Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
FTR your opinion on video games and women are pretty awful

color me fuckin surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

As a point of comparison this is how out of control things were back in 2014

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2e2vk5/keeping_em_honest_take_ii_a_breakdown_of_claims/

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

I watched like 2 minutes, does it get worse than "This actress is great, this character is great, I like her work, I think she did a good job, BUT STAR WARS NO GIRLS ALLOWED!!!!! gently caress YOU SJWS!!!"?

Because watching someone mentally faceplant like that is kinda expected for a cultist. Not that he isn't clearly wrong even by his own argument contradicting itself, but it felt like that kind of brokeness is what allowed citizenship to infect his brain in the first place.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

ps. loving coward, I see you still have me on mod block in your lovely channel.

quote:

Please do NOT quote these BLOCKED CLOWNS etc etc

Whats the one about glass houses?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

G0RF posted:

Imagine you spent used car, new car, or even new luxury car money to pre-buy the game all but promising to transcend all games and become the first Quadruple A title in history.

Honestly, huge amounts of money wasted actually helps the con.

Tony Robbins is a good example of this, but so is Scientology. Robbins starts off affordable, but his thing is a sales channel for more and more expensive events, conferences, etc. At some point, it occurs to most people suckered in by this "my god, I've wasted tens of thousands of dollars on garbage." At this point, they can either admit they were taken (damaging to ego) or - just keep right on believing and spending money. Most people who get really sucked in to these sorta things tend to choose B.

tooterfish posted:

You realise CIG and the dumbass backers already literally think this? It's impossible to raise their expectations any higher than they are already. I think Chris genuinely thinks he's a god (although that's probably side effect of cocaine abuse).

The "last game you'll ever need" thing isn't something we made up, it's a direct loving quote from a cultist.

Good God.

I don't know if anyone here has seen "the Man Who Would be King" but I'm sorta hoping for the ending of that is where I'm going with this

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whats the one about glass houses?

The utility bills are huge and all your neighbors can see you pooping?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I was reading the excellent catalog of Star Citizen highlights, and I had a thought

Maybe we've been doing this all wrong

What if instead of rational analysis and all this negativity, we should

wait for it

we should be inflating people's expectations way past what Croberts can manage. Like get people believing it's not only going to be a realistic fun space sim, but it's also going to be literally the best shooter, best RPG, best MMO, best dating sim, Best Super Mario Kart, all of it

Playing it for three hours a day on weekdays will give you the physique of Super Man/Wonder Woman in six months

You will make so much money that your financial stresses will be over

Your cat will come back after you foolishly left it outside

It will have music that will function as both music and background noise, like in Blade Runner or Super Metroid but be better than either of those

Chris Roberts will become a personal friend who will always watch over you, whispering into your cell phone, getting you money, out of scrapes. You will be his blessed secret agent, like in the Gene Wolfe short story Westwind

I tried to get that Hype Train chugging. I really did.

Sarsapariller posted:

You don't know me! I can quit any time I want.

Seriously though, even in fun it's a good warning. But I'm unlikely to forget. I made a mistake when 2.0 launched and it seemed like a big leap forward. I thought it meant that after a dry spell they'd be making progress from then on. Obviously that wasn't true- they made their money, went quiet for basically the next 8 or 9 months, and by February I was out (again) and happily taking my lumps both here and offline for being so stupid.

Just making sure. I’m just glad you got clean again. I don’t underestimate their power to lure and woo — even I occasionally find myself wondering “drat Chris is talking cocky about the next release — did they finally crack the nut?”

Then I remind myself he’s pathological, narcissistic, deluded in the extreme and incapable of shame, self-flection or personal growth of the non-physical variety. And I realize, “No, they’re only cracking backers nuts again.”

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Currently to be eligible for a custom gang tag you have to be on the block list, I think. But I actually really want someone with artistic talent to come up with something like a "Blocked Buddies" gangtag so I can stop doing these individual uploads lol.

I'll try to work on one once I have some time on my hands.

Also I have no gang tag? I got ripped off!

Pantsbird
Nov 12, 2017

by Lowtax

ewe2 posted:

My bad, I conflated his bad post with yours. I would say that the problem of learning to program is being able to think about the logic in a way that doesn't require the syntax of any particular language.
I think people don't get taught well enough about what algorithms are and how to think about them.

Python looks simplistic but so should the basics of any language; if we accept that programming languages are a special form of written logic, we should encourage the clearest expression of that logic and for good reason: most code isn't written, it's maintained. Be glad that you might have to understand a Python program rather than an incomprehensible Perl program, or worse, C.

You teach people Python so they get the idea of coding, get into good habits of coding and can think about problems in a generalistic way. THEN you clobber them over the head with C++ and soon even Ruby looks good.

THEN you teach them about all the incompatible regular expression engines (a genuinely sucky aspect of Python) :devil:

Mentar: What kind of Construction language do you want to learn? Do you want to make a house, office tower, model town with train, or space station?

Chub: I don't know. I just heard that Construction was an Activity, leading to Job, and The quenching of the dread.

Mentar: Duck your head as the 1 SCU crate closes over you. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Chub: My course of action is so clear now that I can't move.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
fresh fud

https://i.imgur.com/x7ragTF.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This guy is going to be the guy to kill himself when they finally give up on releasing this game isn't he

Such a sad way to spend your life but at least for now it's making him happy

what? No, he's just going to latch into something else to buy his pain away.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

Just contrast this:

with this:

It's starting to feel like there's two entirely different Star Citizens with two different communities that just happen to share a forum.

:ssh:

Only one of the 2 mentioned groups actually plays the game

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FailureToReport posted:

drat, the highlight of coming to SA and he blocked me already. I'm not sure if I'm crushed more by that or the fact that he wrote a small novel I'm not going to bother reading before proving that he'd just try to act big and run for his block. Balls.

Congratulations, you've figured out SA!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FailureToReport posted:

If you ran a YT Channel, would you want Derek posting 8 paragraphs of nonsense you have to fact check and disprove every 30 minutes?

Yes, so I could auto-tag him as spam andd force all his posts to be moderated by me. Which I would then ignore because lol who gives a gently caress?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

From the Subreddit, funny enough

(link for "less" stuttery version)

https://imgur.com/LFSTAbu

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 26, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

3.0 is the comedy Jesus patch

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Combat Theory posted:

Drop in, drop out multiplayer is in and working well I see.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
10 pages back but catching up...

D_Smart posted:

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

First, I want to thank the Heavenly Father for continuing to show you loving heathens that the only true religion is one that is led by divine order, not some clueless moron born of man.

Second, I would like to thank the Goon (on my Discord) who bought you a $10 account so you could step out of your safe space and into the real digital world where you have no powa.

Oh, FYI, Goons buy accounts for fresh meat all the time. Paying 10 bux doesn't make you a Goon. It makes you a dumb gently caress who got roped into posting at the one place where everyone eats their young, and for good measure, even the old ladies, during a slow week. See: MoMa

I am also happy that you were dumb (I told you to take your meds, right?) enough to post this regurgitated vomit that's devoid of any logic (yeah, yeah, I know, Shitizens are as dumb as a bag of strap-on dildos in the bargain bin at a strip mall; but I digress) - at all.

Here's the thing. You and your turd-brained poo poo gargling girlfriends, ARE the reason that we're here, and the reason that the entire community is polarized.

The fact that you - and your circle jerk buddies - are still singing this "Oh you!!" mantra, is testament to the fact that you're all a bunch of completely broken gently caress sticks, bereft of anything resembling decent human beings worthy of being in society, let alone among normal people.

If your excuse for behaving the way that you have for the past years is because one POSITIVELY INSANE, AUTISTIC & CRANKY OLD GAME DEV wrote a loving blog (like nobody ever did that before, you see), then it makes the most sense that you all continued to give money to a bona fide scam artist who has all but poo poo in an ice cooler and passed it around so that you all can get the experience of what the turd from the guy you all made a millionaire, smells like.

In July 2015, I wrote the infamous "July Blog". In it, I said the game as pitched couldn't be made because Chris Roberts had extended the scope beyond the capabilities of the tech, the team, and the money.

They responded (at the behest of Sandi Gardiner & Ben Lesnick, according to my sources) by lying about why they kicked out my account and refunded me.

We now know - without a doubt - that the only reason why a multi-millionaire corp, led by a hapless wannabe visionary who has busted every loving project/company he ever touched, would even bother to respond to what many at the time believed to be the rantings of a "jealous" developer, is if there was SOME fact to what was written.

I have spent almost THREE loving DECADES building massive and complex games in the genre. Every loving tech you could possibly think of putting in a space/planetary combat game, I've either developed, or prototyped. And there is NOTHING in Star Citizen that's remotely revolutionary, groundbreaking, or original. Sure, my games aren't popular, they're not blockbusters, and they don't cater to a large audience. But so loving what? Anyone who knows my history, knows that I never - ever - set out to do that, or I would have changed course. A group of people keep buying the games that I make, so I kept making them. Audience size and revenue are irrelevant if you can make enough money to pay your bills and develop the games you want to develop. That's what an indie is. That's who I am, always was, and always will be.

Heck, just for the sheer fun of it, I just spent two loving weeks working on and releasing (on Thanksgiving Day, no less) a patch for a game I loving released in 2008, and which sold less than 100 copies in the past quarter. Why? Because I loving can, and because for me, it's fun, and it's what I do. I don't need a financial incentive as the primary reason for making games.

You loving retards attacking me and my games, doesn't loving faze me one bit. It's certainly not going to make Star Citizen a better, let alone a released, game.

Unlike you single testicled nut jobs, I put my money where my mouth is by actually paying attorneys in order to seek accountability for myself and the backers.

And then, even as they over-played their hand, they took it one step further by accusing me of stalking and harassment, even though there was no basis in fact, let alone in law, for it. Once again, I paid attorneys to give Ortwin, the other part of the scam, the redress his incompetent rear end was dying for.

Then The Escapist ended up doing an article in which other sources pretty much confirmed everything that I had been saying. Again, Chris over-played his hand by writing a kindergarten level diatribe in which he mentioned me over 5 dozen times - despite the fact that I had NOTHING to do with The Escapist article (which didn't even mention me).

And during all this time, 2 of the 3 things (financial accounting, dev schedule, refunds for those who are) that I asked for in my 2015 legal action, and which CIG was fighting against, ended up happening anyway. Why? Because it was the right loving call, and I knew it from the start.

Aside from all that, I had said that without the tech, the team, the money (at least $150M, they couldn't possibly build the loving game. That was 2.5 loving years ago. So far, I made that claim at around $75M. It's now $165M and it's not even out of pre-Alpha. And all the experienced people have since left, leaving mostly incompetent yes-men who are either just pulling a pay check, or towing the line.

When in 2016 they ended up switching engines (I wrote a whole loving blog about why that was BAD, not good) - without saying a loving thing about it beforehand - I said it was a loving waste of time because there is NO ENGINE on the planet that could build THAT game, most of you degenerate latte-sipping drama junkies, continued to attack me, while trying to theory-craft your way off an iceberg - even as Chris Roberts and his gang of fuckups, continued to PROVE ME RIGHT.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that I said SQ42 wasn't coming out in 2016. Again, I got attacked. CIG went on the record that it was totally, definitely coming out - pledge moah.

Then it didn't.

And I said that twice (for 2016 and 2017) because that's what sources said.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, back in Q4/2016 when I said that sources told me 3.0 didn't loving exist when Chris said it did - again, I got incessantly attacked. I thought "Fine. gently caress 'em; they'll see soon enough". So I spent a whole loving year documenting The Road To 3.0 timeline because I knew that, as these things go, you dumb-rear end schoolyard bullies are keen on revisionist history.

At the height of the 3.0 frenzy, I again wrote that sources said the entire dev schedule unveiled in April 2017, was pure and utter bullshit, and didn't reflect the internal schedule. Again, you glue huffing pinheads attacked me. Then slowly and slowly, this turned out to be true; and to the extent that it wasn't even a month ago that items started disappearing from the schedule, even though they never even appeared (as fixed or otherwise) in the schedule. Now, with the latest, NONE of that is even in the schedule.

But wait! There's more!

Through this whole time, I kept writing that 3.0 wasn't even ready for Evocati, that sources said it needed at least 6 months, that any earlier release would be a loving disaster (which we are now witnessing), and that it was a ploy for the CitizenCon shindig etc. Ignoring the fact that it was over a month ago, it conveniently got released - ahead of a sale - with loving obvious bugs which were either 1) already reported or 2) not even logged, thus providing ample evidence that even the special needs Evocati coffee-mainlining turd heaps who kept pretending that everything was OK and covering for CIG, were busy stroking their yogurt encrusted boners, having been let into the sekret club, instead of playing the loving game and helping to fix it. Which, considering that it was a pile of unplayable poo poo (just as I'd written), makes sense because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

As of today, the loving project is a dumpster fire, and is completely FUBAR. And we're not even talking about it being pre-Alpha; but the fact that 6 years + $165m later, they don't even have a loving CompSci project, let alone a vertical slice of EITHER game.

Any one of you boot-licking Trumpettes who would look at this loving schedule of promises, and think "Yeah, they're totally going to make that game" deserves to be fleeced of everything you have.

Since you are one of those broken-brained rear end-clowns, I have no loving reason to believe that you have fully divested yourself from the project, or you wouldn't be wishy-washy about it, let alone still making loving videos while acting all shocked as if you only just now discovered a dime size hole in your Strawberry flavored condom.

Like others who hide behind the confines of anonymity while taking potshots at people like me, somehow you think that we're just going to forget about all the poo poo that you peanut-basted fruitcakes have been doing this whole time. My one regret is that I wrote enough, with sufficient evidence, for you guys to get a refund. I would very much have liked for you all to go down with the ship in the impending final days that are now playing out.

Go gently caress yourself. You're all a bunch of...

ps: I found the evidence (1, 2) of your meltdown over the Amazon dev interview which I essentially killed. Again, unlike you guys, my version of reality is the real one.

pps: You are now on my block list as I have nothing further to say to you.

You're wrong.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'll try to work on one once I have some time on my hands.

Also I have no gang tag? I got ripped off!

Make a "Blocked Buddies" Gangtag for all us plebs on the block list and I'll hook you up with one.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

Yeah, you need a few hello worlds, number crunchers, data jumblers, and interactive text prompts under your belt before you jump into afternoon leisure time reading Knuth. You get there pretty quick if you are driven, though.

To me, the hardest part wasn't the hardcore theory, or anything about code structure, it was always learning the libraries. I pretty much knew java after skimming over it once for a few minutes. Remembering the libraries tho

It's pretty shameful how many Java libs I've re-written because either I didn't search the javadoc, or did, and forgot. I've even re-written the same lib more than once.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

omg :laffo:

I mean this is turning into Monty Python here.

Everything about it is pure comedy. From the awkward side-stance when the door opens, to the janky back-gun, to the expressionless pratfall through the geometry, to the way the camera pans down to follow the falling commando. Holy poo poo. That's gold.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Pi dude posted:

Drop in, drop out multiplayer is in and working well I see.
That's even better than the "Getting in on the ground floor!" earlier

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Golli posted:

My favorite was an MS in Information Technology.

Question: What's the difference between a router and a switch?
,awkward silence.
.more awkward silence.
A: You mean like a light switch?

Brutal. That's when I transition right into "Ok, so tell me about the hardest problem you ever solved."

But these days it's more like:

Question: <something basic>
<awkward silence>
<the sound of keyboard typing>
<awkward silence while candidate parses search results, panic is palpable>
Answer: <reads google search results that I already have up>

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Quavers posted:

10 pages back but catching up...

You're wrong.

Come on Quavers. If you'll reference my July post on how to win new internet arguments and alienate people, you will see that your technique here is quite mediocre.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Good heavens. 10 pages in a few hours? Did 3.0.1 come out and it’s awesome?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Ok. I see now for the pages. We went full warlord.

You guys should know better than to go full warlord. :kingsley:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Good heavens. 10 pages in a few hours? Did 3.0.1 come out and it’s awesome?

Corwin of Amber posted:

of Shadow I have this to say: there is Shadow and there is Substance, and this is the root of all things. Of Substance, there is only Amber, the real city, upon the real Earth, which contains everything. Of Shadow, there is an infinitude of things. Every possibility exists somewhere as a Shadow of the real. Amber, by its very existence, has cast such in all directions. And what may one say of it beyond? Shadow extends from Amber to Chaos, and all things are possible within it... except for Star Citizen, so for gently caress's sake stop giving Chris Roberts money.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Please don't quote Dereks entire spiel every time, my carpal tunnel is bad enough without having to scroll past twenty pages every other quote

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

The doors have departed the ship altogether:

This is great only because the longest running joke, and CIGs sad reality, is that no matter how many years they get into this thing, and the promise of so many things like AI indistinguishable from humans, is the fact they can’t figure out doors in their game.

loving doors will be what brings CIG down.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

TheAgent posted:

hey, he and derek share an interest. maybe they can be pals

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sharik posted:

I hear they're currently loading the next crate of poor commandos to this assignment. You might get in if you hurry

:lol:

This is great! I’m coming aboard now, inside a crate! I’m ready to jump out though and show everybody the ultimate hot tub cleaning they so deserve!

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

In other game news, here's the post-release dev diary for Hellblade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvATt2VBxU

They use trigger words like "no publisher" and "transparent development." Which, in their case, allowed them to release the game at a reduced price point. :aaa:

The art, sound, and animations for the game are really polished and stylistically balls-out crazy. Here's an interview with their animator:

https://80.lv/articles/the-animation-of-hellblade-senuas-sacrifice/

It's cool to see a lean dev team pour a ton of good work into a crazy passion project. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Haha... are people actually buying this poo poo? At this point? That’s crazy. Especially after EA got their hand slapped, here comes CIG with the rush of stupidity.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

btw todays funding was absolutely anemic, considering:

they had two new ships for sale, the hammerhead for $650 and the new whatever for $80

they also put up some limited quantities of the idris and javelin (two of the most expensive ships, at $1250 and $2500 respectively)

$1m today ain't poo poo. this is really loving bad for them

There are people who spent $4,000 today. After everything that's happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7fk60h/okay_lads_post_your_hauls_wishlist/?st=jagbqqwm&sh=9aa8c028

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

The Titanic posted:

This is great only because the longest running joke, and CIGs sad reality, is that no matter how many years they get into this thing, and the promise of so many things like AI indistinguishable from humans, is the fact they can’t figure out doors in their game.

loving doors will be what brings CIG down.

or will doors be Star Citizen's charming little quirk, like Skyrim's corpses that occasionally spin wildly and fling themselves 50 feet into the air?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Please don't quote Dereks entire spiel every time, my carpal tunnel is bad enough without having to scroll past twenty pages every other quote

Don't scroll past, it is worth to read everytime it's quoted.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

hey, he and derek share an interest. maybe they can be pals

Are you saying that the last last ten pages of their choral liturgy did not allude you to an absolutely graphic verbal hatefuck scene?

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Winter Stormer posted:

or will doors be Star Citizen's charming little quirk, like Skyrim's corpses that occasionally spin wildly and fling themselves 50 feet into the air?

No.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Winter Stormer posted:

With Skyrim's hosed-up physics, you say "lol look at that" and then continue whatever you were doing. With Star Citizen's doors you say "god dammit I can't get out of my ship gently caress oh whoops I clipped through the floor well at least I'm out oh the game crashed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I... I doxxed them. I doxxed them all. They're doxxed, every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women and the children too.

You monster!