Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Anyone have any idea how to stat out Mike Tyson as a solo encounter? Or should I do it through the duel system or what?

Setting is Nintendo and I realized he ABSOLUTELY needs to be a boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Anyone have any idea how to stat out Mike Tyson as a solo encounter? Or should I do it through the duel system or what?

A three-stage monster who has characteristics of Street Fighter's Balrog, Street Fighter's M. Bison, and Mike Tyson in Punch-Out (automatic knockdown on all hits in the first three rounds)?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There used to be a monster that had an Encounter power which it could only use after landing two specific At-Will powers that was supposed to model boxing or a martial arts combo or something, that could work. Maybe make it so you have two At-will powers that start combos and two powers that you can only use after landing one of those, then one Encounter power you can use after that. If you want it to be particularly spicy make it so you can only use the follow-ups on the same target, that offers some interesting counterplay for the players.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

There used to be a monster that had an Encounter power which it could only use after landing two specific At-Will powers that was supposed to model boxing or a martial arts combo or something, that could work. Maybe make it so you have two At-will powers that start combos and two powers that you can only use after landing one of those, then one Encounter power you can use after that. If you want it to be particularly spicy make it so you can only use the follow-ups on the same target, that offers some interesting counterplay for the players.

I quite like this idea!

The set-ups, did they impose any kind of status or was it just the 1-2-3 combo?
Also, does it recharge as a learning opportunity? Or was it gone.

EDIT: As for multi stage, I'm definitely thinking he loses his internal battle with the SA-X or Dark Matter (depending on when he's encountered) and then becomes a weird monster-boxer.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 3, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is ongoing damage supposed to stack? One of my players has been using a lot of scorpion stance attacks.

So far I've been ruling that it does but all of a character's ongoing damage will go away with a single successful save.

Kabbak
Dec 19, 2016

Ignite Memories posted:

Is ongoing damage supposed to stack? One of my players has been using a lot of scorpion stance attacks.

So far I've been ruling that it does but all of a character's ongoing damage will go away with a single successful save.

As far as I understand, this is how it goes:
- You can't apply the Ongoing Damage from the Scorpion Stance punch several times. It doesn't stack from the same source.
- Ongoing Damage from Scorpion Stance punch and Ongoing Damage from an other power can coexist. You can apply both seperately (one instance each).
- Two different martial artists can Scorpion Punch the same enemy and both apply their own instance of Ongoing Damage. Different players don't interfere with each other.
- Upgraded Scorpion Stance can also apply Ongoing Damage on Opportunities. You can apply one instance of Ongoing Damage from the Opportunity and a seperate instance of Ongoing Damage form the Attack. Even though it's from the same Stance it's from a different text block so it's a seperate source.

I interpreted it that way from the Glossary entry to Ongoing Damage.
I'm a little bit unsure on the last point but it just made sense when looking at how stances upgrade. It doesn't fit if an ability suddenly gets unsynergistic when you power it up.

Funny thing: the way you ruled it is exactly how one of the abilities of the Rogue class works. But they explicitely get this as a form of "better" Ongoing Damage.
Hope this helps. Have fun in your game.

Kabbak fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 3, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I'm still a bit confused.

DEFENDER / BUDDIES / SUPER BUDDY

so the buddy is the source of the defender's Role Actions, but defense and stickiness boosts apply only to the primary character.

Mark is a role action that is granted as part of the "Stickiness Boost" rules. Does that mean it counts as a boost, and can only be used by the primary character, or can it only be used by the Buddy, because it is a Role action?

edit: after reading more, I am inclined to think that the mark granted by Stickiness Boost is unique to the primary character, because I see that one of the active effects for a buddy (focused) marks the enemy as its active effect, and that active effect wouldn't be as useful if you could mark them as a role action anyways. Am I right in thinking this? But she CAN also use Come And Get It to apply "marked by [buddy]" too.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 3, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Moriatti posted:

Pseudo-encounter Star Punch that he can only use after dealing a certain amount of damage? Has a huge push knockback and you rolls 1d6, if it's 1-5 it knocks 'em prone and 6 dazes for a turn.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

Hey, I'm raising money for SickKids hospital where Thalia has been getting treatment this year. If you've been on the fence about buying the game or a mini-expansion or a physical copy, this is the month to do it! You not only get the game but all the money goes to helping sick children.

More details here.

Even if you already have the complete Strike! collection, so to speak, please share this around and help out.

I’m already a SickKids monthly donor, but it is hard to say that one is ever giving too much to that great place. Plus, you know, Strike! is pretty great too.

Thanks for doing this, it’s really wonderful.

E: only expansions 1 and 4 seem to be on DTRPG?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 26, 2017

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
They're not numbered in their titles, but Trouble in Hogtown and the Rogue were the second and third expansions.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Perfect, thank you.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
I have a rules question. Is it possible to intentionally fail a saving throw or not make one at all?

I've chosen Defender/Archer as my build hit level 4, and with melee shooter and toughness as my feats, I've run into the situation where using the Alchemist's Fire Trick Arrow ability to intentionally set myself on fire would result in me taking 0 damage from the ongoing. So now I want to run around the battlefield while perpetually on fire.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

DJPON3Vinyl posted:

I have a rules question. Is it possible to intentionally fail a saving throw or not make one at all?

I've chosen Defender/Archer as my build hit level 4, and with melee shooter and toughness as my feats, I've run into the situation where using the Alchemist's Fire Trick Arrow ability to intentionally set myself on fire would result in me taking 0 damage from the ongoing. So now I want to run around the battlefield while perpetually on fire.

I think you can intentionally not bother to save against a negative effect. You just don't bother trying to put out the fire or whatever. That's not explicit in the rules anywhere, but I don't think it's a balance issue to play it that way. And running around on fire on purpose is just loving awesome anyway. Go for it. I don't think it'll be overpowered, but if you find that it does cause problems, please let me know.

akvo
Nov 29, 2016
Question regarding the playtest: is it intended for the Illusionist to pick 2 at-wills at level 1, or are they also subject to the three at-will rule?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

akvo posted:

Question regarding the playtest: is it intended for the Illusionist to pick 2 at-wills at level 1, or are they also subject to the three at-will rule?

3, I guess. I may end up changing how their at-wills are organized or something, or adding a new one I haven't looked at the illusionist for a long time because they were one of the playtest classes I'm most confident is good. Not to say that it doesn't need polish and improvment, but I'm quite sure I won't cut it and I won't need to do a massive overhaul on it.

narelith
Feb 26, 2017

Mew!
In that case, which classes would you say are most likely to be good, and which have known issues that playtesters should be aware of?

My players are going to switch to Shieldbearer (class) in one case and over to Lurker (role) in another. Both of those look quite solid to me. I've also been offering a few of the playtest class At-Wills to them.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

narelith posted:

In that case, which classes would you say are most likely to be good, and which have known issues that playtesters should be aware of?

My players are going to switch to Shieldbearer (class) in one case and over to Lurker (role) in another. Both of those look quite solid to me. I've also been offering a few of the playtest class At-Wills to them.

None have "known issues" in the sense of major problems. There are just some that I haven't heard enough feedback on, mainly. I'd like more feedback on the Channeler, Berserker, Squire, Engineer, Ogre, and Evoker.

The rest I've had enough feedback on or enough hands-on myself that I feel very good about them. My favourite of the new things are the Gambler and the Lurker. But I really love the idea of the Ogre and it seems like maybe people are a bit wary about it?

Honestly, I wouldn't have these classes up for playtest if I didn't think they could be good. Whatever you end up using, tell me how it goes. I don't need nitty-gritty stuff. If it feels like there is a balance issue, I want to know that, of course, but the more important question is How does it feel to use the class' mechanics?

If your player uses a Shieldbearer, I want to know - does that player feel like they are getting the opportunity to use their powers and class features well? If the answer is "They feel frustrated when the enemies do this and that," then that feeling is important. For an Engineer, I want to know how it feels to position and use their turret. If the answer is that it feels "fiddly" or "frustrating," that's a sign that we need to change something and it won't require you to go into paragraphs of analysis for you to tell me that. The shallowest "this class felt fun" vs "this class worked ok but felt bad" type of feedback is something I really need!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I bet I could get a person to run an ogre with me, but I'd have to find a game we could both get in, first. We would play Cho'Gal in heroes of the storm

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
A friend of mine asked me for clarification on the Bard: are Encounter melodies basically one and done (So you can only have one for one round per combat) or is it possible to maintain one indefinitely by not switching melodies next round? Our reading is the former.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Are there still plans for a book with more items and monsters in it? I've found that most of all i've been having trouble coming up with loot that interests my players without making them stronger in combat.

I also would love to see more variations on the generic enemies like Brawler, Grappler, Sniper, etc. I'm still pretty gun-shy about making my own monsters.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I've gotten a bit more time to work on my reskinned X-Com/Black Ops game concept, and I guess I'll ask you some questions because I've never actually played Strike! :

I feel like some of the skills contained in the Archer, Bombardier and Blaster classes should be available to all the player characters, because they in a modern/sci-fi game are keyed more to equipment. For instance, use a medpack, apply a healing effect, throw a smoke grenade, place a smoke wall, so on.

Would it be irresponsible for a first-time Strike! GM to just create some classes from scratch? I'm going to need stuff like MEC trooper, mentalist, CCW guy( could be a duelist I guess) and so on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

I feel like some of the skills contained in the Archer, Bombardier and Blaster classes should be available to all the player characters, because they in a modern/sci-fi game are keyed more to equipment. For instance, use a medpack, apply a healing effect, throw a smoke grenade, place a smoke wall, so on.

Just reskin the basic classes, then let each character take a loadout of 2 items that give an alternate At-Will as an Encounter power. Something like:

---Frag Grenade: Once per battle, make a Ranged attack with Range 5, Burst 1, Damage 2, Effect: Destroy any terrain providing Cover or Concealment inside the Zone.
---Smoke Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone for 1 round within Range 5. Any ranged attacks through the Zone suffer Disadvantage.
---Incendiary Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone for 1 round within Range 5. Any character entering or ending their movement within the Zone suffers 2 damage.
---EMP Grenade: Once per battle, create a Burst 1 zone withing Range 5. All enemies inside the Zone are Distracted (save ends). Robotic targets are also Dazed (save ends).
---Armor Vest: Once per battle, as a Reaction, halve the damage your character suffers from an Attack.
---Hazmat Vest: Once per battle, when you fail a Save, pass the Save instead.
---Tracer Rounds: Once per battle, gain Advantage to an Attack roll.
---AP Rounds: Once per battle, after hitting with an Attack, inflict Vulnerable 1 (save ends) on a target of that attack.
---Medikit: The character may use their Rally power on an adjacent ally.
---Battle Scanner: Once per battle, when you make an Assess action, automatically roll a 6 for number of questions.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 16, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, gear as a form of off-class powers seems to work alright, if you keep it weak-ish.

My game's decker wanted to deal area damage, so I let her buy a duffel bag full of surplus grenades. It's a 5 range burst 1 damage 2 attack with no effect. She can use it once per encounter, or use it a second time and discard the equipment. It has Flaw: Mislabeled, meaning on a twist the grenade she threw was Not A Frag Grenade.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 16, 2018

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
That's fine if that's what you want, but by RAW gear and the tactical minigame don't really intersect. Any combat-relevant gear should usually be a part of the class, role or feats.

If they want occasional explosions, they could easily take minor blaster as a feat.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

That's fine if that's what you want, but by RAW gear and the tactical minigame don't really intersect.

Nah, the rulebook discusses granting combat powers via gear (page 29, the "grant a combat benefit" entry of "the character's stuff" section). Ignite Memories's and fool_of_sounds's suggestions of encounter powers, particular with the unique downside on Ignite's grenade power, seem consistent with that.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 16, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ImpactVector posted:

That's fine if that's what you want, but by RAW gear and the tactical minigame don't really intersect.

You're completely wrong. There are explicit rules for creating items with tactical uses.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, the rulebook discusses granting combat powers via gear (page 29, the "grant a combat benefit" entry of "the character's stuff" section). Ignite Memories's and fool_of_sounds's suggestions of encounter powers, particular with the unique downside on Ignite's grenade power, seem consistent with that.
Huh, you're right. I think I always forget about it because we never dealt with gear too much after character creation, and that one requires a lot of checking with the GM (and also comes with a "be careful with this one" warning).

But in regards to the XCOM game, I suspect something like a MEC, mentalist, or whatever would be a particular expression of class/role/feats/powers. That's what a generic system like Strike is shooting for.

IMO, it might be helpful to prefab a few particular combinations for things that definitely exist in the fictional world, but don't be surprised that if you present the whole book someone is going to take things and run in a different direction. If on the other hand, you only present a particular set of combinations that could work too.

I hesitate to recommend going full homebrew on your first game, just because there are a lot of moving parts. And a few of the pieces you picked out come from different character build slots (archer and bombradier vs blaster).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, much of the benefit of playing Strike is to get the pre-designed class/role/feat system. If you look at Strike's options and feel like you can't ask your players to fundamentally conform to that, and instead want them to be able to pick and choose from an open list of powers and such, then Strike is probably just a poor fit for your game.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think (not sure!) I bought this forever ago, what was the subject line I should search for to find it in my email?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 17, 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

I think (not sure!) I bought this forever ago, what was the subject line I should search for to find it in my email?

Had this problem, but it turned up in my drivethrurpg account - maybe yours did too?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, much of the benefit of playing Strike is to get the pre-designed class/role/feat system. If you look at Strike's options and feel like you can't ask your players to fundamentally conform to that, and instead want them to be able to pick and choose from an open list of powers and such, then Strike is probably just a poor fit for your game.

Straight dope, thanks! I'll probably re-read the rules a couple times and/or try playing it as written, then see if I can fit into my concept into the RAW.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

If I sent you the PDF directly, I would very likely have used the subject line "Strike!". But most often I send out discount codes for Drivethrurpg so that people will automatically be able to get updated versions there if and when I make changes. So definitely check your Drivethrurpg account and search your inbox for URLs linking to Drivethrurpg.

Tias posted:

So I've gotten a bit more time to work on my reskinned X-Com/Black Ops game concept, and I guess I'll ask you some questions because I've never actually played Strike! :

Would it be irresponsible for a first-time Strike! GM to just create some classes from scratch? I'm going to need stuff like MEC trooper, mentalist, CCW guy( could be a duelist I guess) and so on.
Oh man, I've got a doc of notes for a product that is exactly what you want, but it's not at the stage where I have the powers written yet. I have a list of classes, and a list of loadouts (instead of roles, characters will have a loadout that depends on the kit they are carrying/trained with - so medic, grenadier, etc. would be loadouts and the classes would be mainly about primary weapon usage -sniper vs assault - or about stuff like psionics.). The classes and loadouts have lists of ideas for powers, and I have a huge list of ideas for feats and items. But none are actually written out as proper powers yet, so it's not usable as even a super early playtest. I don't know when I'll get to writing out those powers - it depends on how much time I'm devoting to that product over the existing expansion stuff and over the PvP scenario I've got nearly ready for playtest.

In the meantime, rely on reskinning. You can absolutely have multiple characters play Archers - as long as they pick different class features and/or different Roles, they will feel very different while still having the abilities you want them to have.

Some XCOM reskinning ideas:

Archers and bombardiers barely need reskinning.

Necromancer as a psychic (or as a hacker if the aliens are robotic/cyborg)

Warlord as an officer - the sarge or Lt.

A MEC could fit into a few classes depending on how you reskin. It could work as a shapechanger with the right form or a martial artist for smashing stuff in melee.

A magician for a character with experimental heavy weapons, or possibly a MEC with experimental weapon mounts. Blood Mage could be the MEC going into overdrive.

A drone pilot could be Buddies or Summoner depending on the number and type of drones they pilot.

Rogue can work easily as a stealthy spy/scout/infiltrator.

In my game we had a big tanky alien defector playing a melee class and a combat engineer with their reprogrammed(?) alien robot dog as the Buddies.

From the expansion playtest classes, the shieldbearer is straight from an xcom2 enemy in its inspiration, and the engineer would fit in fine in an XCOM setting without needing reskinning at all.

I'll also have some items up for playtest soonish.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm also a fan of the Magician being a MacGuyver/Michael Weston type who makes due with what he has on hand, hence the rotating powers.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm very pumped about the concept of that expansion jimbozig. Reskinning works fine but it's real squeeze to get some of the powers to make sense in a modern or fairly straight future setting

Tias
May 25, 2008

That's my experience as well, but I don't think my group cares if it's completely true to X-Com, I just think they'd love a soft sci-fi/modern black-ops style game in this setting.

That said, Jimbozig, I would love the gently caress out of a complete X-Com overhaul, and I'd be happy to test or help with your stuff.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I've been playing the Ogre with someone in my current game (separate bodies class feature since it's our first time in the system and we didn't want to deal with the Puzzle) and I've been having tons of fun. As Ogre Mage/Blaster (Spellwarp Sniper) I basically teleport every enemy directly into my big ol' damage fields, and as Ogre Warrior/Defender (Juggernaut) my partner just sort of charges around and knocks everyone down. It's a high school paranormal game a la Buffy and we're playing a pair of twin horrible jock bullies, one of whom got superstrength and the other got psychic powers. It's a blast.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Someone should run a game of this and invite me to play in it

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Ignite Memories posted:

Someone should run a game of this and invite me to play in it

:same:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Anyone have a link to the playtest stuff? All the dropbox links I found were expired.

Also were there any monsters in the PT? Everyone's mostly settled on classes from the core, but I could always use more monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

There's a second link a page back and I mirrored it recently. With Jim's permission I'll link it here.