Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just picked up a steam link and it works *perfectly* for streaming the vr window to my tv over 5ghz wifi. much better than I thought and it's a perfect solution for those like me who run a vive via extension to their living room. I'd been lugging my pc to conneect to the tv via hdmi when I had guests who would need to see whats going on in vr. its on sale now so heads up.

it also works a lot better than I thought it would for regular gaming, just played through the first ep of Life is Strange on the tv with the gf, wireless only introduced 5ms of input lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just played Robo Recall and holy poo poo!

I don't think I've ever felt this much like a badass before, whilst probably looking like an utter muppet to an observer.

So good.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Tom Guycot posted:

Easy to pick up in what sense, just simple controls and not much learning, or just like arcade repetitive wave type easy?

Ideally both, I'm looking for something with an arcadey vibe.

quote:

There's Ultrawings which is an arcade, pilotwings style flying game. Go through the loops, shoot the baloons, etc. Its a neat game and very simple.

Pinball FX2 VR is, well... a pinball game, with several different tables. I don't think I need to explain pinball :v:

Darknet is a seated, sort of puzzle, strategy thing. I've never actually played it but, i've heard of it a bunch.

You mentioned vive, but theres a lot of seated games that might fit what you're looking for on the oculus store, all you'd need is a gamepad for most, and to install revive.

Lucky's Tale is a mario 64 style platformer, cute and a lot of fun. Very simple to pick up, and best part is its free.

Defense Grid 2 is a tower defense game, and might be the kind of thing you're looking for? Its also on steam but for whatever reason the steam version doesn't have VR support, its just the desktop game.

Dragon Front is also free, and its a multiplayer (or i guess single if you want to play against bots) collectable card game thing. Never a big card game fan myself, but its simple, has replayability, and a healthy playerbase since its also free on gearVR. If you like card games probably worth a look?

Theres a lot of other seated games I could think of, but again, not sure entirely what kind of "easy to pick up" you're looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Darknet looks too awkward to explain.
From the video Pinball FX2 VR looks like you're standing over the pinball machine rather than seated. I'm not sure it shows off the Vive very well.
Ultrawings looks a bit complex but may be simple enough.

I'd prefer not to add the complication of Oculus stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would like to propose the perfect VR locomotion style. Forget walk in place - we need to skateboard in place.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Edison was a dick posted:

From the video Pinball FX2 VR looks like you're standing over the pinball machine rather than seated. I'm not sure it shows off the Vive very well.

Pinball FX2 VR just shows how well existing arcade-style gaming can be converted over to VR. It really does feel like the pinball machine is actually there. It has a seated mode too.

Ultrawings is probably one of my favorite VR games. If anything it can be a little too simple, but I think it has enough complexity to give the impression that you're actually flying a plane.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 26, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

metztli posted:

What games would you guys recommend that are good for a workout? I'm thinking something like 30 minutes of decent activity, and maybe one doesn't need to actually be good at it to play so that someone who is out of shape could easily have fun in it without having to deal with frustration or fatigue - for example, GORN but with invulnerable and just keep rampaging for the whole time or something.

A friend of mine is interested in getting more active and I am thinking that something that lets them at least get moving at first and then can ramp up would be fun for them.

Sound boxing for sure.

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Ralith posted:

Reminder that Pavlov is on sale for $6. With solid core gameplay, hundreds of custom maps in the workshop (including a number of good quality ports from CS and other games) and a thriving online playerbase, this is ridiculously good value-for-money if you like FPS at all. Plus you'll have it for when the Battle Royale game mode is released sometime in the next few months! Early alpha tests for that are expected to be happening every weekend.

Between Pavlov, Bullets and More, AMF and Onward, I feel like the modern FPS genre has more than enough staples for the time being. Everyone seems to be adding Battle Royale mode these days to cash in on the craze though.
I'm waiting for the next AAA one to show up and dominate them all from a company with a guaranteed fanbase.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My cables done for, ordered a new one. Was quite a lightshow in the headset when it finally died though.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

EbolaIvory posted:

Sound boxing for sure.

I'll second this. It's on sale for $3.50 right now on Steam, has both Oculus and Vive support natively, and Youtube integration. It's all user-made beat charts, but plenty of them are good.

Playing Soundboxing for the first and second time are easily the sweatiest experiences I've ever had in VR.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Darke GBF posted:

I'll second this. It's on sale for $3.50 right now on Steam, has both Oculus and Vive support natively, and Youtube integration. It's all user-made beat charts, but plenty of them are good.

Playing Soundboxing for the first and second time are easily the sweatiest experiences I've ever had in VR.

$3.50? Buying it as a gift for them then.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a good Vive mystery or point & click adventure, with pretty visuals? I enjoyed Starseed quite a bit.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

WMain00 posted:

Just played Robo Recall and holy poo poo!

I don't think I've ever felt this much like a badass before, whilst probably looking like an utter muppet to an observer.

So good.

How fun certain VR games are is directly proportional to how much of an idiot you look like to an outside observer. Posing with guns in Robo Recall like I was Reaper from Overwatch made me feel dumb and awesome simultaneously.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

smoobles posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Vive mystery or point & click adventure, with pretty visuals? I enjoyed Starseed quite a bit.

Isn't this the sequel?

http://cloudheadgames.com/the-gallery/episode-2-heart-of-the-emberstone/

I haven't played either, bu t I am pretty sure it is

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

if you use revive, Wilson's Heart is pretty much a point and click, and has great production value and ~5 hours.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Isn't this the sequel?

http://cloudheadgames.com/the-gallery/episode-2-heart-of-the-emberstone/

I haven't played either, bu t I am pretty sure it is

That is part 2 of Starseed. I have not played it yet but the first one was a lot of fun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Logic posted:

That is part 2 of Starseed. I have not played it yet but the first one was a lot of fun.

It's on my To Do list, which, I am constantly pleased by. So much good poo poo to play already

Fooz posted:

if you use revive, Wilson's Heart is pretty much a point and click, and has great production value and ~5 hours.

I have played this and agree, it's a great game of what I have played

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

metztli posted:

What games would you guys recommend that are good for a workout? I'm thinking something like 30 minutes of decent activity, and maybe one doesn't need to actually be good at it to play so that someone who is out of shape could easily have fun in it without having to deal with frustration or fatigue - for example, GORN but with invulnerable and just keep rampaging for the whole time or something.

A friend of mine is interested in getting more active and I am thinking that something that lets them at least get moving at first and then can ramp up would be fun for them.

Eleven Table Tennis. I've been playing the beta before it launches on the oculus store (its already on steam obv.), and it does an amazing job simulating ping pong. Seems like it might be a good fit for them.

The Grey posted:

I know this is old news for most people here, but I just tried Rec Room for the first time. I found the experience awkward and uncomfortable.

I don't have social anxiety, but I am an introvert and don't normally chat in multiplayer games. Having semi-retarded people come up to my face out of nowhere and start saying stuff is kind of jarring. I went into charades and felt like I didn't fit in at all. It was a couple really loud dudes, another guy yelling "pussy" and "titties", and some little kids. Then I tried some Laser Tag. The environment was cool, but it feels like teleportation and deathmatch aren't a good combo. I went back out to the lobby, saw a bunch of people talking about flipping water bottles and decided this wasn't for me.

Maybe I need to give it a second chance or try it with different people?

As far as I'm concerned the 'deathmatch' aspects of it, paintball for example, are kind of fun at first, but the teleporting is annoying in a game like that. The only really fun part of it to me is doing the Quest modes, particularly the sci fi one, with a group of friends. Sometimes randoms are ok, but often there are just like, 8 year old kids playing and that just gets kinda weird, I don't really want to be someones babysitter in my relaxation time.

Ah, it looks like you're wanting to show off some stuff to maybe someone thats not really going to be able to stand and play some of the more involved demos? Echoing what was said earlier, you should give pinball FX a look, its surprising how good it feels compared to any other virtual pinball. The 3d, and 90fps really makes it feel like a pinball machine, and if you're trying to show it to someone unfamiliar with VR, could be a nice introduction to the tech as everyone knows pinball.

Depending on the type of person Rez Infinite might be a good choice?

Eve Gunjack actually might be exactly what you're looking for. Its on sale for 3.99 and its basically a seated wave shooter where you're manning a turret. Like a VR space invaders or something. Its a port of the GearVR game, but couldn't be more simple, more arcadey, and had nice visuals to impress someone who doesn't really want to get into more involved stuff.

Thumper is another seated very arcade like trippy game, that might also be worth a look.

smoobles posted:

Pretty visuals is a tall order in the early days here. You might want to have a look at Obduction though if you haven't already. I thoroughly loved the game, I thought most of its puzzles were fantastic and the world was really enjoyable to discover and explore. I've heard some people having trouble running it smoothly on lower end hardware though so might be something to look out for.

I haven't played it myself, but you might want to have a look into Dead Secret. From everything I've seen of it, it might be right up the alley of what you're looking for.

The Assembly is another well put together adventure game/puzzle game. A bit more linear, but on same at the moment and worth a look at some videos of it to see if it interests you.

I know you mentioned vive specifically, but I have to mention if you don't mind running revive, Wilson's Heart is a gorgeous adventure game with a cool black and white 1950's horror look to it. Wonderful scenes, fun story, and some really cool bits of interaction in it. Its a bid divisive though, the game doesn't really want you walking around freely so in that sense its more like an old adventure game full of separate scenes, its more linear, and the puzzles are really straightforward most of the time. Still, for a ~7 hour narrative experience, it remains one of my favorites and I loved it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Straw poll...

Has anyone else here played Ripcoil? If so did it completely gently caress you up regarding moving side to side?

It's the only VR game that has a 100% 'oh god no what is happening' response from people I know, and me, playing it.

I'd almost call it a must have game just for much it really really dicks with you

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Chadzok posted:

10. Getting lost in Chroma Lab for the duration of several Shpongle albums

Yes... yessss.

Chroma Lab is amazing for that, Infected Mushroom goes great with it too

Maw fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 26, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

peter gabriel posted:

Straw poll...

Has anyone else here played Ripcoil? If so did it completely gently caress you up regarding moving side to side?

It's the only VR game that has a 100% 'oh god no what is happening' response from people I know, and me, playing it.

I'd almost call it a must have game just for much it really really dicks with you

Yep. I can play anything else fine. That game destroys me.

Like really. I’m the guy in BAM doing spins and flips everywhere In spectator.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Tom Guycot posted:

Ah, it looks like you're wanting to show off some stuff to maybe someone thats not really going to be able to stand and play some of the more involved demos?

Yep. The setting is a Christmas party. I didn't want to have an activity that a wheelchair user had no option for. Plus later in the night people are likely to be more drunk so something sitting down may work better.
Yes I will be supervising closely to make sure they don't fall over and break things.

quote:

Echoing what was said earlier, you should give pinball FX a look, its surprising how good it feels compared to any other virtual pinball. The 3d, and 90fps really makes it feel like a pinball machine, and if you're trying to show it to someone unfamiliar with VR, could be a nice introduction to the tech as everyone knows pinball.

Depending on the type of person Rez Infinite might be a good choice?

Looks interesting, but a bit too abstract for what I'm going for.

quote:

Eve Gunjack actually might be exactly what you're looking for. Its on sale for 3.99 and its basically a seated wave shooter where you're manning a turret. Like a VR space invaders or something. Its a port of the GearVR game, but couldn't be more simple, more arcadey, and had nice visuals to impress someone who doesn't really want to get into more involved stuff.

At £2.79 even if it isn't it's worth a punt. Thanks.

quote:

Thumper is another seated very arcade like trippy game, that might also be worth a look.

As cool as that looks, it looks likely to cause nausea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Your speed is fixed, so it doesn't. Acceleration is what causes sim sickness, not movement. YMMV of course but it's actually a very comfortable experience for how intense it is.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep. I can play anything else fine. That game destroys me.

Like really. I’m the guy in BAM doing spins and flips everywhere In spectator.

It really is the strangest thing I've felt in VR

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

peter gabriel posted:

It really is the strangest thing I've felt in VR

Its because the movement is totally not predictable and even when you get used to how movement works its still all over the place.

Id be down to try and 1v1 with you sometime to maybe screw around and puke together. You in the discord?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yep. The setting is a Christmas party. I didn't want to have an activity that a wheelchair user had no option for. Plus later in the night people are likely to be more drunk so something sitting down may work better.
Yes I will be supervising closely to make sure they don't fall over and break things.

Looks interesting, but a bit too abstract for what I'm going for.

At £2.79 even if it isn't it's worth a punt. Thanks.

If you've got a group of people over, look into "keep talking and nobody explodes". Its a group party game where one person wears the headset and has to diffuse a bomb, while the people not in VR can't see the bomb, and have to read the instruction manual and try to give verbal directions to the person in the headset. Its a lot of fun.

Fantastic Contraption has a seated mode I believe, as well as the roomscale mode, so it should be playable fine sitting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

EbolaIvory posted:

Its because the movement is totally not predictable and even when you get used to how movement works its still all over the place.

Id be down to try and 1v1 with you sometime to maybe screw around and puke together. You in the discord?

I'm not no, my net is very limited at the mo (waiting on fibre being activated so using my phone as a hotspot for now) but would be up for it late next week, falling over online sounds good :D

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
FYI the Viveport subscription is on a pretty crazy sale right now. I got 1 Year for $29.99. You get 5 games you can switch every month, so if you took full advantage of it you could get games for 50 cents each. As it happens it doesn't have the best titles but they've got some decent stuff and hopefully the titles on there get updates to be current.

For my first 5 I choose.

Arcade Saga
Cloudlands
Cosmic Trip
Knockout League
Richies Plank Experience

I'm not excited to have to have the Viveport software on my system but it seems like it might be a good way to try out little titles.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Alan Is More Upset posted:

Haven't heard anything about Fallout 4 VR in a while. Seems like bethesda is being very quiet about it. I'm going to assume it was delayed again.

It still has a release date of December 12 on the steam store. People seem to like Skyrim VR even though it isn't the most well-tailored VR experience so I'm optimistic whatever flaws it has on release can be fixed via mods.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The new Take And Hold mode in H3VR is great fun. Pop cases open, find random guns, hold off angry weiners for as long as you can, curse when the game gives you sawn off shotguns to start the game with. Between this mode, Meat Grinder, the two bot arenas and Rottweiners H3VR gives you so much more to do than just target practice that I think it's absolutely a must-have game for any shooting enthusiast

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Songbearer posted:

Pop cases open, find random guns

Fuckin lootboxes :argh:

Seriously, every new mode Anton adds becomes ny favorite. Still waiting for that big WW2 setpiece though that was promised months back

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

metztli posted:

By far the most intense exercise I've ever gotten in VR was Holopoint. It's not pretty, it's not fancy, and it's perhaps a little expensive, but good god does the core gameplay loop work and keep you moving. Audioshield is nothing in comparison. Best of all, it's got a very smooth ramp-up of difficulty and gradual introduction of new mechanics, so it's very accessible despite this.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Stick100 posted:

FYI the Viveport subscription is on a pretty crazy sale right now. I got 1 Year for $29.99. You get 5 games you can switch every month, so if you took full advantage of it you could get games for 50 cents each. As it happens it doesn't have the best titles but they've got some decent stuff and hopefully the titles on there get updates to be current.

For my first 5 I choose.

Arcade Saga
Cloudlands
Cosmic Trip
Knockout League
Richies Plank Experience

I'm not excited to have to have the Viveport software on my system but it seems like it might be a good way to try out little titles.

I'm thinking of trying this... I'm a little confused on how Viveport works though. Is there something separate you need to install for it? Apparently it's not just a subscription service, you can buy games through it too? Why are some games priced different in Viveport vs. the Steam store?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

GlyphGryph posted:

I would like to propose the perfect VR locomotion style. Forget walk in place - we need to skateboard in place.

Yessss! I need a use for my Wii Balance Board, again.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Ralith posted:

By far the most intense exercise I've ever gotten in VR was Holopoint. It's not pretty, it's not fancy, and it's perhaps a little expensive, but good god does the core gameplay loop work and keep you moving. Audioshield is nothing in comparison. Best of all, it's got a very smooth ramp-up of difficulty and gradual introduction of new mechanics, so it's very accessible despite this.

Do you think this is the best archery game or just the most intense exercise?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Pretty visuals is a tall order in the early days here. You might want to have a look at Obduction though if you haven't already. I thoroughly loved the game, I thought most of its puzzles were fantastic and the world was really enjoyable to discover and explore. I've heard some people having trouble running it smoothly on lower end hardware though so might be something to look out for.

I picked this up as it's on sale during the fall steam sale. It's really pretty and using teleport movement fits really well with the myst vibe.

I am occasionally getting missed frames (on a 1070) but googling it seems to show it even happens on 1080's. It's still totally playable but if anyone has any performance tips specifically for this game I would be happy to hear them.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's been said a thousand times before but man is VR amazing. The drat robot tutorial blew me away. Though coming out of VR gaming feels super weird. Like I'm kinda tripping. Anyone know what I mean? Go away eventually?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's been said a thousand times before but man is VR amazing. The drat robot tutorial blew me away. Though coming out of VR gaming feels super weird. Like I'm kinda tripping. Anyone know what I mean? Go away eventually?

It can be psychological, but it may also be due to the lack of variable eye convergence in headsets available today. Both the Vive and Rift fix your focus to a meter or so in front of you (this can vary, I think Cardboard and PSVR focuses to the horizon/infinity) and force your brain to adjust to this weirdness. It causes visual artifacts too, most noticable when you hold something close to your face and try to focus on it. In reality there's a depth of field effect and everything beyond the object is blurred. In VR, everything stays sharp.

When exiting VR your eyes, the muscles controlling them and your brain have to readjust and it can cause a bit of headspin and fatigue. It's a technological limitation that's still being worked out, but it'll probably take a while as it's a very difficult problem to solve with the technology currently available, requiring advanced optics and displays.

If I'm in for a few hours I still feel a bit weird for a few minutes after exiting, but it's not a big deal. I probably wouldn't drive a car though.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 27, 2017

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Though coming out of VR gaming feels super weird. Like I'm kinda tripping. Anyone know what I mean? Go away eventually?

I used to feel weird for hours afterwards. Now I don't feel any kind of after-effect.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It's not dissimilar I reckon to the effects you get when first driving a car for a long period of time. Your eyes and brain have to focus on multiple aspects at once and this can make you feel fuzzy for a bit once you stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Seashell Salesman posted:

Do you think this is the best archery game or just the most intense exercise?
I haven't played a lot of VR archery games, and "best" is subjective. Other archery games undoubtedly are more realistic, have prettier graphics, support multiplayer, are still being actively developed, etc. etc. Holopoint is great not because it has a bow, but because it's intense, challenging, has a very high skill ceiling with a gentle curve, and has sufficient gameplay variety to hold your interest so long as your skills keep developing.

For comparison, I've almost immediately become bored with every other wave shooter I've tried, be it The Last Hope or Superhot.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 27, 2017