Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Every time someone asks me that question, I just ask them if they think the PRC will even exist in its current form in 30 years. Just look at what China was 30 years ago, and then 30 years before that. It's a really long time to make any predictions. Assuming no upheavals and China stays on its current course until the renewal date for 1 country 2 systems, Xi Jinping will be 94. That's older than Robert Mugabe, who is currently being overthrown by his military for being a crazy old dictator. Maybe Xi will have put his daughter in charge by then. Maybe his daughter, inspired by her Harvard education in America, will push for a peaceful transition to democracy the same way Chiang Ching-kuo did in Taiwan. Maybe she will be an even more insane brutal dictator the way Kim Jong-il was in North Korea.

Basically trying to make any predictions on what anything in the world will be like in 30 years is a fool's errand. Maybe we'll all be dead from global warming tsunamis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teikanmi posted:

So after the 50 years of freedom of speech and protest rights that Beijing promised, what are the chances that CHINA just “annexes” Hong Kong and completely integrates them into the PRC? 90%?

sound like you're really underestimating how loudly people in Hong Kong can sing Les Miserables songs in the streets, bro

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I overestimated the power of show tunes in driving political change last time. Won't make that mistake again

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

I overestimated the power of show tunes in driving political change last time. Won't make that mistake again

yeah, i too got super amped on thomas & friends, the 2016 film

e: actually in retrospect that seems a pretty fishmech thing to say (no offense fishmech)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well I'm just scratching my head watching this video, like what is this, is this real, do white people who live in China act like this? "My Subjective Experience In This One Small Part of a Foreign Country That I'm going to Generalize to the Whole Thing".txt

Also lol at the "Oh and China isn't PC so you can say whatever you want." segment.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well I'm just scratching my head watching this video, like what is this, is this real, do white people who live in China act like this? "My Subjective Experience In This One Small Part of a Foreign Country That I'm going to Generalize to the Whole Thing".txt

Also lol at the "Oh and China isn't PC so you can say whatever you want." segment.

"Hey Laowinners! Donate and support this channel through Bitcoin : 1L7LJrpNQZMvog4esPn2oEiK1uBN81DVAS"

laowinners :gonk:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

this guy gets 1500 bucks a month for making GBS threads out videos like this. no why.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jeoh posted:

this guy gets 1500 bucks a month for making GBS threads out videos like this. no why.

Don't worry I have ad blocker.

Also it just appeared on my recs, I have no idea why. I rarely watch videos about China and my Sinoboo phase was like 12 years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't worry I have ad blocker.

Also it just appeared on my recs, I have no idea why. I rarely watch videos about China and my Sinoboo phase was like 12 years ago.

They're not talking about ads, but rather this https://www.patreon.com/laowhy86

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

fishmech posted:

They're not talking about ads, but rather this https://www.patreon.com/laowhy86

That actually somewhat offends me when I see so many starving artists barely get donations who are so much more creative.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

what did he say that you disagree with

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like so far he's said

"drinking age isn't enforced" it isn't
"you can say Japanese are dogs or you can say people are fat" people do that all the time
"you can go up to any roof and drink" this is a pastime in Tianjin
"the markets are crazy and cheap" they are

I'm still watching but there's nothing really that egregious that he's said so far? what's wrong with any of this

edit:

"you can get authentic Chinese food in china" ya, that's not surprising in the slightest

that's it. that was the video.

what was the problem with it. I don't get it. I don't think it's this amazing video that's super interesting but I certainly don't see any problem with it. whats the issue

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 26, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Great Autismo! posted:

like so far he's said

"you can say Japanese are dogs or you can say people are fat" people do that all the time
"you can go up to any roof and drink" this is a pastime in Tianjin

I'm still watching but there's nothing really that egregious that he's said so far? what's wrong with any of this

He says "In China" and doesn't specify which part of China or give any kind of disclaimer that it is only likely to be the areas of China he's personally witnessed it, I don't know about "egregious" I didn't say that, but I think implying that these behaviors are universally allowed just anywhere in China no qualifiers is probably a good way to get some tourist watching his videos arrested; so I think the video is vapid, droll, and potentially spreading misinformation as part of click bait garbage package.

quote:

I think it's more the way he conveys it as "If you tired of being ostracized for being an ignorant rear end in a top hat you can come to China and be a ignorant rear end in a top hat here" and no I don't believe he's "just kidding".

Also the way he kinda makes it sound like the US doesn't have ignorant bigoted assholes willing to be openly bigoted assholes, has he been anywhere outside of a Starbucks I dunno.

Now I've never been to China myself but the expats I've spoken to attending my University all seemed nice enough, though except for this one girl I knew and was my roommate did refer to her actual Japanese friend as a "Jap" without at all knowing its a slur so I can't really comment as to the accuracy of your or his statement but I feel like there's something missing to the context as to what may or may not affect it's accuracy; like which areas he frequented where this was common versus maybe some other area or university campus where it may not.

quote:

Cheaper relative to what, what is he spending? Is the basket of goods you buy at a cheaper supermarket with a days salary cheaper than the equivalent basket of goods in the US with a days salary? Is this actually accounting for exchange rates and standards of living?

quote:

By his logic it also isn't enforced in the US/Canada. The hoops are just different.

e: I did see it through to the end, sure it was interesting enough for me to see it through but the more I think on it the more I have questions and concerns.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Now I've never been to China myself

please put this in the original post next time, tia

like pretty much everything he said has been more or less consistent across Harbin, Tianjin, Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Qingdao, Shenyang, Fushun, Guilin, Chengdu for me.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I will say that my old coworker loved doing stair runs and going to the tops of buildings in Tianjin, got all the way to the top of the biggest buildings in Tianjin with super dope selfies, he tried to do it in Shanghai and got detained on the 87th floor, and just tingbudong'd for a while and then they just let him walk away

the most shocking part of the story for everyone when he told it was that a security guard actually stopped him at some point.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

please put this in the original post next time, tia

That information isn't relevant to the content of my post, sorry and has no bearing on my argument.

quote:

like pretty much everything he said has been more or less consistent across Harbin, Tianjin, Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, Qingdao, Shenyang, Fushun, Guilin, Chengdu for me.

So, maybe I wasn't clear; I'm not claiming that what he said wasn't true for his experience, it's that he uses these as contrast to the US.

It isn't that he's saying something about China that is necessarily untrue for the context he witnessed them in, it's the claims of "X happens in China, not the US" that perturbs my goat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is he saying the drinking age isn’t enforced for Chinese or for foreigners? Because yeah sure foreigners don’t get carded in lots of places, not just China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

Is he saying the drinking age isn’t enforced for Chinese or for foreigners? Because yeah sure foreigners don’t get carded in lots of places, not just China.

no, he's saying that there really isn't a drinking age in china. full stop. like if you're 14 you can just go into 7-11 and buy alcohol if you want.

source: I've seen kids in middle school uniforms buying alcohol and drinking on the subway and drinking at restaurants, etc etc etc

Raenir Salazar posted:

It isn't that he's saying something about China that is necessarily untrue for the context he witnessed them in, it's the claims of "X happens in China, not the US" that perturbs my goat.

but a lot of those things GENERALLY SPEAKING do happen in china and don't happen in the usa. if you have visited or lived in china, you would realize that. he isn't just making stuff up.

the countries are different. that's not a bad thing. he just made a video about some of the differences.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
there must be something I'm missing here because I really can't see what was wrong about the video, and especially what about the video made someone post it and say "is this real, do white people in china act like this?" and "My Subjective Experience In This One Small Part of a Foreign Country That I'm going to Generalize to the Whole Thing".txt

there's definitely some cringe and bad videos out there about china, I fail to see anything even remotely bad about this one at all though

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

there is nothing wrong with the video but i do not like the fact he gets paid to make them

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Maybe I'm not expressing myself well; I understand you have your own experiences and maybe they line up with his in that video, but it could also be confirmation bias. As an example you have a lot of posts/videos/blogs about Japan Sure Is Wacky but they all get super derided in /r/Japan and a few other blogs, and this feels like one of those.

You listed a lot of cities sure, have you, or he, been outside of more than a few city blocks? Or really visited the places between those cities? Is there really not existing a particular place where the claim in the video holds true? You don't feel that there isn't any danger and such a video claiming all of that is true for basically all of China? I lived in Montreal and my hometown for basically all of my life and the only other major city I've been to is Ottawa; and I basically wouldn't make any claims about Canada, Canadians in general, etc and I live and was born here, except as like a joke or to deliberately advance the funnier stereotypes.

Like I lived in Montreal for at least the last nine year, but last year I started a new job where I biked to work in a daily 64 km round trip and was flabbergasted at seeing parts of Montreal I've never seen before that upon research are actually world famous landmarks like our brutalist condo building thing.

So that'd be one thing that bugs me.

quote:

but a lot of those things GENERALLY SPEAKING do happen in china and don't happen in the usa.

"You can be as unPC as you want here [that you can't in the US]" I mean, really?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just watched the drinking segment, it's actually pretty informative.

A lot of things in China are enforced by community. Which is why China is not a law abiding society at heart. For example, a grade school kid can go to deli and buy a bottle of beer (presumably for his father); however if a kid drinks in public an adult stranger can walk up and scoff him. This happens less and less in big cities but still it's there. Also, giving up your seat to an elderly senior on the bus is absolutely a thing in China. I still see discussion of it on Chinese forums all the time. In New York you don't see people spit casually or let go of the lobby door without waiting for the next guy, but nobody gives seat on bus.

It cost money to make youtube videos. I pay a dude 5 bux a month to see him use model plane parts to make an actual plane to fly himself.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 26, 2017

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Raenir Salazar posted:

"You can be as unPC as you want here [that you can't in the US]" I mean, really?

This is inevitably going to be a difficult point because it depends on people’s exact definitions of “PC”, “here”, and “the US”.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe I'm not expressing myself well; I understand you have your own experiences and maybe they line up with his in that video, but it could also be confirmation bias. As an example you have a lot of posts/videos/blogs about Japan Sure Is Wacky but they all get super derided in /r/Japan and a few other blogs, and this feels like one of those.

You listed a lot of cities sure, have you, or he, been outside of more than a few city blocks? Or really visited the places between those cities? Is there really not existing a particular place where the claim in the video holds true? You don't feel that there isn't any danger and such a video claiming all of that is true for basically all of China? I lived in Montreal and my hometown for basically all of my life and the only other major city I've been to is Ottawa; and I basically wouldn't make any claims about Canada, Canadians in general, etc and I live and was born here, except as like a joke or to deliberately advance the funnier stereotypes.

Like I lived in Montreal for at least the last nine year, but last year I started a new job where I biked to work in a daily 64 km round trip and was flabbergasted at seeing parts of Montreal I've never seen before that upon research are actually world famous landmarks like our brutalist condo building thing.

So that'd be one thing that bugs me.

but I think what he's saying is similar to when my wife's friend visited usa for the first time from Japan, and she was like floored at all of the variety in the aisles at the supermarket. and if she was making a video, she'd be like "wow, look at all of the different brands of spices in this aisle! in usa, there are so many different types and brands of food!!" it's like, yeah, not in every store, ever, all over usa, but by and large, the variety you can get in usa blows away the variety you can get in Japan. so that's something that would be a noteworthy comparison if you were going to make a video of the two. that's kind of what he's doing here. he's showing things like the markets that randomly pop up on street corners that people shop at. that doesn't really happen most places in the United States, at least not in any of the places that I've lived in usa, and not in the same way that it happens in china. those markets are amazing, btw. I love them.

if you ever are lucky enough to visit china, I think you'll realize there ARE stark differences between canada/usa and china. again, that's not a bad thing. and of course Shenzhen is different from rural Guangxi which is different from Liaoning, but there are some aspects of china that more or less hold true across the country. I lived all over Tianjin for seven years and now live in rural Liaoning, and hte norms, stores, cultures and way of life isn't really all that different. red lights are optional out here. in Tianjin they were...er, encouraged, I guess you'd say. but besides that, the actions, the people, the ways of life really isn't different. at all.

as for the PC stuff, maybe he didn't express himself well in that video, but I was told time and again at work meetings "don't hire black people", when an admission officer came from Cornell to visit our office the head of the entire company said "she's a big African" when she was introduced to us, I've sat across from people who have said things like "I think all Japanese dogs should be killed", etc etc etc. sure there are things like this in usa as well, of course there are, but there isn't a stigma associated with these comments here. "don't go too close to people from Xinjiang, they are thieves and dirty", my gym partner tells me, and I ask someone at work about it the next day and they are like "yeah, she's right."

with some of these things, you view it on a continuum. and you say "wow, I guess I sometimes see that in rural South Carolina in the usa, but it seems I see it all the time in china". like if I said "spitting is much more prevalent in china than it is in the United States", you could say "well, have you been to every village in china to know that spitting REALLY is more prevalent? or are you just taking your experiences and assuming ALL of china is like that, and have you been to EVERY place in the United States to REALLY know how much spitting there is there?" of course no one will ever be able to compare every single aspect of the United States to every single aspect of china, because you can break down these things down in an infinite number of ways, but speaking in generalities for a silly youtube video doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
what's wrong with getting shitfaced on the roof

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not enough safety railings. :rimshot:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

when forums user simplefish came to Tianjin, that's what we did, a bunch of people bought beers and then we went up to the roof, like the 54th floor, and just drank there and looked out over the city for a while.

some security guards came up and were like "hey, don't throw any beer bottles off the roof and don't jump off the roof" and we were all like "k" and then they just left us to keep drinking on the roof, lol

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My financial prospects *fingers crossed* might improve sometime this year and maybe I can go. I think I've heard good things about Shenzhen, I could be mistaking the city, but the Russian expat who worked there(?) I knew from Stardestroyer.net said he felt safer there at night than in Moscow during the day.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Shenzhen is crazy modern, I've never been but it's supposed to be a great city. hit HK and Macau if you're down there. there's a ton of good HK/Shenzhen goons that I'm sure could offer some suggestions on what to do as well

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
advchina is mostly correct about stuff

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the youtube channel where two guys brap around in China on motorcycles and talk about how poo poo everything is?

^ Answer before question. It was advchina I was thinking of.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 26, 2017

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is that the one with the South African who's constantly marrying and divorcing women he meets in bars?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TsarZiedonis posted:

Is that the one with the South African who's constantly marrying and divorcing women he meets in bars?

That's kind of the long term China expat community in a nutshell.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, both of them seem to be pretty typical expats, nevertheless it doesn't mean aren't necessarily correct (at least on certain topics). They are popular because they give a view of China that is pretty rare in the English speaking world even if both of them clearly have flaws (South African guy is clearly a bit of a drinker, only wears a suit outside, and his political views are very hazy...basically he is an archetypical white South African).

I am more impressed when they have some visual evidence of what they are complaining about (it happens though).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shenzhen is crazy modern, I've never been but it's supposed to be a great city. hit HK and Macau if you're down there. there's a ton of good HK/Shenzhen goons that I'm sure could offer some suggestions on what to do as well
Shenzen was not modern just twenty years ago, if Guy Delise's account was anything to gather from.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
...only wears a suit outside?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

...only wears a suit outside?

Beyond when he is on a motorcycle, yeah pretty much. It is a bit...odd, especially in southern China.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Ardennes posted:

Beyond when he is on a motorcycle, yeah pretty much. It is a bit...odd, especially in southern China.

No I mean I don’t know if you mean: “Being outside is the only time that he wears a suit” OR “He never wears anything but a poo poo when he’s outside”, as in, are you saying he wears a suit too often or not enough? Could be either as far as I know.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Shenzen was not modern just twenty years ago, if Guy Delise's account was anything to gather from.

shenzhen

guy delisle

also, like, it’s kind of funny because shenzhen is cool and all but also you do know that it’s only like....forty years old

like, you do know that right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I think we're missing the point here. How many pieces does the suit have?