Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Unfortunately, Organ Guns seem to still have trouble with firing arcs, and you definitely don't want them inflicting friendly fire into your lines. With Dwarf artillery looking like they received an accuracy bonus across the board, I'm surprised to find out that high-level Grudge Throwers are oddly good at conducting counter-battery fire. In fact, they can even cause the artillery dodging behavior in Hellcannons, of all things, if you concentrate fire from two batteries at one target. Considering that Grudge Throwers are no slouches at battering even heavy infantry mobs, and that Organ Guns are so much more deadly than Cannons against everything, I think the ideal Dwarf artillery formation is now 2 Organ Guns at the flanks/front and 2 Grudge Throwers at the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Kanos posted:

or when you're playing Tyrion and some elf faction talks about bearing the Phoenix Court's tidings.

the elves must have the For The Emperor problem the Japanese had where they don't care if the emperor's personally backing the other army, they're the ones truly supporting the guy

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

toasterwarrior posted:

Unfortunately, Organ Guns seem to still have trouble with firing arcs, and you definitely don't want them inflicting friendly fire into your lines.

you should be fighting all your battles in the underway anyway, there are few maps that don't have either a ridge and gentle slope in the middle or a pit you can shoot down into, both of which are fantastic organ gun (and irondrake) territory

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are some mods on the workshop to grab if instead of a big overhaul I want some minor but noticeable improvements to the campaign?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What are some mods on the workshop to grab if instead of a big overhaul I want some minor but noticeable improvements to the campaign?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1201847415

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1183397527&searchtext=wurrzag

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Disappointed Thorgrim doesn't have grudge skills against Skaven or Lizardmen.

I presume they'll be added in a later patch, but I hope the flavor text for the Lizardmen one is just "That fat oversized toad did WOT?!?"

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Disappointed Thorgrim doesn't have grudge skills against Skaven or Lizardmen.

I presume they'll be added in a later patch, but I hope the flavor text for the Lizardmen one is just "That fat oversized toad did WOT?!?"

The thing is, they don't know the Lizardmen did the thing, so they have no grudges against them. I mean, if they DID find out, then yeah, but as it stands, doesn't make sense for there to be a grudge skill against Lizardmen. Would be funny though, I agree.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Stephen9001 posted:

The thing is, they don't know the Lizardmen did the thing, so they have no grudges against them. I mean, if they DID find out, then yeah, but as it stands, doesn't make sense for there to be a grudge skill against Lizardmen. Would be funny though, I agree.

There definitely should be a grudge skill for the skaven, though. That just goes without saying.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

There definitely should be a grudge skill for the skaven, though. That just goes without saying.

Well yes, obviously.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I mean, this entire game is a single gigantic "what if" scenario for the WH world so there's really no reason not to give them a grudge skill like that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Dwarfs finding out about that continental drift stuff would make an amusing wrinkle to the Age of Peace super end-game if you're not playing as them; all of dwarfkind automatically declares an non-negotiable war on every lizardman faction and gets a shield of civilization style trait that makes them willing to forgive every other kind of past transgression in exchange for joining their crusade against the cold bloods.

Imagine playing as vampires and halfway through securing your southeast you get a message from thorgrim going
>peace treaty
>military access
>military alliance
>declare war on hexoatl, last defenders, itza etc
and the adjoining voice quote is just incoherent shouts of rage.

Of course, rejecting it makes them lump you in with the 'zards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've very nearly got a working version of my LL mod working I've just got to fix the minor bug of Eltharion looking and acting like an empire fire wizard...

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I tried about 30 turns in a Dwarf game just to see the difference in the economy and auto resolve, and you can't escape the beard tide even as the beard. The Greenskins and Bloody Handz focused their army attention mostly on me and the dwarves that start just east of Karak Eight Peaks, so the purple dwarves that start next to Karaz-a-Karak blew up and conquered most of the desert and half the provinces in the mountains, including Karak Eight Peaks, all of their own. I didn't intend on playing this game for very long which is probably a good thing, because basically I have to now go through them to get anywhere.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Dwarfs finding out about that continental drift stuff would make an amusing wrinkle to the Age of Peace super end-game if you're not playing as them; all of dwarfkind automatically declares an non-negotiable war on every lizardman faction and gets a shield of civilization style trait that makes them willing to forgive

img.grombrindal

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

img.grombrindal

If the Dwarfs ever learned about what the Lizards did, the grudge would be so large they'd willingly ally with the Orcs and Skaven to complete it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For those still looking for an even harsher climate restriction mod to try and get factions to not blob everywhere, I found this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1162669339.

Basically, apart from the usual tweaks to the AI so it'll generally refuse to occupy wrong climate regions and just burn them, it changes every faction's climate preferences by straight-up removing unsuitable climates and either making them suitable or uninhabitable. Uninhabitable climates are completely useless and toxic to factions that don't take to them: we're talking 0 income, 0 replenishment, etc. The kicker is that these regions also get a whopping -25 public order penalty, so in the event that the AI captures a wrong climate region, it's guaranteed to lose it eventually. This also means that you can apply the mod to a current savegame and wait some turns before AI blobs in the wrong climates fall apart.

It's definitely the farthest I've seen a mod go about trying to "revert" the climate system back to a WH1-style binary occupation system. Bear in mind that you'll also lose out on those provinces now; I suppose you can keep Grung Zint as Empire/Bretonnia for the marble resource and guaranteed rebel stack every turn for farming experience, but the Grey Mountains are pretty much best left to a friendly Dwarf faction/vassal.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Asehujiko posted:

and the adjoining voice quote is just incoherent shouts of rage.

I'm picturing an unending scream of nigh infernal dwarven rage that only cuts off when you close the diplomacy window. :allears:

Not, y'know, when you stop the conversation with the faction. You can hear it distantly, in the background.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rookersh posted:

If the Dwarfs ever learned about what the Lizards did, the grudge would be so large they'd willingly ally with the Orcs and Skaven to complete it.

What did the lizardmen do?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

Mazamundi decided that the continents were in the wrong place and so he forced them back with magic. Of course by doing so he hosed over the dwarfs so badly that he basically doomed them to eventual extinction.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kestral posted:

Shortly after the Dwarfs beat the High Elves' asses off the continent, Mazdamundi found an old one plaque that showed the continents in a different configuration than they had at that time. He pulled some magic mojo to force the continents back into the "intended" locations, which of course led to massive earthquakes, cave-ins, volcanic eruptions, etc which are all understandably terrible for a race that lives almost entirely underground. Enormous segments of the dwarf empire were annihilated and a substantial portion of their race died in the disaster, and then in the aftermath the various longtime enemies of the dwarfs like greenskins and skaven - who had previously been pretty much minor, insignificant nuisances to the ascendant dwarf empire - moved in on the stunned and devastated dwarfs and killed even more of them and took even more dwarfholds.

Basically if Mazdamundi hadn't done his trick the dwarfball from Mortal Empires would have been the state of things in the lore and races like the greenskins and the skaven would have never become as powerful.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Still playing TWW1, but are there any good guides?

I'm a bit at a loss of what to do and when - in most aspects - such as buildings to build (which, where, why), how many armies to deploy, how technologically advanced I should strive to be, in what ways to develop my lords and heroes, when to build them, etc etc.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how the beastmen sail around on giant narwhals.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Kalenden posted:

Still playing TWW1, but are there any good guides?

I'm a bit at a loss of what to do and when - in most aspects - such as buildings to build (which, where, why), how many armies to deploy, how technologically advanced I should strive to be, in what ways to develop my lords and heroes, when to build them, etc etc.

What faction are you playing as?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My LL mod now works except in really weird ways like he faces away from the camera in the diplomacy screen porthole, and his sword jumps from his hand to his back during his campaign screen animation cycle.

The mod I copied line for line (and stole the script from) doesn't have these issues so I just don't know...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm playing empire and it's just an exercise in utter frustration. Lothern for no reason declared war and is sailing three stacks at me frequently so I can't leave my territory to fight. I lost Marienburg and had to retake it after Skaeling wrecked it during my battles with VC, then Brets retook it (RIP Louen, you shouldn't have hosed with my money.) It's nearly fully operational again but what a monetary hit. They keep coming too, must be the big sack value.

The worst thing it it's impossible for me to unite the empire because the dwarves who are power one with ten stacks all crossing my territories (they're absolutely unassailable) like some kind of soft power implied threat have taken half the human settlement after I did all the heavy lifting fighting Varg and VC/Von Carstein. I can't get a province because dwarfs live in all the minor settlements but won't attack and fight anything with a half decent garrison. I couldn't confederate either because Ostland and Varg killed everyone while I was doing other stuff and now the dwarfs are taking three Ostland towns a turn with their insane roaming stacks.

Delete dwarfs from the game. I never fight them and they just make everything boring now. Satisfying people that didn't enjoy the fluffy city system was a mistake.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The VC absolutely wrecked the dwarves in my game, seems one or the other.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do High Elves have any real ranged AP damage outside of ballista? Or are they just out of luck and get to watch their swarms of archers just kind of fade into semi-uselessness once you start seeing armored units everywhere?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

maev posted:

The VC absolutely wrecked the dwarves in my game, seems one or the other.

4 ME games down.

I have never seen the Beard Tide.

I'm starting to wonder if it is some mod screwing with things.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You want the biggest walls you can get in marienburg because it is a magnet for everything pouring out of the north, in fact, just build walls everywhere, including your capitals.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

Do High Elves have any real ranged AP damage outside of ballista? Or are they just out of luck and get to watch their swarms of archers just kind of fade into semi-uselessness once you start seeing armored units everywhere?

Teclis' weapon enchantment spell.

Otherwise ap damage is the deliberate gap in the current High Elf roster. Not that a mass of archers won't melt all but the most heavily armoured units (with big shields).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You want the biggest walls you can get in marienburg because it is a magnet for everything pouring out of the north, in fact, just build walls everywhere, including your capitals.

It had max walls. Skaeling sent three stacks. Everything always sends three stacks at me :(

I kind of want to start again. Everything that could go wrong out of my control did. Is there a mod that makes the dwarfs less boring? I have to fight VC as empire and I think it takes the pressure off them. They'd actually lost their mountains near VC until I started cleaning house. Maybe I should have left them to have a war, but I guarantee the vamps were never going to do anything other then beeline stacks at me like every other idiot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress it, I'll see if I can sail on Lothern and teach those hyper agrressive dickheads a lesson in diplomacy.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I know it's years out, but have there been any recent rumblings as to what TWIII will look like? I recall that they want to expand the Chaos roster to include the full round of demons, but I'd be really disappointed if they didn't include the Darklands and by extension, Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres.

As to the plot conceit, the Vortex campaign seems fairly well received. More faithfully reenacting The End Times might work this go round; it'd let them introduce all sorts of over the top poo poo, and it wouldn't be that different mechanically from what they've done in games like Attila and Barbarian Invasion. Swap the Western Roman Empire for...literally every faction but Chaos and the Skaven.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
^ the vortex campaign is widely panned actually. Most people hate intervention armies and the dumb fake goalposts. You have to literally try to lose the final battle, it's stupid easy. The map has good parts but doesn't have the replayability or flow of TW1.

All that said CA wildly improved the core game and the new races are really great.

For beating multiple stacks, think in terms of force multipliers: magic, ranged, and artillery in that order. One overcast of pit of shades or wind of death can kill 500+ units at the cost of one unit slot. How many greatswords would you need to get that many kills?

Rome 2 was my favorite TW game but i just can't go back to it. Magic is so incredibly fun. Wish the AI weilded it a bit smarter/deadlier, although i also am glad they don't.

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ammanas posted:

^ the vortex campaign is widely panned actually. Most people hate intervention armies and the dumb fake goalposts. You have to literally try to lose the final battle, it's stupid easy. The map has good parts but doesn't have the replayability or flow of TW1.

Intervention armies just need the tweak of not spawning with full movement points and the game should commit to letting you lose if you lose the Vortex race. Also, making it so that raiding/sacking a vortex currency site gets you a lot of vortex currency.

e: vvvv Yeah that too. Basically there's a lot of good poo poo there, they just need a few tweaks to make it work really well.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 27, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

Intervention armies just need the tweak of not spawning with full movement points and the game should commit to letting you lose if you lose the Vortex race. Also, making it so that raiding/sacking a vortex currency site gets you a lot of vortex currency.

Also the Chaos armies should beeline to the objective, not stop and attack every settlement along the way.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ammanas posted:

^ the vortex campaign is widely panned actually.

This is blatantly untrue.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How the gently caress does the empire stop ten eagles and two dragons? They just land on my good things and magic is useless because of their speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Catbirds with halberds.