Greymane, Illidan, maybe Artanis, Morales for Stim, hoarding up all-team stim packs for the last boss. Given that the brawl's relatively easy, I feel like it's tailor-made to just finding new ways to rip it to shreds.

I do like how it also disables talents and heroics that both can't work during the brawl, like Rag's Lava Wave, but would also just break the brawl even more, like a full laser-build for Azmodan.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Some people are actually speedrunning the Brawls, they're at times just below 5 minutes. Apparently one of the tricks is gaining vision of the gate and having Illidan Hunt towards it instantly.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toshimo posted:

Tassadar had too many nice things. Psi Storm ate mobs and dealt a ton of damage against static targets (like bosses with simple AI). Oracle allowed for easy gate skips (send Illidan Hunting across the map to press the button ahead of time) and Abathur/Grunty kills. Twilight Archon meant you had Archon permanently for the final fight.

Samuro was completely unkillable because enemy AI is bad and had absurd DPS because he could stand in one place and just wail on things.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

So is there actually any benefit to the stealth change for the actual character?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

The stealth heroes are getting talent changes and damage buffs. Or things that are at least hopefully buffs, since less of their power budget is tied up in stealth.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Seebach posted:

So is there actually any benefit to the stealth change for the actual character?
Samuro gets illusion master on a 25 second cooldown baseline. Nova has a bunch of changes with the main buff being damage on decoys baseline (WHY)... snipe master baseline is more of a lateral move because her base snipe damage was reduced. Valeera's ambush has a teleport baseline. Zeratul has lots of changes including a new ulti. No Tyrande changes.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Illusion Master isn't baseline but the illusion swap part of it is, you still don't have control over them, you have to take the heroic for that which also lowers the cooldown for swap to 8 seconds (it's 6 in live so this is just a nerf for some reason).

Valeera's everything has a 5-range teleport baseline if you stay vanished for 3 seconds and gain the Deep Shadows affect. Her movement speed while Vanished is also 20% instead of 10%.

Samuro plays differently now but is probably worse overall in effectiveness. His mirror images do gently caress all for damage even though he himself does like 25% more baseline autoattack. Doing a swap and immediately Wind Walking to escape is kind of funny since you just see the stealth outline Samuro trying to power walk away.

Valeera is also not benefiting a whole lot from these because getting revealed removes half her toolbar and she's easier to reveal. She will either have to rely heavily on gaining the complete invisibility from standing still or smart use of bushes or the old ride up to someone without stealth, smash D and then Q/W/E immediately. The Garrote silence buff is pretty bonkers though, almost 3 seconds of silence.

I think Nova and Zeratul especially got straight up buffed and level 20+ Zeratul can be a terror from beyond the void now with loads of self-heal. The key difference wrt Zeratul and Valeera, he has access to all his skills etc even if he gets revealed, it doesn't disrupt his playstyle nearly as much, but Valeera has to risk her position for potentially no gain.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The brawl would have been fun if it had any kind of difficulty at all. There was almost no potential to get over run at all and I only saw one person total die in three runs of it because they stood in 100% of the final boss moves.

YolkaEd
Dec 26, 2013

Filipino Freakout posted:

Illusion Master isn't baseline but the illusion swap part of it is, you still don't have control over them, you have to take the heroic for that which also lowers the cooldown for swap to 8 seconds (it's 6 in live so this is just a nerf for some reason).

They're also adding passives to Illusion Master, which is doubling the damage the images deal, and boosting Samuro's damage by 10%. The slightly longer CD on the swap is probably just to compensate for those.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The joy of being a nanoboosted Artanis

(don't death count shame me please)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I die a bunch in the brawl because I go HAM on Greymane who has 0 sustain. We still finish fast, faster than we would if I stopped to do the dumb poo poo the pubbies are doing. Whenever I die because I'm 3 screens ahead, they fall all over each other to Rez me , which is how I keep us moving.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah you die if you try to speed run it. Best we did was 7:01.

Getting like 2.4 million+ xp per hour is pretty good lol

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The only times I've wiped in the brawl are when somebody ignores Abathur on the second screen. It can make the Zagara pit a bit treacherous when the Monstrosity sneaks up behind you.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Xul worked really well with skeleton build for me. I know I finished the first quest before the first checkpoint. You're killing so many things the skeletons are spawning and exploding non stop.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I played Greymane in this Brawl and then instantly bought him for QM. No sustain but it doesn't matter because he just kill kill kills. GFTT is too much fun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

the yellow dart posted:

I played Greymane in this Brawl and then instantly bought him for QM. No sustain but it doesn't matter because he just kill kill kills. GFTT is too much fun.

GFTT is good in regular games, but I wouldn't take it in brawl.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

so it turns out that the secret to escaping silver is to slam pick zul'jin every game

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Toshimo posted:

GFTT is good in regular games, but I wouldn't take it in brawl.

Well yes that is why I used it in QM. But it is super fun in either case. Being a werewolf rules.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

SirSamVimes posted:

so it turns out that the secret to escaping silver is to slam pick zul'jin every game

What's the hot ZJ build nowadays?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Here's my post about how I build him.

SirSamVimes posted:

His mage build is disgusting.

For the first two talents, it depends how safe you feel being aggressive. If you're not too confident staying alive, take Headhunter and Voodoo Shuffle. The extra range and share removal are a lot of survivability. If you are confident, take Recklessness and Amani Rage. Amani Rage allows you to activate your spellpower bonus and makes Guillotine more consistent.

Level 7 is Arcanite Axes. This is not negotiable. When your baseline quest comes online, you will start making GBS threads out stupid amounts of damage.

Level 10 is Guillotine. Especially with Amani Rage, it allows you to deal a huge aoe burst and is incredibly good for sniping runners.

Level 13 is Lacerate or Ensnare. Lacerate allows you to put a substantial 60% slow out on multiple targets but Ensnare allows you to lock down a single target and vaporise them with your full combo.

Level 16 is Wrong Place Wrong Time. By now your quest should have hit 150 but if it hasn't then this will get you the rest. Once you have the quest done and this talent, you will become a god of death and everything will melt before you.

Level 20 is Buzzsaw. Guillotine being good means the forward rolling is good now and a free full heal if you get a kill is really powerful. I've been tempted to try Forest Medicine but never got around to it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I had a Varian manage to lose the brawl for us by charging ahead and spawning 4 more heroes at the same time the monstrosity showed up. I was honestly impressed.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Grubby just posted a video to YouTube of a pretty wild Zuljin game where he went with more or less that exact build with the exception of picking Tazdingo and the related 20 talent because the other team had a ludicrous amount of hard engage due to a really good Artanis. Grubby died like 5 times in the first six minutes, then as the game went longer and longer you could watch Zuljin just getting increasingly more disgusting as it went on. He ended the game with 398 stacks on his base quest and 130 Arcanite Axe stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

there may be situations in which taz'dingo is technically better but there is nothing in this game that feels better than landing a guillotine snipe on multiple targets