Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

I'm happy that pagancow will be able to enjoy a Taika Waititi film now that Ragnarok is out :unsmith:

why couldnt she have enjoyed what we do in the shadows

boy is also good esp at the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i saw 300 at the imax and at the end when he gets arrowed the pixels were big enough around the cgi that i could see them doing their little dither dance thing from where i was sitting

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i saw 300 at the imax and at the end when he gets arrowed the pixels were big enough around the cgi that i could see them doing their little dither dance thing from where i was sitting

Is there a master list somewhere of "ruined by the theatrical IMAX upgrade" movies, where they were expecting everyone to watch it with a lower-end projector at 2K resolution and then a studio head was like "hey this would look great in IMAX" and everyone on the production staff who did a shortcut like this that is really obvious at higher resolution/quality shat themselves?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

echinopsis posted:

why couldnt she have enjoyed what we do in the shadows

boy is also good esp at the start

it didn't cost nearly enough to make duh

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

Is there a master list somewhere of "ruined by the theatrical IMAX upgrade" movies, where they were expecting everyone to watch it with a lower-end projector at 2K resolution and then a studio head was like "hey this would look great in IMAX" and everyone on the production staff who did a shortcut like this that is really obvious at higher resolution/quality shat themselves?

No IMAX tickets command 15+ dollars and it's more revenue for the same film. Don't spend time doing anything but letting the scaler in the projector room do something with the 2K DCP.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lolololol i just had a thanksgiving meal conversation about star wars

"star wars 7 is an objectively good movie because they did everything real with it which is why it looked good"

buuuuuulllllllSSHHHHIIIITTTTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgzxrwXHCoU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

"star wars 7 is an objectively good movie because they did everything real with it which is why it looked good"

they went outside a few times unlike the george lucas prequels lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol they build more sets in prequels because computer graphics were bad back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-myaAkkQPc&t=1840s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

they went outside a few times unlike the george lucas prequels lol

yeah there was a massive advertising push around "look, we have real sets, not just green screen rooms!" but really at the end of the day the only advertising they needed was "this movie is not directed by george lucas"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Just look at the massive elaborate set they build for EP1, and then on EP7 its like "welp lets just let bob from VFX do it" because it looks better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

lol they build more sets in prequels because computer graphics were bad back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-myaAkkQPc&t=1840s

I assume Lucas made the real sets look like terrible CG in ep2 to blend in?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

Just look at the massive elaborate set they build for EP1, and then on EP7 its like "welp lets just let bob from VFX do it" because it looks better.

Ep2 and 3 are the bad ones for that, it’s clear in 1 they ran out of money after the “roger roger” droids and jar jar

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

A lot of the original team from 4-5-6 were on 1-2-3 and they built a lot of practicals just like back then, and it was tedious and had several limitations until they unlocked layers in the computer

now they are doing stuff real time in game engine like things and they can iterate faster and thus make better films

but no lets build everything because of ~~~my nostalgia for an old 70s movie built for kids~~~~

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume Lucas made the real sets look like terrible CG in ep2 to blend in?

actually he made the groundbreaking CG look more artificial to fit in with the extremely soft first-gen digital cinema cameras

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

hobbesmaster posted:

Ep2 and 3 are the bad ones for that, it’s clear in 1 they ran out of money after the “roger roger” droids and jar jar

lol yes they ran out of money in a $137 million dollar non-union production

lollllllll do you even know how money works?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

josh04 posted:

actually he made the groundbreaking CG look more artificial to fit in with the extremely soft first-gen digital cinema cameras

physically based rendering didn't exist in 1999

it is what makes all surfaces actually shiny and properly reflect bounce light. before then it was just artists faking it thats why moves after 2006 have passible graphics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
think the reason pagan cow doesn’t like thor is that there is more than two colours

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

think the reason pagan cow doesn’t like thor is that there is more than two colours

they must love bvs then

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
blue and orange are the only colors computers can generate properly

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

wrong it’s the orange and teal color space I’m defining in this bitch

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the original texas chainsaw massacre was shot on 16mm

and they released a uhd bluray of it

pagancow does this make sense

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

that part maybe, but the disc also has dolby atmos AND auro3d which sure as poo poo wasn't in 1974 theaters

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

univbee posted:

that part maybe, but the disc also has dolby atmos AND auro3d which sure as poo poo wasn't in 1974 theaters

it was originally mono wasnt it

im not seeing much of a video difference here

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=882&y=317&d1=11095&d2=4769&s1=108821&s2=44339&l=1&i=4&go=1

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

in general 16 mm film's grain qualities means you won't get much meaningful increase in picture quality going above ~2200 pixels across, just like standard 35 mm film's grain qualities means you won't get much meaningful increase in picture quality going above ~5000 pixels across at absolute most.

and most 16 mm shot film could be completely handled by like ~1500 pixels across and most 35 mm shot film doesn't really give you anything beyond ~3500 pixels across.

however, very high res scanning can make it easier to handle things like cleaning up actual damage to the origin film you scanned, help to recover additional detail, and other things like that.so it's not really a waste to scan a 16 mm film at 4k and put your eventual output on the disc at 4k, you are getting a little marginal increase in detail over the standard 1080p, and having done said scan now there's a high quality digital source to use for future stuff in case the film degrades too much or whatever.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

fishmech posted:

in general 16 mm film's grain qualities means you won't get much meaningful increase in picture quality going above ~2200 pixels across, just like standard 35 mm film's grain qualities means you won't get much meaningful increase in picture quality going above ~5000 pixels across at absolute most.

and most 16 mm shot film could be completely handled by like ~1500 pixels across and most 35 mm shot film doesn't really give you anything beyond ~3500 pixels across.

however, very high res scanning can make it easier to handle things like cleaning up actual damage to the origin film you scanned, help to recover additional detail, and other things like that.so it's not really a waste to scan a 16 mm film at 4k and put your eventual output on the disc at 4k, you are getting a little marginal increase in detail over the standard 1080p, and having done said scan now there's a high quality digital source to use for future stuff in case the film degrades too much or whatever.

cool

yeah it was scanned and restored at 4k, i have the bluray version and it looks great (for a 16mm low budget 70s film

sidenote i love how many crap movies are on bluray *eyes shelf of 88 films and vinegar syndrome releases*

tho im still salty about the Killer Workout bluray, the best source they could get was betacam SP

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

blue and orange are the only colors computers can generate properly

pagancow posted:

wrong it’s the orange and teal color space I’m defining in this bitch

Both wrong bithces, it's green and amber.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

vfx breakdowns makes me realize how fuckin dirt cheap industry must percieve vfx manhours to be

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

16mm film looks good at 1080.

UHD-BluRays are getting upscaled from 1080P sources because y'all sit too far away from the TV

like UHD res resolve is around 5.5 feet for a 60" tv, get closer nub

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

cool

yeah it was scanned and restored at 4k, i have the bluray version and it looks great (for a 16mm low budget 70s film

sidenote i love how many crap movies are on bluray *eyes shelf of 88 films and vinegar syndrome releases*

tho im still salty about the Killer Workout bluray, the best source they could get was betacam SP

this is your chance to get all angry about a film that was changed from its original theatrical projection because faded colors you perceived on a rec.601 master or reduced dynamic range is how the movie should look instead of clean pixels

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

why don't you get all huffy and make a remastered version where you pull sources of the film from the oldest dirtiest laserdisc prints you can find and say thats the definitive source because how could a director know anything after they made money

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

then you spend a whole year color grading a film in adobo after effects (pirated lol) and somehow claim you're result is better from the 8-bpc 4:2:0 laserdisc captures on some el gato than the DPX scans from a negative in some vault

lolololool

pagancow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 26, 2017

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and then you're going to hand paint in stars in the sky because they just aren't the same from the original!!!!! as if LPF doesn't mean a thing on different viewing devices!!!!!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh and heres the real kicker,

you'll compress it 8-bpc 4:2:0 and lose the grain anyway

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oh yeah, a month-ish ago an enterprising hacker got into some important poo poo at hasbro and, knowing what was most important, stole a fuckton of my little pony stuff including a 129 gig DNxHD copy of the new movie (although still only at 1080p resolution)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

AtomD posted:

vfx breakdowns makes me realize how fuckin dirt cheap industry must percieve vfx manhours to be

they don't pay them very much. I think I saw a story earlier this year about how vfx companies basically die out as soon as their first film is in the can because they're run on almost no margin to be competitive

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

univbee posted:

oh yeah, a month-ish ago an enterprising hacker got into some important poo poo at hasbro and, knowing what was most important, stole a fuckton of my little pony stuff including a 129 gig DNxHD copy of the new movie (although still only at 1080p resolution)

this is certainly a proxy which is below mpeg-2 quality lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

this is certainly a proxy which is below mpeg-2 quality lol

probably. all i know about it is it's a .mov file with a CBR of like 175 megabits/second

part of me is surprised these types of leak don't happen more often but maybe studios are actually pretty good about not having unencrypted copies of their just-got-a-theatrical-release movies sitting around on a system hackers manage to get into

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

You're talking about assets worth millions so I would be in no way surprised if they have fairly elaborate chain of custody systems that are extremely auditable

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You're talking about assets worth millions so I would be in no way surprised if they have fairly elaborate chain of custody systems that are extremely auditable

I've never worked for any proper company in the movie industry but it was always my understanding that this stuff is always encrypted out the rear end so any playback has to be done in a super-heavily controlled way with plenty of DRM checks. This was a completely unencrypted loose file that people were able to straight playback offline, throw into handbrake to get a more reasonably-sized file or whatever.

I figured if you worked for a studio internally and somehow obtained an unencrypted file of a finished version of a movie while working for a major studio and you weren't, like, the head of the company (not even the director), regardless of whether or not anything bad came of it, you and anyone else who assisted you in getting that file would be lucky if the worst thing that happened to them is getting fired and blacklisted.

but then I know that in a lot of companies "super-serious" rules are often ignored

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
encryption stuff is usually handled by the same company that actually squirts out the files to movie theater networks to be shown. the studio doesn't particularly need the movie heavily encrypted while its being produced, and should always have unencrypted versions around for various internal uses

• Locked thread