Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Oh, I'm definitely trying out Patriot and Reilly. If nothing else so I can continue watching them. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does it have a lovely ending? One of the reasons I haven't watched it was because I heard it got cancelled and just assumed I'd be left unsatisfied with a cliffhanger or something.

It looks like a cliffhanger ending but it's obvious what's going to happen. The main mystery that starts off the show gets solved by the end. It's a good enough ending to me, though I would have loved a second season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just starting episode seven of Godless, and it hasn't felt plodding to me at all. I'm really invested in these characters.

The kid is a terrible actor, though.

e: yeah Terriers ended well enough. drat shame that show never took off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Reilly, Ace of Spies is really, really dope. But also dated in a few ways. An incidence of yellowface and a general amount of misogyny.

Buy in general, it's very good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

It looks like a cliffhanger ending but it's obvious what's going to happen. The main mystery that starts off the show gets solved by the end. It's a good enough ending to me, though I would have loved a second season.

Exactly that. The one cliffhanger bit was answered by a writer after it was apparent there would never be a season 2

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Don't bother trying to get someone into BCS if they don't like breaking bad, I don't really see the point and a lot of the nuance is lost

I'm not sure, I think BCS stands pretty well on its own and is so outstanding that it could be enjoyed even without having watched BB.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the best parts of BCS, like the whole Chuck/Jimmy relationship, have loving nothing to do with BB. In fact I find a lot of the overt references more annoying than anything - it's worth watching either way.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Did either of you watch BCS before BB? Not saying that I don't think the show is extremely good, but I don't know anyone who watched the show that hadn't already finished BB.

e: and for those who like it who haven't seen BB, I get the feeling it's going to spoil the gently caress out of BB at some point, like watching Episodes 1-3 before the Original Trilogy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Reilly, Ace of Spies is really, really dope. But also dated in a few ways. An incidence of yellowface and a general amount of misogyny.

Buy in general, it's very good.

Martin Campbell directed a bunch of episodes for Reilly: Ace of Spies. His other big series for the BBC in the 1980s was the thriller miniseries Edge of Darkness with Bob Peck, which should also be checked out.

Sam Neill was screen tested to be James Bond on the strength of his performance in Reilly. It ended up not happening, of course.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Did either of you watch BCS before BB? Not saying that I don't think the show is extremely good, but I don't know anyone who watched the show that hadn't already finished BB.

e: and for those who like it who haven't seen BB, I get the feeling it's going to spoil the gently caress out of BB at some point, like watching Episodes 1-3 before the Original Trilogy.

No, but I don't really revere BB the way most people do and generally find that the connection between the two shows holds back BCS more than it helps it narratively. The show is definitely constructed in such a way that you don't need to have watched BB to just follow the plot.

Also I don't see how BCS would end up spoiling BB that much, it's not like it has a great amount of Star Wars-like twists that would change the entire context of either show. At least I really don't think they are going to go in that direction. BCS is not a particularly plot-heavy show anyway, it's largely a character study held up by brilliant direction and atmosphere.

I just think BCS is a way better show than BB ever was and it would be a huge shame for anyone to miss it just because they haven't trekked their way through BB.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 26, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

After burning off basically all of season 2 of The Shannara Chronicles, the last episode ends with a cliffhanger and a "will be continued..."

I'd be surprised as poo poo if it comes back.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Everything you mention in that post is kinda... serious. Maybe try some light-hearted things? Braindead is a single amazing season that is very funny, with only some tense moments. If they like politics stuff, Veep and Alpha House are the obvious next steps. Pushing Daisies is flawless and adorable, and if they like it there's also Dead Like Me (though it's definitely not as good). Speaking of Brian Fuller, American Gods might be pushing it, because it does obviously have supernatural stuff, and it gets bloody at times, but it's slow and heavily character focused, so I never thought it got too intense. UnReal might be very hit or miss. If they realize how insane the whole thing is, they'll probably find it hilarious; if they don't it might be too dark.

If you're going to stay with serious stuff, my personal pet favourite that has some flaws is ReGenesis, which you can watch on Hulu I think. Hard sci-fi, except biology themed instead of space stuff.

Also, this will only last half an hour, so it won't grant you much reprieve, but Dr. Horrible is worth a shot as a funny intermezzo :v:.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, the best parts of BCS, like the whole Chuck/Jimmy relationship, have loving nothing to do with BB. In fact I find a lot of the overt references more annoying than anything - it's worth watching either way.

This most recent season is definitively the best season of BCS and it's at times virtually incomprehensible if you haven't seen BB, especially with whatever Gus or Mike are doing. Maybe before season 3 that was a true statement and you could recommend watching BCS without having seen BB, but definitely not now.

Also BCS is great but it is absolutely of the same tonal and thematic piece with BB. Pretending like they're two fundamentally different shows is really silly when they're shot the same way, have the same style, use the same or similar framing narratives, have similar pacing, and have the same tonal perspective. Really, the biggest difference between BCS and BB is that one is pretty action focused and one isn't, but even that's been changed with the most recent season having a fairly heavy focus on action.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 26, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen BB and what Mike is doing in BCS is incomprehensible anyway.

You don't need to see BB at all to watch BCS.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
How about some Due South? That's all family as hell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I've seen BB and what Mike is doing in BCS is incomprehensible anyway.

You don't need to see BB at all to watch BCS.

What Mike is doing is "Being Mike From Breaking Bad, Remember Breaking Bad?"

Which is maybe even less jarring if you don't, because he would just be mysterious instead of shoehorned in. But yeah you definitely do not need to have seen Breaking Bad for BCS.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This most recent season is definitively the best season of BCS and it's at times virtually incomprehensible if you haven't seen BB, especially with whatever Gus or Mike are doing. Maybe before season 3 that was a true statement and you could recommend watching BCS without having seen BB, but definitely not now.

Also BCS is great but it is absolutely of the same tonal and thematic piece with BB. Pretending like they're two fundamentally different shows is really silly when they're shot the same way, have the same style, use the same or similar framing narratives, have similar pacing, and have the same tonal perspective. Really, the biggest difference between BCS and BB is that one is pretty action focused and one isn't, but even that's been changed with the most recent season having a fairly heavy focus on action.
I don't see how one needs to watch Breaking Bad to understand what Gus or Mike are doing. Their stories function perfectly on their own. Can you point to a specific event or behavior that wouldn't make sense without knowing Breaking Bad?

I'm pretty split about whether knowledge of the connection between BB and BCS is a good thing. BB is this huge cloud that looms over BCS's characters. It lends a huge sense of dread to Jimmy's relationship with Kim and (until very recently) Chuck. It creates plot armor for Tuco, Nacho, Mike and Gus (can't loving die). It constantly invites you to wonder how Jimmy becomes Saul. But maybe that futurity lends a kind of flavor to the show, too.

Show's really fuckin' good is what I'm saying.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

IRQ posted:

Which is maybe even less jarring if you don't, because he would just be mysterious instead of shoehorned in.

Shoehorned in? He's in the show from like the first four episodes. What are you talking about

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 26, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shoehorned in? He's in the show from like the first four episodes. What are you talking about
Mike generally hasn't been integral to the plot of BCS and doesn't have much of a story of his own. He does feel a little tacked on, especially with those extended sequences of him tinkering with poo poo. I'm perfectly happy with his role, though. The show's confident enough to have a character like that and not suffer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vegetable posted:

Mike generally hasn't been integral to the plot of BCS and doesn't have much of a story of his own.

The best episode in season one is a Mike solo. Did...did we watch the same show?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Also lol at Mike's motivation's being in BCS being "incomprehensible". They're crystal-clear.

Shoehorned in as in he doesn't really belong on the show other than to give people something familiar.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Better Call Saul is a much better show than Breaking Bad, missteps or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just saw a tv spot for a new X Files season. I guess nobody cares this time around, as apparently it starts in a few days and this is the first I’ve heard if it.

Decided to stop watching the last one after the Kumail/Rhys Darby episode, because it was such perfection it seemed pointless continuing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is very true.

But, yeah, I also agree with the people who think that the more it references Breaking Bad the more it suffers, especially because those references aren't really pushing our understanding of the Breaking Bad characters forward.

The only person from the original show that I feel I've gained any more of an understanding of is Jimmy, and that's pretty bad for a character driven drama.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Vegetable posted:

I don't see how one needs to watch Breaking Bad to understand what Gus or Mike are doing. Their stories function perfectly on their own. Can you point to a specific event or behavior that wouldn't make sense without knowing Breaking Bad?

The tonal focus of the show is bizarre and confusing in S3 if you haven't seen Breaking Bad, especially the extended Gus introductions (any of them, since there were multiple, from Don't to the highway scene to the fast food intro), especially especially the fast food tracking shot introduction of Gus. If you don't know who Gus is or why he's important to the larger mythos of Breaking Bad it's this weird overfocus on this random, sorta intimidating and compelling (because Giancarlo Esposito is an incredible actor regardless) dude, but if you do know who he is, his relationship to Mike, and the genuine level of malice and violence he brings it brings this whole other textural level to his scenes where you're essentially watching a pot about to boil over and you're just waiting for it to pop. You get none of that sense if you haven't seen BB.

I just think it's super weird that TVIV is doing it's, quite frankly sorta childish and annoying intentional contrarian "You don't need to see X and just skip to Y" thing with Whatever Show They Don't Like where every single tv show needs a GameFAQs guide to speedrun through it to get to "the good parts". Especially in the case of Breaking Bad, an entire loving television program, which BCS serves as a prequel to, which is not only, like, a good tv show but objectively speaking one of the best tv shows ever made. Not to mention, again, as I aforementioned, how they're incredibly similar shows from tone to presentation to perspective to characterization, not to mention the latter being a literal prequel to the former. They're incredibly similar shows, and watch Breaking Bad first, the way the shows were designed to be consumed. If you don't like Breaking Bad, you probably won't like Better Call Saul and you'll definitely get way less out of it because it's literally designed as a prequel to Breaking Bad, never mind the, again, extreme similarities between the two programs on every level. How is this a difficult concept to grasp.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

They're incredibly similar shows, and watch Breaking Bad first, the way the shows were designed to be consumed. If you don't like Breaking Bad, you probably won't like Better Call Saul and you'll definitely get way less out of it because it's literally designed as a prequel to Breaking Bad, never mind the, again, extreme similarities between the two programs on every level. How is this a difficult concept to grasp.

I think, for me, you definitely should watch Breaking Bad first, as the show will be much richer for it in every way.

However... do you HAVE to? No. As the weakest parts of the show without the Breaking Bad knowledge are the weakest parts with it too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

PriorMarcus posted:

I think, for me, you definitely should watch Breaking Bad first, as the show will be much richer for it in every way.

However... do you HAVE to? No. As the weakest parts of the show without the Breaking Bad knowledge are the weakest parts with it too.

The Gus fast food intro and the Mike solo in S1 are among the best parts of the show, and they are absolutely enriched by knowing who the characters are. There's also a ton of just textural, blink-and-you-miss-it stuff like the first time Jimmy calls himself Saul Goodman or the evolving relationship between him and Francesca, which you can't point to specifically, but it's all among the best stuff the show has produced. There are times when the show leans a bit too heavy on the BB references but calling Mike, one of the show's two leads, a "shoehorned in" member of the show when he, again, was the star of its first season's best episode is absurd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just saw a tv spot for a new X Files season. I guess nobody cares this time around, as apparently it starts in a few days and this is the first I’ve heard if it.

It starts on January 3rd.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh, must’ve misheard the commercial. Still, haven’t seen anyone mention it at all this time around. Obviously not as big a deal as before, but I wonder if it’ll do much in the ratings if it’s against anything vaguely popular.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

When I say Mike is shoehorned into the show I hope that doesn't come across as saying the show is in any way bad. I don't know if I'd go this far, but that's only really because BCS isn't done. Season for season BCS is probably better, but man that plane season dragged on BrBa.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking about tv shows which were adapted into movies I like recently; I think my favourite one is The Fugitive with Harrison Ford. There were a lot of big movies in the 90s that were adapting tv shows from the 60s. What's the best feature film adaptation of a tv series?

I also learned recently that some production company's got a Charlie's Angels movie reboot scheduled to show up in a couple of years. If they reused the cast of the 2016 version of Ghostbusters that would be ideal. Wasn't there a tv reboot of Charlie's Angels a few years ago, and wasn't it really, really bad?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the best feature film adaptation of a tv series?

21 Jump Street

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

21 Jump Street

:same:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

When I say Mike is shoehorned into the show I hope that doesn't come across as saying the show is in any way bad. I don't know if I'd go this far, but that's only really because BCS isn't done. Season for season BCS is probably better, but man that plane season dragged on BrBa.

I'm watching it right now, and it really doesn't. Like, I guess if you're hung up on finding out what the black and white flashforward stuff is, yeah you're gonna be waiting till the end of the season. But it's got tons of poo poo happening. we find out hank acts macho because he's actually insecure. Gretchen finds out Walt has been lying to Skylar and cuts off the money (well, the alibi). The ATM crackhead incident happens. Tortuga happens. Saul goodman gets introduced.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

There are times when the show leans a bit too heavy on the BB references but calling Mike, one of the show's two leads, a "shoehorned in" member of the show when he, again, was the star of its first season's best episode is absurd.

Well that wasn't me. What I will say though is that Better Call Saul, to experienced TV watchers, is definitely enriched by all the callbacks and allusions. However, to 90% of the television audience they don't notice them. My mum for example watched all of Breaking Bad and then went immediately into the three seasons of Better Call Saul and had to be reminded of who Gus was when he showed up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lol if you don't think Kim Wexler is one of Better Call Saul's "two leads".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

loving what

You mean the season whose most action packed episode is in a loving courtroom?

Also how is the Mike/Gus stuff even remotely incomprehensible? Everything about their actions is explained entirely within the context of the show. You're right about the stylistic stuff, but how is that relevant to what we're discussing? I didn't say they were dissimilar shows in terms of direction.

If you don't like Breaking Bad, you probably won't like Better Call Saul

And here's a fun one for you, I didn't really like Breaking Bad that much, but I adore BCS.

For the record, I am generally against skipping anything, ever. I just genuinely think the two shows stand apart in the ways that actually matter, despite their overt connections. They're fundamentally about two incredibly different characters.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 26, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was thinking about tv shows which were adapted into movies I like recently; I think my favourite one is The Fugitive with Harrison Ford. There were a lot of big movies in the 90s that were adapting tv shows from the 60s. What's the best feature film adaptation of a tv series?

I hate picking one "best" but here's some of the best: The Addams Family, The Man from UNCLE, Dragnet, Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Mask of the Phantasm, The Naked Gun, Star Trek II, Batman '66.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

I like Mike in BCS, and barely remember Breaking Bad, which never grabbed me. I want them to tie those plots together a little better, but I'm okay waiting to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dat Godless finale tho

• Locked thread