Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

That's also the same reason why very low altitude flights are more exciting than very high altitude flights.

:wrong:

https://theaviationist.com/2015/03/17/sr-71-mid-air-disintegration/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Well that's not something you can bring up in every episode. It's more of a "season finale" kind of things.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, the whole exhibit is pretty amazing. All plants and resin and model railroads.

(my wife took these photos)

It's like Poison Ivy took up a new hobby

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

It's kinda brilliant and I don't know why I hate it so goddamn much

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jonny Nox posted:

Looks like Westjet has signed a capacity purchase agreement with Pacific Coastal to fly regionals out of YYC. Sounds like about 11 return flights a day.

Anyways the part that matters is Saab340 in Westjet colors.

Also because:

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/take-command-saab-340a-p-100

I heard this news yesterday as well. Looks like 3 flights a day for YQL. Being a small airport servicing well over 100K people, it's about time and very welcome news. Air Canada has been absolutely abysmal with their service, somehow managing to get worse and worse every year. I was hoping Westjet would do this with the Q400, but we'll take it. Pretty much nobody flies out of here anymore and either drive the 2 hours north to YYC or the 2 hours south to GTF or FGA. The parking costs alone for a vehicle for over a week at YYC will pretty much pay for the flight or actually be cheaper of it's only 1 person.

MrChips posted:

This is a real poke in the eye to the Encore guys again, they've been hosed seven ways to Sunday by the company of late.

Also, considering how desperate PASCO has been for new hires, I don't see how they're going to be able to pull this rabbit out of their hat.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Sausages posted:

Well what about this:

:v:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sausages posted:

The vibe I get from it is someone decided to "stealthify" a mid-century fighter. For some it's a good look. To me it's almost in an uncanny valley between an obviously real plane and an obviously fake one.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Low-observability crashing into barns, the next frontier of stealth.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Those British soldiers never knew what hit them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

I feel guilty about how much that made me laugh.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

StandardVC10 posted:

Brb, off to buy some farm land in West Germany.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ola posted:

Those British soldiers never knew what hit them.

What's this? I heard someone needed air support against the British?

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Taliban? :v:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Duke Chin posted:

Who turned the shotgun sideways?

That plane seriously only looks good going and even that's not enough to save it

I think the fact that it took until the F-15 for anyone to build a jet capable of outclimbing it means it didn’t need help, captain saveaplane.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

drgitlin posted:

I think the fact that it took until the F-15 for anyone to build a jet capable of outclimbing it means it didn’t need help, captain saveaplane.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Legit post/av/username right here

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Yes but that one is cheating.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

MrChips posted:

This is a real poke in the eye to the Encore guys again, they've been hosed seven ways to Sunday by the company of late.

Also, considering how desperate PASCO has been for new hires, I don't see how they're going to be able to pull this rabbit out of their hat.

I'm not really surprised, I've only heard horror stories about working for PASCO, with junior pilots finally making the leap to a real carrier only to find themselves scheduled for one day a week.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

fake e.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 26, 2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

PASCO is, as mentioned above, not a good employer, for a lot of reasons I really don't want to get into on a publicly available forum.

The big thing here is that this is a move by Westjet and Encore (which is in every legal definition a separate company from Westjet) to counter both companies unionising. The same can be said for Westjet's impending ultra-low cost carrier, Swoop. From a pilot's perspective, this is a bad thing because it's going to be used as an excuse to keep wages low for as long as the company is able to hold out, and it also further muddies the upgrade path, especially for Encore pilots, who have now basically had one of their key promises (the upgrade path from Encore to mainline Westjet) made to them in the hiring process completely broken.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks for this excellent phone wallpaper.

In other pilot news, I was reminded today of the agreement Canadian pilots made 5 years ago that changed the retirement age from 60, and allowed them to continue flying until age 65.
Gonna be a lot of vacancies for pilots soon.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

"Issat a man?"

"You drat right it is!" :clint:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

PASCO is, as mentioned above, not a good employer, for a lot of reasons I really don't want to get into on a publicly available forum.

The big thing here is that this is a move by Westjet and Encore (which is in every legal definition a separate company from Westjet) to counter both companies unionising. The same can be said for Westjet's impending ultra-low cost carrier, Swoop. From a pilot's perspective, this is a bad thing because it's going to be used as an excuse to keep wages low for as long as the company is able to hold out, and it also further muddies the upgrade path, especially for Encore pilots, who have now basically had one of their key promises (the upgrade path from Encore to mainline Westjet) made to them in the hiring process completely broken.

Isn't this sort pointless, though? People who talk about the retail collapse note that people are spending their money elsewhere, like on travel. If you assume that continues, wouldn't wages have to climb anyway?

e: but management is all "Well if that *doesn't* happen, smartass, we still have all the power?"

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 27, 2017

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't this sort pointless, though? People who talk about the retail collapse note that people are spending their money elsewhere, like on travel. If you assume that continues, wouldn't wages have to climb anyway?

e: but management is all "Well if that *doesn't* happen, smartass, we still have all the power?"

Unlike in the US, where it seems employers are starting to respond to their pilot shortages by actually starting to pay their pilots better, that has not happened here in Canada yet. We still have our heads stuck in the sand. In fact in a lot of ways it's still going backward, what with operations like Air Canada Rouge being on a completely separate (and not particularly favourable) contract from the rest of Air Canada.

It's going to come to a head sooner or later though - more and more employers are getting desperate for pilots, and to make it worse, enrollments in flight schools are down something like 25-30 percent from when I did my training a decade and a bit ago, so there aren't replacements being trained at the needed rate either.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

Unlike in the US, where it seems employers are starting to respond to their pilot shortages by actually starting to pay their pilots better, that has not happened here in Canada yet. We still have our heads stuck in the sand. In fact in a lot of ways it's still going backward, what with operations like Air Canada Rouge being on a completely separate (and not particularly favourable) contract from the rest of Air Canada.

It's going to come to a head sooner or later though - more and more employers are getting desperate for pilots, and to make it worse, enrollments in flight schools are down something like 25-30 percent from when I did my training a decade and a bit ago, so there aren't replacements being trained at the needed rate either.

It would not be the first time Canadian ogliopolists assumed they could control the price of something, only to have other people who could tolerate "the power of the market sometimes cuts both ways" to eat their lunch

That's when the whining to government starts, and the "why don't you issue pilots licenses that can only be used on Canadian airlines" etc

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

And anyone who's in it for the money is going take their twin otter experience to China and get a right seat on a 777 for a quarter million a year anyway.
I'm actually hearing that the mainline AC pilots are a bit bitter at the Rouge contract because of how it incentivizes actual flying. So the old way was if you were going to go over your duty day by 2 minutes, you'd walk and go back to the hotel and get another day of per diem, which could be sweet, but on Rouge you'll get 1.5x pay for your next leg and 2x for every subsequent leg. Which is even sweeter. Plus doing back and forth to the Carribean all day is much more lucrative than 15 hours to Asia with a cruise pilot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

It would not be the first time Canadian ogliopolists assumed they could control the price of something, only to have other people who could tolerate "the power of the market sometimes cuts both ways" to eat their lunch

That's when the whining to government starts, and the "why don't you issue pilots licenses that can only be used on Canadian airlines" etc

Man, gently caress that. Maintenance licenses are like that and it's the worst kind of protectionist poo poo. If you're an ICAO member country, your license should be valid in any other ICAO country. If the government wants to restrict people with licences issued on the back of a $100 bill issued by the Republic of Durkastan from working on airplanes with their registration mark, well guess who's working on them anyway when an airline flies to Durkastan.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Finger Prince posted:

Man, gently caress that. Maintenance licenses are like that and it's the worst kind of protectionist poo poo. If you're an ICAO member country, your license should be valid in any other ICAO country. If the government wants to restrict people with licences issued on the back of a $100 bill issued by the Republic of Durkastan from working on airplanes with their registration mark, well guess who's working on them anyway when an airline flies to Durkastan.

Word. I mean, it may sound silly to thread readers, but I've read of similarly ill-conceived schemes involving computer programmers. The CBC web site is not really all that good compared to its news reporting elsewhere, and I was spitting nails many years ago after I read an article that was more or less some repackaged balloon from an industry trade group about the problem of paying competitive wages for a certain sort of specialty in Computer science - Databases or something. Anyway, the article suggested, instead of oh I don't know pay competitive wages, why not make a *new* sort of CS degree in the Maritimes that was focused entirely on legacy database stuff and designed to make the programmer less competitive otherwise, and less mobile?

This could turn into a long cranky rant about Canadian business, and their general lack of will to be competitive because that'd take money and effort, and the government's sleazy desire to find new ways to reward them for their complacency, but I'll shut up now

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Word. I mean, it may sound silly to thread readers, but I've read of similarly ill-conceived schemes involving computer programmers. The CBC web site is not really all that good compared to its news reporting elsewhere, and I was spitting nails many years ago after I read an article that was more or less some repackaged balloon from an industry trade group about the problem of paying competitive wages for a certain sort of specialty in Computer science - Databases or something. Anyway, the article suggested, instead of oh I don't know pay competitive wages, why not make a *new* sort of CS degree in the Maritimes that was focused entirely on legacy database stuff and designed to make the programmer less competitive otherwise, and less mobile?

This could turn into a long cranky rant about Canadian business, and their general lack of will to be competitive because that'd take money and effort, and the government's sleazy desire to find new ways to reward them for their complacency, but I'll shut up now

Oh man I have had that rant. Especially since living abroad and then returning to Canada. And the completely Canadian attitude of just lying down and accepting it. Ah well what are you going to do? *pays $100/mo + long distance (long distance! What the gently caress even is long distance?!) for 2 gig mobile data plan*

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Safety Dance posted:

and TWA Flight 800.

:stare: drat, son.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Wait capitalists want to spend as little money on labor as possible and will try and offset externalities to the government whenever possible??? Surely you jest!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

here's some AI

melching 483rd bg photo by SDASM Archives, on Flickr

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

:stare: So that's what they mean when they say you could walk on it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also, WW2 American aircraft, dirty as gently caress.

Similarly, I had no idea America was messing about with drones in WW2:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, WW2 American aircraft, dirty as gently caress.

That's a good looking aircraft.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Really? They led to JFK becoming president.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Really? They led to JFK becoming president.

lol, fair comment

joat mon posted:

That's a good looking aircraft.

Drones in vintage marking would be rad, I think we can all agree. Other random aircraft photos:

Who are these people? Some sort of Scientology thing?

Swiss Tiger II:

I think it's slowly changing to its super sayen form:

Pakistani, um, native fighter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think it's slowly changing to its super sayen form:

Makes me think of the bosozoku.