Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nancy Pelosi is an effective leader, but awful, awful, awful at TV appearances and needed to stop doing them years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

Nancy Pelosi is an effective leader, but awful, awful, awful at TV appearances and needed to stop doing them years ago.

Effective as in a 1000 total lost down ticket races? After such a loss she said she wanted to maintain the status quo....

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I don't even think she's effective in the context of an opposition business party paid to lose

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

wrong if theres one thing i learned in japan you can listen to like 40 at once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJh1B2jpIs

someone needs to write a paper on why asia has giant bands and america has individual pop stars mostly. hopefully they make it extremely orientalist

AKB48 was created to be essentially a minor celebrity factory. With 48 members they can regularly bring in new people and create spinoff subbands. Some former AKB members have gone on to have successful solo music or acting careers, but I think most of the just retire or go into gravure. AKB48's success led to copycat groups throughout Asia.

Idol groups with huge membership aren't a product of Asian cultural taste so much as they are a product of horrifying late-stage capitalism

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

etalian posted:

Effective as in a 1000 total lost down ticket races? After such a loss she said she wanted to maintain the status quo....

Effective in terms of keeping the House caucus in line. She's been leader for so long most people don't remember what it's like without her in charge, but expect the House Dems to behave a lot more like the House Republicans when she's gone.

But yes, in terms of media appearances and campaigning, she's garbage.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Joementum posted:

I wish people would stop saying the first part of this statement.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Guy Goodbody posted:

AKB48 was created to be essentially a minor celebrity factory. With 48 members they can regularly bring in new people and create spinoff subbands. Some former AKB members have gone on to have successful solo music or acting careers, but I think most of the just retire or go into gravure. AKB48's success led to copycat groups throughout Asia.

Idol groups with huge membership aren't a product of Asian cultural taste so much as they are a product of horrifying late-stage capitalism

excuse me this is clearly nogizaka46

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nancy Pelosi has been instrumental in silencing progressives and excusing Obama's terrible presidency.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Effective in terms of keeping the House caucus in line. She's been leader for so long most people don't remember what it's like without her in charge, but expect the House Dems to behave a lot more like the House Republicans when she's gone.

Oh right, that's why the Dems were able to accomplish so much when they controlled the legislature in 2009.
Wait, that's wrong! They accomplished almost nothing!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

logikv9 posted:

I can only do a month or a week

A week.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i guess nancy pelosi might've been effective at serving the interests of capital and ensuring no pro-union or pro-worker legislation would be passed or entertained

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frijolero posted:

Nancy Pelosi has been instrumental in silencing progressives and excusing Obama's terrible presidency.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

enjoy!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obummer Nancy!

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

For his crimes of sexual misconduct congressman Conyers is being sent to his office without dessert,

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nancy Pelosi is the grim spectre of death that this Hellworld government will visit upon us all.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Joementum posted:

thats pretty hosed if she's the bastion there but like just peel that scab off and let it bleed already otherwise its just perpetuity as she strives for the status quo

god forbid that those house democrats in her absence just galvanizes the left more~

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pelosi, meanwhile, also said the reaction to sexual misconduct accusations against former President Bill Clinton from that era versus today represent “obviously a generational change.”

“The concern that we had then was that they were impeaching the president of the United States, and for something that had nothing to do with the performance of his duties, and trying to take him out for that reason," Pelosi added. "But let's go forward. Let's go forward. I think that something wonderful is happening now, very credible. It's 100 years, almost 100 years, since women got the right to vote. Here we are, almost 100 years later, and something very transformative is happening.”

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh right, that's why the Dems were able to accomplish so much when they controlled the legislature in 2009.
Wait, that's wrong! They accomplished almost nothing!

the house did a great job in 2009, it's just most of their bills died in the senate

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pelosi joined the House in 1987 and just kinda stayed there.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

punk rebel ecks posted:

While I definitely agree with you, I can see Matt's point of how some of the white rurals are suffocating their children to a life of minimal opportunity in order to spite the liberals. Obviously a Latino who graduates from college will be paid less and have less opportunities than a white person who does the same. But they will more than likely be better of than a walking stereotype in bumfuck nowhere who barely scraped by their GED.
The disdain for academia liberalism has existed since the 70s and earlier among that demographic. It's not gonna become a whole paradigm shift in a generation with yet another bubble of superficial conflict.

These people will go to trade schools and technical colleges to get local okay paying jobs within their social economic demographic. This is something they've done and will do, as hands on technical/mechanical work will always be needed.
Those who are more educate will go to higher level institutions that either share their social ideology (avoiding liberal colleges), or deal with the conflicts on campus (see many tropes about college clique interactions).

The people that are on the low end of power will ultimately have no real effect on what really happens as their position is literally within the status quo that has existed for longer than I've been alive. The people with power are the rich who go to college anyway and graduate despite their skills, which they are more likely to have honed due to the benefits they have for being more well off than the poor saps who are still in debt over 10 years later for even the small amount secondary technical schooling costs.

The thing about trade schools and technical colleges is academic liberals have the same disdain for them and the social class that frequent them as do the people who dislike college liberalism. So all the Academia vs Trade/Technical training BS is just an extension of greater social cultural clash and worth literally nothing as nothing has changed nor will change.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Nov 26, 2017

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Lastgirl posted:

thats pretty hosed if she's the bastion there but like just peel that scab off and let it bleed already otherwise its just perpetuity as she strives for the status quo

god forbid that those house democrats in her absence just galvanizes the left more~

I mean, unless you’re a federal employee in suburban Maryland, Minority Leader Hoyer ain’t gonna be a treat.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/934816928081858560

this whole thread is an amazing encapsulation of elite liberal “Trump is the disease, not a mere symptom” thinking

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

I hope they build the 2nd HQ in a miserable rust belt city like Rochester or Cleveland.

It should be in Buffalo NY so that nobody wants to use Amazon anymore

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

only 59% of people who enter college graduate though, so thats still around 35% with an actual degree

That's irrelevant to the topic at hand though, which is related to people paying for college. Presumably those people who didn't graduate still had to spend money in most cases to attend for the time they did.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

sleep with the vicious posted:

Bernie is the sexist, actually
Easy way to tell if the Democrats do/are something bad.

If they claim that someone else is something bad with a huge amount of gusto, but deny they are that something bad, then they are indeed that something bad, if not more.
Especially if they have literally little to no amount of evidence defending their initial claim against the other, and yet the same if not more evidence for the claim against them.

Just remember, even the Republicans call Bernie Sanders honest to a fault as a compliment to him as a person but detriment to his character and genuine political opinions, and we got Democrats calling him one of the most corrupt and grifting politicians ever and his supporters equally compromised.

Literally straight up projection.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Also one dude is responsible for a lot of them and he does the molesting at them all the time

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
there's a specter haunting the suck zone

the specter of nancy pelosi

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

https://twitter.com/benjaminwittes/status/934816928081858560

this whole thread is an amazing encapsulation of elite liberal “Trump is the disease, not a mere symptom” thinking

The Suck Zone: A political manifesto in eighteen tweets.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Can't ya'll just protest quietly outside of town? It's just so gosh darn rude y'know?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/934497334007943168

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/934852764391432192

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's a little weird given the amount of downballot losses in the past decade that there hasn't been the same push to replace democratic leadership that there was among republicans in the wake of of their losses in 06-08, which were nowhere near as severe

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

BERNIE!!!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's a little weird given the amount of downballot losses in the past decade that there hasn't been the same push to replace democratic leadership that there was among republicans in the wake of of their losses in 06-08, which were nowhere near as severe

The base of the Democrats has no real political power, and the people at the top are the ones with wads of cash. The base can't influence the leadership to do poo poo, because leadership is in safe districts and control all the finances.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just walk around and point at things and say "nationalized" already bernie

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

The world in which pelosi would/should be replaced would be a hell of a lot more clear if everytime it was brought up the instant response wasn't "OH SO YOU WANT THE HOUSE DEMS LED BY TIM RYAN" or whatever lameass currently has seniority/position rather than picking from all available options.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's almost like they are paid to lose

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/934860176192147456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pretty damned good.

• Locked thread