Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

MHA Presented us with the cutest character of the year. :3:

Voiced by Tomokazu Seki, to booth! :kimchi:
How does Tsuyu reflect back on that unpaid internship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

How does Tsuyu reflect back on that unpaid internship?
For Froppy, it's all "Well, a thing happened". (Disregard Rock boy and Tape boy's goofy faces, the video is bookmarked to start with Tsuyu's account of her internship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG-EEFHOuHM&t=28s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
too bad his ep is one of the weakest

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

too bad his ep is one of the weakest
Still cute, tho'.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I can't see myself choosing anything but March comes in like a Lion and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju for top two.

There has been so many good series this year though! Little Witch Academia, Made in Abyss, ACCA, MHA season 2, Kemono Friends, Girls Last Tour, and Ballroom are all top-5 contenders for me.

I haven't had time to watch more than an episode each of Guru Guru, MMO junkie, and Princess Principal but even based on that glance they all look good enough that I want to finish them eventually.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wanted to like MarchLion, but I'm not ready for a feels train. It's like the biggest goddamn feels train, isn't it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

I wanted to like MarchLion, but I'm not ready for a feels train. It's like the biggest goddamn feels train, isn't it?
Besides Made in Abyss and Magus Bride, yeah.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, Animegatari just riffing off of Love Live the last two episodes. I was half-positive the montage last week was copying love live's montage music, but the opening recap this week solidified it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wark Say posted:

I might describe my mood during a given episode as feeling a lot of emotions, I suppose.

It absolutely touches on some pretty heavy subjects and S2 in particular is knee deep in an absolute swamp of a plotline that is sure to leave viewers with a combination of grief and fury. But that said it does know how to pace itself on this matters and Chica Umino knows how to weave comedic moments in and out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

It's not a train, it's a roller-coaster.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Wark Say posted:

There's certainly sadness and strife, but also a lot of hope and recovery and personal growth. And a surprisingly high amount of comedy!

It also helps that it's drat gorgeous and charmingly well voice-acted (as expected from SHAFT and the VA cast, but I'm still impressed).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That wasn't the "Surprise" I was expecting... but it's not bad.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i cried watching March Lion but I also cried watching My Hero Academia so that's not really helpful

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

poo poo, I'll award ACCA my personal prize right now for 'Most Unfairly Blinded to What I'm Sure are the Numerous Positive Qualities Through No Fault of its Own.'

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Demi-Chan wa Kataritai was this year too, if anyone needed any more options.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mirage posted:

That's definitely my favorite of the year.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If MMO Junkie sticks the landing with the ending it'll probably be my AOTY. It's not a big or ambitious story but everything it does it does very well.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gmq posted:

If MMO Junkie sticks the landing with the ending it'll probably be my AOTY. It's not a big or ambitious story but everything it does it does very well.

It's cool how the show shows how people use MMOs to make up for things going wrong in their offline life, and how they help but don't really fix the problem. I'm not sure if it's really going to go all the way on this theme though and I'm kinda getting bored.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's not a train, it's a roller-coaster.
Yeah, then it goes to the backburner.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the second cour of March did a lot to cool me on the show. Like it was still really really good, but not the straight fire the first dozen eps were.

Probably still the best anime since Honey & Clover.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first season of March Lion is about getting to know Rei, especially at his lowest point(s), only to have him slowly built back up piece by piece by a lot of folks but obviously mostly the Kawamoto family. And now they in turn are in desperate need of his strength, which makes his character growth all the more meaningful when he (hopefully) is able to come through for them in whatever ways he can. It's such a simple way to progress the story but it works so well and provides an emotional catharsis that I can't say I've seen in many other works.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I think kater is talking about the arc centered on Shimada, which had more shogi and less of the Kawamotos.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oooh, OK. I mean yeah I can see that being a bit of a weird shift all told. March Lion has always liked giving its ancillary characters their own solid arcs and I think it does a good job of developing that world.

Regardless I would not sit on S2 if you were holding off on it from how S1 ended, at the very least.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah guess that is confusing, I think this new season has been pretty great.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mirage posted:

I somehow forgot about that! Man, what a great show. I discovered that show at an extremely appropros time. I was going through a rough patch, adjusting to the fact that I am and will likely remain disabled for the rest of my life.

The show' s handling of those issues (and it's basic cuteness!) were sorely appreciated.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
oh my gosh Dynamic Chord is anime of the year

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/11/27/dynamic-chord-this-is-how-anime-breaks/

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/what-is-space.mp4

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Am I going to like Fate Extra better than Apocrypha?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I've yet to find anything this year that is as special and clearly best as Rakugo was in 2016 (Disclaimer: I've not yet watched Rakugo S2, but I plan to do so before the AOTY2017 polls go up).

Uchouten Kazoku is probably at the top of the pile for now, but it sits alongside a number of decent 8-9's like ACCA, Abyss, Sukasuka and Demi-chan, none of which really had the same degree of emotional breadth. At present, I would put Houseki no Kuni in the same basic pile, but that could change in either direction. If Imosae manages to stick the landing, it could be a thing of greatness, too, but I've got my doubts that it will.

For some reason, I haven't been watching GLT, so I'll consider pushing through that before the turn of the season, as well.

Gamers, Guruguru and Ren'ai Boukun consistently made me laugh (As did Tsurezure Children, but I discriminate against Shorts), so they may feature in my plans, as well.

Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism was a great ride with amusing dialogue, interesting characters, fun superpowers, etc, as well. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it into my top 5, but it might be the show that I had the most "fun" with during the year, overall.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Eela6 posted:

I somehow forgot about that! Man, what a great show. I discovered that show at an extremely appropros time. I was going through a rough patch, adjusting to the fact that I am and will likely remain disabled for the rest of my life.

The show' s handling of those issues (and it's basic cuteness!) were sorely appreciated.

Don't worry friend, no matter what they tell you, liking anime your entire life is not a disability.

Seriously though, if you need to talk about those issues, I have experience with it and would be happy to lend an ear.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Grouchio posted:

Am I going to like Fate Extra better than Apocrypha?

Extra is better than Apocrypha, yeah. And as a bonus, you won't even have to go through the grind of the actual game!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Which Fate has the cute boy who dresses like a girl?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
extra is just going to be an adaptation of a game with a better untranslated sequel without any of the gay stuff. of all routes to go with they're just going with boy hakuno and red saber

Wark Say posted:

Which Fate has the cute boy who dresses like a girl?

astolfo is in apocrypha, unfortunately apocrypha is just kind of boring

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

an actual dog posted:

It's cool how the show shows how people use MMOs to make up for things going wrong in their offline life, and how they help but don't really fix the problem. I'm not sure if it's really going to go all the way on this theme though and I'm kinda getting bored.

Yeah I'm feeling like I'm in the same boat at this point. I'd be surprised if it went there at this point.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
boo

booooooo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i just looked it up, and apparently there are four (!) sequels to extra. dang.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just looked it up, and apparently there are four (!) sequels to extra. dang.

i think there's only ccc and extella. extella is a weird musou game with a scrapped together nasu plot, and extra ccc is a game that i've heard positive stuff about but it's never been translated

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sindai posted:

boo

booooooo

But if it's not a boy how can a male audience relate?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

There Bias Two posted:

Don't worry friend, no matter what they tell you, liking anime your entire life is not a disability.

Seriously though, if you need to talk about those issues, I have experience with it and would be happy to lend an ear.
Thanks dude. I'm doing OK but it's always good to know support is there.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I've finally started playing f/sn, and I like it, but I always get annoyed when I put several hours into a game only for it to turn out to just be the prologue, with "new game/load/extra" some time thereafter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

extra is just going to be an adaptation of a game with a better-untranslated sequel without any of the gay stuff. of all routes to go with, they're just going with boy Hakuno and red saber

Astolfo is in Apocrypha, unfortunately, Apocrypha is just kind of boring
Eh, boring brouhaha comes with the territory of having to endure things written, supervised or influenced by Nasu Kinoko. It makes you appreciate the crazy/badass all the more.

Apropos of that, HAPPY BIRTHDAY NASU KINOKO!

• Locked thread