Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

Someone code something that automatically skips all code-related posts in this thread.

Then hide the whole thing behind a coded message

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

thatguy posted:

Someone code something that automatically skips all code-related posts in this thread.

Please. Or are you all just writers and no coders ?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Wuxi posted:

Then hide the whole thing behind a coded message
Is this what MoMA was trying to tell us?

We should have listened.
:negative:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

TBH, I'm just pissed Derek gets away with his tirades, and I got probd for saying I hoped MoMA's dick dropped off....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn't even report it - I laughed because that would take some serious poo poo for my dick to just fall off; I would probably look down and just laugh in wonder.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey, I'm as much a goon as anyone here. I'm extra goon since I see the cool platinum messages too.

Phoning it in today?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

thatguy posted:

Does this look good? Is it too big? Should I give it a colored background instead of transparent so that the letters are less pixelated?

Both of these are cool and good. Maybe next time we hit a lull between Derek and the Thread arguing about who can gently caress themselves first we can put it to a vote or whatever, and all you guys getting coal for Christmas can pick the "official" tag.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

First, like the schizo you've proven yourself to be, you're a liar. I have only ever made THREE comments on your lovely channel. And I have all 3 of them; two of which you mod-deleted.

In fact, I just checked my YT comment history. Yup. Three. That's it. And you lost your balls after the 3rd (the one about the Amazon dev).

You're a poor excuse for a scumbag. Just GTFO. We only encourage genuine scumbags (like MoMa) around here. This isn't Reddit. Pack up your poo poo, and leave. If I keep seeing your poo poo excerpted, I'm going to write a blog like I did with the INN guys which caused their implosion mere weeks later.

Go gently caress yourself.

I'm not a scumbag just because you dislike me. BTW, how come you haven't written a blog about me yet?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

"Theory crafting makes for a good game."

"Theory crafting can indeed make a good game"

This is the fuel SC runs on.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I didn't even report it - I laughed because that would take some serious poo poo for my dick to just fall off; I would probably look down and just laugh in wonder.
This happens all the time. It's detachable.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

how come you haven't written a blog about me yet?

Why would anyone, even Derek, write anything about you? You're a side amusement, in a niche thread, on a dead gay comedy forum.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Scrum is such a textbook example of cargo cult methodology that it's almost comical. Agile is what everyone claims to be, but very often it's old fashioned milestone-based development being dressed up in sprints, story points, retrospectives and soulcrushingly misunderstood standups. There is just the right amount of alibi for making vague, optimistic planning, and sprints plus standups are a perfect vehicle for guilt tripping developers into crunchmode. Agile is great when it is followed in letter and spirit, but too often the latter is missing. It's a fantastic window dressing for bad management, though. "You don't like how things are done here? Don't you like agile? That's what everyone uses, punk. What's the alternative? Waterfall? Anarchy?".

CIG is agile. They have Chris at the helm, bravely making visionary and essential changes in direction and focus, keeping an eye on aesthetics, making sure development doesn't get mired up in details. This is good for Star Citizen.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

thatguy posted:

Someone's looking to be replaced with a script.

Edit:

PederP posted:

Scrum is such a textbook example of cargo cult methodology that it's almost comical. Agile is what everyone claims to be, but very often it's old fashioned milestone-based development being dressed up in sprints, story points, retrospectives and soulcrushingly misunderstood standups.

You have to have had some engineering or process background to understand what Agile was trying to do, then understand that it's entirely misapplied by almost everyone because there's a cherry-picking, and not a large amount of normalizing of deviance around defining what the people making the decisions about the process are looking to hide. Yeah, it's mostly bullshit, but there are very specific reasons for creating narratives (extreme programming), story points and an overall goal, but they usually miss the messy 'we're gonna work things out' and end up sitting on one person's lap.

I sat in a meeting a couple of weeks ago where three people described the same problem differently, then were overrode by their boss who described a fourth thing. That's a massive failure in alignment, and no amount of agile can get around the blind men and the elephant. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant)

Opinion ahead, beware; I suspect that a lot of this has had to do with a culture of acceptance rather than actually using a test-driven system where the _design starts with the tests_. There's a lot of mis-interpretation of 'agile' as 'not loving planning', or 'just making things work' that's beginning to bring out a lot of technical debt. However, I have been doing the equivalent of archeological forensic programming for the best part of a couple of decades.

I'd suggest that we get more celebrity driven than cargo-cult, though. Because 'X' recommends something doesn't mean that it's _right_, but there's just acceptance rather than testing. Case in point, we ignore vendor claims when it comes to performance for network devices and instead test them ourselves.

Again, opinion.

XK posted:

You can't really do agile unless your interfaces are tightly defined, otherwise you end up with tentacles all over the place and tightly coupled code.

This.

And I'm shutting up about the day job now.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 27, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey guys. I finally decoded the MOMA thing today when I got back into the office.
Since you guys probably don't give a poo poo what it said I spoilered it in case you want to scroll right on by.

I wasn't home at the time I posted the previous response. So I was saving the best for last. As I was driving home, I kept thinking of all the things I wanted to say to you.

First, I want to thank the Heavenly Father for continuing to show you loving heathens that the only true religion is one that is led by divine order, not some clueless moron born of man.

Second, I would like to thank the Goon (on my Discord) who bought you a $10 account so you could step out of your safe space and into the real digital world where you have no powa.

Oh, FYI, Goons buy accounts for fresh meat all the time. Paying 10 bux doesn't make you a Goon. It makes you a dumb gently caress who got roped into posting at the one place where everyone eats their young, and for good measure, even the old ladies, during a slow week. See: MoMa

I am also happy that you were dumb (I told you to take your meds, right?) enough to post this regurgitated vomit that's devoid of any logic (yeah, yeah, I know, Shitizens are as dumb as a bag of strap-on dildos in the bargain bin at a strip mall; but I digress) - at all.

Here's the thing. You and your turd-brained poo poo gargling girlfriends, ARE the reason that we're here, and the reason that the entire community is polarized.

The fact that you - and your circle jerk buddies - are still singing this "Oh you!!" mantra, is testament to the fact that you're all a bunch of completely broken gently caress sticks, bereft of anything resembling decent human beings worthy of being in society, let alone among normal people.

If your excuse for behaving the way that you have for the past years is because one POSITIVELY INSANE, AUTISTIC & CRANKY OLD GAME DEV wrote a loving blog (like nobody ever did that before, you see), then it makes the most sense that you all continued to give money to a bona fide scam artist who has all but poo poo in an ice cooler and passed it around so that you all can get the experience of what the turd from the guy you all made a millionaire, smells like.

In July 2015, I wrote the infamous "July Blog". In it, I said the game as pitched couldn't be made because Chris Roberts had extended the scope beyond the capabilities of the tech, the team, and the money.

They responded (at the behest of Sandi Gardiner & Ben Lesnick, according to my sources) by lying about why they kicked out my account and refunded me.

We now know - without a doubt - that the only reason why a multi-millionaire corp, led by a hapless wannabe visionary who has busted every loving project/company he ever touched, would even bother to respond to what many at the time believed to be the rantings of a "jealous" developer, is if there was SOME fact to what was written.

I have spent almost THREE loving DECADES building massive and complex games in the genre. Every loving tech you could possibly think of putting in a space/planetary combat game, I've either developed, or prototyped. And there is NOTHING in Star Citizen that's remotely revolutionary, groundbreaking, or original. Sure, my games aren't popular, they're not blockbusters, and they don't cater to a large audience. But so loving what? Anyone who knows my history, knows that I never - ever - set out to do that, or I would have changed course. A group of people keep buying the games that I make, so I kept making them. Audience size and revenue are irrelevant if you can make enough money to pay your bills and develop the games you want to develop. That's what an indie is. That's who I am, always was, and always will be.

Heck, just for the sheer fun of it, I just spent two loving weeks working on and releasing (on Thanksgiving Day, no less) a patch for a game I loving released in 2008, and which sold less than 100 copies in the past quarter. Why? Because I loving can, and because for me, it's fun, and it's what I do. I don't need a financial incentive as the primary reason for making games.

You loving retards attacking me and my games, doesn't loving faze me one bit. It's certainly not going to make Star Citizen a better, let alone a released, game.

Unlike you single testicled nut jobs, I put my money where my mouth is by actually paying attorneys in order to seek accountability for myself and the backers.

And then, even as they over-played their hand, they took it one step further by accusing me of stalking and harassment, even though there was no basis in fact, let alone in law, for it. Once again, I paid attorneys to give Ortwin, the other part of the scam, the redress his incompetent rear end was dying for.

Then The Escapist ended up doing an article in which other sources pretty much confirmed everything that I had been saying. Again, Chris over-played his hand by writing a kindergarten level diatribe in which he mentioned me over 5 dozen times - despite the fact that I had NOTHING to do with The Escapist article (which didn't even mention me).

And during all this time, 2 of the 3 things (financial accounting, dev schedule, refunds for those who are) that I asked for in my 2015 legal action, and which CIG was fighting against, ended up happening anyway. Why? Because it was the right loving call, and I knew it from the start.

Aside from all that, I had said that without the tech, the team, the money (at least $150M, they couldn't possibly build the loving game. That was 2.5 loving years ago. So far, I made that claim at around $75M. It's now $165M and it's not even out of pre-Alpha. And all the experienced people have since left, leaving mostly incompetent yes-men who are either just pulling a pay check, or towing the line.

When in 2016 they ended up switching engines (I wrote a whole loving blog about why that was BAD, not good) - without saying a loving thing about it beforehand - I said it was a loving waste of time because there is NO ENGINE on the planet that could build THAT game, most of you degenerate latte-sipping drama junkies, continued to attack me, while trying to theory-craft your way off an iceberg - even as Chris Roberts and his gang of fuckups, continued to PROVE ME RIGHT.

I'm not even going to mention the fact that I said SQ42 wasn't coming out in 2016. Again, I got attacked. CIG went on the record that it was totally, definitely coming out - pledge moah.

Then it didn't.

And I said that twice (for 2016 and 2017) because that's what sources said.

Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, back in Q4/2016 when I said that sources told me 3.0 didn't loving exist when Chris said it did - again, I got incessantly attacked. I thought "Fine. gently caress 'em; they'll see soon enough". So I spent a whole loving year documenting The Road To 3.0 timeline because I knew that, as these things go, you dumb-rear end schoolyard bullies are keen on revisionist history.

At the height of the 3.0 frenzy, I again wrote that sources said the entire dev schedule unveiled in April 2017, was pure and utter bullshit, and didn't reflect the internal schedule. Again, you glue huffing pinheads attacked me. Then slowly and slowly, this turned out to be true; and to the extent that it wasn't even a month ago that items started disappearing from the schedule, even though they never even appeared (as fixed or otherwise) in the schedule. Now, with the latest, NONE of that is even in the schedule.

But wait! There's more!

Through this whole time, I kept writing that 3.0 wasn't even ready for Evocati, that sources said it needed at least 6 months, that any earlier release would be a loving disaster (which we are now witnessing), and that it was a ploy for the CitizenCon shindig etc. Ignoring the fact that it was over a month ago, it conveniently got released - ahead of a sale - with loving obvious bugs which were either 1) already reported or 2) not even logged, thus providing ample evidence that even the special needs Evocati coffee-mainlining turd heaps who kept pretending that everything was OK and covering for CIG, were busy stroking their yogurt encrusted boners, having been let into the sekret club, instead of playing the loving game and helping to fix it. Which, considering that it was a pile of unplayable poo poo (just as I'd written), makes sense because ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

As of today, the loving project is a dumpster fire, and is completely FUBAR. And we're not even talking about it being pre-Alpha; but the fact that 6 years + $165m later, they don't even have a loving CompSci project, let alone a vertical slice of EITHER game.

Any one of you boot-licking Trumpettes who would look at this loving schedule of promises, and think "Yeah, they're totally going to make that game" deserves to be fleeced of everything you have.

Since you are one of those broken-brained rear end-clowns, I have no loving reason to believe that you have fully divested yourself from the project, or you wouldn't be wishy-washy about it, let alone still making loving videos while acting all shocked as if you only just now discovered a dime size hole in your Strawberry flavored condom.

Like others who hide behind the confines of anonymity while taking potshots at people like me, somehow you think that we're just going to forget about all the poo poo that you peanut-basted fruitcakes have been doing this whole time. My one regret is that I wrote enough, with sufficient evidence, for you guys to get a refund. I would very much have liked for you all to go down with the ship in the impending final days that are now playing out.

Go gently caress yourself. You're all a bunch of...

ps: I found the evidence (1, 2) of your meltdown over the Amazon dev interview which I essentially killed. Again, unlike you guys, my version of reality is the real one.

pps: You are now on my block list as I have nothing further to say to you.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/934864572267278336
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/935053155578064896
https://twitter.com/dawnofevil/status/935181261508923392
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/935159434006941701

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

G0RF posted:

It didn’t occur to me until later that the lower your prediction, the higher your estimation of backer intelligence and CIG trustworthiness. In light of that, Peter Gabriel once again wins the thread.

I said at least 5, but I'm not in the list. Not feeling very welcome right now.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

PederP posted:

CIG is agile. They have Chris at the helm, bravely making visionary and essential changes in direction and focus, keeping an eye on aesthetics, making sure development doesn't get mired up in details. This is good for Star Citizen.

You can't really do agile unless your interfaces are tightly defined, otherwise you end up with tentacles all over the place and tightly coupled code.

It's self-evident CIG hasn't thought through their interfaces, because they clearly haven't even worked out the systems any interface would be applied to.

Agile in an environment without a defined framework only results in a nightmare mess of code.

You just get hack on top of hack.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

ManofManyAliases posted:

perhaps your dick belt was on too tight?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

XK posted:

Agile in an environment without a defined framework only results in a nightmare mess of code.

You just get hack on top of hack.

I don't see anything here which doesn't indicate CIG are fully Agile.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/RadioHorizon42/status/934036711046369280
https://twitter.com/RadioHorizon42/status/935110054063366145
https://twitter.com/RadioHorizon42/status/931201984987844608

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

If you go gently caress yourself a good time, get a refund and come back, you should be welcomed as you deserve : by a good old-fashioned go gently caress yourself post.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I welcome your posts when its not "gently caress you all" stuff. Its honestly nice seeing a different opinion from someone with semitough skin.

This thread is very quickly becoming just as lovely as the sc reddit though. It needs to turn around.

Goons gonna goon.

Rantista
Oct 20, 2017

Aramoro posted:

That's actually a pretty perfect example of what I was talking about. That code can run up to 6 times faster sorted vs unsorted depending on your processor. Trying to optimise code based on what you think the underlying architecture will do is a very difficult task.

I just did it on Java and got this

Sorted

sum = 155184200000

Unsorted

sum = 155184200000

That's on an i7-4790. Also why is your computer so slow?

It was a PI3 (with -O3 it went down to 19secs), now on a bit faster CPU - Xeon E3-1265L and optimized with -O3:

Sorted

sum = 314931600000

Unsorted

sum = 314931600000

Unsorted is even faster :-) Here is the command to compile: g++ -O3 test.cpp -o test.out

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Aramoro posted:

I don't see anything here which doesn't indicate CIG are fully Agile.

CIG is clearly Agile. Agile without tight direction is basically what every new programmer is, just smooshing poo poo together until it works.

That's pretty much the crobbler design paradigm. It works when you're a CS student writing a quicksort the night before it's due, not so much when running a multi-million dollar project with international studios.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Hawaii State Representative Chris Lee: ”We didn’t allow Joe Camel to encourage our kids to smoke. We shouldn’t allow Star Wars to encourage your kids to gamble... This game is a Star Wars themed casino.”

Chris Roberts is probably pinching himself right now. His funding model is no less rapacious and exploitative and no more defensible. He’s courting and fleecing dopamine-trigger junkies shamelessly and systematically and has been for years. Including “that’s him in the wheelchair” kids. His risk/reward curve is absolutely atrocious compared to the fine-tuned, easily adjusted loot-o-nomics of AAA Gaming.

“...if I throw $1000 at this today, there’s a chance I might, might get to play a lovely, tedious parody of Elite with a craptastic FPS experience bolted atop it in my lifetime...”

Since Chris IS the risk in CIG’s risk/reward curve, and he is beyond the control of anyone least of all himself, it’s long-shot gambling in the truest since of the word. But Star Citizen doesn’t have loot boxes it has “concept sales”. It doesn’t have Star Wars, just an inbred descendent of Wing Commander and Freelancer. He’s no less deserving of judgment, just too shambolic and misshapen to look good as a trophy on some congressional justice hunter’s wall...

ManofManyAliases posted:

You are the wasabi of the thread and always welcomed in my book. But only $5 million? What’s that all about, Moma?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I found a few books and discovered that programming is complicated, but at this point he's should JUST CODE.

I'm not really an accomplished programmer like everyone else who gave advice, but I went all in for a while at uni as part of my engineering education with the goal of getting a double degree because I thought very highly of myself, apparently. I sort of expected everyone to recommend C, hands down. There's an endless amount of resources online, and learning the ins and outs of creating functions and all that jazz from the ground up helped me later on when I ran into languages with libraries. I haven't coded at all the past few years, but I remember going into Python after C and it was so easy to learn having learned a bunch of C before. I was going to learn Java and barely got started before I realized I'm an actual dumbass and that I apparently needed to sleep at night, so I ditched the double degree idea.

That's my story.

TL;DR A shitload of rambling. Start with C, use the endless resources available online and otherwise. Code code code code. Then code some more.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Hawaii State Representative Chris Lee: ”We didn’t allow Joe Camel to encourage our kids to smoke. We shouldn’t allow Star Wars to encourage your kids to gamble... This game is a Star Wars themed casino.”

Complete aside, but it shows that they're paying attention to the games industry.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

G0RF posted:

I've been wondering how this was going to impact everything if it goes anywhere.

Every game company is going to be looking at EA like "Thanks for ruining it you loving cunts!", if EA goes down in history as the reason the government starts regulating the gaming industry.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mangoose posted:

TL;DR A shitload of rambling. Start with C, use the endless resources available online and otherwise. Code code code code. Then code some more.

Counter-point: Don't start with C, it's a lot harder than things like Python and doesnt teach you anything massively useful if you're going to be using a high level programming language.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts is probably pinching himself right now. His funding model is no less rapacious and exploitative and no more defensible. He’s courting and fleecing dopamine-trigger junkies shamelessly and systematically and has been for years. Including “that’s him in the wheelchair” kids. His risk/reward curve is absolutely atrocious compared to the fine-tuned, easily adjusted loot-o-nomics of AAA Gaming.

“...if I throw $1000 at this today, there’s a chance I might, might get to play a lovely, tedious parody of Elite with a craptastic FPS experience bolted atop it in my lifetime...”

Since Chris IS the risk in CIG’s risk/reward curve, and he is beyond the control of anyone least of all himself, it’s long-shot gambling in the truest since of the word. But Star Citizen doesn’t have loot boxes it has “concept sales”. It doesn’t have Star Wars, just an inbred descendent of Wing Commander and Freelancer. He’s no less deserving of judgment, just too shambolic and misshapen to look good as a trophy on some congressional justice hunter’s wall...

You are the wasabi of the thread and always welcomed in my book. But only $5 million? What’s that all about, Moma?

I actually think Star Citizen's overt Pay to Win scheme works in their benefit here, weirdly. Because there's no "gambling" aspect, really. You pay $2500 for a ship and you get the expectation that it will be able to kill any other ship in the game. Until such time as the game comes out and that ship exists (read: never) that promise can never be disproven, and even then the way that they sell them they still fall under the umbrella of "Well you paid for a Javelin and you got one."

Crobbler's Archering of phone game and f2p mechanics is what's going to save him in the end. Unless of course they implement some kind of lootbox thing, which they almost definitely will because they're an incredibly perfect mixture of completely tonedeaf and cartoon-villain style greedy.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

FailureToReport posted:

I've been wondering how this was going to impact everything if it goes anywhere.

Every game company is going to be looking at EA like "Thanks for ruining it you loving cunts!", if EA goes down in history as the reason the government starts regulating the gaming industry.

Everyone needs to get on board with cosmetic only loot boxes also being complete poo poo. They were given a pass only as a concession toward not monetizing functional items. That line has been breached, the concession is no longer valid.

All loot boxes are cancer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

The sale is still on, treat yourself.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FailureToReport posted:

It's less regulating and more raising some income revenue from the practice; an inevitability that manages to pre-date the amusing tale of another kid that got into the microtransactions in a big way.

A mildly interesting observation; TV advertising in the US is largely geared around upselling prescription drugs to the consumers. In the UK, it appears to be largely based around gambling opportunities.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Star Citizen can't be considered gambling- gambling gives the opportunity for a return on a principal amount. SC jpegs are a pure loss.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hav posted:

A mildly interesting observation; TV advertising in the US is largely geared around upselling prescription drugs to the consumers. In the UK, it appears to be largely based around gambling opportunities.

Gambling commercials are worse, by far.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Aramoro posted:

Counter-point: Don't start with C, it's a lot harder than things like Python and doesnt teach you anything massively useful if you're going to be using a high level programming language.

How DARE you offer a different opinion than my probably lovely one

Maybe I'm partial to it because I spent a billion hours coding in MatLab, I forgot about that part while I was old man rambling into the internet text box on the computer tv with my board of letter buttons

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I am pretty sure that in most businesses, improving some code to have it run 1% faster is going to get you attention/raise/promotion.
And will put you in the permanent dog house with the resident senior code monkey.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hav posted:

How can it be different ? UK is a puppet state of the US since 1943.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Beet Wagon posted:

I actually think Star Citizen's overt Pay to Win scheme works in their benefit here, weirdly. Because there's no "gambling" aspect, really. You pay $2500 for a ship and you get the expectation that it will be able to kill any other ship in the game. Until such time as the game comes out and that ship exists (read: never) that promise can never be disproven, and even then the way that they sell them they still fall under the umbrella of "Well you paid for a Javelin and you got one."

Crobbler's Archering of phone game and f2p mechanics is what's going to save him in the end. Unless of course they implement some kind of lootbox thing, which they almost definitely will because they're an incredibly perfect mixture of completely tonedeaf and cartoon-villain style greedy.

It's the same with Elite's micro transactions as in you get what you pay for. You buy a ship kit or ship skin and you get exactly what you paid for delivered in game. No loot boxes, etc.. My main argument is that some of the ship customization stuff should be locked behind in game achievements such as playing CQC to unlock a basic nameplate or getting ranked based skins/nameplates as a reward for reaching Elite in something. Then have premium designs behind a paywall. Between premium beta and ship skins I've spent $200 on Elite. Given the number of hours I have in it over the past 3 years that still works out to be a decent deal.

And 2018 may be interesting if they add guild mechanics next year, which is something I thought they never would, as well as add group/wing missions, etc..

Thing about Elite is that its fundamentals work reasonably well as on a technical level. It's not perfect nor bug free by any stretch, but it's functional. Where Frontier has fallen short is that things aren't as good as they could be and often times has felt tacked on. It's interesting to note that over the last year there has been a lot of patch notes along the lines of "Lots of stuff changed under the hood" which tells me they want to do more, but coded themselves into corner in many areas and they've been redoing a lot of the back end for next year's beyond expansion.

It maybe interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lladre posted:

I am pretty sure that in most businesses, improving some code to have it run 1% faster is going to get you attention/raise/promotion.
And will put you in the permanent dog house with the resident senior code monkey.

:lol: no

Unless you're coding for a bot that makes microsecond trades on a direct line to a stock exchange, nobody is going to care.