Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

berenzen posted:

If you're talking about the quote Where she says that she's betraying her best friend, she's talking about letting Nauk die

I'm talking about Warlock threatening her after the encounter with the Lone Swordsman and his crew, because he heard she talked to Malicia and wants her to understand how badly he will destroy her if she hurts Black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Neurosis posted:

the conversation happening at all seemed pretty dubious - i don't think many people would be bursting at the seams to tell that one, especially to a stranger - and the way it came out felt very unnatural. i think there are other ways to tell us the salient information about what fume did and her attitude - maybe the prt had files victoria had access to, or the prt did a debrief with some former villains at the time of the clemency victoria has through her prt connections, something like that - and then we could have seen a more natural conversation between fume and victoria to move their relationship forward.

those kinds of ways to drop exposition are perhaps a bit inelegant, but sometimes they're better than breaking up what's happening in the writing itself.

I was pretty sure this was an early hint of her using her aura power non-explicitly. Yes, it should feel unnatural that she is talking straight up about herself in such a frank way, and that is literally because of powers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

irc posted:

14:18 <Wildbow> $roll 1d28
14:18 <+[ATM]> Wildbow [6] = 6
14:19 <Wildbow> $roll 1d49
14:19 <+[ATM]> Wildbow [46] = 46
14:23 <Druza> *Distant panick*
14:29 <OptimusRhyme> lol
16:04 <~Fossil> Hmmm?
16:07 <Wildbow> Oh, I should've done that in another channel, my bad

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wildbow came up with a tabletop system for the worm setting and does beta games for it with irc people. I think worm might be his favorite setting to play around with because he's answered like a tomes worth of fan questions about various facets of the world.

He also did a forum cyoa about being a prt director which I never read.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Stairmaster posted:

Wildbow came up with a tabletop system for the worm setting and does beta games for it with irc people. I think worm might be his favorite setting to play around with because he's answered like a tomes worth of fan questions about various facets of the world.

He also did a forum cyoa about being a prt director which I never read.

Weaver dice is a fun concept, but he clearly is a writer not a game designer. That said, I've played it a few times and had a blast, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Jade Mage posted:

Weaver dice is a fun concept, but he clearly is a writer not a game designer. That said, I've played it a few times and had a blast, so maybe I'm not giving him enough credit

The amount of fun you can have with a bad game and good players is very high, much higher than what you can get with a good game and bad players. It's not a very good game, but as long as everybody's into it and nobody's being That Guy, you can still have a ton of fun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yes vicky... kill them all....

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Can someone summarize what happens in the Ward arc zero 10 chapters of chatlogs? Every time I try to read them my eyes just glaze over...

I mean seriously? 10 chapters of farce message boards and chatlogs? I just can't...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

Can someone summarize what happens in the Ward arc zero 10 chapters of chatlogs? Every time I try to read them my eyes just glaze over...

I mean seriously? 10 chapters of farce message boards and chatlogs? I just can't...

I take it you're not a Homestuck fan...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sunken fleet posted:

I know exactly what you mean, that kind of poo poo borders on unreadable for me.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It was fine and there's not a ton of overt plot stuff, just an interesting little note about the previous series and then some stuff that might be tying in to what's happening now, maybe

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

It's not essential to read those. If you want a synopsis, ust read Wildbow's: https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7ckqaj/request_for_a_synopsis_of_glowworm/

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's not essential to read those. If you want a synopsis, ust read Wildbow's: https://www.reddit.com/r/Parahumans/comments/7ckqaj/request_for_a_synopsis_of_glowworm/

Didn't know this was a thing, thanks for posting it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm talking about Warlock threatening her after the encounter with the Lone Swordsman and his crew, because he heard she talked to Malicia and wants her to understand how badly he will destroy her if she hurts Black

This is because it would be common for Squire to kill Black Knight at some point in their story, the alternative would be an outside force doing it. Meeting Malicia makes Squire killing Black Knight in order to become Black Knight more likely, because presumably that's following the story for that more closely than the other.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

I've been following something sorta like this that was written using a Xianxia setting ("Forge of Destiny" it's called), and apparently stories where readers select actions and the writer rolls dice behind the scenes to determine the results of those actions/combat are A Thing and called "quests." It works remarkably better than I'd expect, though I think that relies pretty heavily on the writer being good. I think a key thing to making the idea work is for the writer to have a clear idea of all the characters involved, their motivations, and the major events that will occur during the course of the story. That allows them to realisticly figure out what would happen if the protagonist chooses to do various things. The randomness caused by the dice rolling actually makes for some pretty interesting fights and events.

I recommend the story I mentioned, because the writer is very good at giving every single character their own unique motivations that don't revolve around the protagonist. Most of the characters have their own goals that they pursue independently of the protagonist's actions, and it's honestly pretty remarkable that the writer can keep track of everything. The writer is also really good at coming up with unique and interesting combat abilities; every single art that the various characters use has a very distinct feel to it. Due to the frequency of updates random grammar/syntax errors aren't uncommon, but the strengths greatly outweigh the weaknesses IMO.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I've been following something sorta like this that was written using a Xianxia setting ("Forge of Destiny" it's called), and apparently stories where readers select actions and the writer rolls dice behind the scenes to determine the results of those actions/combat are A Thing and called "quests." It works remarkably better than I'd expect, though I think that relies pretty heavily on the writer being good. I think a key thing to making the idea work is for the writer to have a clear idea of all the characters involved, their motivations, and the major events that will occur during the course of the story. That allows them to realisticly figure out what would happen if the protagonist chooses to do various things. The randomness caused by the dice rolling actually makes for some pretty interesting fights and events.

I recommend the story I mentioned, because the writer is very good at giving every single character their own unique motivations that don't revolve around the protagonist. Most of the characters have their own goals that they pursue independently of the protagonist's actions, and it's honestly pretty remarkable that the writer can keep track of everything. The writer is also really good at coming up with unique and interesting combat abilities; every single art that the various characters use has a very distinct feel to it. Due to the frequency of updates random grammar/syntax errors aren't uncommon, but the strengths greatly outweigh the weaknesses IMO.

The quest stuff on SV is pretty similar to the CYOA's we have on this forum from what little I've seen from both.

FoD is kinda weird cause I do like it and I suspect the game system actually plays a part in making sure that the other characters always have their own stuff going on but it's also resulted in there only ever being very few plans to vote on cause you need to maths an entire week of optimal pill and action combos if you want to make your own vote.

e: FoD is actually pretty unique in how many characters were introduced immediately at the start and how almost all characters keep returning, most cyoa's have a bunch less I feel? It definitely does a good job of creating a believably alive world imo.

Absum fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Absum posted:

The quest stuff on SV is pretty similar to the CYOA's we have on this forum from what little I've seen from both.

FoD is kinda weird cause I do like it and I suspect the game system actually plays a part in making sure that the other characters always have their own stuff going on but it's also resulted in there only ever being very few plans to vote on cause you need to maths an entire week of optimal pill and action combos if you want to make your own vote.

e: FoD is actually pretty unique in how many characters were introduced immediately at the start and how almost all characters keep returning, most cyoa's have a bunch less I feel? It definitely does a good job of creating a believably alive world imo.

I think it helps that I have no interest in participating in the choice-making and am content to just read the updates in bulk every few weeks or so. The only downside is that I occasionally find myself frustrated with the choices people make about who to spend time with (it's a crime that Ling Qi has never spent time with Han Fang or Gan Guangli), but otherwise I don't really care much about the choices people make with arts, weapons, etc (though I did find myself amused at how they randomly trained Polearms for a while). Honestly, all the pill stuff seems really tedious and I'm happy to completely ignore it.

And yeah, I think its biggest strength is how "alive" the world feels. You don't get the feeling that events are revolving around the protagonist and happening solely for the sake of her adventure/journey (heck, there are several characters who are unarguably more influential and important than Ling Qi is likely to be for a long time). Ling Qi's power is also kept in check; while she's definitely talented and lucky, some other character stay consistently ahead of her and even characters below her are fully capable of being a threat to her (and there's even one more character in Ji Rong who is at least as talented as Ling Qi is).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 29, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I think it helps that I have no interest in participating in the choice-making and am content to just read the updates in bulk every few weeks or so. The only downside is that I occasionally find myself frustrated with the choices people make about who to spend time with (it's a crime that Ling Qi has never spent time with Han Fang or Gan Guangli), but otherwise I don't really care much about the choices people make with arts, weapons, etc (though I did find myself amused at how they randomly trained Polearms for a while). Honestly, all the pill stuff seems really tedious and I'm happy to completely ignore it.

And yeah, I think its biggest strength is how "alive" the world feels. You don't get the feeling that events are revolving around the protagonist and happening solely for the sake of her adventure/journey (heck, there are several characters who are unarguably more influential and important than Ling Qi is likely to be for a long time). Ling Qi's power is also kept in check; while she's definitely talented and lucky, some other character stay consistently ahead of her and even characters below her are fully capable of being a threat to her (and there's even one more character in Ji Rong who is at least as talented as Ling Qi is).

I'm only up to page 6 or 7 in Reader mode, but I'm enjoying it too.

I don't particular care about Han Fang, and I find Gan Guangli actively annoying, but I am a bit baffled by how much time they insist on spending with Gu Xiulan. The character I'm most interested in is Cai Renxiang, who seems to actually be trying to make the world a better place. I guess it would be a bit out of character for Ling Qi to hang out more with an authority figure like Cai, though it does seem that aspects of Ling Qi's characterization (e.g., her attitude toward gender roles) have been retconned a bit to make her the kind of person who would hang out with Gu so much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I'm only up to page 6 or 7 in Reader mode, but I'm enjoying it too.

I don't particular care about Han Fang, and I find Gan Guangli actively annoying, but I am a bit baffled by how much time they insist on spending with Gu Xiulan. The character I'm most interested in is Cai Renxiang, who seems to actually be trying to make the world a better place. I guess it would be a bit out of character for Ling Qi to hang out more with an authority figure like Cai, though it does seem that aspects of Ling Qi's characterization (e.g., her attitude toward gender roles) have been retconned a bit to make her the kind of person who would hang out with Gu so much.

I want them to hang out with Gan Guangli because he's the only other character we know of (aside from Su Ling*, sorta) who has a commoner background. I also trust there to be some sort of interesting background for both those characters given how things have gone with other characters, but I don't think we've even hung out with them once (we know literally nothing about Han Fang, other than the fact that I think his throat may have been injured by Xiulan or something?). Gan Guangli and Han Fang are also both swole dudes and we know Ling Qi likes her swole dudes. I like Cai as a character, but I feel like there's not a whole lot more to her than we've already seen; we know she values order and being a noble leader, and seems to spend all her time working towards the goal of becoming one. Gu Xiulan has become more interesting recently, what with her frustration over Ling Qi's progress and willingness to sacrifice her beauty - which we know she values pretty highly - in order to gain more power (one thing I really like is how understandably frustrated some of the other noble characters get with Ling Qi's progress; Han Jian is another example).

(I assume it's okay to post about this since it's technically a web serial also)

* Speaking of Su Ling, it's interesting how she's turned out to be probably the most decent and grounded character in the entire cast, Ling Qi included. She's the only cultivator character we've seen give a poo poo about mortals (not counting Ling Qi caring about her mother, since she's family)

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

holyshit victoria isn't well

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Yep. Seemed like a pretty accurate traumatized reaction to me.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Yeah. I'm glad it seems like amy is doing okay though. Though probably not that okay considering she still has to live with the fact that she turned her beloved sister into a giant flesh blob, traumatising her horrifically.

I wonder what thanksgiving is going to be like for them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Her mother is uh... not that great.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
The most horrifying part is attempting to "heal" the trauma is very much in Amy's powerset, so even the concept of attempting to repair the relationship would be near irreparably tainted for Victoria.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

That was pretty brutal. gently caress you Carol.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I was under the impression it wasn't entirely Amy's fault though.

That so much exposure to Glory Girl's aura had warped her mind, and made her fanatical.

But It's a while since I read that part.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

SerCypher posted:

I was under the impression it wasn't entirely Amy's fault though.

That so much exposure to Glory Girl's aura had warped her mind, and made her fanatical.

But It's a while since I read that part.

Yeah that plus the toxic home environment, having only her sister for a support structure, and her mental state being pushed to breaking point by the S9 is the reason things turned out the way they did as far as I can tell. Amy was in a seriously bad place psychologically. Victoria's reaction is also completely understandable though because what happened to her was horrifying on multiple levels, and even if there was no malice on Amy's part and she undid the physical damage in the end, it's not something that's forgivable since it was inconceivably huge violation of trust and bodily autonomy. I'm not sure you can really overcome something like that, even if intellectually you could recognise that a person wasn't in their right mind and there were extenuating circumstances that led them to behave the way they did.

Carol is a terrible person who is beyond hope though. God drat.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Carol is terrible.

I feel like Victoria's reaction is believable (as much as a super hero punch story can be) because what Amy did is on a level I can't even comprehend.

Losing one's sense of what they even are in a physical sense. The knowledge that even the form of one's body isn't sacred.

The bit at the end with the power and the window was... disturbing. I get why she doesn't want to use her power now.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Its not been explored or explained yet if Amy reversed the part where she made Victoria love her romantically, although i would assume she did, but that adds another layer of hosed up to everything also

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

violent sex idiot posted:

Its not been explored or explained yet if Amy reversed the part where she made Victoria love her romantically, although i would assume she did, but that adds another layer of hosed up to everything also

I think Victoria implied that the biologically enforced love was removed when she was turned back to normal 2 years ago in the latest chapter

Daybreak 1.7 posted:

“I wasn’t talking about living accommodations,” Gilpatrick said. “Your head, your heart. Are there any lingering effects from the emotion effect?”

“For the last two years,” I whispered.

“Sorry? I didn’t catch that,” he said.

“It’s gone. It really sucked while it was in effect, but it’s gone. Right now I’m in that heavyhearted, almost-blameless-but-guilty ‘morning after’ phase, where I’m reflecting on everything I did when I was under the influence,” I said.

Also remember that Amy was begging Victoria not to touch her just before she made her love her romantically with her power, and that it was a barely conscious thing that she was immediately horrified by and wanted to change back

Interlude 11h posted:

“Don’t touch me,” Amy warned her sister.

[...]

“I love you,” Victoria said, stressing the ‘I’. She dropped to the ground and stepped closer.

“Don’t touch me!”

“Idiot,” Victoria grabbed her sister by the shirt collar and pulled her into a painfully tight hug.

“Don’t,” Amy moaned into her sister’s shoulder.

“All of this? We’ll work it out. As a family. And if your idea of family means it’s just you and me, then we’ll work it out together, just the two of us.”

All it took was one moment of weakness, and she was weak. At the end of her rope, desperately lonely, haunted by her father’s shadow, her shame at being unwilling and unable to help Mark until now, the idea that one of the Slaughterhouse Nine thought she belonged with them?

She was losing everything so quickly. Victoria was all she had, and it was the choice between abandoning that for everyone’s good and keeping Victoria close.

She felt Victoria’s body more acutely than she felt her own. Every heartbeat, every cell brimming with life.

Like a flame at the end of a long fuse, leading to a stick of dynamite, her power traveled from the side of Victoria’s neck to her brain. It was barely a conscious action on Amy’s part.

Victoria let go of her, pushed her away. “What did you just do?”

Amy could see the revulsion slowly spreading across Victoria’s face.

The magnitude of what she’d just done hit her with a suddenness and pain she likened to a bullet to the chest. “Oh god. Please, let me undo it.”

She reached out, but Victoria stepped back.

“What the hell did you do?” Victoria asked, her eyes wide, “I felt something. I feel something. You’ve used your power on me before, but not like this. I- You changed the way I think. More than that.”

Tears welled at the corners of Amy’s eyes. “Please. This is what I was afraid of. Let me undo it. Let me fix it and leave, and you can go back to Mark and Carol and you three can be a family, and-”

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

They both hosed each other up really bad (and Carol and the s9 dindn't loving help things), but it's important to remember that Amy was able to receive help and support that gave her a way to deal with what she'd done to Victoria. Victoria wasn't so lucky, being stuck in a state that no one other than Amy could do anything about for two loving years.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

They both hosed each other up really bad (and Carol and the s9 dindn't loving help things)

Tattletale didn't help either...

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

They both hosed each other up really bad (and Carol and the s9 dindn't loving help things), but it's important to remember that Amy was able to receive help and support that gave her a way to deal with what she'd done to Victoria. Victoria wasn't so lucky, being stuck in a state that no one other than Amy could do anything about for two loving years.

Oh yeah no Amy definitely got the better deal of the two. And it is partially her fault that the way that she dealt with the guilt of her actions was to lock herself up in the birdcage as a kind of penance, instead of getting intensive psychological help so maybe she could fix her sister sooner rather than later(never, if golden morning hadn't happened). Though of course the reason she did that was because she was so broken she legitimately thought she was intrinsically bad because of her heritage and there was no hope of ever being able to fix things. So on one level she was running away, but on another level she probably thought that was for the best because she was beyond help. Ironically, this lead her to get more help because she ended up with someone who did care for her, her father, whereas Victoria was abandoned to languish in a mental hospital for those deformed by powers. Having been in a hospital room for 18 months as a teenager myself, I can say that it's pretty awful, even without being abandoned by my family and turned into a giant blob monster who can only communicate via a complex system of levers. So yeah, Victoria definitely wins the suffering olympics in this case.

Silver2195 posted:

Tattletale didn't help either...

Yeah but I don't think Tattletale could have foreseen what was going to happen. She was in a situation where she needed to avoid being pulverised by glory girl, and that situation itself wasn't something she really had much control over because she was coerced into it by coil under the threat of being tortured and either turned into a drug puppet like Dinah or just killed. Also Amy was threatening Taylor at the time, I think, though I don't have time to go back and check. Though maybe she could have handled it better, she was sort of oriented towards exploiting people's weak points to gain control of the situation, and she desperately needed control of the situation in that instance, so she went for the biggest weak spot she could find. I would say Carol carries way more responsibility for what happened than Tattletale; it's not like if she hadn't said anything that Amy wouldn't still be in love with her sister. It maybe made her just that little bit more paranoid and self loathing and that was one straw out of many that eventually contributed to breaking her back, but idk.

A Spherical Sponge fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 30, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It doesn't look like Victoria has or is willing to address her role in what Amy did either. But that's understandable, as she's stunted from the two years and simply doesn't have the support she needs. Of course someone telling Victoria "oh, yeah, you victimized the hell out of Amy too you know" wouldn't help things.

On Tattletale; She did try to help when it became obvious that her words to Amy had helped make the situation. Without her Amy would have probably let Victoria die.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 30, 2017

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Idk I think saying Victoria victimised Amy isn't the right way to put it. Victoria didn't know that her aura was causing Amy to fall in love with her, even though it was irresponsible of her to use it how she did. She was complicit in how her mother emotionally abused Amy and didn't do enough to stop her sister from torturing herself with work, but at the same time she was a teenager and wasn't really equipped to challenge her mother on how she treated Amy. She could have done more to stop things turning out as they did, but like you said it's not really helpful for her to ruminate on that when she barely has any support structures in place and she hasn't dealt with her trauma in any significant way. She can't even think about Amy at the moment without having a panic attack so I think dispassionately contemplating what went wrong and what she could have done better to avoid things turning out how they did is sort of off the table for a while anyway. Either way I doubt there's any chance of her making amends with Amy in such a way that they become something like 'family' again. It would optimistic to expect that she'd even be able to talk to amy ever again imo, let alone have some sort of amicable relationship.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

victimization needn't be intentional

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Ah yeah that's a good point. I guess I was thinking that Victoria didn't really actively contribute to the negative environment Amy was in, just sort of passively allowed it to continue. I don't really know if complicity in victimisation counts as victimisation itself. And I guess the unintentional aura brainwashing would count either way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Friends, I'm not sure I'm up for a series that's all about a character with PTSD; the chapter with Sy going nuts was enough to make me quit reading Twig until the series had finished.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Friends, I'm not sure I'm up for a series that's all about a character with PTSD; the chapter with Sy going nuts was enough to make me quit reading Twig until the series had finished.

That's everything Wildbow writes tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Worm's first arc really ground your face into Taylor's trauma before letting it fade into the background a bit, so I'm expecting Ward to take a similar approach. This arc has to establish that Victoria has PTSD and make sure we understand what that means for her, but that doesn't mean that her dealing with PTSD will be the focus of the story as whole (even if it is what ends up driving the plot to some degree).