Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does anyone else really like the shop music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait no, don't change the subject. I'm still mad that I need to master a basic technique in order to complete optional post game content!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I beat Iceburn Circuit Class S with a time of 1:54, two seconds slower than my best time. My best time was a second place finish, as were other runs with 1:54.

The difference between them was that I had a great third lap on my successful run. In the others I had good earlier laps but slipped a bit in the third lap. I suppose the game applies a slight rubber band so that even if you slip up early you still can win if you rally late.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Just to confirm, there is something, however so small, for getting 999 moons, right? Or is it just a :awesome: thing?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Drewjitsu posted:

Just to confirm, there is something, however so small, for getting 999 moons, right? Or is it just a :awesome: thing?

It’s 880 legit moons, not 999

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

It’s 880 legit moons, not 999

It's both. There's something at 880 and something at 999.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
This is the first time I’ve gotten to a modern Mario’s final challenge level and hachi machi
Do you get anything for killing the purple ufo guy way at the beginning? Because they seriously made goombas the most dangerous enemy in this game and if there’s nothing for beating that guy why even bother

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Calaveron posted:

This is the first time I’ve gotten to a modern Mario’s final challenge level and hachi machi
Do you get anything for killing the purple ufo guy way at the beginning? Because they seriously made goombas the most dangerous enemy in this game and if there’s nothing for beating that guy why even bother

super heart, so yeah. dont bother

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calaveron posted:

You get a super heart and you honestly don’t need to worry about your heart situation til the second half (and barely then) so just grab the heart from the sphynx later. You also are just given extra health in the very final segment for free

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Calaveron posted:

If you do want to kill it, do it from the ledge behind it. Don't bother messing with the goombas at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Two questions.

1. in the top of the pyramid, there is an area that has moving pillars, with a secret room on the right. at the end there is a 2D area that has bullet bills shooting out. I have flown all over the area and have no idea how to finish it or get into the 2D painting. What am I missing here?

2. What is everyone talking about with triple jump? I can't even get him to double jump. I know there is the stomp on hat move which I suck at getting to work, but someone was saying something about how you just hit jump 3 times? What?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

veni veni veni posted:

2. What is everyone talking about with triple jump? I can't even get him to double jump. I know there is the stomp on hat move which I suck at getting to work, but someone was saying something about how you just hit jump 3 times? What?
Find yourself a large area like New Donk and run forward in a straight line. Jump. Jump when you land. Jump when you land again.

That's a double jump and a triple jump. You can also do a double jump while standing in place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Run forward. While continuing to move forward, jump, then press jump immediately upon landing in order to do a double jump. Then press jump again when you land from the double jump to do a triple jump.

You can't do a triple jump if you're not moving forward the whole time. That is, you can't do it from a stationary start, and you can't do it if you change direction during the double jump.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh ok I see. I was imagining the more traditional definition of a double jump i.e jumping at the peak of a jump for extra air.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Two questions.

1. in the top of the pyramid, there is an area that has moving pillars, with a secret room on the right. at the end there is a 2D area that has bullet bills shooting out. I have flown all over the area and have no idea how to finish it or get into the 2D painting. What am I missing here?

this took me FOREVER omg there’s a catapult thing on the ground somewhere that’ll take you into the lower part of the pyramid

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I think the worst part of Darker Side is definitely the poodooboo section because man if you miss your running start by a millimeter you’re not making it to the second to last lava pool
But I’ll definitely feel like a badass once I actually beat it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And I hope there’s a big thing spelling out THANK YOU like all final Mario levels since Super Mario World

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

I think the worst part of Darker Side is definitely the poodooboo section because man if you miss your running start by a millimeter you’re not making it to the second to last lava pool
But I’ll definitely feel like a badass once I actually beat it

The Podobo section is pretty easy, just hold the dash button.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Darker Side is entirely a process of learning/perfecting/surviving small sections, since there's a heart after every single part. A truly hard Darker Side wouldn't include any hearts at all.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Podobo section is pretty easy, just hold the dash button.

I had more luck with that NOT pressing the dash button. Barely grazing the wall of the lava pit stops all your momentum, which seems like the issue with that section. I.E. treat it like Operation.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Guys what the gently caress. The triple jump is the thing where you jump three times as you run and you get higher as it goes on!!!! This has been a thing since MARIO 64!!!!!!! IT HAS BEEN IN LIKE EVERY MAJOR MARIO GAME SINCE, EVEN NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.

IS THIS ALL A BIG PRANK?? WHAT IS THIS

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'll never get tired of the final boss/ending sequence
I liked how the game telegraphed the moon being a location you'll go to since it's visible on every major cutscene, is right there on the world map screen, and I'm fairly sure is also visible maybe in every level? Still, super cool when the option to travel there popped up on the screen

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Calaveron posted:

I'll never get tired of the final boss/ending sequence
I liked how the game telegraphed the moon being a location you'll go to since it's visible on every major cutscene, is right there on the world map screen, and I'm fairly sure is also visible maybe in every level? Still, super cool when the option to travel there popped up on the screen
It's also in the song.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Guys what the gently caress. The triple jump is the thing where you jump three times as you run and you get higher as it goes on!!!! This has been a thing since MARIO 64!!!!!!! IT HAS BEEN IN LIKE EVERY MAJOR MARIO GAME SINCE, EVEN NEW SUPER MARIO BROS.

IS THIS ALL A BIG PRANK?? WHAT IS THIS

If I gave it a name I would not call it a triple jump going off of the video game status quo. Double jumping means something else in like, every single game ever made.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are college students younger than the triple jump.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Motto posted:

Don't do this to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

Funny, I wasn't aware the only other game to use the triple-jump was Super Mario 64 :thunk:.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mario the character is canonically 24 years old.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Funny, I wasn't aware the only other game to use the triple-jump was Super Mario 64 :thunk:.

I think they were responding to the idea that triple jump goes against established video game naming when it's been around so long that it IS established video game naming

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Triple jump predates Mario 64. Its literally an Olympic event.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The same applies to the long jump.

Frankly its about time for the olympics to finally recognize the spin and cap jump events

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Plus the triple jump was in a game boy game from like 93.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cobalt Viper posted:

It's also in the song.

Plus the Broodals

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I never really understood twitch until I started watching trihex. His odyssey marathon has been amazing and it sounds like he's got some other awesome content planned for the future.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/one_t_matt/status/933562223112286208

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/934839642452508672

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Doki Doki Mario Club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
finally unlocked darker side, got to the lava forks before calling it for now. Jesus. Next time im just keeping the lizard

• Locked thread