Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Of course the really great thing about the Giant Gila Monster is just how often a scene would involve one or more characters walking to a spot and then propping their leg up on something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

muscles like this! posted:

Of course the really great thing about the Giant Gila Monster is just how often a scene would involve one or more characters walking to a spot and then propping their leg up on something.

Smart boy would do well to put his leg up on something like that.

I love Joel doing fun movie facts for the Gila Monster. "When they make noises like this, it's called 'Foley.' I'll be back later with another fun fact!"

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Jet Jaguar posted:

I love Joel doing fun movie facts for the Gila Monster. "When they make noises like this, it's called 'Foley.' I'll be back later with another fun fact!"

Anytime they do that type of voice is great (see also: King Dinosaur).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And also Ring of Terror.

"Hi folks, Satan here."

That's another movie where they spend more time setting up the "world" instead of focusing on the plot.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Rance Howard has died

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/25/entertainment/rance-howard-father-of-ron-obit/index.html

if you want to fire up your copy of Village of the Giants in tribute.

I love the Beau Brummels, so this film is in my Top Ten. And yes, everyone in the Beau Brummels looks like a cut-rate someone else (Al Pacino, Keanu Reeves, a giant duck, &c).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does the guy die in Ring of Terror anyways? I always give up on the movie sometime around the middle.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RandomPauI posted:

How does the guy die in Ring of Terror anyways? I always give up on the movie sometime around the middle.

He died of fear. And he was old, so I'm guessing heart attack.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Y'know that movie Urban Legends? Ring of Terror is that, if they'd picked just one urban legend and tried to make it carry an entire feature.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edward Mass posted:

I hope Cambot gets to do more in season 12. The SOL bridge was mainly static, and I felt those scenes needed more camera movement.

Hopefully they'll get to spend more time shooting the host segments. The Moon 13 stuff felt the same way

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Presumably they'll be able to take their time a bit more with this season!

I get the feeling the current cast is savvy enough to see the general consensus on what worked and didn't, & they probably won't be as rushed by scheduling and pregnancy. Hopefully!

This news made my day tho. The more MS3TK in the world, the better.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The host segments were probably compressed somewhat by the need for the huge backer credits on every episode.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I had to work on Turkey Day so I didn't get to see the marathon or the announcement of Season 12, but I'm very glad that they are going to do another season. Season 11 definitely had some missteps and stumbles, but that's understandable given how quickly they had to shoot it and get it done, and you could see that there definitely was a lot of talent at work there and a genuine love for the show on the part of everyone involved. So as long as they get plenty of time to shoot Season 12 this time around, I think we'll all be happy campers. :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I should have been more specific. Does middle aged college student die after someone says boo, throws a skull at him, etc?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He gets startled by Puma (Yo-Yo Ma?) screeching while he's trying to loot a ring off a corpse for his frat initiation, turns to flee, gets his coat caught on the corpse's hand, and then basically has a fatal freakout. Heart attack or something, probably.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

Rance Howard has died

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/25/entertainment/rance-howard-father-of-ron-obit/index.html

if you want to fire up your copy of Village of the Giants in tribute.

Supposedly his character was supposed to be killed by the giants but that part was never filmed. But he still disappears after that one scene.

Some other recent MST3K deaths:

Peter Baldwin: actor from The Space Children who became an Emmy-winning director
Keith Barron: actor from The Land that Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core
Harry Stradling Jr: cinematographer who did Mitchell even after getting two Oscar nominations
Don Pedro Colley: the Moorish spy from Quest of the Delta Knights; he was also in THX-1138 and Beneath the Planet of the Apes
Kim Ki-duk: Writer/Director of Yongary; he directed over sixty movies between 1961 and 1977
Jimmy Clem: Old Man Crenshaw from Boggy Creek; he was in a few other movies, including The Town that Dreaded Sundown

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Hogama posted:

He gets startled by Puma (Yo-Yo Ma?) screeching while he's trying to loot a ring off a corpse for his frat initiation, turns to flee, gets his coat caught on the corpse's hand, and then basically has a fatal freakout. Heart attack or something, probably.

The setup was that he had a reputation for being fearless, but when he was a kid he was traumatized by seeing a dead relative in their coffin, so he was terrified of corpses.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Giant Gila Monster has the same quality a lot of these really small movies have in that they're kinda like community theater: the director has friends who sing or dance or do tricks so let's make that a part of the movie! They don't know how to distinguish "things that might be fun" from "things that work in the context of the story we're telling."

See also the Andy Sidaris movies, which are one part action, one part T&A, and one part Asian Elvis impersonators and RC plane meet ups.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hogama posted:

AKA "the plot to that great Twilight Zone episode but without the gritty cowboys".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Just want to point out that due to the final minutes, Cry Wilderness qualifies as a Christmas movie.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

The host segments were probably compressed somewhat by the need for the huge backer credits on every episode.

nah, season 11 was always intended for internet distribution so there's no time window to meet. each episode could have been three hours long or whatever

the compression was just because they had a short window to film everything, which is also why they used the "liquid technology" excuse to cover up cuts since they didn't have time to reshoot skits if someone screwed up a line

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

boner confessor posted:

nah, season 11 was always intended for internet distribution so there's no time window to meet. each episode could have been three hours long or whatever

the compression was just because they had a short window to film everything, which is also why they used the "liquid technology" excuse to cover up cuts since they didn't have time to reshoot skits if someone screwed up a line

While it was always intended for digital distribution, Joel wants to keep episodes at 90 minutes for possible future syndication purposes. Several of the movies have scenes removed.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

duz posted:

While it was always intended for digital distribution, Joel wants to keep episodes at 90 minutes for possible future syndication purposes. Several of the movies have scenes removed.

I thought that was just to keep them consistent with the other 10 seasons.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

duz posted:

Honestly I think that's a terrible idea

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I think that's a terrible idea
I think it's a terrific idea from a business perspective. (Creatively there's no advantages beyond being able to trim out interminable poo poo from a really long stinkbasket.) It means MST3k isn't dependent on a streaming platform, which could be important in the future, and it's possible Joel will be able to make money by selling it as filler in cable networks in Indonesia or something in the future. It also means he has more leverage in any possible negotiations with Netflix.

It might all be unnecessary, but I can't blame Joel for taking pains to protect his puppet show after the last time.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I wasn't able to watch Turkey Day this year, does anyone have a link to a copy of the stream? Not the individual shows, I wanted to watch the whole thing as it happened.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Peachfart posted:

I wasn't able to watch Turkey Day this year, does anyone have a link to a copy of the stream? Not the individual shows, I wanted to watch the whole thing as it happened.

Shout Factory has been re-airing it on their twitch channel.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

boner confessor posted:

They should have taken more time and reshot those parts.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rocco posted:

They should have taken more time and reshot those parts.

They didn't have more time. The production window was something like a week.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Very Mickey and Judy, "I know, Let's put on a show!"

Considering, it came out much better than it probably should have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess I feel asleep the first time I watched Starcrash because I had no idea Seinfeld had a cameo and when he appeared I completely lost my poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t believe the monster rap is one take. I think they said they used an early take, too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

precision posted:

I guess I feel asleep the first time I watched Starcrash because I had no idea Seinfeld had a cameo and when he appeared I completely lost my poo poo

Starcrash was probably the biggest miss for me this season. It was so overbearing that it crowded out the riffing I think.

Outside of the song that is.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Starcrash is the kind of movie I'd want to just watch and riff on with people myself instead of letting puppet robots do it for me

i somehow also missed "the thinking man's Betty Page" joke in Loves of Hercules, lmao

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Super-hyped about the new season. I hope they have a wider variety of movies next seasons (including B&W films and shorts).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

precision posted:

For a brief moment I thought you meant he had a cameo in the film, which blew my mind, and then I remembered "Oh, yeah: host segment."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think without backer credits this time theyll be able to squeeze in a short for an episode or two, and or have longer host segments.

Basically Im excited as hell for more mst3k and I eagerly await the day my children tell me the best host was clearly xxWeedGokuxx, a pubg chat bot that gained sentience.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hogama posted:

The oddest thing about re-watching Ring of Terror is that the way the old guy at the beginning says "Puma? PUUMAA?" gets riffed on through the rest of season 2 and into season 3, and then it gets forgotten. Fast forward to season 9 and we get a new puma joke courtesy of Donald Pleasence. So in my mind I know the two riffs are unrelated, but whenever I hear them do the "Puma? PUUMAA?" joke in the old episodes I keep waiting for someone else to quip ":v: don't you mean Py-u-ma?"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Hey I'm watching the mst3k movie for the first time in a long while. Why does the woman (Ruth?) in Branson Manor act like she doesn't know Cal?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

To hide their alliance from the aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

moist turtleneck posted:

Hey I'm watching the mst3k movie for the first time in a long while. Why does the woman (Ruth?) in Branson Manor act like she doesn't know Cal?

Unfortunately the studio that financed MST3K: The Movie had a weird obsession at the time with getting comedies under 90 minutes so they ended up cutting a ton of scenes from This Island Earth. So any time you get confused just blame stupid studio executives.