Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

probably a bunch of trump voters were just protest-voting on the assumption hillary was certain to win, too. voters are stupid, let's bring back monarchy

there were dozens of random bullshit factors that went against hillary that if even one had not broke for trump she would have won

every one of them broke for trump lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Leperflesh posted:

probably a bunch of trump voters were just protest-voting on the assumption hillary was certain to win, too. voters are stupid, let's bring back monarchy

A friend of mine told me he voted for Trump "for the lols" I was speechless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Flikken posted:

A friend of mine told me he voted for Trump "for the lols" I was speechless.

I assume you were speechless because it's really hard to speak when you're mouth is full of the flesh of their jugular?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

FizFashizzle posted:

there were dozens of random bullshit factors that went against hillary that if even one had not broke for trump she would have won

every one of them broke for trump lol

Yeah alienating an important group of voters who reside primarily in key states sure was random

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I got in a fight with my father in law for the third straight niners game because I said "the world doesn't need billionaires" ama

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah it’s dangerous to pretend trump was elected by luck or mistake. Ignoring what’s wrong with the Democratic Party isn’t going to help fix it, ya know

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah it’s dangerous to pretend trump was elected by luck or mistake. Ignoring what’s wrong with the Democratic Party isn’t going to help fix it, ya know

The issues going on in the Dem party is one factor. As Fiz said, all factors went in Trump's favor.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Yeah alienating an important group of voters who reside primarily in key states sure was random

I....didn't say that?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Amy Pole Her posted:

I really am wishing for a multi party coalition system so it's not just choice A or B.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Amy Pole Her posted:

It's something that's hard to admit in an echo chamber that there happens to be other, louder echo chambers out there in America.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Thaddius the Large posted:

My mom always made Paul Prudhomme’s Cajun Potato Salad, and I do love it something fierce.

4 medium-size white potatoes, cooked, peeled and coarsley chopped
6 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
2 teaspoons ground red pepper, preferably cayenne
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper

In large bowl mix all ingredients then refrigerate.

Quoting this so I can find it later

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

The issues going on in the Dem party is one factor. As Fiz said, all factors went in Trump's favor.

I’ll give you there are other contributing factors but you’re nuts if you don’t think it’s the # 1 reason.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

:getin:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's no number 1 reason trump happened; there are dozens of reasons

talking about how unlikely his victory was doesn't minimize any of the factors that led to it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

I....didn't say that?

Then I have no idea what you mean because I can't think of any combination that would trump Clinton's strategic decisions.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Then I have no idea what you mean because I can't think of any combination that would trump Clinton's strategic decisions.

Trump getting the nomination took a whole lot of weird poo poo going on in this country. There's no defending Clinton's decisions, but these are definitely weird times and they all happened to line up exactly for Trump.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Hobbes Was Right

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Trump getting the nomination took a whole lot of weird poo poo going on in this country. There's no defending Clinton's decisions, but these are definitely weird times and they all happened to line up exactly for Trump.

Clinton ignoring a large group of voters had a greater effect than any of that, which was not random but a conscious decision.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

i know who im voting for in 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Clinton ignoring a large group of voters had a greater effect than any of that, which was not random but a conscious decision.

I doubt anyone would argue that.

Regardless, that alone was probably not enough to turn the election. Tons of other poo poo had to happen too. And it all did.

I don't think this is a controversial opinion.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 27, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sour Diesel posted:

i know who im voting for in 2020

hell ya!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/MichaelWBratton/status/934901933189599232

https://twitter.com/EMsStTE/status/934903672693194753

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

:boom:

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Flikken posted:

I really am wishing for a multi party coalition system so it's not just choice A or B.

Speaking as a dirty foreigner, I do feel like the multi party system we have here works really well (Netherlands). In the last 5 elections I've voted for 3 different parties because they aligned better with my opinions at the time. It seems crazy to me to have essentially an A and B choice with independents mixed in who will never win anyway so they become somewhat of a wasted vote.

I'm also not trying to say that the Dutch system is perfect. We basically elected an insane racist to run the major opposition party. At least he didn't win the general election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The problem with the idea of a multi party system in the US is it's going to last all of one election until the parties coalesce with each other to again create two opposing "coalition" parties.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The united states does kind of have a coalition government. Like even at the national level, congress certainly are made up of numerous factions of people that have competing and contradictory ideas of what's important, what goals should be, how government should be run, etc.

Like, the left is the obvious example, since it fractures every chance it gets.

But the right is just as disorganized. At the national level, they clearly can't accomplish anything. the House ACA repeal was only passed because they knew it wouldn't survive the senate. they're held hostage by the house freedom lunatics, and the blue state republicans, and your various other ghouls and morons.

On a state level, being a republican means something different in any state. Like being a republican in montana is a poo poo load different than being one in roswell, georgia.

the bigger problems are the senate and the executive. the house in and of itself is not that big of a problem. I mean republicans are going to be destroyed in 2018. Then the left will be free to consume itself with purity tests and actually passing legislation for the right wing to run against.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

clinton lost three key states that normally go blue, by around one percent (half a percent In two, and over one percent in one). Every factor which affected the vote in those states by one percent, is a factor which lost her the election.

Some factors had a big influence and some were small. But any factor that flips those states is "the reason hillary lost" and that's inarguable, it's just how the election works.

Similarly, flip florida with iirc a three point move and those three states don't matter. There were a ton of paths to a clinton victory and almost none for a trump victory. That's why there are so many factors that mattered.

So: yeah. Hatred of hillary stoked by decades of right wing venom directed her way mattered; democratic incompetence mattered; hillary's strategic mistakes mattered; sexism mattered; the fbi email bullshit mattered; the weather mattered; voter suppression mattered; allll of it mattered.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I've always thought it'd be kinda cool if we kill the richest 1 per cent and spread their money around to the lower classes.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The USA, for all intents and purposes, are a cultural and political barometer for the rest of the world so excuse me if these questions are stupid but:

FizFashizzle posted:

But the right is just as disorganized. At the national level, they clearly can't accomplish anything. the House ACA repeal was only passed because they knew it wouldn't survive the senate. they're held hostage by the house freedom lunatics, and the blue state republicans, and your various other ghouls and morons.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The problem with the idea of a multi party system in the US is it's going to last all of one election until the parties coalesce with each other to again create two opposing "coalition" parties.

This to me seems like a major problem since you don't get to weed out the crazy people from the party. Everyone is considered part of the same political ideology whether it be a somewhat conservative republican or a hard right red state conservative. Why do people still congregate to the same party even though they differ substantially from one and other in political beliefs?

FizFashizzle posted:

the bigger problems are the senate and the executive. the house in and of itself is not that big of a problem. I mean republicans are going to be destroyed in 2018. Then the left will be free to consume itself with purity tests and actually passing legislation for the right wing to run against.

Doesn't this create a vicious cycle where one extreme makes the next one worse? If there can never be a middle ground between two extremes doesn't that just ensure perpetual escalation (Trump being a prime example of one extreme)?

MalarkeyToboggan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 27, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This to me seems like a major problem since you don't get to weed out the crazy people from the party. Everyone is considered part of the same political ideology whether it be a somewhat conservative republican or a hard right red state conservative. Why do people still congregate to the same party even though they differ substantially from one and other in political beliefs?

Every country has crazy politicians. Brexit didn't happen because Nigel Farange got weeded out at a lower level.

What you're asking is a massive question, due to the sheer size of the United States. If I had to try to blame it on one main thing though, it's that over the past twenty years democrats simply stopped running/paying attention to people in very rural/rust belty type/conservative places. Part of this was them taking them for granted, part was them thinking there was no point, part of this was failures in policy/strategy, part of this was the assumption that they'd always have some magical top ballot candidate to get out the vote.

One of the biggest initiatives in the aftermath of trump has been just getting people to run, and in the first large scale election it was massively successful. That state house district in virginia led by a guy writing TG bathroom legislation? Beaten by a transititoned reporter who plays guitar in a metal band that simply ran on improving roads.

It's not impossible, and I'm confident they've learned a lesson.

quote:

Doesn't this create a vicious cycle where one extreme makes the next one worse? If there can never be a middle ground between two extremes doesn't that just ensure perpetual escalation (Trump being a prime example of one extreme)?

Yes, it's called the Overton Window and it's been shifting steadily right for the past thirty years. However, this can just more accurately be blamed on the failure of the left to really offer anything substantive politically.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Democratic party isn't wholly or even mostly left, except in comparison to a Republican Party that's full of batshit religious fanatics, white power human garbage and business trash that will do anything for tax cuts and deregulation.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
yeah, the left needs to dramatically improve their offerings to push for change. conservative ideology, by its nature, has a built in advantage of being able to just say “no” if all else fails because the system is already bent to their benefit. of course, they’re now stuck unable to do anything besides that, so there is still an opportunity there for the left.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bernie would've won

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

Every country has crazy politicians. Brexit didn't happen because Nigel Farange got weeded out at a lower level.
That's true. At the same time I feel like the thing that Farage and Trump had in common was that they ran on an extreme platform at a time when their respective countries were the most divided. I agree that the fault then lies with the opposing parties, whether it be Democrats or Tories for not offering solid alternatives.

FizFashizzle posted:

What you're asking is a massive question, due to the sheer size of the United States.

I know it's an impossible question to answer since it deals with 200 years of American political history. The last elections do seem to be swinging the pendulum back in the opposite direction which should be applauded especially in states like Virginia.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
An alternate universe where the democratic party wasn't ran by an inner cabal that hand picks candidates that will do whatever the party says and the republicans could come up with someone who wasn't a complete dud or scumbag so someone like trump would never sniff the primaries

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Doltos posted:

An alternate universe where the democratic party wasn't ran by an inner cabal that hand picks candidates that will do whatever the party says and the republicans could come up with someone who wasn't a complete dud or scumbag so someone like trump would never sniff the primaries

Ojala de dios quiere

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I would just like to take this time to thank TFF. You guys own. This is the only football related forum that isn't Right Wing old man poo poo.

Y'all own.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yaws posted:

Bernie would've won

Probably. But he'd be able to accomplish exactly jack poo poo with a Republican controlled Congress attacking him at every turn.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably. But he'd be able to accomplish exactly jack poo poo with a Republican controlled Congress attacking him at every turn.

True, but he wouldn't execute Trumps awful Executive Orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What Trump has done through EO would obviously have not been done. The census wouldn't be a disaster, the ME wouldn't be devolving into whatever is happening there, the US is still in Paris Climate Accords, who knows what happens with TPP. Trump has managed to gently caress up a lot of serious poo poo.

It remains to be seen if the GOP would have blocked all his judicial nominations (SC mainly) or appointments et al like they did with Obama. I'm not sure how that would have gone. Obviously their plan with hillary was just to throw horseshit investigations at her and coast to some more election victories.

I certainly don't think we'd see this level of dissatisfaction with the GOP over the lack of progress and complete national poo poo show things have become if Bernie was in there.

I don't want to say Trump will be a good thing long term, because he's a complete monster, but......hope?

• Locked thread