Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

OhFunny posted:

So kinda cross posting from the W3 thread, but Blizzards wants to crackdown on the cheaters in multiplayer before moving forward with a D2 remaster.
Do they really when they moved the warden guy off of it years ago, haven't patched exploits reported to them, and have done nothing at all to stop the spam bots who can't even stay connected to a game for 20s without dropping because they don't respond to a simple challenge? The quality of warden on their newer titles has been subpar compared to the old d2 guy's work for years, too. Warden went from being somewhat actively updated and reasonably implemented to a total farce around the time d3 came out.

They could have a nearly cheat free ladder by hiring a single skilled dude, ensuring there is adequate logging after a new reset, and then fixing the exploits that the companies use.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
This is totally :tinfoilhat: but I bet 20 bucks someone on the inside gets kickbacks secretly working with d2 item sellers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FalloutGod posted:

This is totally :tinfoilhat: but I bet 20 bucks someone on the inside gets kickbacks secretly working with d2 item sellers.

The assumption years ago was that most of the people making bank selling runes were devs

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I played the Diablo 1 demo to death back in the day and never played the full game of D1 or D2 as I was university when D2 came out. Played a lot of Diablo style games in the mean time though. So I'm going back and doing a single player run of D2 as a Paladin.

Everything seems so familiar between the game mechanics and that late DOS style of graphics. The only things that I've struggled with is the save system, what a poo poo.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well it's been about a year, time to come back and crack out on D2 for a few weeks. Anybody playing on West?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've never beaten the game on HC even on normal, let alone Hell. What's the easiest and safest class without gear? Skelemancer?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

feelix posted:

I've never beaten the game on HC even on normal, let alone Hell. What's the easiest and safest class without gear? Skelemancer?

Probably. If you plan on playing longer term the skelemancer isn't great at finding gear for your other characters. I usually suggest making a blizzard sorceress first.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

feelix posted:

Probably pure trap assassin.

Wake of fire basically trivializes everything in normal difficulty once you get it, then you can do the same throughout nightmare by switching to lightning sentry. Gearing is pretty simple since you can get dual +2 and then later +3 to traps claws from the vendors. Also the fade aura keeps your resistances pretty much maxed with even crappy gear and the shadow makes a good tank as well.

Once you hit hell lightning immunity mobs will probably kick your rear end, but that's pretty common for all single elemental builds.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Pocket Billiards posted:

never played the full game of D1 or D2 as I was university when D2 came out.

I don't understand

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
lovely PC and no spare time. All my limited gaming time went to Master of Orion, Civ II and SNES roms.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I imagine d2 would have been more fun had I had a reasonable computer to run it. I played diablo 2 in the minimum graphics settings for everything, windowed 400x600 or whatever the smallest resolution was, on dialup and later the cheapest DSL you could get. Games would be a slideshow, I'd spend half a baal run just loading into/exiting a game, etc.

I still put in 1000s of hours though, it was a civic duty.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I reinstalled D2 yesterday after years of not playing (and playing D3 instead). It didn't age terribly but the resolution is really bad and therefore my mouse scrolling is hyper sensitive. Do a lot of folks still play this? I just fired up single player so I could use the players x command. I never really traded too often before anyway and last time I tried it was a ton of bots spamming chat.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Playing alone on Battle.net is essentially the same as single player, but you lose access to players x and are at the mercy of network issues. You can create a new game with a password to keep strangers and bots out or set a level restriction that will keep most bots out of your game since they tend to use level one characters.

Eve when you're alone, your time in normal is typically spent leveling up in Tristram runs until level 15, tomb runs until level 20 in act two, and then cow runs until level 25. You'll try to claw your way through to act five and fight the Ancients so you can do Baal runs until level 50 or so and push through nightmare and then hell difficulty as you can.

There are also plenty of public games where people are trying to get through the game. You can join at any point in acts one and four and complete them, but acts two, three, and five have progression requirements before getting to the next act or difficulty level. Just look for a game called something like "act 2 staff" or "ancients" or start one yourself with the act name and quest. Some games might rush you through the difficulty level you're on, but I don't recommend games where the rusher requests your Hellforge drop, especially in nightmare or hell where you can get valuable mid runes or Mal, Ist, or Gul.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Grinding on normal? Has that ever been a thing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Star Man posted:

Playing alone on Battle.net is essentially the same as single player, but you lose access to players x and are at the mercy of network issues. You can create a new game with a password to keep strangers and bots out or set a level restriction that will keep most bots out of your game since they tend to use level one characters.

Sounds like I'm really missing out. :v: It's been awhile so I'll probably go through it all on my own instead of getting rushed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

THE BAR posted:

Grinding on normal? Has that ever been a thing?

When you're alone by choice or by circumstance, it is. Not everyone can have a friend grush them to Chaos Baal runs in hell.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Star Man posted:

When you're alone by choice or by circumstance, it is. Not everyone can have a friend grush them to Chaos Baal runs in hell.

I think they're saying that on normal you'd level up to 25 just by playing the game. You don't need to spend an hour doing Trist runs to 15 because you need to play the game to kill Andy to get to act 2 anyways. And you'd get to 20 just by going through act 2 so you don't need to do tomb runs. There is an advantage to doing norm baal runs for a bit since I think theres a bit of a dropoff in terms of gear you get between act1 nm and act5 norm and that act1 nm might be harder. I think you get -res all penalties in nm and hell? -40 and -75 I think?

Playing online even with random strangers will be more fun, easier, and quicker but you'll be at the mercy of sharing loot, though some might not give a poo poo about low level equipment and will be willing to share at the same time. I'd always dump off my sigons set after I was done with it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I definitely don't look back fondly at playing online and trying to click the fastest on Baal runs. It was always funny watching ranged characters get close to him when he had a sliver of life left and then they'd die just before he did. :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Good Dog posted:

I think they're saying that on normal you'd level up to 25 just by playing the game. You don't need to spend an hour doing Trist runs to 15 because you need to play the game to kill Andy to get to act 2 anyways. And you'd get to 20 just by going through act 2 so you don't need to do tomb runs. There is an advantage to doing norm baal runs for a bit since I think theres a bit of a dropoff in terms of gear you get between act1 nm and act5 norm and that act1 nm might be harder. I think you get -res all penalties in nm and hell? -40 and -75 I think?

Playing online even with random strangers will be more fun, easier, and quicker but you'll be at the mercy of sharing loot, though some might not give a poo poo about low level equipment and will be willing to share at the same time. I'd always dump off my sigons set after I was done with it.

Yeah, exactly. Normal is perfectly playable just by going through the quests and acts normally, on your own. Although you're going to want to grind Baal until you reach at least level 40 before trying Nightmare.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

While there's activity in this thread I'd just like to say that the first time I ever played this game about 11 years ago my friends convinced me to make my first character an FoHer. I don't know why I kept playing this game or being friends with them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Good Dog posted:

hell i got tossed a non-eth titans and some other gear by some random guy. I think he just wanted someone to help him mule.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Anyone still playing this game on USEAST ladder? I have a horribly undergeared 73 sorc that can barely do nm cows. I was hoping for someone to kill hell ancients for me so that I can finally do some Baal runs.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Hutzpah posted:

Anyone still playing this game on USEAST ladder? I have a horribly undergeared 73 sorc that can barely do nm cows. I was hoping for someone to kill hell ancients for me so that I can finally do some Baal runs.

What build are you? Do you have any extra gear on hand? Hell ancients is absolute balls to solo as an elemental caster, the immunes gently caress you over hardcore. You might be able to cheese out a mercenary with the good low/mid runewords and a unique or two to kill 1/3 of the ancients, but you need to clear the other two fast or your merc will die. If I had to solo level a sorc in vanilla diablo 2, I would go orb/hydra. Drop hydras first, then spam orb until you need to recast hydras. Single element is so much smoother to play, but when you hit immunes you just have shrug and go do something else. Meteorb is viable as well, but orb/hydra works better when you aren't 85+ and don't have good gear. It is a pain, but you should be able to run hell andy/hell meph maybe for uniques, and countess/kuraast bazaar big chests for mid/low high runes. If you need socketed bases run ancient tunnels in act 2, or I think it's The Hole in act 1, they have very high alvl so drop good base items.

Someone earlier mentioned assassin as the easiest solo HC char, and I agree. Fade is a huuuuge crutch when you have bad items, you get elemental resist all AND physical damage reduction %. Shadow master is another big crutch as well, it can be slow but will tank and eventually kill small packs of immunes that your traps can't touch. Again, a cheesed out merc in tandem with the shadow master will clear a surprising amount of content. A distant second for HC solo is hybrid summon/ele druid. Dire wolves synergized for big HP and damage can tank up to act 5 hell and clear non phys immunes, you run a decent hurricane with the leftover points but have to skip cylone armor/hurrican duration synergy so you can afford good wolfs. Spirit of wolverine + fanat merc with cheesed gear.

Will remove if this is :files: but there's a private server on reddit, Diablo Resurgence, that patches in new items and is changing the crafting system. They try to remain true to the spirit of vanilla d2 while overhauling quality of life and class balance. There are several new skills for most classes, and synergies/base skills have been rebalanced heavily. To me, it feels like a Blizzard Diablo II that keeps getting patched with new end-game content and balance fixes. I have been playing there the last few years when my D2 itch strikes, and heartily recommend. If this doesn't get deleted, feel free to ask about any of the changes they have made.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 16, 2018

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Anyone have a list of good builds I can access, I found this for Amazons.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oops

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 25, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

This 4/1 joke tricked me for a few seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPPG3WtY8kQ

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
did they ever add more runewords after 1.11?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

gradenko_2000 posted:

did they ever add more runewords after 1.11?

No.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So Blizzard dropped 1.14D with sparse information for patch notes not too long ago. Sounds like the real meat of the patch was improvements to their bot and hack detection that resulted in a mass ban-wave shortly after the patch dropped. The downside I’m noticing is that the game feels VERY laggy now. I constantly experience heavy rubber banding and lag teleports. This is all despite living in a metro area and owning the fastest internet tier that is offered by my cable service. I’m wondering if Blizzard divested in Diablo 2 BNet resources just that much, or if maybe their new security detection methods aren’t well optimized with the old net code? Curious if others here are experiencing lag issues as well. I’d like to keep playing and reroll when the upcoming ladder reset happens, but these dramatic lag spikes are really putting me off (and make playing hardcore an impossibility.)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Siets posted:

I’m wondering if Blizzard divested in Diablo 2 BNet resources just that much, or if maybe their new security detection methods aren’t well optimized with the old net code? Curious if others here are experiencing lag issues as well.

I've been on USEast recently and haven't noticed any lag really.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Siets posted:

So Blizzard dropped 1.14D with sparse information for patch notes not too long ago. Sounds like the real meat of the patch was improvements to their bot and hack detection that resulted in a mass ban-wave shortly after the patch dropped. The downside I’m noticing is that the game feels VERY laggy now. I constantly experience heavy rubber banding and lag teleports. This is all despite living in a metro area and owning the fastest internet tier that is offered by my cable service. I’m wondering if Blizzard divested in Diablo 2 BNet resources just that much, or if maybe their new security detection methods aren’t well optimized with the old net code? Curious if others here are experiencing lag issues as well. I’d like to keep playing and reroll when the upcoming ladder reset happens, but these dramatic lag spikes are really putting me off (and make playing hardcore an impossibility.)
If people are using certain exploits the game server they are on will lag. In all games.

It's real common to lag the server hardcore using exploits to dupe.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
So whats Blizzard's end game here with Diablo 2? The only reason I could see them fixing wardens code for an 18 year old game is to get it ready for an HD remake. Whats the point of getting rid of botters at this stage? I know they have gently caress you money but it still seems silly to use resources for it just out of the kindness of their hearts.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Man, Blizzard has changed so much.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

FalloutGod posted:

So whats Blizzard's end game here with Diablo 2? The only reason I could see them fixing wardens code for an 18 year old game is to get it ready for an HD remake. Whats the point of getting rid of botters at this stage? I know they have gently caress you money but it still seems silly to use resources for it just out of the kindness of their hearts.

Looking at the Starcraft HD remake, I'd love to see D2 rendered in flashy new sprites. The gameplay and loot treadmill are one of my all time favorites. If they release a similar HD update I'd be very happy.

Which will be first, D2 or WC3 HD? Looking forward to both.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Hopefully they add some new endgame to it if they do remake it. The gameplay is still probably the best in the genre but it could use some refinement when it comes to longevity.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

moush posted:

Hopefully they add some new endgame to it if they do remake it. The gameplay is still probably the best in the genre but it could use some refinement when it comes to longevity.
They have to fix something, because you can't even level efficiently on official bnet without multiple cdkeys. You will literally eat ip bans if you do baal or chaos runs efficiently for doing too many games in too short of a timespan.

This was a half-assed stopgap to stop pindle botting and item seller spam that didn't even work because you can also stop this from happening with third party tools that don't involve cdkey or ip changes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

One of the hurdles to making D2X in HD is that monsters/bosses would be visible on the far right/left of the screen in 16x9. Kind of just marching in place. Some might not mind that but it's something the creators have said they'd need to change if they do go through with it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So when I look up the drop chance of Harlequin on Silospen and it says that Hell Andarial has a 1:1300 chance to drop it with my ~300% MF, does that really mean I need to do the run 1300 times before I realistically see the item drop? Or is there some game mechanic’y thing that comes into play here like “she drops 4-5 items each time so each kill counts as 5 rolls” or something like that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siets posted:

So when I look up the drop chance of Harlequin on Silospen and it says that Hell Andarial has a 1:1300 chance to drop it with my ~300% MF, does that really mean I need to do the run 1300 times before I realistically see the item drop? Or is there some game mechanic’y thing that comes into play here like “she drops 4-5 items each time so each kill counts as 5 rolls” or something like that?

If you flip a coin a thousand times and every time it landed on tails, then what are the odds that you'll get heads on the next flip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Siets posted:

Magic Find changes the rate at which a base item will roll as magic, rare, set, or unique. There is a certain % chance that Andariel will drop the base item helm of "Shako" and then the game will roll a % chance that that Shako will be magic, rare, set or unique. If before there was a 10% chance that the shako dropped was going to be blue/magic, having 100% MF will double that chance to 20%. Magic Find has diminishing returns for rare/set/unique items as well: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Magic_find_diminishing_returns

I would expect to find a shako alot faster than 1300 runs, FWIW. Its one of the best helms in the game for any class but isn't as hard to get as other items, and it has the added benefit of the only mod on it that isn't set in stone is the base defense of the helm itself.