Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Should V from V for Vendetta be unmasked? I'm quite interested in Mr. Bibs answer to this.

We already know what he looks like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Should V from V for Vendetta be unmasked? I'm quite interested in Mr. Bibs answer to this.

Unmasking implies there's a real personality underneath to reveal. V is V, the mask is his face. If he took it off, what's underneath would be his true mask.

the same goes for batman, his real self is batman and bruce wayne is the identity he assumes

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Why did they not unmask Superman after he died to find out he was Clark Kent?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most disappointing unmasking: when the Phantom took his mask off in The Phantom of the Opera and it was just Gerard Butler with a bad sunburn.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

We already know what he looks like:
Fixed it for you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Memento posted:

Nahh you can't just say "plenty of poo poo in Mad Max: Fury Road ruins the movie" and not expect to get called out on it. Please, elaborate as to the stuff from Mad Max: Fury Road that ruined it.

Max and Furiosa doesn't hook up when the movie ends
Max doesn't have any funny quips
Max doesn't have to save Furiosa from the villain
Lil'Wayne and the X-Ambassadors didn't release a tie-in song

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Gaunab posted:

With Spawn he got transformed into a blonde hair blue eyed guy to walk around and he was like "What the hell? Why do I look like this? I'm a black guy!" Everytime he's disguised himself since, he's been a black man.

Spawn the comic is really boring though. Especially when they take the focus off Al and put it on the two detectives.

I watched the really really excellent HBO animation before reading any of the comics and I was honestly shocked how boring the comics actually were.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

Max and Furiosa doesn't hook up when the movie ends
Max doesn't have to save Furiosa from the villain
Lil'Wayne and the X-Ambassadors didn't release a tie-in song

Thefuck?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Well he kind of didn't, in the damsal-in-distress kind of way

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Memento posted:

Well he kind of didn't, in the damsal-in-distress kind of way

Right but how is that a bad thing? I know I'm getting sucked into a troll post, but I wanna know where this is gonna go.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Right but how is that a bad thing? I know I'm getting sucked into a troll post, but I wanna know where this is gonna go.

Alhazred gave cliches the movie avoids as examples or things noted movie idiot mrbibs might think were missing from the movie oh my god I'm explaining jokes in pyf

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

did you read the entire post or did you just decide to crawl out of bed and jump to some completely incorrect conclusions this morning

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Magnus Manfist posted:

I don't watch all the superhero films, but to me the ones like Logan that try to be really serious can't get around the fact that super-soldiers don't really seem to be worth the hassle? Like the perfect X-24 supersoldier manages to stab a couple of people in their sleep, then after a massive epic fight with wolverine just gets run over by a normal dude driving a normal jeep. Great use of a billion dollars. Maybe just invest in jeeps? You can ignore it when it's the goofier movies, but whent they're trying to be super serious and realistic you have massive military projects, presumably costing millions or billions, creating a weapon that's clearly less useful than a bomber plane or a couple of snipers. It's not even like the Bourne movies where he's the ultimate spy or something that vaguely makes sense, they're always on the front line kicking the poo poo out of people.

I always assume that this particular super soldier is just the prototype, the one that they created and are testing but is far from the finished article. So X24 costs millions and might not seem all that practical or cost effective, but further down the line they will have the kinks ironed out, will be able to make loads of them cheaper and they will basically be like terminators.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Turtlicious posted:

:frogout:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Calling it Law of is exactly what made Bibs so frustrating in the first place, though. They're narrative conventions, not laws to be followed.

"things that are shown are more important than things that are not shown" seems a pretty good law, unless you're getting really avant-garde.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

My IMM for X-Men first class is Darwin.

His superpower is 'reactive evolution', which reshapes his body to adapt to his surroundings and lets him survive anything, so naturally (A) he has black skin in 1960s America, and (B) he gets killed by the villain in one shot, and is the only hero who dies.

We can't ever catch a break, even with a superpower off 'adapts to anything' backing us up.

Jedit posted:

The Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu predates TV Tropes, if it makes you feel better.

Everything on TvTropes predates TvTropes.

My IIMM with Thor: Ragnarok are as follows: Them adding more comedy to it fine for the most part to give Thor some personality and show that he's not flawless and kinda bumbling his way through a lot of the time- which is a great improvement from the first movie, I didn't even bother watching the second one, it was so boring most of the time- but I've gotta say that I'm a little annoyed at some parts. Banner jumping out of the ship and loving dying on impact with the bridge. Look, I get that you wanna make a joke but really? It's a parasitic relationship, Hulk's supposed to be a bit quicker on the draw so he doesn't stop existing! Also I thought Asgardians had a healing factor too? Is Thor seriously not getting that eye back from here on out? Also how little being Asgardian seemed to matter to begin with too, considering that little poison disc shut him down every single time and he couldn't even bring himself to tear off some skin to get it off of himself. I thought that was how they were going to bring down Hela before it ended up getting used on Loki.

That said, props on them actually giving all the Valkyries actual loving armor instead of something that looks like it came from one of those lovely games that advertise on the side of webpages or what DC's doing with the Wonder Woman sequel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bucketybuck posted:

I always assume that this particular super soldier is just the prototype, the one that they created and are testing but is far from the finished article. So X24 costs millions and might not seem all that practical or cost effective, but further down the line they will have the kinks ironed out, will be able to make loads of them cheaper and they will basically be like terminators.

Also it's not like X-24 is bad as he is. Logan, with over a century of combat experience and on a massive OD of stimulant drugs, still couldn't beat X-24 even after a truck got dropped on the fucker.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And honestly "We spent billions and ended up with one sorta-working prototype" isnt out of the question for US military spending.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RareAcumen posted:

We can't ever catch a break, even with a superpower off 'adapts to anything' backing us up.

Everything on TvTropes predates TvTropes.

My IIMM with Thor: Ragnarok are as follows: Them adding more comedy to it fine for the most part to give Thor some personality and show that he's not flawless and kinda bumbling his way through a lot of the time- which is a great improvement from the first movie, I didn't even bother watching the second one, it was so boring most of the time- but I've gotta say that I'm a little annoyed at some parts. Banner jumping out of the ship and loving dying on impact with the bridge. Look, I get that you wanna make a joke but really? It's a parasitic relationship, Hulk's supposed to be a bit quicker on the draw so he doesn't stop existing! Also I thought Asgardians had a healing factor too? Is Thor seriously not getting that eye back from here on out? Also how little being Asgardian seemed to matter to begin with too, considering that little poison disc shut him down every single time and he couldn't even bring himself to tear off some skin to get it off of himself. I thought that was how they were going to bring down Hela before it ended up getting used on Loki.

That said, props on them actually giving all the Valkyries actual loving armor instead of something that looks like it came from one of those lovely games that advertise on the side of webpages or what DC's doing with the Wonder Woman sequel.

Banner dying, what? It was a callback to Ed Norton's Hulk movie where he did the same thing before fighting Abomination, except he left a crater in the asphalt. Banner said he might not come back because Hulk had grown stronger in the two years on Sakar. Hulk's will is overpowering Banner. He's not dead but he may be lost.

Asgardians heal faster and are more difficult to injure. But Thor was cut with a magic super-science sword, so all bets are off.

The disk wasn't poison. It was more direct link to nervous system, causing a seizure. Based on the strength Hela showed, I doubt it would have worked on her. Just like now that Thor has fully unlocked his lightning mode, it probably wouldn't work on him again. He was just starting to tap in to it in the arena, but didn't have enough control. They zapped him just as he was getting started. It's likely the only reason he was only mostly dead.

The eye is symbolic. It shows his loss, and his maturity (cause it's like his dad). Healing it would ruin the entire point.

Added spoiler tags.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SiKboy posted:

And honestly "We spent billions and ended up with one sorta-working prototype" isnt out of the question for US military spending.

Hell, ending up with a sorta-working prototype is a better result than most military boondoggles.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

I liked how that's the plot of Cube: The government built a huge cube filled with death traps but didn't know what to do with it. But since they spent a fortune building it they had to use it for something, so they keep kidnapping random persons and put them in the cube

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

Banner dying, what? It was a callback to Ed Norton's Hulk movie where he did the same thing before fighting Abomination, except he left a crater in the asphalt. Banner said he might not come back because Hulk had grown stronger in the two years on Sakar. Hulk's will is overpowering Banner. He's not dead but he may be lost.

Asgardians heal faster and are more difficult to injure. But Thor was cut with a magic super-science sword, so all bets are off.

The disk wasn't poison. It was more direct link to nervous system, causing a seizure. Based on the strength Hela showed, I doubt it would have worked on her. Just like now that Thor has fully unlocked his lightning mode, it probably wouldn't work on him again. He was just starting to tap in to it in the arena, but didn't have enough control. They zapped him just as he was getting started. It's likely the only reason he was only mostly dead.

The eye is symbolic. It shows his loss, and his maturity (cause it's like his dad). Healing it would ruin the entire point.

Added spoiler tags.

That's just a meme. People on the forums sometimes say 'I can't believe ____ is loving dead' as a joke, I wasn't being genuine.

[spoiler]Look, I spent about three minutes struggling to remember the word 'disc' I don't really know how the thing worked, I just know that he immediately went statue as soon as it turned on, I don't really know how it worked or what to call it. It worked on him so I thought the plan was to take it and use it on Hela. That''s as far as my planning went.[/spoiler[

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I liked how that's the plot of Cube: The government built a huge cube filled with death traps but didn't know what to do with it. But since they spent a fortune building it they had to use it for something, so they keep kidnapping random persons and put them in the cube

Spoilers for Cube

With the possible exception of Alderson, the people in the Cube aren't random. They've been placed in as a team to work together. Worth can define the problem. Leaven is there to find the mathematical code on the doors and Kazan is there to solve it. Rennes is there to get the group past traps they can't avoid, Holloway is a doctor who can assist with minor injuries, and Quentin is there to provide leadership, authority and direction. The only reason this isn't immediately obvious is because Kazan wakes up first and wanders off, and because Worth is an enormous cynic and assumes it has no purpose.

However, most of the six are also there for a second reason. Worth is the architect of the Cube and has been put in because he knows about it; Holloway is a conspiracy nut and can be presumed to have discovered something she shouldn't; Rennes has escaped from seven prisons, so they put him in to see if he can escape the Cube; and it's not unlikely that Kazan was used to create the door codes, it being a task beyond any normal human mind. For the others we can only speculate, but Quentin is a psychotic cop - easy to see him getting embarrassingly brutal on the job. As for Leaven, maybe some dubious student politics? Even Alderson seems a lot more frightened than you'd expect for someone who simply doesn't know what is going on.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RareAcumen posted:

That's just a meme. People on the forums sometimes say 'I can't believe ____ is loving dead' as a joke, I wasn't being genuine.

Look, I spent about three minutes struggling to remember the word 'disc' I don't really know how the thing worked, I just know that he immediately went statue as soon as it turned on, I don't really know how it worked or what to call it. It worked on him so I thought the plan was to take it and use it on Hela. That''s as far as my planning went.

Based on how the victims reacted, they seemed to be remote controlled tasers. I wonder why they didn't use it on Hell. Even if it failed, it would have been a good site gag. But Thor finally one-upping Loki was another great way to show Thor's new maturity.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aleph Null posted:

Based on how the victims reacted, they seemed to be remote controlled tasers. I wonder why they didn't use it on Hell. Even if it failed, it would have been a good site gag. But Thor finally one-upping Loki was another great way to show Thor's new maturity.

The aspect I liked most about Thor getting one over on Loki was that he got to give the "Oh you fool, you've grown predictable... Now I'm going to tell you all the ways you suck!" speech to his paralyzed victim - a speech normally reserved for the villains in stories.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I thought Asgardians had a healing factor too? Is Thor seriously not getting that eye back from here on out?

Odin didn't grow his eye back, and he had that eyepatch a lot longer than half a movie

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Odin didn't grow his eye back, and he had that eyepatch a lot longer than half a movie

He was super old tho. Also I never watched the second movie so I don't know if he lifts it up at any point but it could be there still for whatever reason.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

Spoilers for Cube

With the possible exception of Alderson, the people in the Cube aren't random. They've been placed in as a team to work together. Worth can define the problem. Leaven is there to find the mathematical code on the doors and Kazan is there to solve it. Rennes is there to get the group past traps they can't avoid, Holloway is a doctor who can assist with minor injuries, and Quentin is there to provide leadership, authority and direction. The only reason this isn't immediately obvious is because Kazan wakes up first and wanders off, and because Worth is an enormous cynic and assumes it has no purpose.

However, most of the six are also there for a second reason. Worth is the architect of the Cube and has been put in because he knows about it; Holloway is a conspiracy nut and can be presumed to have discovered something she shouldn't; Rennes has escaped from seven prisons, so they put him in to see if he can escape the Cube; and it's not unlikely that Kazan was used to create the door codes, it being a task beyond any normal human mind. For the others we can only speculate, but Quentin is a psychotic cop - easy to see him getting embarrassingly brutal on the job. As for Leaven, maybe some dubious student politics? Even Alderson seems a lot more frightened than you'd expect for someone who simply doesn't know what is going on.

Quentin: Why put people in it?
Worth: Because it's here. You have to use it, or you admit it's pointless.
Quentin: But it, it *is* pointless.
Worth: Quentin... that's my point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Memento posted:

Nahh you can't just say "plenty of poo poo in Mad Max: Fury Road ruins the movie" and not expect to get called out on it. Please, elaborate as to the stuff from Mad Max: Fury Road that ruined it.

Here's a hot take: Fury Road is one of the best movies ever. Action or otherwise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Quentin: Why put people in it?
Worth: Because it's here. You have to use it, or you admit it's pointless.
Quentin: But it, it *is* pointless.
Worth: Quentin... that's my point.

I qualified that exact point in the spoilers. Worth is a cynic, he thinks the Cube has no purpose, but he's only half right. It was built without purpose, but then a purpose was found for it. His error lies in thinking that the purpose so found is equally meaningless.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

That's bait.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

He was super old tho. Also I never watched the second movie so I don't know if he lifts it up at any point but it could be there still for whatever reason.

Personally I want a Thor movie that's closer to the comics. Where Thor has to fight Odin's eye in order to get information and stop it from terrorizing a village of dwarves.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows Odin gave his eye for one sip from the well of wisdom. Later the Vanir kidnapped the keeper of the well and mailed his head to Odin who of course brought it back to live through necromancy so it could dispense advice.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Slime posted:

Unmasking implies there's a real personality underneath to reveal. V is V, the mask is his face. If he took it off, what's underneath would be his true mask.

the same goes for batman, his real self is batman and bruce wayne is the identity he assumes

Uh unmasking implies nothing, I'm only interested in the physical aspect of a mask being removed from a characters face, not a philosophical rewanking of the term.

I also know what hugo weaving looks like.

Mr Bibs, I ask you again, should V from V from Vendetta have had his mask removed, seeing as it's a character wearing a mask in a movie.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Red Skull took his mask off but I don't think he put it on at the beginning of the movie??

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

bucketybuck posted:

Actually that does make way more sense, I can see that having whole army divisions made of mass-produced bulletproof immortals would be pretty sweet.

I still think it's dumb when they massively overstate how effective individual superpowered people would be in films that are trying to be really serious though. I only watched most of the first season of the Luke Cage show but they're clearly trying to be pretty serious, it's not just good guys and bad criminals, they're maybe influenced a bit by the Wire, lots of stuff like younger kids getting sucked into a life of crime and people trying to get away from their past etc etc. And then there's one scene where the two detectives are talking about how impossible their job is and how they wish they had help from the superheroes from the main films. The exchange goes something like "Unless you've got a magic hammer on you I just don't see what we can do", and the guy shrugs like "just keep doing our jobs I guess".

Like what? If we had a magic hammer obviously we could simply bash organised crime and the socioeconomic factors leading to cycles of violence, but without some kind of Really Strong Guy I guesss there's only so much the entire NYPD, which has loving tanks, can do? Again it's fine when it's goofy movies about comic book heroes fighting space robots or whatever, but it just seems really juvenile to treat real world issues fairly seriously and still act like they could be solved by one superstrong guy punching stuff.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

Uh unmasking implies nothing, I'm only interested in the physical aspect of a mask being removed from a characters face, not a philosophical rewanking of the term.

I also know what hugo weaving looks like.

Mr Bibs, I ask you again, should V from V from Vendetta have had his mask removed, seeing as it's a character wearing a mask in a movie.

Why are you hitting your head against this wall? What do you gain?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Venting about V's visage on viewing V for Vendetta is a vain venture. Seeking vindication here is very valueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
The nuance of Natalie's knickers.