Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

My 8+ lags in apple maps constantly.

Its like the whole app freezes for a half mile and then suddenly jumps to real time.

My wife’s phone is identical, and doesn’t do this.

Do I need to trade mine in? Or is this a new IOS11 bug?

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I flood this thread with a bunch of questions about wireless charging, but does anyone know of any dangers there could be in buying this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sa...FgAAOSwTexZyyqV

It sells new for around $80, so getting it half off is very delicious sounding.

Wouldn't be surprised if they were counterfeit. Probably safer to buy it for the lowest you can find at a regular store and then use credit card price protection to match whatever shady retailer of the week is listing it for $40 new.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
The readability on the X in full sunlight is really really good.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm kinda shocked there are literally 0 wireless chargers with the same level of design as the ElevationDock, Gravitas, or even Apple's lightning dock.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

My 8+ lags in apple maps constantly.

Its like the whole app freezes for a half mile and then suddenly jumps to real time.

My wife’s phone is identical, and doesn’t do this.

Do I need to trade mine in? Or is this a new IOS11 bug?

Bring it in to the Apple store. Sounds like something is up.

Or do a restore first to see if that fixes it.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm kinda shocked there are literally 0 wireless chargers with the same level of design as the ElevationDock, Gravitas, or even Apple's lightning dock.

i think the wooden Ikea one looks pretty sharp

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I forgot about the 7.5w charging speed being added. I've definitely noticed my phone getting warmer on the QI charging (nothing concerning). They're not going to just open the 15w charging probably because there's so many shady QI type charging devices they don't want poo poo blowing up or who knows. Surprised if the X didn't get it at some point...

iOS 11.2 Supports Faster 7.5W Charging on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X From Qi-Based Wireless Charging Accessories

Early testing shows 7.5W ‘fast’ wireless charging has small effect on Qi charging speed

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bring it in to the Apple store. Sounds like something is up.

Or do a restore first to see if that fixes it.

no reason he shouldn't but I've encountered a lot of jailbreak-esque bugs in ios11 that I'd never seen before. Random lock ups, hang ups, crashes, having to force restart, etc. It's definitely gotten better.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Is the Zagg Invisible Shield still the thread choice for screen protector?

Guess I'm a sucker for paying $40 for it at a Verizon store (it's half that on Amazon) but I sure like its warranty, plus the sales staff at the store applied it on for me for free.

It's also a zillion times better than the protector that came with my Otterbox Defender, it was only a year old but was getting cloudy and scratchy. I tore the lovely one out of the Defender and slipped my 7 in with the applied Zagg shield and it fit great.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fourwood posted:

I just flipped through dozens of photos going back a couple months before it needed to redownload anything. Are you short on free storage space or anything?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have 30gb of free space.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 27, 2017

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I just flipped through dozens of photos going back a couple months before it needed to redownload anything. Are you short on free storage space or anything?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Is ios 11 offloading full res photos to iCloud really quickly? A photo I took like a few hours ago already got offloaded. I mean it's fine to quickly download the full photo if you're on WiFi but it seems WAY too soon compared to ios 10.

I'm on a 6 with about 10 gigs free and it offloads everything the second I lock my phone.

CheesyDog fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 27, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is ios 11 offloading full res photos to iCloud really quickly? A photo I took like a few hours ago already got offloaded. I mean it's fine to quickly download the full photo if you're on WiFi but it seems WAY too soon compared to ios 10.

I don't think anything you mention is intentional behaviour, but the behaviour is repeated among other complaints.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I was having that problem until I did a restore for other reasons.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Are scratches covered under AppleCare? I got a scratch on my 8 and I’m trying to sell it since I also got the X

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Best as hassle free as possible way to sell a 6 with a dying battery? Apple store trade-in?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

jaegerx posted:

Are scratches covered under AppleCare? I got a scratch on my 8 and I’m trying to sell it since I also got the X

They’re considered cosmetic damage, so no. Maybe if you can convince them it’s a single hairline crack.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ManSedan posted:

I was having that problem until I did a restore for other reasons.

iCloud restore or full DFU restore?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well it ain't Protube, but:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Why am I getting this error:

I have over 200GB free, the backup is only 30GB and I want to restore it to a 64GB phone :/

I've tried this on two different MBPs and I'm getting the exact same error

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have over 200GB free, the backup is only 30GB and I want to restore it to a 64GB phone :/

But.. what's a computer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQB2NjhJHvY&t=53s

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Permissions problems most likely. Try from a new admin user or quit iTunes and rename the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ folder to force iTunes to re-create it, then quit iTunes again and paste the backup in the new folder it auto-generates.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Anyone else interact with an iDevice in addition to their X on a regular basis? I keep trying to swipe up for the home screen on the SE I use for my work phone :negative:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Anyone else interact with an iDevice in addition to their X on a regular basis? I keep trying to swipe up for the home screen on the SE I use for my work phone :negative:

Yeah I use my iPad Pro a ton and the difference in gestures between the two is super annoying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Permissions problems most likely. Try from a new admin user or quit iTunes and rename the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ folder to force iTunes to re-create it, then quit iTunes again and paste the backup in the new folder it auto-generates.

I'll try this, thanks !

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have to very occasionally fix something on my wife's phone and it's deeply confusing and annoying to remember there is a button. I still can't believe how much I like swiping up in almost every context (except games, more games need to get on that grab bar needs to be touched twice to work setting). I thought there was a chance when I ordered the phone I would wind up returning it due to lack of home button.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
My work iPhone has a button and it loving disgusts me now

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How is the iPhone SE holding up in terms of speed and smoothness? My work phone is a 6 and it is passable on iOS11, since the SE is basically a 6S with a lower-resolution screen I'd think it would be pretty decent still.

In related news, has anyone returned their iPhone Upgrade Program phone? I know I don't get my old phone back, but I'm wondering if I get hit with a fee or bill or have to pay the whole loan back for my old phone if I do so. After a few days of use, I'm just not in to the X that much...it doesn't handle any better than the plus phones in use, and it feels way too clunky. Not the experience I want for one-thousand one-hundred and ninety-eight
American dollars (plus tax).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My SE isn’t noticeably slower on 11 than on 10.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Because you still use itunes backup like a god drat caveman

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Buttons are so Summer ‘17. I find it annoying to have to hold power to bring up Siri if I had forgot that you can do hey Siri now without being Being plugged into power.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Unfortunately an encrypted itunes backup is still the only way to migrate every single byte and config setting from one phone to a new one. icloud gets you close but not all the way there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

I’m trying to solve an iCloud issue funnily enough !

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Any word on when iCloud messages is coming?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looke posted:

Any word on when iCloud messages is coming?
Probably some time next year since it’s not in the 11.2 betas.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The samsung stand-up Qi charger I ordered from amazon warehouse deals came in and works great. I set it behind my keyboard and faceid works great while on the charger so I can just leave it on there while working.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I thought that commercial was adorable the first time I saw it, and then I was like, hey smartass, an iPad is a computer. A calculator is a computer. Stay in school.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

enojy posted:

I thought that commercial was adorable the first time I saw it, and then I was like, hey smartass, an iPad is a computer. A calculator is a computer. Stay in school.

Im a computer

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Anyone recommend a wireless charging case for the SE? Looking at these two:
1.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZMHNQ9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1N4WP3MIY63S2&psc=1
2.) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKAC292/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1V61FRI3EHAVO&psc=1

I'm leaning towards 2 since I already have a case I like but I guess I'm concerned about being able to remove the plug if I ever need to charge the phone with a cord.

For what it's worth, the phone sits on my desk 80% of the time. I take it with me when I work remotely and I have a Qi charger at home and at the office.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Don Lapre posted:

Im a computer

Hey kid....stop all the downloadin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
What if they got the woman from Hidden Figures to do the What's A Computer ad?? :chanpop: