Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Williams tying themselves in knots trying to find an excuse for Lance being extremely bad so daddy doesn't take his money away is p. funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I can think of a few reasons.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
If Stroll is as bad next year then they have to give him the boot regardless of the money if they still want to pretend that they are an acutal vaguely in contention team.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Only foreigners like KFC

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They should take all of his money and mount a serious challenge for 2019.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I only like a Junior Spesh from SFC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6pbZLiLt30

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lance Stroll, much like today's posting, is incredibly bad

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Sad thing is today's posting's been fast too

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

They should take all of his money and mount a serious challenge for 2019.

I wouldn’t call Chloe a “serious challenge.”

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wouldn’t worry that much about Williams if they dump Stroll. The very rich are an odd, ruthless bunch, especially when it comes to their own kids loving up or making them look silly.

The last thing billionaires want is other billionaires laughing at them.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Norns posted:

Lance Stroll, much like today's posting, is incredibly bad

Lance Stroll is good, friend.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The Williams family are well-off but definitely not billionaires. Claire was always the better choice as the son wasn't really into it until he came back and took something up that he enjoyed doing.

Frank also went out of his way to not just hand the reins to Claire and had her working in the marketing/PR department for a while to see if she's up to the task and to prove to those around the team that she's actually a worthy successor and it wasn't just a very clear and dry case of nepotism for someone who may not even be capable of the task.

At some point when you're operating a racing team you have to realize that all the money that a driver brings in is not worth it when the on track performance is not there. You are losing far more in the long term by having a poo poo yet rich driver vs a good/great one in that car instead. See: Maldonado, Pastor. (who would be a massive step up from Stroll)

It's amazing. Trump has made George Bush look like a saint and now Stroll is making Maldonado look like one, too.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Having a lovely driver funding the team is only worthwhile if you have another driver who has the skills to turn that money into success on the track. This could all work out if Kubica still has those skills, but if he's just another post-accident shadow of his former self like Massa they've got to be really careful about their future plans

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Stroll already has a podium after 20 starts, Maldonado only managed a single one after nearly a hundred so Lance is objectively 5 times the driver Maldonado ever was.

If you don't agree with this you're anti-science

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bryter posted:

Stroll already has a podium after 20 starts, Maldonado only managed a single one after nearly a hundred so Lance is objectively 5 times the driver Maldonado ever was.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Thiago Montiero only took 9 races to get a podium. Science!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Having a lovely driver funding the team is only worthwhile if you have another driver who has the skills to turn that money into success on the track. This could all work out if Kubica still has those skills, but if he's just another post-accident shadow of his former self like Massa they've got to be really careful about their future plans

Agreed.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Replace the current f1 logo with this:

Everything will be better.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Replace the current f1 logo with this:

Everything will be better.

Thats a great logo.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

track day bro! posted:

Thats a great logo.

For a clowncar to wear

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

For a clowncar to wear

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

For a clowncar to wear

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

I’ve been seeing the new logo in my Twitter feed a lot today and I can confirm that it’s good.

Wicka likes the logo so I can confirm that it's bad

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

They have an ad firm called Wieden and Kennedy, loving lol try reading sometime.

Yes. Marketing teams will often use ad agencies, depending on the requirements of the project.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You guys know that unless you're a huge loving company these ad firms are these company's marketing teams right?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tsaedje posted:

For a clowncar to wear

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You guys know that unless you're a huge loving company these ad firms are these company's marketing teams right?

You know that FOM literally has their own marketing team, right? This isn’t up for debate, it is a proven fact. We know their loving names.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

The new F1 logo looks like hot poo poo. Like the kind of poo poo that makes you want to take a shower afterword.

I like speedy racecars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Vrooommm

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wirth1000 posted:

The Williams family are well-off but definitely not billionaires. Claire was always the better choice as the son wasn't really into it until he came back and took something up that he enjoyed doing.

Frank also went out of his way to not just hand the reins to Claire and had her working in the marketing/PR department for a while to see if she's up to the task and to prove to those around the team that she's actually a worthy successor and it wasn't just a very clear and dry case of nepotism for someone who may not even be capable of the task.

At some point when you're operating a racing team you have to realize that all the money that a driver brings in is not worth it when the on track performance is not there. You are losing far more in the long term by having a poo poo yet rich driver vs a good/great one in that car instead. See: Maldonado, Pastor. (who would be a massive step up from Stroll)

It's amazing. Trump has made George Bush look like a saint and now Stroll is making Maldonado look like one, too.

The billionaires thing was about the Stroll family, you GP2 brain.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

You know that FOM literally has their own marketing team, right? This isn’t up for debate, it is a proven fact. We know their loving names.

You're wrong. It's like two people max.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You're wrong. It's like two people max.

Tell what happened to make you this way so I can avoid it

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bryter posted:

This can only be determined if Stroll makes it to nearly a hundred races too he won’t.

If this turns out to be his only podium in 100 races he just “peaked” sooner than Maldonado did.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Tell what happened to make you this way so I can avoid it

I operate in reality, so don't worry friend it'll never happen to you.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

The logo looks OK, except for this...

Khablam posted:

They made the new logo to make the "digital" marketing better.
Only, when you look at it at a reduced size (read: every way of seeing it on mobile) it just looks like the letter n

It's objectively poor. Not that it actually matters all too much, but it is.

But it doesn't bother me. What actually looks like junk is the space-typewriter font they tossed below it. Not only is it fugly on its own, but it really really doesn't go with the logo.

I have a KFC up the street from me, and when the wind blows south, we can smell it down the whole street. I haven't had it in like 10 years though, because most of the KFCs in the city (ironically not that one) are squeezed in with a Taco Bell and I'm not getting fuckin KFC when I can get tacos.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is an odd hill on which people are choosing to die.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'll die on any hill, idgaf anymore.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

1500quidporsche posted:

I'll die on any hill, idgaf anymore.

— Lance Stroll, 2018

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-