Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Bear in mind that even if you're a leftist you can still buy all the guns you want, and you probably should after getting the appropriate training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

I think the line from loving over net neutrality to stealing elections is a long, tenuous and tortured one. Dismantling net neutrality is all about letting telecom megacorporations get their return on investment for shoveling money into politicians. It's not the GOP trying to subvert democracy.

Granted, they're doing that in a lot of ways I just don't think this is one of them.

True they've been working on voter suppression and election steal since before Net Neutrality became an issue.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

socialsecurity posted:

True they've been working on voter suppression and election steal since before Net Neutrality became an issue.

Yeah but you see, voter suppression is baked in to democracy

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kilroy posted:

Bear in mind that even if you're a leftist you can still buy all the guns you want, and you probably should after getting the appropriate training.

A failure to own at least one AK pattern rifle is indicative of a lack of revolutionary vigor.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

Yeah but you see, voter suppression is baked in to democracy

To the point that IF a democracy has 100% participation, we assume it's actually an autocracy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chilichimp posted:

To the point that IF a democracy has 100% participation, we assume it's actually an autocracy.
In any free state there is always at least one eligible voter too drunk to vote.

If you can't get so smashed you forget about democracy you don't live in a democracy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In any free state there is always at least one eligible voter too drunk to vote.

If you can't get so smashed you forget about democracy you don't live in a democracy.

:patriot: :australia:

Republicans posted:

I doubt that much but I'm sure we'll be paying more for worse service.

You can see that already with television channels, a lot of them have poo poo that you don't watch baked in that bump up the cost by 30%.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Office Pig posted:

The democrats would never do any such thing.

Has something not being likely or even possible ever been a particular barrier to Republicans being afraid of it?

bird food bathtub posted:

I think the line from loving over net neutrality to stealing elections is a long, tenuous and tortured one. Dismantling net neutrality is all about letting telecom megacorporations get their return on investment for shoveling money into politicians. It's not the GOP trying to subvert democracy.

Granted, they're doing that in a lot of ways I just don't think this is one of them.

This would be more comforting if you're second sentence didn't immediately invalidate your first, since it simply posits that stealing elections will be the immediate and natural result should the telecoms ever see doing so giving them a "return on investment".

Like I agree, I don't think that this is part of their plot to subvert democracy, it's part of their plot to let their allies take over and make loads of money and get loads of power. Just like the media deregulation in the 90s. I don't think subverting democracy was the intent - it's just the natural byproduct.

BrandorKP posted:

What is the material thing in the world that allows for neo-liberalism? When they set up the systems after the war, what's the first one they set up? When one is critical of this ideology, that pushes for more and freer movement of capital, people, and goods, if that critque does not seem to fit the systems that allows for the movement of goods... then there is a problem with the critque. But blow me off if you want.

The problem isn't me blowing you off. It's a fundamental disconnect between the things you claim to be trying to say and the things you are actually saying.

Seriously, dude, introspect a little bit. Work on fitting your arguments into the conversation actually being had, try to understand the things people are saying and then say things that make sense. That's all I'm asking. I'm not blowing you off - you are just not saying things that actually cohere, so there's nothing I can get out of them without a tortured and mangled hypothetical interpretation that might have nothing to do with whatever it is you are aiming for.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rent-A-Cop posted:

A failure to own at least one AK pattern rifle is indicative of a lack of revolutionary vigor.

AK rifles were manufactured by a state capitalist country to perpetuate a system of imperialism and economic exploitation, hth

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ironically we also have mandatory voting with a moderate fine.

But true patriotism is showing up to vote while incredibly drunk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

So nationalize booze?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is actually pretty common for Democracies to ban the sale of alcohol on election day.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status/935132713828352000

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have a few suggestions about where the rich could go

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I though the rich were all building doom bunkers in New Zealand

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FuturePastNow posted:

I have a few suggestions about where the rich could go

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1H83mAqO6_XcHAU6Hp6tj_JkZqew&hl=en_US&ll=48.865392000000014%2C2.3208620000000337&z=17

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of strange that you're specifically bringing international regulation of shipping into this, though.

It's something I know very well and from the beginning I've been thinking about this technocrat conversation in terms of it. I wear a lot of hats in my proffesional life. Occasionally one hat is as a proffesional appointed by a nation state to carry out it's international treaty obligations and national laws. Hell forget me as an individual, there are whole bodies that do that, mostly non-profits that fit some of the descriptions of technocrat presented. Are not the classification societies technocratic bodies?

Ytlaya posted:

Like, this sort of reminds me of when I'd see people complaining about finance fat cats around the time of the financial crisis and thought "man these people don't know anything about the way the industry works," and I was often correct in thinking this. But, at the end of the day, their opinion was still more correct than mine, despite having less information. At the end of the day, you have to balance the experience of being involved in an industry with the inherent bias that goes along with it. I find that the best source of information is often the minority of people who are opposed to an industry despite having experience in it. These people aren't always correct - there might be some personal vendetta involved or something - but you can usually tell pretty easily if what they say is valid. It's also helpful to listen to people sort of "adjacent" to the industry. To use finance as an example, this could be people who study finance academically (and have never worked in the industry) or people who used to work in the industry and aren't likely to ever work there again. People who are both defensive of the industry and actively involved in it are generally too biased/compromised to be useful sources. This isn't to say they're wrong, but just that there's no way to really ensure they're reliable. You should at least seek out the sort of people I mentioned to corroborate their perspective.

It's not that I'm trying to be defensive. It's that what I see doesn't fit with what many of you are describing as "technocrat". I fit some (but not all ) of the definitions presented. I do take a bit of offense in that. Especially when I've been out in the rain all night, making sure hazardous isn't going to gently caress up everyone's day.

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, as a side comment I'm sorry if my earlier post came off as really condescending.

Don't worry about it. I unintentionally come off like a dick all the time. I'm sorry if I do.

GlyphGryph posted:

Seriously, dude, introspect a little bit. Work on fitting your arguments into the conversation actually being had, try to understand the things people are saying and then say things that make sense. That's all I'm asking. I'm not blowing you off - you are just not saying things that actually cohere, so there's nothing I can get out of them without a tortured and mangled hypothetical interpretation that might have nothing to do with whatever it is you are aiming for.

What's being said in the thread doesn't make full sense in my context. Those awful technocrats spreading neoliberalism, that doesn't describe the people I work with, whose mission is to save lives. But I'm sympathtic to and agree with many of points being made. Of course I'm not going to be coherent. That's not a bad thing.

Your response ,well fine you go work that out, isn't irrational either. But my context is the systems that allow international trade to happen. It's a problem that what you have to say didn't fit what I see.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

Those awful technocrats spreading neoliberalism, that doesn't describe the people I work with, whose mission is to save lives.

This is exactly the bias that Ytlaya was talking about, where they worked in finance and thought "No, the finance system can't be bad, look at all these great people I work with!"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

WampaLord posted:

This is exactly the bias that Ytlaya was talking about, where they worked in finance and thought "No, the finance system can't be bad, look at all these great people I work with!"

Finance doesn't keep the explosives from blowing up in transit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BrandorKP posted:

Don't worry about it. I unintentionally come off like a dick all the time. I'm sorry if I do.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

BrandorKP posted:

Finance doesn't keep the explosives from blowing up in transit.

That doesn’t change the validity of regulatory capture, which is a real phenomenon.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Guess who just got caught trying to make another selectively edited video?

This guy:

A woman approached The Post with dramatic — and false — tale about Roy Moore. She appears to be part of undercover sting operation.

There's a lot more in the link and it's interesting reading, but it seems O'Keefe is doubling down on Moore by trying to smear the accusers against him.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
dammit came here to post that

it turns out that you should probably delete your gofundme saying you're headed to work for project veritas before you go to work for project veritas

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I say we start a gofundme to shoot Shkreli, O'Keefe and Spencer into space.

And leave them there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Koalas March posted:

And leave them there.

Is Space X or Virgin Space doing charity/humantarian space flights? Might be able to get them to don't for free if we can prove the net good it would cause.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

And leave them there.

Stop polluting space. we have a perfectly good ocean they can be thrown in, or perhaps a very deep mine, or a volcano. If you put them in space then someone will likely find them again one day.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/935263881651421184

lol

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I just read this and was coming to post it. The article does a good job of showing how journalists work and check sources and verify things.

Phillips is the false accuser, McCrummen is the journo.

"Again, Phillips had arrived early and was waiting for McCrummen, her purse resting on the table. When McCrummen put her purse near Phillips's purse to block a possible camera, Phillips moved hers."

lolling for days, gently caress you James O'Keefe

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

And leave them there.

#gogetthosegestapos

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Guess who just got caught trying to make another selectively edited video?

This guy:

A woman approached The Post with dramatic — and false — tale about Roy Moore. She appears to be part of undercover sting operation.

There's a lot more in the link and it's interesting reading, but it seems O'Keefe is doubling down on Moore by trying to smear the accusers against him.

O Keefe's wingnut welfare slush fund paid him $317k last year.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In other Net Neutrality news, people over on Tumblr have been reporting that Net Neutrality posts are disappearing from their dash. Additional testing shows that after ~20 minutes the tag automatically unfollows.

Reddit's got posts about it, people are reblogging it on Tumblr like crazy, and there's an Imgur post discussing it.

Tumblr's owned by Oath (AOL + Yahoo merged) which in turn is owned by Verizon. But it's OK guys we don't need Net Neutrality, companies will be 100% transparent right?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It's gonna be a real bummer when someone competent starts doing O'Keefe-style ratfucking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Republicans posted:

It's gonna be a real bummer when someone competent starts doing O'Keefe-style ratfucking.

Any news organization worth their salt will figure this poo poo out by doing due diligence.

Like, that's literally what journalism is. Determining what is true and what's total bullshit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Republicans posted:

Like the Russians?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Democrazy posted:

That doesn’t change the validity of regulatory capture, which is a real phenomenon.

I don't disagree. But it still works different in shipping. Captured or absent regulatory systems in shipping cause things to blow up in a literal sense. See ningbo and tianjin. The insurance side has a strong stake in keeping the independant organizations independent.

Unrelated Krugman posted an incredibly good graph about financial regulation in this article :
Voodoo Too: The GOP Addiction to Financial Deregulation https://nyti.ms/2k0lnFh

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BrandorKP posted:

I don't disagree. But it still works different in shipping. Captured or absent regulatory systems in shipping cause things to blow up in a literal sense. See ningbo and tianjin. The insurance side has a strong stake in keeping the independant organizations independent.
Reminder that people with the greatest vested interest in holding society together (the super rich) are actively tearing it apart. You're assuming that the insurance industry can and will act in aggregate as a rational actor. It can't. it won't. It's composed of a few thousand major stakeholders, each of which has convinced itself that it can increase profits by a few percent next quarter by shitcanning this or that regulation, and the long-term consequences of same are irrelevant because they aren't modeling them. Capitalists are insane, and also incredibly stupid in a few very specific ways.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

khy posted:

In other Net Neutrality news, people over on Tumblr have been reporting that Net Neutrality posts are disappearing from their dash. Additional testing shows that after ~20 minutes the tag automatically unfollows.

Reddit's got posts about it, people are reblogging it on Tumblr like crazy, and there's an Imgur post discussing it.

Tumblr's owned by Oath (AOL + Yahoo merged) which in turn is owned by Verizon. But it's OK guys we don't need Net Neutrality, companies will be 100% transparent right?

Almost real time cencorship is pretty wild.

LOL this cyberpunk future sucks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

Almost real time cencorship is pretty wild.

LOL this cyberpunk future sucks.

Ajit Pai is also apparently suffering from Harassment.

https://twitter.com/BrendanBordelon/status/934418166620524544

I don't condone this but honestly I really am having a difficult time working up any sympathy for him either.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

khy posted:

Ajit Pai is also apparently suffering from Harassment.

https://twitter.com/BrendanBordelon/status/934418166620524544

I don't condone this but honestly I really am having a difficult time working up any sympathy for him either.

He shouldn't have as much power as he does, congress can save him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

He shouldn't have as much power as he does, congress can save him.

They can, but will they? Most have long ago been bought out by big companies and support anything that lets the corporations line their pockets.

• Locked thread