Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Trying to remember the title and author of a really good short story about time travel. An academic type invents a sort of time machine that will allow scientists to view the past, but not travel to it. It turns out that the device is impractical due to limited resolution as you look farther back in time. He then realizes, or has pointed out to him, a rather sinister implication of the technology. He struggles with the damage his machine will do if it falls into the wrong hands, and considers heading that off by putting it into everyone’s hands. I’m being a little bit vague about “the implication” because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who, like me, is too dim to see it coming while reading the story.

Isaac Asimov's short story The Dead Past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Isaac Asimov's short story The Dead Past

That’s the one. Thanks. I had convinced myself it wasn’t Asimov, because I thought I might be conflating it with A Statue for Father.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

SerialKilldeer posted:

1. An economics "textbook" in comic book form. It starts out with a couple of guys on a desert island, and there's a chapter that's basically a long rant about how awful FDR was. (Title was something like "How the economy works and what to do when it doesn't.")
2. Not sure this was even in a book but I might as well ask: a satire of 9/11 conspiracy theories in the form of a dialogue between members of the Bush administration, showing how they'd plan out what conspiracy theorists think actually happened. I remember people repeatedly suggesting ideas for false-flag attacks and Dick Cheney or someone responding with "Nah, that's too simple."

The first one is How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn't by Irwin Schiff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SerialKilldeer posted:

2. Not sure this was even in a book but I might as well ask: a satire of 9/11 conspiracy theories in the form of a dialogue between members of the Bush administration, showing how they'd plan out what conspiracy theorists think actually happened. I remember people repeatedly suggesting ideas for false-flag attacks and Dick Cheney or someone responding with "Nah, that's too simple."
Mitchell and Webb did some shorts like this, try "Mitchell and Webb conspiracy" in YouTube. No 9/11 one though.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

^This wasn't a video, just a theatrical-style script, so that's not it.

e. I found it! It's a chapter in Matt Taibbi's The Great Derangement

IYKK posted:

Thanks! I'd been trying to remember the title and it was bugging me...

SerialKilldeer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 20, 2017

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
1. I read this book as an early teen. It involved a group of teenagers who were either on an island or on the coast somewhere. The group of teenagers were all kids of genius scientist parents. The parents were working on some sort of secret project which I'm fairly sure involved generating power through capturing the force of waves of tides going in and out. The parents were I believe going to harness this technology for idealistic purposes. At the end of the book someone gets murdered and one (or more?) of the teens witnesses it. The twist is that the actual murder is not revealed in the book! I believe it is stated that their face is obscured by pipes or steam or something. I think the book had a phone number or maybe an address you could write to to find out the identity of the murderer.

2. A sci-fi story about a war between humans and an alien society. Humans can't talk to the aliens and a human linguist is working on translating their language. As the linguist learns more about the language they start to get turned towards the alien side. Eventually the linguist realizes that the alien language is itself a weapon that changes the minds of those who make themselves able to understand it.

Editing to add spoiler tags per the request of people farther down the page.

IYKK posted:

I recommend this book to anyone because it's good for a laugh but I do not recommend exposing children to it. It's a piece of libertarian dogma wrapped in a cutesie comic book. It even hates fiat currency!

Grifter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 27, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grifter posted:

2. A sci-fi story about a war between humans and an alien society. Humans can't talk to the aliens and a human linguist is working on translating their language. As the linguist learns more about the language they start to get turned towards the alien side. Eventually the linguist realizes that the alien language is itself a weapon that changes the minds of those who make themselves able to understand it.

Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney? It's very, very good, I strongly recommend it. Don't read the Wikipedia description because it kind of spoils the ending.

Edited for removing spoilers I guess?

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 27, 2017

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delaney? It's very, very good, I strongly recommend it, despite the fact that it hinges on the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis.
Wow, I got a lot of stuff wrong but this cover looks really familiar. I think this is it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grifter posted:

Wow, I got a lot of stuff wrong but this cover looks really familiar. I think this is it.

:woop:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Maybe when looking for the name of books so interesting you want to reread them we could avoid revealing the ending?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

504 posted:

Maybe when looking for the name of books so interesting you want to reread them we could avoid revealing the ending?

Or at least spoiler it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's literally in the first sentence of the Wikipedia description, but okay? :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

No worries, I've forgotten what the spoiler was but I've gotten the ebook so I'll see if I remember when I start reading it :)

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's literally in the first sentence of the Wikipedia description, but okay? :shrug:

Why would anyone be reading the wiki page of a book they didn't know existed?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Grifter posted:

That's also very similar to Arrival which was a short story first

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Retro Futurist posted:

That's also very similar to Arrival which was a short story first
I don't think it's Arrival as I've seen the movie and I don't think that was it. I'm going to read Babel-17 and then I'll know for sure.

504 posted:

I do this routinely, looking through things like lists of award winners for stuff I might be interested in. Most of the time I just read a bit of setup at the beginning and then stop. I will also spoiler that ending though.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

504 posted:

Hey everyone! This guy cares about plot!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

504 posted:

How do you vaguely describe a story without "ruining it", considering the parts most likely to be retained by that faulty slab of meat called your brain are probably the ones that are most notable, and therefore would otherwise be considered spoilers?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you vaguely describe a story without "ruining it", considering the parts most likely to be retained by that faulty slab of meat called your brain are probably the ones that are most notable, and therefore would otherwise be considered spoilers?

Seriously?, where in this thread has someone written something along the lines of "I cant remember anything about it at all except in the end it turns out he was dead the whole time"

I'm not saying spoiler free, that's impossible, but there's a difference between "stuff I remember" and "stuff I remember and explicitly the ending"

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

BgRdMchne posted:

I posted here a few years back, but never got an answer, so I'll try again.

Story about a female dog detective. I think it was in first person. I had it on audiotape in the late eighties/early nineties. I remember the phrase "gray around the muzzle" in it.

This is probably not it but is it Hank the Cowdog? The dog is male, but solves various mysteries around the farm (finding a fox that enters the henhouse, etc). There's a bunch of them and they're children's / YA novels that are really good. I specifically remember listening to the audiotape in the 1990s when I was a kid which is why it makes me think this is it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

du -hast posted:

This is probably not it but is it Hank the Cowdog? The dog is male, but solves various mysteries around the farm (finding a fox that enters the henhouse, etc). There's a bunch of them and they're children's / YA novels that are really good. I specifically remember listening to the audiotape in the 1990s when I was a kid which is why it makes me think this is it.

It definitely wasn’t this. The one I remember is more in the Agatha Christie style of writing and took place either in England or on the East Coast.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I remember once hearing about a Sci-Fi book where a man and a woman are in love, but they end up in the army and get sent to fight in wars hundreds of light years apart. After they finish their tours of duty, they return to Earth to find each other, but because of the distances (which were not the same) they get separated by centuries of time-debt. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Yes! I asked the same question.

I believe at the end of this they actually find each other again despite the time displacement stuff, but it still sounds like what you’re looking for.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Sanford posted:

Yes! I asked the same question.

I believe at the end of this they actually find each other again despite the time displacement stuff, but it still sounds like what you’re looking for.

Wow, that was a fast reply. Thank you!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Nebrilos posted:

Wow, that was a fast reply. Thank you!

It’s a genre classic, one of the all-time greats. Read it soon

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

navyjack posted:

It’s a genre classic, one of the all-time greats. Read it soon

It should probably just be in the OP, by now.

Q: I read a story about some time travelers, and they were in love, but traveling at different speeds caused them to age at different rates or something... ?
A: The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman

Q: I remember a book about a space soldier, and the guy loses a leg or something, but by the time they get him somewhere for medical treatment, they have the technology to grow him a new leg. Does anyone know what this is?

Q: I once read a story about how in the future everyone is gay and it's illegal to be straight. I really need to read this again so I am ready for the future we're going to be facing now that gay people are allowed to get married thanks to the libtards.

Q: I read an allegory about the Vietnam War, where we were breeding babies in test tubes to fight aliens for like a thousand years or something. Help?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

It should probably just be in the OP, by now.

Q: I read a story about some time travelers, and they were in love, but traveling at different speeds caused them to age at different rates or something... ?

Q: I remember a book about a space soldier, and the guy loses a leg or something, but by the time they get him somewhere for medical treatment, they have the technology to grow him a new leg. Does anyone know what this is?

Q: I once read a story about how in the future everyone is gay and it's illegal to be straight. I really need to read this again so I am ready for the future we're going to be facing now that gay people are allowed to get married thanks to the libtards.

Q: I read an allegory about the Vietnam War, where we were breeding babies in test tubes to fight aliens for like a thousand years or something. Help?

There really is so much going on in that book. I need to read it again.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

To be fair Kimball Kinnison went a fair bit beyond this in Grey Lensman, decades earlier.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

navyjack posted:

There is a lot going on in that book. Even with all the criticisms against it, it's spent over four decades on practically every "must read" list of science fiction stories, and for good reason.

Resident Idiot posted:

To be fair Kimball Kinnison went a fair bit beyond this in Grey Lensman, decades earlier.

I'd be willing to bet the answer to any question asked in this thread is more likely to be "Joe Haldeman" than "Doc Smith" by at least a couple orders of magnitude.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

navyjack posted:

It's almost like, to describe everything in the book, would take you forever

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

A human heart posted:

It's almost like, to describe everything in the book, would take you forever

:aaa:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A short story about a civilization that discovers they are inside a man's dream. They send an expedition to turn off the man's alarm clock so they can continue existing a bit longer. Mainly I remember this as an animated short.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Added Space posted:

A short story about a civilization that discovers they are inside a man's dream. They send an expedition to turn off the man's alarm clock so they can continue existing a bit longer. Mainly I remember this as an animated short.

I know what you're talking about! For some reason I think it's a French short.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It was a scifi novel about human explorers on some planet, they were exploring a massive Great Wall of China-like wall that aliens had built as a courting ritual (like a bower bird). The native alien scout they have along with them has a crush on one of the scientists.

I have no more details, sorry. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

It was a scifi novel about human explorers on some planet, they were exploring a massive Great Wall of China-like wall that aliens had built as a courting ritual (like a bower bird). The native alien scout they have along with them has a crush on one of the scientists.

I have no more details, sorry. :(
Dunno about the wall but this sounds like Uncharted Territory by Connie Willis.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anilEhilated posted:

Dunno about the wall but this sounds like Uncharted Territory by Connie Willis.

No. loving. Way.

:worship:

Are walls not a thing in that? I dunno, I read it when I was like 13 or 14.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

No. loving. Way.

:worship:

Are walls not a thing in that? I dunno, I read it when I was like 13 or 14.

One of the best things about this thread is how one person will post a detailed breakdown of some story, complete with character arcs and settings, and no one will have any idea what he's talking about, then someone else will post, "I read a book once about a kid, and he did this thing with his hand, and I think he lived on Earth," and someone will slam down an answer in fifteen seconds flat.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

One of the best things about this thread is how one person will post a detailed breakdown of some story, complete with character arcs and settings, and no one will have any idea what he's talking about, then someone else will post, "I read a book once about a kid, and he did this thing with his hand, and I think he lived on Earth," and someone will slam down an answer in fifteen seconds flat.

The best one of these was the one like "the cover is a guy cowering behind crystals I think?"

In the general vein of "I remember nothing" .....

I am pretty sure I am conflating two books here. They/it are pulp sci-fi, definitely pre 1995, and more likely 80s or prior.

- Ancient Egyptian gods figure at least semi-prominently, especially Anubis (and specifically Anubis lingering all emo in a black temple somewhere, but don't get distracted by this)

- "Wolf" a thing, but not like....actual wolves I don't think. Maybe the main character or the title of the book? :iiam:

- Tiny silver hammers (definitely not thinking of Neverending Story, FYI)

- Female prostitutes who have leased out the lower halves of their bodies to be oracles, and if you make them orgasm, you get your prophecy (pretty sure the main character does the whole "can I help you?" thing, and it frees her)

- Eight people get put into....stasis baths but their minds are linked and they control giant spiders which go around doing things, and the main character gets into one and eventually is like "it's totally cool to be an eight-minded organism and now I can act as a semi-autonomous agent because I have accepted that." The people in his spider come from different backgrounds.

I feel like I may have asked this before, so as soon as I post I'm gonna hit that "previous post" button to check. (ok checked, and I have not asked this already lol)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could one be Otherland? It's got Egyptian gods, IIRC there's an Anubis stand-in that fits your description, it's got minds uploaded into VR and there are giant bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

And a whole bunch of Wizard of Oz stuff, which could explain the hammers?