Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
A cursory search said that Madani was created for the show, but maybe that's a thing from the comics? Punisher was never my favorite read, so I'm not super familiar with the source material.
I also learned in that search that Norman Reedus voiced Frank in an anime Iron Man movie. Huh.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Also Punisher, final episode: What was even the point of Madani showing up to the final shootout? Like, she shows up there, and is pretty much instantly shot in the head the very moment she steps into the scene, which she fortunately survives. Her entire involvement there served pretty much no purpose whatsoever. At the very least they could have let her help Frank out in the fight even just a little bit. Is there some sort of plot hook from the comics that requires her to survive a bullet to the had and gain superpowers from it or some poo poo?

She was there to distract Jigsaw. It's the Scatman Crothers role.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Also Punisher, final episode: What was even the point of Madani showing up to the final shootout? Like, she shows up there, and is pretty much instantly shot in the head the very moment she steps into the scene, which she fortunately survives. Her entire involvement there served pretty much no purpose whatsoever. At the very least they could have let her help Frank out in the fight even just a little bit. Is there some sort of plot hook from the comics that requires her to survive a bullet to the had and gain superpowers from it or some poo poo?

Pretty sure she tracked Russo down to that carousel and wanted him taken in at best or dead at the least. Because he killed her partner. And a lot of Homeland Security agents. And lied about it. I think she might've shown up because even she could tell that Frank wasn't treating that fight like he expected to come back from it afterwards.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Pretty sure she tracked Russo down to that carousel and wanted him taken in at best or dead at the least. Because he killed her partner. And a lot of Homeland Security agents. And lied about it. I think she might've shown up because even she could tell that Frank wasn't treating that fight like he expected to come back from it afterwards.

Punisher still: Oh yeah nah, I'm aware of the in-universe explanation for her presence. What I'm annoyed at is that that whole sequence had been written and resolved in such a way that she literally just showed up and immediately got shot without doing anything at all.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Uhm guys the thing that Neo is "waiting for" is for Triniti to love him? Because the Oracle told her that she would fall in love with a dead man and that that man would be the one. So the requirements for Neo to be the one are A: Morpheus finding him, B: Him dieing, C: Triniti being in love with him while he is dead. I got this when I was like ten years old.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Punisher still: Oh yeah nah, I'm aware of the in-universe explanation for her presence. What I'm annoyed at is that that whole sequence had been written and resolved in such a way that she literally just showed up and immediately got shot without doing anything at all.

Okay, fair enough, I can understand that. Somehow I interpretted what you said to be you were completely confused why Madani was there in the first place instead of why they decided to write her showing up to begin with.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Because the Oracle told her that she would fall in love with a dead man

say what now

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I've never seen it, and only know a little bit about the comic / movie. But given that the dude's history is a mystery, he makes a point to say what's behind his mask isn't important (I think?), and the dude is in a loving mask, yeah, it'd better that it pops off than if it doesn't.

lol, you are genuinely retarded

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In Mary Reilly (which I love) Julia Roberts' accent is so horrible it takes me right out. #rationallyirritated

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Ok I just checked and I'm mis-remembering the line. I thought "...I would fall in love and that that man..." was "...I would fall in lover with a dead man..."

To be fair she is hella-whispering. But he is still "waiting" for her to love him as a pre-requisite to being the one.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

syscall girl posted:

In Mary Reilly (which I love) Julia Roberts' accent is so horrible it takes me right out. #rationallyirritated

Worse than Jodie Foster's in Elysium?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ok I just checked and I'm mis-remembering the line. I thought "...I would fall in love and that that man..." was "...I would fall in lover with a dead man..."

To be fair she is hella-whispering. But he is still "waiting" for her to love him as a pre-requisite to being the one.

Here's the scene from The Matrix (1999) that should clear up everything for everyone ITT

https://youtu.be/r9B7BQWnZJs

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

Or Julia Roberts in Michael Collins? Or Nicole Kidman in Far and Away? Or any attempt at an Irish accent ever?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Or Julia Roberts in Michael Collins? Or Nicole Kidman in Far and Away? Or any attempt at an Irish accent ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTwmjOySDjA

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

Yes.

And Malkovich doesn't even try doing an accent. All like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrFmuiF2ENY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have trouble believing Malkovich when he's playing a calmer role, because I'm used to him playing weirdos. Seeing him in the Dustin Hoffman version of Death of a Salesman as the bumbling youngest son Biff was really weird to me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I have trouble believing Malkovich when he's playing a calmer role, because I'm used to him playing weirdos. Seeing him in the Dustin Hoffman version of Death of a Salesman as the bumbling youngest son Biff was really weird to me.

-Malkovich?

-Malkovich Malkovich.

-Malkovich.

oh poo poo i just realized chuck sheen was in that movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meSIVfOyerg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Aw, Sean Bean's accent in Patriot Games is perfectly fine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well sure. Sean Bean's accent always works as long as he dies.

He does not die in Ronin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbv4oCv100

messed up, imo

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Phanatic posted:

Wolverine’s adamantium claws can’t cut through X-24s adamantium, and vice versa, so adamantium can’t be damaged even by other adamantium; in the battle between unstoppable adamantium force and immovable adamantium object, the immovable object wins.

But an adamantium bullet somehow penetrates adamantium.

I swear I read somewhere that X-24 doesn't have a proper adamantium skeleton. He has synthetic adamantium which is still hella strong but not 100% indestructible.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

fun fact: "Sean Bean" means "old woman" in Irish

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Who said anything about caring about his life? Immediately booting up a new clone and having him stumble across the previous clone's life, as well as stumbling the still-living clone, jeopardizes the whole money-making system. Clone dies, send a cleanup crew to reset things to zero, then poop out a new clone. Otherwise... well, the events of the movie happen. I get that this is why it's plotted like that, but still, annoying.

The whole point of the system is so they don't have to send people to the moon. I'm guessing activating the replacement was either an automatic response that nobody thought to disable, or they thought 'gently caress it let's see if the computer can brazen it out and if we end up having to go to the moon anyway so what'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jabby posted:

The whole point of the system is so they don't have to send people to the moon. I'm guessing activating the replacement was either an automatic response that nobody thought to disable, or they thought 'gently caress it let's see if the computer can brazen it out and if we end up having to go to the moon anyway so what'.

I thought also the implication was the system thought he died so it just keeps going with its standard programming and since this infinite clone torture program is automated nobody bothered to check in on it until weird poo poo started happening and by then Gerty was actively sabotaging them.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

I thought also the implication was the system thought he died so it just keeps going with its standard programming and since this infinite clone torture program is automated nobody bothered to check in on it until weird poo poo started happening and by then Gerty was actively sabotaging them.

Indeed. Gerty is basically mirror universe HAL, a computer given conflicting orders by it's programmers but instead of turning homicidal it manages to adopt a bit of cognitive dissonance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

The whole point of the system is so they don't have to send people to the moon. I'm guessing activating the replacement was either an automatic response that nobody thought to disable

... that makes complete sense, and works in the milieu. I no longer feel annoyed.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It really bothers me that there is an entire sub plot in Transformers...

What's weird is that you're talking about bad sub plots but not in the latest movie, which had a literal sub plot, said it was a transformer, but then it didn't really do anything. It's like a movie not unmasking a guy with a mask!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Colm Meaney in Con Air has a fantastic version of an american accent.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Perhaps the Sega's more cerebral, seminal work Sonic Forces is more Bibs's alley, with a masked villain that explicitly says he is nothing but the mask at the point the meat of the game takes place in and as far as I'm in into this Men Drinkin Coffee Let's Play is never unmasked (but his maskless model shows up in a DLC but again his face is never shown because there's no point to showing it.) And hey bonus points there's a prequel comic that shows him maskless and he's just a dumb Sonic character with heterochromia blue and yellow eyes because who the gently caress cares when the text explicitly says he's just a mask

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished watching Kill Switch with a friend (good movie, kinda like Half Life but, a movie.) and had one IIMM.

There's a part (sort of a big spoiler, so don't read unless you want to spoil the film) where the main character gets all pissed and mad when he finds out that the alternate earth lady lied about evacuating his family, and he rushes off to go find them... except he's known for most of the movie at this point that he's NOT on his earth and it's not really his family. Just seems completely out of character for him.

However, even with that bitch point, the movie is still pretty good. It's on amazon prime if you want to watch it. Dan Stevens is awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I stopped reading CD because MrBibbs and SMG are just so intolerable.

Mods, can you please quarantine him there?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I stopped reading CD because MrBibbs and SMG are just so intolerable.

Mods, can you please quarantine him there?

MrBibbs needs to get hellbanned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It’s really something, isn’t it? Speaking as someone who likes him as an actor, how the hell he got that gig over literally any other generic hard-charging shoutman american is beyond me.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

It’s really something, isn’t it? Speaking as someone who likes him as an actor, how the hell he got that gig over literally any other generic hard-charging shoutman american is beyond me.

Yeah he was a jerk in that movie.

ohhhh poo poo IMDB

Tolkien (filming)
Father Francis Morgan

And you were so good in The Hot Potato (irish joke)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

What's better (or "better") in that movie - Colm Meaney's generic American (?) accent or Nicolas Cage's generic Deep South accent?

Loads of people I know say that Con Air is the best of the three big stupid action movies Cage was in immediately after he got his Oscar. I think Face/Off is better. My dad is the only person I know who likes The Rock best.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's better (or "better") in that movie - Colm Meaney's generic American (?) accent or Nicolas Cage's generic Deep South accent?

Loads of people I know say that Con Air is the best of the three big stupid action movies Cage was in immediately after he got his Oscar. I think Face/Off is better. My dad is the only person I know who likes The Rock best.

They can only be understood as a trilogy, played back-to-back or , preferentially, simultaneously at high volume.

"Put the bunnay back in the box" has pretty much occupied 20% of my mental processing space since the 90's, there is no more perfect combination of line and delivery

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like Broken Arrow for the "ain't it cool?" scene and it's pretty much interchangeable with those movies.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

They're all very good Nick Cage Action Movies, but Face/Off is the best Nick Cage Action Movie. When you hire Cage you get a wellspring of utter insanity, and it's just a waste not to tap into that. Face/Off realised that and dives deeply into the full Cage insanity, and even gets Travolta to do his very best to keep up with it, and the end result is nothing short of magical.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Perestroika posted:

Face/Off realised that and dives deeply into the full Cage insanity,

another line (which I say to my gf all the time) is Cage's beautifully halting delivery of
"If I were to send you flowers where would I... no, let me rephrase that. If I were to let you suck my tongue, would you be grateful?".
Any goon who can use this successfully as a pickup, I will send you :10bux:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One really tiny thing I liked in Face/Off was a bit in the big action scene at the start, where Cage and Travolta are in that one arm's length Mexican stand-off that John Woo puts in every single movie he does, but they have to sort of flip their arms over one another to get into it.

(This bit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Wheat Loaf posted:

One really tiny thing I liked in Face/Off was a bit in the big action scene at the start, where Cage and Travolta are in that one arm's length Mexican stand-off that John Woo puts in every single movie he does, but they have to sort of flip their arms over one another to get into it.

(This bit.)

I'm sorry son, that clip is banned in countries where this happens all the time.