Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That the robots want to be people is what proves they're people to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I kind of groaned when the main character introduced herself as “to be” and was worried it would be a ham-fisted story about AI sentience but I’m glad YT was smart enough to do better than that

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Raxivace posted:

That the robots want to be people is what proves they're people to begin with.
Nah. A toaster with delusions of grandeur will always be one, that's why they suffered so much, trying to be something they weren't.

Being people is something intrinsic to a creature, alas. Like glands. Even if you add glands later, staple them to you, you don't suddenly become a person.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I feel like that’s actually the point of Ending D, machines collectively choosing an existence only they can have and defining what living is without aping humanity

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Nah. A toaster with delusions of grandeur will always be one, that's why they suffered so much, trying to be something they weren't.

Being people is something intrinsic to a creature, alas. Like glands. Even if you add glands later, staple them to you, you don't suddenly become a person.

The 9S is coming from inside the thread!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

9S is the guy who's saying that. 2B's a bit more open minded.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Presumably the same applies to the androids? The idea that 2B and friends were just calculators with no chance at life and no significance of their own is like the exact opposite of the game's message.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Presumably the same applies to the androids? The idea that 2B and friends were just calculators with no chance at life and no significance of their own is like the exact opposite of the game's message.

Especially since

2B and 9S are basically just machines in different packaging.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
If robots are not people then explain their rich oral history, a staple of human civilization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1BdQcJ2ZYY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Especially since

2B and 9S are basically just machines in different packaging.

Caution this is a late game spoiler, if you havent gone through Route C, dont mouse it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Synthbuttrange posted:

9S is the guy who's saying that. 2B's a bit more open minded.

I think 2B is just more apathetic really

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Yoko Taro's interview with Game Informer:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'm replaying Nier before its inevitable game of the year discussions in various podcasts and I just wanted to say that it's neat that you can unequip all your chips and run about with no HUD or text log or damage information or mini map.

Edit: are there any weapons that are particularly noteworthy to use, I think I stuck to the default sword my entire way through the first playthrough

CrRoMa fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 26, 2017

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Go with double fist weapons and pummel some robots.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If you equip a spear in your main slot and a sword in the secondary, 2B will do a poledance area attack when you combo with them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

The root of their pain, the reason why they have humanity as their god, is that they are aware that they are lacking, limited compared to real people.

They are closer to humanity than the robots in important ways, but instead they continue to die and suffer because some cannot accept their own limitations.

Unreal_One posted:

The 9S is coming from inside the thread!
9S is an excellent example of how the internal contradiction of his non-humanity would drive someone 'insane', as they are somewhat sentient and sapient, yet lacking in humanity and a "soul". He knows he is disposable. He knows his purpose and how meaningless that is.

They are aware of their horribly inferiority compared to us; while they have the lie that they serve to further us they can be content but the moment they figure that falsehood out, everything turns to poo poo and they give them the only mercy they can, to end their pointless existence.

Meanwhile, the robots make the correct choice eventually of stop trying to be people, but instead move on and try to be something else. But some, like our flying buddy, fail to realize this. When they are finally faced with the truth and reality of their situation, they choose either to end their existence or to delete the realization from their storage units but never to actually deal with it, because that isn't an option such limited things could take.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna make a random post based on the upcoming GOTY discussions that won't have much to do with the game per se. (also holy poo poo you guys are still using spoiler tags is this even SA)

Anyway, I kinda feel Nier Automata is gonna suffer from the Undertale effect, as in people that liked this game REALLY liked it, but it was always a niche product a lot of people didn't care to push through at release because they'd rather play yet another open-world game, and then it just ends up crammed as a thing you need to finish because you wanna have an opinion even though you personally never wanted to play it. Thing is, you're never gonna enjoy a game you never wanted to play in the first place, and I'm already seeing a lot of semi-truths like "you do the same thing fifty times to see the ending" or "it's a horny game", which kinda upsets me as someone that really liked it. It's fine if you don't like it, but I think it's gonna be one of those games that gets passed over because people didn't really wanna engage it AT ALL.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Dias posted:

I wanna make a random post based on the upcoming GOTY discussions that won't have much to do with the game per se. (also holy poo poo you guys are still using spoiler tags is this even SA)

Anyway, I kinda feel Nier Automata is gonna suffer from the Undertale effect, as in people that liked this game REALLY liked it, but it was always a niche product a lot of people didn't care to push through at release because they'd rather play yet another open-world game, and then it just ends up crammed as a thing you need to finish because you wanna have an opinion even though you personally never wanted to play it. Thing is, you're never gonna enjoy a game you never wanted to play in the first place, and I'm already seeing a lot of semi-truths like "you do the same thing fifty times to see the ending" or "it's a horny game", which kinda upsets me as someone that really liked it. It's fine if you don't like it, but I think it's gonna be one of those games that gets passed over because people didn't really wanna engage it AT ALL.
That's a lot of assumptions crammed into a single post.

edit: It's a game that certainly defies some conventions and gives you plenty to think about, but it's got some serious gameplay flaws (at a minimum), which tends to influence people's opinions re: GOTY. In spite of that, Nier A will be all over GOTY lists. Not at #1, but it won't be overlooked (same outcome as Undertale...that certainly wasn't overlooked)

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 26, 2017

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

CrRoMa posted:

Edit: are there any weapons that are particularly noteworthy to use, I think I stuck to the default sword my entire way through the first playthrough

Up until you start getting level 4 upgrades, most weapons upgraded at the same level are basically interchangeably good. That said, among the pre-lv4 special attributes, Critical+ and ATK Speed Up are the most noticeably useful. (All Virtuous and Cruel weapons have ATK Speed Up, so it turns out staying with 2B's and 9S' default weapons is not a bad idea!)

There are a few interesting things happening with level 4 weapons though.

-Faith's Bullet Absorb gives you a significant heal you when you use it to destroy enemy projectiles. This doesn't sound like a big deal what with how many healing items you're likely to have at any given time, but if you have the DLC, you get into fights where you can't use items, so non-item healing can be really helpful then. Having that extra source of healing can also free up chip capacity!
-Other healing sources include all Phoenix weapons randomly giving some HP on hit (and they come with ATK Speed Up too), and Angel's Folly giving a guaranteed nice fat heal on enemy kill.
-Bullet Rupture on Ancient Overlord and Fang of the Twins causes enemy bullets to detonate in a decent AoE when you destroy them, damaging enemies and detonating other nearby bullets. It feels really good and gives you a leg up in the bullet hell segments.
-Spear of the Usurper's Turncoat attribute randomly causes struck enemies to ally with you as if they had been stealth-hacked and subverted. This is a big deal in the DLC but it's also always fun to see it happen.
-Devil's Hatred on Demon's Cry detonates enemies on kill and works wonders against tightly packed crowds.

That's about the most immediately spectacular stuff I can think of. Other level 4 attributes aren't necessarily bad but they tend to be either not quite so visibly useful, or have unfun/impractical trigger conditions (like Energy Charge on Type 4O weapons requiring you to not attack for several seconds before it activates, or Dark Impulse on Cruel weapons doing nothing special unless your HP is below 30%).

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 26, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey man at least your game of the year is going to get actual recognition and praise and be actually considered for awards by a somewhat mainstream-gaming audience.

One of these days, Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!

Grey Fox posted:

edit: It's a game that certainly defies some conventions and gives you plenty to think about, but it's got some serious gameplay flaws (at a minimum), which tends to influence people's opinions re: GOTY. In spite of that, Nier A will be all over GOTY lists. Not at #1, but it won't be overlooked (same outcome as Undertale...that certainly wasn't overlooked)

Well hey, it's got at least one GOTY so far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grey Fox posted:

I mean, that's what I said and also of course it's loving assumptions unless you think I'm the goddamn amalgamation of every single mind in games journalism for gently caress sake.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Nier Automata is both a flawed game with its share of rough edges and one that i love and enjoy very much in spite (and partially because) of it. It's neither a "perfect, best ever" game nor platinums bayonetta 3 (or even trying to be either of those) and people who were sold on those or similar expectations are inevitably going to be let down or put off. If the parts that make it special don't appeal to them that's unfortunate, and they're certainly not wrong pointing out the obvious shortcomings, but it doesn't diminish my enjoyment or opinion of the game.

I don't think Yoko Taro expected (relatively) universal praise either, as he's clearly not setting out to make games for everyone. He's setting out to make games like this, and for that, Nier Automata already sold beyond all expectations. Relax.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 26, 2017

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The relax thing is condescending as gently caress, I'm making an observation when it comes to how the game is gonna be recognized, I'm not foaming at the mouth or anything. It's kinda something that I'm already seeing from different media outlets.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

IDC if mysterious game journalists decided Nier:A is GOTY as long as I liked it v:v:v

Unless YT gives a speech at the awards ceremony about his workflow.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

NieR is really not the game you can leave in the middle and trying to get back to it over half a year later :(

I suffered that stupid (thx for not fixing it SQE :argh: ) 780 bug with no remedy working and now I forgot most of the gameplay details. Guess I need to spend another hour reading tutorials. NieR is something I really love to finish one way or another.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

haldolium posted:

NieR is really not the game you can leave in the middle and trying to get back to it over half a year later :(

I suffered that stupid (thx for not fixing it SQE :argh: ) 780 bug with no remedy working and now I forgot most of the gameplay details. Guess I need to spend another hour reading tutorials. NieR is something I really love to finish one way or another.

What were you doing, anyway? Kind of curious how middle your position was.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Playing as 9s kind of really sucks

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

He gets better.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought he was very OP. That Factory section is balls though.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Boss fights being just 8ish hacking mini games without doing literally anything else is terrible.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

CrRoMa posted:

I'm replaying Nier before its inevitable game of the year discussions in various podcasts and I just wanted to say that it's neat that you can unequip all your chips and run about with no HUD or text log or damage information or mini map.

Equip fists and a long sword, do a punch followed by a sword swing. Might have to press these in quick succession.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Alder posted:

IDC if mysterious game journalists decided Nier:A is GOTY as long as I liked it v:v:v
Pretty much - this is the game that had reviews at launch where the reviewer stopped playing after [A] because they bounced off it so hard. It generally got stellar reviews and sold tons, and people inevitably not "giving it recognition" for misinformed or highly subjective reasons is neither new, unique to this (or undertale) or matters. It's just a thing that happens to anything popular.

Alder posted:

Unless YT gives a speech at the awards ceremony about his workflow.
God, that would actually make me pay attention to a game award. "Hi, i'm Yoko taro and i made a game about sad robots with giant swords and rocket launchers where (among many many other things) you have a button to make your clothes blow up, and an achievement for looking up a skirt 10 times. Also you can drift through the desert on boars and spend hours fishing. People say it really makes you cry and think about the nature of humanity and are giving me awards for it for some reason."

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finally picked this up in Thanksgiving and it's incredible. The only part I haven't loved so far is Jackass's defeat these guys in 30 seconds without taking damage mission which seems impossible.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Unmature posted:

Finally picked this up in Thanksgiving and it's incredible. The only part I haven't loved so far is Jackass's defeat these guys in 30 seconds without taking damage mission which seems impossible.
Level up more and find more hover-bots to let you fist/bomb them.

Though I dunno about the bomb, I never found it and just heard it was good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Unmature posted:

Come back at a higher level. There's no sidequest worth struggling through to clear at a low level.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Am I locked out of any sidequests by going for any endings other than the final one?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

Am I locked out of any sidequests by going for any endings other than the final one?

no

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

loving lol at this late rear end title card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

loving lol at this late rear end title card

One of the greatest title cards in games.