Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

If you charge a unit with 18 flamers... that's 18d6 overwatch shots that always hit, right? That is hilarious.

Only if you charge from within range of the flamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Couldn't you also technically just walk/advance into melee instead of charging

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Couldn't you also technically just walk/advance into melee instead of charging

You can't move within an inch of an enemy unit unless you're charging them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Oh I didn't know that

I haven't had a situation where that rule would've applied

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Safety Factor posted:

I hope that's a sign they finally let Dark Angels use cataphractii and tartaros too.

What does your heart tell you?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
So in general I think 8th ed is a big win in game design - I do a reasonable amount of system design for LARP games, and the elegance and promise of the 8th ed rules on a read of the core rules and Index Xenos were what lured me back in to 40k after >10 years out. Things certainly aren’t perfect, but I think it’s easy to underestimate how good of a basic canvas 8th ed provides to build balance on top of, and recent codex releases are showing good signs that they have taken 6 months of data and are starting to “get it”. I also feel like I can look at the less well costed factions in the indexes and point to which emergent properties of how 8th ed plays out were what led to things being (mostly) overcosted. If they work at it, and they show all signs of intending to try, I hope that 8th can do great things.

They do seem to be falling into a laundry list of traps for a company trying to produce a balanced game in the internet age, though hopefully not badly enough to scupper the project. You have “wedded ourselves to a dodgy design principle” in the idea that you should be able to make a legal matched play army out of anything - how many of the really abusive lists go away if you remove the supreme command and triple Super Heavy detachment? You have “over responsive to internet bitching” - filling a smoking crater with Ynnarri and Commissars comes to mind. Finally, they do seem to be underestimating the speed at which the best possible uses of things in a book can be “solved” when the best players can share everything online.

On the other hand I think thee are some good signs. I don’t agree with the Ynnarri nerf, but I think the brutal culling of FW options in chapter approved is a good sign that they’re willing to act to bring a problem under control - I cannot tell you how annoying it was to jump back into the game, read the index and see how relatively well balanced things looked, and then play my first actual game at a club and have my opponent whip out some FW bullshit, and then discover online that pretty much everyone who had played competitively in 7th was using it. It may suck for people who’ve bought in to FW, but I think it displays a relatively good level of savvy to understand that the time when you have a surge of new interest in your game is not the time for all of your existing players to be armed with a less well scrutinised parallel rules system to dunk on new players. I firmly hope that they involve their core rules team in writing new FW rules so that the problem doesn’t arise again.

I did have what might be a cool idea (that I’m sure they’ll never do) - they have warhammer world, why not run community play test weekends? Sign up, turn up with as many models of one army as you can carry, sign an NDA, be told “right, here are some rules/points changes we’re trialling, play six games over the weekend, half with the worst nonsense you can come up with out of your army, half with armies we give you, write some good feedback, the people who provide the best feedback get priority booking next time”.

I would bite their arm off and even pay them money to get in on that, and once they’d done it a few times I think they’d have a good chance of having a core group of 30-40 play testers who they knew, trusted and could rely on to provide good feedback both at such events and possibly to consult on for proof reading codices etc. Sadly “no good channel for sending suggestions” is one of my current gripes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What does your heart tell you?
...-d3 victory points...

:negative:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I got to pull out my shiny red space bois to play my first game of 8th! And it was fun! I remember 5th edition being this 3-hour long ordeal, but we got through a 100 PL game in just under 1.5 hours. Beautiful.

I brought my 30k 1k Sons (being run as 40k 1k Sons), and they obliterated my friend's SM Primaris army. I think she managed to kill 5 rubric marines by the end of the match? She got salty af, but I enjoyed myself (lol). Oh, and apparently you can't put a Leviathan in a dreadclaw? It was an honest mistake but, if you feel like cheating, it's hilariously effective :agesilaus:

Standouts were

• my Deredeo deleting a unit of hellblasters in one volley, and then doing the same thing again when those idiots came back via some open play ruse
  • my rubric marines were essentially unkillable; they couldn't hurt much, but you have to shoot them with ap 3 guns before you see their saves get worse than 3+
  • the leviathan tore through a bigly dread, a captain, and a unit of intercessors without sustaining any wounds (did you know that the heavy flamers all the FW chaos units are armed with are actually called 'hellflamers' and do 2 damage rather than 1? My opponent did not.)

Full list was: Ahriman, Exalted Sorceror, 3x 5 man rubric squads with upgrades in the 3cp detachment, and then a normal sorcerer, a sicarin, a deredeo, and a leviathan in a dreadclaw (oops) in one of the 1CP detachments. Opponents list was a bunch of primaris marines, a bigly dread, and a hilariously useless vindicator (I think my icons of flame did more more wounds than this thing did).

8th is good, cheating is bad (but also good), and playing with a painted force is v good.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

dexefiend posted:

If you charge a unit with 18 flamers... that's 18d6 overwatch shots that always hit, right? That is hilarious.

The first time I did it was with triple flamers that homing beacon dropped into the middle of a bunch of guardsmen squads. His turn, they all walked up, shot point blank, and then charged. None left standing. He really should have backed to just outside 8".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
IM SO hosed

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress MY rear end

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Way back in 7th I was playing Chaos and my friend was playing Dark Eldar and he was doing warrior-on-raider spam and I had two five-man squads of infiltrating chosen with flamers

I managed to get the first turn and he ceded the game after my shooting phase resulted in half his army being killed due to the open-top rule and flamers :smug:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Moola posted:

Tell me more

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

same????

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
sorry im hosed up

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
For Stealth suits, do you give them fusion or bursts?
Commanders with 4 fusions or 3 missiles and advanced targeting?

Thanks for all the help, trying to figure out if it's worth it for me.

Edit:vvvvvv thanks bro. I think I have 9 old metal stealth suits. Is there going to be any issue using them?

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 27, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dexefiend posted:

For Stealth suits, do you give them fusion or bursts?
Commanders with 4 fusions or 3 missiles and advanced targeting?

Thanks for all the help, trying to figure out if it's worth it for me.

For Stealths I give the Shas'vre a fusion, but you can only ever have one fusion per three suits so it's kind of a moot point.

For Commanders I think four fusions is the height of meta-gamey bullshit and I avoid it even though I know it's the superior option until the Cyclic Ion Blaster gets unfucked with some decent AP or something. I've been running mine with Cyclic Ion Blasters and Advanced Targeting. It's better against a variety of units, but suffers against hard targets.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Weclom,,Moola

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Some Objectively Incorrect Dipshit posted:

Taudar at the height of 6E/7E were underpowered and Nids were OP.

:vomarine:

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
GW does need some credit, imo. Shadespire is a tight, competitive, balanced game. So far. Probably their first really purely competitive game.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

goose willis posted:

Oh I didn't know that

I haven't had a situation where that rule would've applied

there's literally eight (8) pages of rules man come the gently caress on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Moola posted:

SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

sorry im hosed up

Did you give GW money?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Moola posted:

IM SO hosed

Moola posted:

Moola posted:

SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

Moola posted:

sorry im hosed up

:same:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Some leaks from White Dwarf on the two Angel codexes: http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/11/white-dwarf-reveals-lieutenants-and.html and http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/11/dark-angels-and-primaris-marines.html

The second one confirms that Dark Angels will get some more codex stuff. They specifically list Hunters, Stalkers, Stormhawks, and Scout Bikers for Dark Angels.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

I wanted to build Old One EYe. I didn't have any crushing claw bits leftover. But I did have Haruspex claws. I think that almost works better. Just got these two idiots done today, and about halfway through a third. Arms are all magnetized, so turning OoE into a regular fex is pretty easy.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Moola posted:

IM SO hosed

Moola posted:

Moola posted:

SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

Moola confirmed Biff Tundrish?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So the second open day was a dud then?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

So the second open day was a dud then?

Basically. Who'd have thought that a leak found on 4chan would be a dud?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I knew it was too soon for the Lion. Every other Primarch release was preceded by quite a lot of fanfare (Magnus was in the second part of the last warzone supplement, Guilliman was the third part of the 'Gathering Storm' lead up to 8th edition, and Mortarion had literal months of teasers until the Death Guard codex came out) and expecting one to just pop up in three weeks without even a peep before hand is ridiculous. Far more likely that we'll see Leman Russ next since GW has enough time to start putting the marketing gears into motion and even then its entirely likely we won't see any more Primarchs until the 8th edition warzone supplements start dropping.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Moola posted:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Finally finished these guys.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I'm assembling my death guard after exploiting some local black Friday deals and while I was in line to buy my stuff one of the store regulars made a comment about chapter approved and how I needed to pick it up so "I could actually use plague marines". I've also seen similar comments in that hellscape called /40kg/.

I'm not necessarily into my Death Guard codex being the metagame king but I was curious if this take on plague marines was justified or completely overblown (as I suspect).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wrapped up my Trygon Prime, completing the starter box. I'll take some group pics later. This guy won me a small 500 point skirmish tonight so I'm pleased.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

xtothez posted:

As Pendent said, GW are just finding their feet at this. They haven't spent 30 years doing this at all; it was nearly 3 decades of beerhammer and forging the narrative, then only the past year or so has been about designing games actually intended for balanced, competitive play.
Yeah, see, I don't buy this either. Back in the days of 3rd, 4th, and even as late as 5th edition, GW was actually still running tournaments. It wasn't until, what, late 6th or early 7th edition that they stopped having actual games at Games Day? And even when they stopped running tournaments themselves, you still had huge events like Adepticon, NOVA Open, and LVO that laid bare some of the worst problems in the rulesets. Hell, just look at any year's ITC rules and it will tell you what's wrong with the game.

That said, you're right in that there's a big difference between "can see that there's stuff wrong with the game and what might be causing it," and "can be arsed to actually fix it." It's abundantly clear from the treatment of Orks and (especially) Tyranids for over a decade that GW didn't give a poo poo about competitive play; there were armies that were just not competitive unless you surprised someone with a gimmick.

But my hope is that they've figured something out about miniatures wargames - if certain factions don't completely loving suck, people will actually buy them! Shocking! A well-balanced game is good for their bottom line. But right now it feels like they're still sort of flailing around a little bit. Maybe that will smooth out as more codices are released - but then again, historical precedent on that score means I wouldn't bet money on it.

EDIT: That's a loving baller Trygon!

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Moola posted:

SPACE M<ARRIRIIIINES

Moola posted:

sorry im hosed up

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Question with overwatch and flamers and similar weapons. If the range is 8 inches and I charge outside of that do I still suffer overwatch?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

For_Great_Justice posted:

Question with overwatch and flamers and similar weapons. If the range is 8 inches and I charge outside of that do I still suffer overwatch?

Yes. The flamers still get their autohits. Makes for some real fun when people charge into my d-scythes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

So I'm assembling my death guard after exploiting some local black Friday deals and while I was in line to buy my stuff one of the store regulars made a comment about chapter approved and how I needed to pick it up so "I could actually use plague marines". I've also seen similar comments in that hellscape called /40kg/.

I'm not necessarily into my Death Guard codex being the metagame king but I was curious if this take on plague marines was justified or completely overblown (as I suspect).

Well they got a two point discount per marine, and the blight launcher dropped four points - I think that's it. Not a big change at all.