Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
if you're going to give a company a billion dollars to open a branch in your city, paying them in their employees' income tax isn't a bad way of doing it. at least that way you never pay them more than they would have paid in

obviously you shouldn't give a company a billion dollars to open a branch in your city tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i dont understand why cities are tossing themselves at companies head-first to get them to move there and then reap none of the rewards

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fiedler posted:

Somebody was watching Robocop and decided OCP's relationship with Detroit was a good idea.

"they're supposed to" sounds laughably ominous

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

i dont understand why cities are tossing themselves at companies head-first to get them to move there and then reap none of the rewards

because then you get to run your mayoral election campaign by yelling I GOT 50000 AMAZON JOBS AND MADE BUMFUCK FLYOVER GARBAGE HELL THE SILICON VALLEY OF THE MIDWEST!!!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Suspicious Dish posted:

rising tide lifts all boats says man chaining himself to the bottom of the river

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like it's obviously not in the cities' best interest for any of these cities but god drat does "I MADE 50,000 JOBS" make a really good 3 second sound bite

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rjmccall posted:

if you're going to give a company a billion dollars to open a branch in your city, paying them in their employees' income tax isn't a bad way of doing it. at least that way you never pay them more than they would have paid in

obviously you shouldn't give a company a billion dollars to open a branch in your city tho

maybe just give them a direct corporate tax break instead of taking from the employees

like it's disgusting either way, and mathematically equivalent i guess, but man does "take all the taxes from the employees and make that go back to the company again because gently caress you" feel much worse

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

these aren’t exactly novel ideas that are being pitched, it’s not like places are whoring themselves out just because bezos came calling. they’d suck a golf ball through a garden hose if it got 5000 jobs, let alone 50k.

there’s a certain theory that it’s still a benefit for the municipality because people will move there, those people buy houses, those property taxes will go to the city, etc.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Bulgakov posted:

nasa has had some weird messy 'escape from the launchpad right now because rocket go wrong' plans, like an apc on the ready, but spacex will be the first with a zipline down to a ball pit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0w_xyePC_0

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

nasa has had some weird messy 'escape from the launchpad right now because rocket go wrong' plans, like an apc on the ready, but spacex will be the first with a zipline down to a ball pit

The Elon Musk zipline would be the goon made child killing zipline.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

at this point i'm pretty convinced that a majority of people in america would vote for a literal rabid baby-eating wolf if it promised them jobs

not even good jobs just like, steady employment

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

uncurable mlady posted:

these aren’t exactly novel ideas that are being pitched, it’s not like places are whoring themselves out just because bezos came calling. they’d suck a golf ball through a garden hose if it got 5000 jobs, let alone 50k.

there’s a certain theory that it’s still a benefit for the municipality because people will move there, those people buy houses, those property taxes will go to the city, etc.

yep. also the jobs created to support those new 50k employees, the spending done by said employees, etc. it's still a toxic idea because it's only going to cause other companies to attempt the same race-to-the-bottom gambit

i'm wondering how long it will be until pulling a stunt like this actually has the opposite effect politically. like 'i created 50k jobs!!' is outweighed by 'your motherfucker mayor sold this city out vote for me and i'll put them under a vice'

seeing the tech fetishism in my generation probably never

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my favorite fact about this is that after that all happened, the rocket was now live, completely fueled, unbolted from the pad and with a bigass parachute attached to it - everyone was terrified that it was going to fall over and explode because of the parachute tugging at it.

and it just stayed that way for hours, because nobody knew what the hell to do about it. one guy even suggested they go out and shoot holes in the side to drain it since that probably wouldn't blow it up :v:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

my favorite fact about this is that after that all happened, the rocket was now live, completely fueled, unbolted from the pad and with a bigass parachute attached to it - everyone was terrified that it was going to fall over and explode because of the parachute tugging at it.

and it just stayed that way for hours, because nobody knew what the hell to do about it. one guy even suggested they go out and shoot holes in the side to drain it since that probably wouldn't blow it up :v:

the most feared result from the trinity test was nothing, because some poor sap would have to go back to the live nuclear bomb and find out why

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Suspicious Dish posted:

well you're neglecting that tons of those cities aren't actually doing that.

the boston proposal, again, just has the city hire some guys for simplified relations with amazon, presumably for things like renovation and building licenses because that's what many other large employers/builders get.

many of the other city proposals are like that. or they're very short time limited property tax reductions/exemptions.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

there probably needs to be a prohibition of targeted corporate welfare in every state constitution

they'd need to carve out an exception for sports stadiums at a minimum to get it passed tho. at which point amazon will build a hockey rink in their new HQ to be paid for with their employees' withholdings.

well you see all of these ping pong tables in our building make this a table tennis facility and furthermore

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The Elon Musk zipline would be the goon made child killing zipline.

was that the one that hit some absurd speed with almost no braking area?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that’s the poo poo that was treepunk as hell yeah

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

was that the one that hit some absurd speed with almost no braking area?

60+ miles per hour, no braking area at all (dirt wall), and the thread worked out that the guy had overshot the generally accepted safe descent angle for that type of zipline by a factor of nineteen (i.e. he had it at like 47 degrees when usually it should be 2.5)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that kills children, entirely by accident

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

at this point i'm pretty convinced that a majority of people in america would vote for a literal rabid baby-eating wolf if it promised them jobs

not even good jobs just like, steady employment

what if the jobs were as prison guards, but every other month you trade places with the prisoners and they get paid to guard you?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pseudorandom name posted:

what if the jobs were as prison guards, but every other month you trade places with the prisoners and they get paid to guard you?

I too have read The Heart Goes Last

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

maybe just give them a direct corporate tax break instead of taking from the employees

like it's disgusting either way, and mathematically equivalent i guess, but man does "take all the taxes from the employees and make that go back to the company again because gently caress you" feel much worse

i guess the theory is they only get the benefit to whatever extent they actually employ people in the city, so it encourages jerbs

otoh 50k people living and working in your city without contributing to the income tax base seems very stupid. in theory it's a net gain if the employees are hired locally and it leads to a comparable reduction in the unemployed population of the city. in practice i'm not trusting politicians to follow an unbiased economic analysis

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

one of the finest posts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

well you're neglecting that tons of those cities aren't actually doing that.

the boston proposal, again, just has the city hire some guys for simplified relations with amazon, presumably for things like renovation and building licenses because that's what many other large employers/builders get.

many of the other city proposals are like that. or they're very short time limited property tax reductions/exemptions.

i don't think anyone said every city is doing this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

did a kid actually die? where's the thread (do i need archives)?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

cis autodrag posted:

the goons smacked sense into the idiot before they opened the thing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

nah they figured it out before ever using it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my dad made a fairly short zipline when i was a kid and it had like, a rubber end stop and you could get going just fast enough to hit it and swing out at the end and i got really good at letting go right as i swung out and dong this super cool like mid air half-flip and landing on my feet all badass :c00lbert:

that's my zipline story thanks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

also sales tax, school district taxes, etc., and the jobs will presumably stick around after the breaks end because once you've got a big headquarters in the area it's really expensive to move — more because of the people who won't relocate than the people who will. companies that abandon a headquarters generally do so because they're massively contracting, and amazon seems like it'll be super healthy for the foreseeable future

dropping huge amounts of public money on a stadium is (in addition to all the moral arguments) really dumb because there's very little evidence that stadiums actually contribute very much to the local economy long-term, especially if you're just talking about an upgrade for an existing team. creating temporary tax breaks to entice corporate expansions is still pretty dumb, but mostly just because you're often "incentivizing" behavior that companies were already going to do, and also the point at which you need those revenues the most is actually the time you're not getting them: when the company shows up and starts demanding more local services. but like what boston is proposing seems fine

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cis autodrag posted:

it was a goon project, what do u think?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cis autodrag posted:

i think the thread is goldmined it's not, but someone archived it here, and yes, you need to read it.

they figured out their kid-weight test load was hitting 65mph, and decided against human trials IIRC

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 26, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

rjmccall posted:

also sales tax, school district taxes, etc., and the jobs will presumably stick around after the breaks end because once you've got a big headquarters in the area it's really expensive to move — more because of the people who won't relocate than the people who will. companies that abandon a headquarters generally do so because they're massively contracting, and amazon seems like it'll be super healthy for the foreseeable future

dropping huge amounts of public money on a stadium is (in addition to all the moral arguments) really dumb because there's very little evidence that stadiums actually contribute very much to the local economy long-term, especially if you're just talking about an upgrade for an existing team. creating temporary tax breaks to entice corporate expansions is still pretty dumb, but mostly just because you're often "incentivizing" behavior that companies were already going to do, and also the point at which you need those revenues the most is actually the time you're not getting them: when the company shows up and starts demanding more local services. but like what boston is proposing seems fine

https://twitter.com/abbyangriest/status/934458434803699718

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

this is actually a very smart idea

Quebec implemented province wide heavily subsidized child care and the effect on the GDP has been ridiculously positive because hey now it makes sense for single parents and parents of lots of kids to go back to work and also all the daycare teachers they had to hire

but you don't hear about it because English media can't talk about Quebec positively, I think it's forbidden by the constitution or something

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

FrozenVent posted:

this is actually a very smart idea

Quebec implemented province wide heavily subsidized child care and the effect on the GDP has been ridiculously positive because hey now it makes sense for single parents and parents of lots of kids to go back to work and also all the daycare teachers they had to hire

but you don't hear about it because English media can't talk about Quebec positively, I think it's forbidden by the constitution or something

the suburbs will never let this happen

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the suburbs shut up real quick when they got told they'd pay $25/week for daycare too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

FrozenVent posted:

the suburbs shut up real quick when they got told they'd pay $25/week for daycare too

no suburban would ever be happy about knowing that poor minorities are being helped

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

I know this is like 5 pages old, but there are 2 good reasons for this

1) FB doesn't want to sell advertisers actual ethnicity, just some audience behavioral segment (since they only know about who you are friends with and what you post about, so they don't know your "real ethnicity")

2) FB doesn't really want to sell you segments at all, since it messes with their ability to do optimization. They want to figure out who your ad performs with, target those people with some simple machine learning, and then maybe give you a nice report at the end. I predict that the targeted segments will only become more anemic and expensive as time goes on

the problem is that their machine learning and targeting doesn't loving work

they offer segments and manual targeting because advertisers demand it. and they will continue to offer it because their poo poo is never going to loving work

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

no suburban would ever be happy about knowing that poor minorities are being helped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the trick is to make it happen for everyone, but that kind of requires a widespread social consciousness to do that

• Locked thread