Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Daredevil rescued that guy, Melvin?, who made Kingpin a John Wick assassin suit and then made Matt a similarly bullet and knife resistant costume. Probably was some illegal Vulture alien tech in those, that stuff is all over the black market in New York now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Daredevil rescued that guy, Melvin?, who made Kingpin a John Wick assassin suit and then made Matt a similarly bullet and knife resistant costume. Probably was some illegal Vulture alien tech in those, that stuff is all over the black market in New York now.

Yeah, but someone's already spoiled that Melvin's a comic book character called Gladiator or something, so that one didn't shock me.

Now if that hitman with the knife he fought in the first episode or that guy who was abusing his daughter that he told Foggy about is a huge character in the comics that'll throw me off again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, but someone's already spoiled that Melvin's a comic book character called Gladiator or something, so that one didn't shock me.

Now if that hitman with the knife he fought in the first episode or that guy who was abusing his daughter that he told Foggy about is a huge character in the comics that'll throw me off again.

Nah, only example of that I can think of is Leland Owlsely talking about his son, who's a villain called the Owl. Claire Temple is for all intents and purposes the character Night Nurse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So the Punisher being super good got me pumped on Marvel, so i watched both Avengers, Iron Man 1 and 3 (2 sucks I skipped it), Dr. Strange, Homecoming and Winter Soldier/Civil War.

If Hawkeye and Black Widow can make the Avengers Cut, how is Frank Castle not on there? I mean, realistically, he's only got a marginally higher body count than widow probably?

It's also weird to see him lose to Daredevil or get beaten up by kingpin in DDS2, when the Frank Castle from the Punisher series would choke them with his own intestines.

EDIT: Paul Rudd's Ant Man struck me as a weirdly whiny loser in Civil War, is the Ant-Man movie just that for 90 minutes or is he less of a charicature in his own film? i like Paul Rudd but he seemed like that "Duh, which way did he go, george?" guy in Civil War

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Antman in MCU is a fish out of water superhero movie. Probably better to watch antman before the avengers movie he is in. I liked it, but you might not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man is my favorite MCU hero.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

So the Punisher being super good got me pumped on Marvel, so i watched both Avengers, Iron Man 1 and 3 (2 sucks I skipped it), Dr. Strange, Homecoming and Winter Soldier/Civil War.

If Hawkeye and Black Widow can make the Avengers Cut, how is Frank Castle not on there? I mean, realistically, he's only got a marginally higher body count than widow probably?

It's also weird to see him lose to Daredevil or get beaten up by kingpin in DDS2, when the Frank Castle from the Punisher series would choke them with his own intestines.

EDIT: Paul Rudd's Ant Man struck me as a weirdly whiny loser in Civil War, is the Ant-Man movie just that for 90 minutes or is he less of a charicature in his own film? i like Paul Rudd but he seemed like that "Duh, which way did he go, george?" guy in Civil War

If you think Tony Stark doesn't play well with others, Frank Castle is in a whole other world. Pre-Cerberus, sure he probably could have become a fine SHIELD agent, but at this point? I think every superhero team alive takes a long look at Frank Castle and says nope we do not want this guy on our team.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah buy given that 80% of the Avengers have military background I figured he could probably fight right in, but yeah, he's headshot the first dude and everyone would be like "drat" and he'd be like "You threw him off a building, Cap, he is definitely paralyzed, at least Im humane"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

That's all before 2016, where Bernthal first actually shows up as the Punisher. And Punisher takes place after DDS2, so I guess he got stronger than before.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Being reminded that the Punisher and Doctor Strange technically exist in the same universe now means that there is a non-zero possibility of Sorcerer Extreme happening. I mean, it's pretty close to zero, like infinitely approaching zero but never reaching it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I feel like calling Scott Lang "whiny" is kinda off. He's not not a loser, but he's just really endearingly chipper and enthusiastic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah buy given that 80% of the Avengers have military background I figured he could probably fight right in, but yeah, he's headshot the first dude and everyone would be like "drat" and he'd be like "You threw him off a building, Cap, he is definitely paralyzed, at least Im humane"

I dunno, Frank seems like the kind of guy who might show up and shoot at the same people you're fighting, but isn't one to stick around or be a team player. Netflix Frank seems to be a very personally motivated guy, he fights for what affects him personally or at least those he cares about, not for larger causes. Help him and he'll help you back, but he won't put on your team's jersey.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I haven't finished the series yet, but drat, it's literally keeping me at the edge of my seat. Even if it's a slow paced scene I have my whole attention on it :suspense:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm almost done with the Punisher Series. I read all of the Punisher MAX series, so without spoiling anything, I completely understand why that person is the main antagonist.

As soon as i heard his last time, ohhh boy.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 25, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Also I feel like calling Scott Lang "whiny" is kinda off. He's not not a loser, but he's just really endearingly chipper and enthusiastic.

Yeah, especially in civil war where he's basically making GBS threads his pants in glee that he's working with Cap.

Anyway, Ant Man is a really fun heist movie, but with superpowers, and that guy should watch it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Ant-Man was one of the most enjoyable MCU movies for me. It did something a bit different, and due to how the suit works all the set pieces are fun as hell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bust Rodd posted:

Frank doesn't give a poo poo about the avengers

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

AngryBooch posted:

It really bothers me how ineffective that tech became in Season 2 and Defenders.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazy posted:

It really bothers me how ineffective that tech became in Season 2 and Defenders.

Also the S1 scarf on head thing looked way, way cooler.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just finished the Punisher series. It was everything I wanted it to be, so i already rank it with Daredevil Season 1 and 2. With Luke Cage coming in at a close fourth.

That was about the best human like portrayal of the punisher i've seen yet. Normally in the comics he's definitely mid-way into his one man war/crusade, so you don't really see a lot of development that you'd normally see in a TV show or something.

Trouble is, when you hear some of the names, and you've seen all the comics, you kinda know where things might lead. William Rawlins was a real piece of poo poo in the Punisher MAX series, and Pretty boy is one of Castle's long time enemies, outside of Kingpin and Bullseye, He's known as the man that has tangled with the punisher and lived, but not without any consequences. JIGSAW.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 25, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Pretty boy is one of Castle's long time enemies, outside of Kingpin and Bullseye, He's known as the man that has tangled with the punisher and lived, but not without any consequences. JIGSAW.

From my limited Punisher knowledge, I thought The Russian and Barracuda were constants too.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
The problem with the Punisher in the comics is that he doesn't have very many iconic villains of his own, mostly because of all the murder. A lot of interesting recurring villains show up in maybe 2 or 3 arcs and then die horribly. Then they have to come up with somebody new. Even Barracuda and The Russian weren't really around all that long.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RareAcumen posted:

From my limited Punisher knowledge, I thought The Russian and Barracuda were constants too.

nael posted:

The problem with the Punisher in the comics is that he doesn't have very many iconic villains of his own, mostly because of all the murder. A lot of interesting recurring villains show up in maybe 2 or 3 arcs and then die horribly. Then they have to come up with somebody new. Even Barracuda and The Russian weren't really around all that long.

And that's the reason why. Punisher doesn't have many recurring villains. As far as my own limited Punisher Knowledge goes, Bullseye and Kingpin are recurring because they are also big villains to spiderman and daredevil and any other hero that lives in new york.

As awesome as it was, The Russian and Barracuda's Punisher MAX were both two time deals. Jigsaw has always been considered as one of Punisher's major enemies.

If they were taking anything else from Punisher MAX. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if an up and coming capo named Nicky Cavella caught Frank's attention in a big way in season 2.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 25, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Punisher just needs enemies that Frank can't shoot away. For many writers this has meant having him get into constant "misunderstandings" with other heroes.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

If they were taking anything else from Punisher MAX. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if an up and coming capo named Nicky Cavella caught Frank's attention in a big way in season 2.

Nicky Cavella's death always stuck out to me as especially hosed up. Like, it wasn't especially graphic or gross on panel, but the absolute cruelty of it was insane.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nael posted:

Nicky Cavella's death always stuck out to me as especially hosed up. Like, it wasn't especially graphic or gross on panel, but the absolute cruelty of it was insane.

Are you talking the completely mis-used Punisher Warzone movie? Or the Punisher MAX issue Up is down, Black is white? Because I'm pretty sure he deserved it after getting his attention that way.

In the end though, just like Castle said "You made it personal [Cavella], but all that does is buy you a little more pain than most."

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I was referring to the Max Issue. He not only deserved it, but was an absolute idiot for thinking what he did would end any other way.

edit:I don't even remember Cavella in the Warzone movie. Was he just a random henchman who got a name drop?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

nael posted:

I was referring to the Max Issue. He not only deserved it, but was an absolute idiot for thinking what he did would end any other way.

edit:I don't even remember Cavella in the Warzone movie. Was he just a random henchman who got a name drop?

If i remember right from watching the movie like 6 years ago, It turns out that that last name Cavella was the undercover cop the punisher accidentally killed early in the movie. Thomas Jane was a big fan of the Punisher and turned down the role because of it when he read the script.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 25, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Punisher has a bunch of What If...? comics where he does work with SHIELD or become a SHIELD agent. At times, he has even worked for them for one reason or another. But even in a CIA-black ops squad like SHIELD, it usually is portrayed that Castle isn't a team player, he plays by his own rules, and answers to no one. Someone who doesn't respect the chain of command (IE Fury) and can't be controlled is hard to fit into SHIELD.

As for Avengers, outside of the in-universe explanation, outside of the universe you have to remember that Iron Man 1 was largely a gamble by Marvel Studios and they just kind of hoped to make a profit. When it was a huge hit, they started world building with Thor, Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk movies leading into the Avengers. These characters, besides Hulk, all had little public notoriety to the general, non comic book reading audience. Punisher, despite having several movies, video games, etc... probably had even less public perception. And I think it speaks volumes that later MCU movies have more of a message than the original ones as they play it very safe in order to capture the magic of IM1.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Part of the magic of Iron Man 1 was it was refreshingly fun after like 2 decades of grim dark bullshit

Iron Man 1 can’t ever happen again until this extreme oversaturation of comic book movies is over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, especially in civil war where he's basically making GBS threads his pants in glee that he's working with Cap.

Anyway, Ant Man is a really fun heist movie, but with superpowers, and that guy should watch it.

I love his line in Civil War: "Here's your shield, Captain America." He didn't have to say that at all, but you just knew he got a kick out of saying "Captain America"

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Ant Man was one of the best parts of Civil War. The movie is a bit too tense, but Rudd really lightens it up with his scenes. You get the feeling that if Iron Man had asked him first that he would have joined his side, just because he wants to meet a famous person.

Also the Giant Man scene had the best lines in the movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Ant Man was one of the best parts of Civil War. The movie is a bit too tense, but Rudd really lightens it up with his scenes. You get the feeling that if Iron Man had asked him first that he would have joined his side, just because he wants to meet a famous person.

Nah. Remember his line to Tony? "Hank Pym said to never trust a Stark"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Nah. Remember his line to Tony? "Hank Pym said to never trust a Stark"

I'm pretty sure that was more of a game of thrones joke than it was an actual statement of character intent.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I'm pretty sure that was more of a game of thrones joke than it was an actual statement of character intent.

At the beginning of Ant-Man it's shown Pym doesn't like Stark. I think later he even mentions that he doesn't want Stark to get his hands on his technology.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Tony's dad is in the SHIELD meeting room arguing for Hank to hand the technology over.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Are we still spoiler tagging Punisher? Just finished it and overall enjoyed it quite a bit:

PROS:

- First and foremost, the acting was top notch all the way around. I was never once jarred out of a scene by really piss poor delivery and I really have that tendency.
- Very well written, directed and paced (for the most part). I still can't wrap my head around people who say the show wasn't violent enough. Every character was well fleshed out, motivated and written.
- the costume reveal was bad rear end
- Very few plot holes or things left unexplained. For instance, at one point I was like "wait? Where are they getting money?" and then the show explained that. This happened a few times but then the show would take up whatever I was wondering about.
- Good action scenes consistently.
- Excellent job of showing not telling that so much of war comes down to money
- As complex as the plot and the plans got, it they never degenerated into "The Dark Knight" style "wait? What? How did this person get here and do that?" Not much, if anything, got hand waved and the double crosses were all adequately explained and shown.
- Watching Micro get jealous and the whole way that thing played out was great. Frank as the surrogate father and Micro as the absentee, both of whom have lost their families but in markedly different ways.
- I really liked the Lewis character and wished they'd kept him around a little longer. I liked having the pathetic "loser" character around in juxtaposition to Frank and Billy's constant bad-assery.

CONS:

- The last episode was the worst of the series. The merry go round locale felt ham-fisted and the whole way it was shot struck me as absurd given what we'd seen so far of Frank and Billy's tactical prowess. The hide and seek element made not sense to me on a little tiny carousel and I was expecting more of a fake out or clever use of the setting.
- So they just let Frank go? Twice? Bullshit.
- Jesus Christ the flashbacks. WE GET IT. That dance hall thing went on way too long and was the only time I fast forwarded anything.
- Karen Page. I liked her in DD but here she just came off as an annoying fangirl.
- How the gently caress did Frank not know about the cameras in Micro's house? WTF? He KNOWS the cameras are there. They show it. It's the whole reason Frank was sent to investigate in the first place when they went offline. This was the biggest (and only) plot hole.
- Frank's motherfucking Logan like healing powers. I can take him being above average tough and able to stand up to torture and poo poo but he was almost dead at one point. I don't know how many bullets, arrows and punches he took but they'd have taken weeks and months to recover from. It was like a loving MGS game the way he would use a medkit and instantly be kicking rear end again. The show would have been better if they'd showed him recovering for a month (while Micro and Madani do poo poo) or just shown how good Frank is at avoiding damage.

I'm with everybody else that it ranks second behind DDs1. I really hope Frank is back for DDs3 because I'd like to see the dynamic between him and Fisk explored some more and think there's some untapped potential there. Plus Barenthal and D'Onofrio are my favorite actors in these shows.

Whoever said it reminded me of First Blood was pretty spot on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Davros1 posted:

At the beginning of Ant-Man it's shown Pym doesn't like Stark. I think later he even mentions that he doesn't want Stark to get his hands on his technology.

Welp, time to re-watch Antman I guess

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Regarding Frank's durability: he's a noir protagonist and action hero. Being able to take shitloads of punishment and keep trucking is kind of a thing for both of those archetypes.