Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a Flir E8 that I'm going to use on a next generation Nvidia card (or AMD if they manage to secretly put out a good card). I have the same old X99 motherboard so there doesn't seem much point in checking that and up to 10 cores are enough for me for a while. A 12,000 dollar one probably is 640x480 while the E8 is only 320x240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

craig588 posted:

I have a Flir E8 that I'm going to use on a next generation Nvidia card (or AMD if they manage to secretly put out a good card). I have the same old X99 motherboard so there doesn't seem much point in checking that and up to 10 cores are enough for me for a while. A 12,000 dollar one probably is 640x480 while the E8 is only 320x240.

Yeah, I think it's got a larger array. They do sell ones that are under $500 now, but the array is less than 100x100. Still pretty amazing but that resolution is very limited.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't been following the Coffee Lake i7 release that closely but it looks to be 6C/12T vs 4C/8T. Is that worth $125 more for the CPU plus another $75 extra for the motherboard? I guess maybe if you're doing video encoding or some other efficiently multithreaded workload, but not for everyday use and games?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't been following the Coffee Lake i7 release that closely but it looks to be 6C/12T vs 4C/8T. Is that worth $125 more for the CPU plus another $75 extra for the motherboard? I guess maybe if you're doing video encoding or some other efficiently multithreaded workload, but not for everyday use and games?

It's not worth it right *now*, but there's every indication that it will be worth it in the very near future, which is why the thread recommendation is currently for the 8700K, or *any* six-core, really. Games are already starting to make use of multithreading (BF1 and Wolf II, for instance), and that support is likely to continue for newer games.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Josh Lyman posted:

The new coffee lake i5 is a 6c/6t cpu and a good option as well, need to use a z370 board too. Anything 4c/8t would be Kaby lake or older now but could be a decent upgrade option if found for cheap and works with your current board.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Rumors of 9700k - 8 cores, 16 threads:

https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-8-cores-16-threads-rumor/amp/

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah, I think it's got a larger array. They do sell ones that are under $500 now, but the array is less than 100x100. Still pretty amazing but that resolution is very limited.

Larger array and the ability to use detachable optics, most likely. That's one thing I would really be interesting in seeing, is thermal of Thermal Fusion images of various products as they undergo overclocking, the VRMs and heatsink surfaces especially.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
There aren't any crazy deals for Black Friday right? I hadn't planned on it, but I ended up buying half a computer, so I figure I might as well get the other half too, but I'd like to look into it a bit more rather than scrambling to get everything ready on the final day of the sales.

Also, I've heard the gains each generation have been pretty incremental but the newest stuff is still markedly faster than my i7 3770 (not K) right? Or am I wasting my money by upgrading now?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Koramei posted:

There aren't any crazy deals for Black Friday right? I hadn't planned on it, but I ended up buying half a computer, so I figure I might as well get the other half too, but I'd like to look into it a bit more rather than scrambling to get everything ready on the final day of the sales.

Also, I've heard the gains each generation have been pretty incremental but the newest stuff is still markedly faster than my i7 3770 (not K) right? Or am I wasting my money by upgrading now?

The really crazy deals are usually older equipment they want to dump. Can't hurt to check Newegg, but if you're looking for current gen stuff don't expect anything earth shattering.

New stuff is substantially faster, yes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Cool, thanks. Reading a bit more, it seems like there was a big shortage on the 8700Ks when they were launched, and that might be inflating the price a bit now? Any indication that's gonna change soon, or would I have to wait for the next generation to come out before things are gonna go down again?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Hell yeah! I'm waiting on this CPU and the new chipset so I can finally dump some serious money into a new build. Sucks that RAM is gonna be $50/gb by that time tho.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Honestly, I am not sure I'd push for an upgrade from a 3770. I just upgraded from a 2500k and I think that's the "right" jump. Were I in your shoes, unless there is something specific you want to upgrade for, I'd chill for another year and see if you can scoot into a 8c/16t CPU at the same pricepoint.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The heat output of that monster will be ludicrous, when 8700K already pushes 200-250W with avx...

If the 8core will be even hotter than the currently absolutely blazing 8700K I have no wish to upgrade. I already get 90+ temps without delid, with delid still over 70C..

Also it's super funny Intel peddled 4cores for a decade, then it's suddendly 6 and next year 8.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 28, 2017

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Hell yeah! I'm waiting on this CPU and the new chipset so I can finally dump some serious money into a new build. Sucks that RAM is gonna be $50/gb by that time tho.

so 115x verison 4?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The AVX offset is a generally good setting. Using AVX even slowed down by over a GHz is still faster than not having it and with the offset setting you can keep the 5+GHz clocks for everything else.

I think the future of overclocking will be closer to GPU overclocking. There'll be a power limit you can define (hopefully it won't be limited by Intel) and it'll run at all sorts of clock speeds depending on the load up to that power limit.

Ihmemies posted:

Also it's super funny Intel peddled 4cores for a decade, then it's suddendly 6 and next year 8.

The power of real competition.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

wargames posted:

so 115x verison 4?

Whatever ± one extra pin the x390 will have to gently caress everyone, yeah

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

craig588 posted:

I think the future of overclocking will be closer to GPU overclocking. There'll be a power limit you can define (hopefully it won't be limited by Intel) and it'll run at all sorts of clock speeds depending on the load up to that power limit.

"The new Intel 'KU' processors! Unlocked and 'unleashed!'"

...for an additional 50% price premium.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you do delid, do you really have to use this liquid metal stuff? As far as I can tell it's hard to apply, might move around after installation and may have to be reapplied after a few years. Not really something I'm super keen on dealing with. How much do you lose from just using a regular high end thermal paste instead?

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

If you do delid, do you really have to use this liquid metal stuff? As far as I can tell it's hard to apply, might move around after installation and may have to be reapplied after a few years. Not really something I'm super keen on dealing with. How much do you lose from just using a regular high end thermal paste instead?

I've watched a few youtube videos of people applying it and it doesn't look hard at all. I did order some microswabs from amazon tho.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ihmemies posted:

The heat output of that monster will be ludicrous, when 8700K already pushes 200-250W with avx...

If the 8core will be even hotter than the currently absolutely blazing 8700K I have no wish to upgrade. I already get 90+ temps without delid, with delid still over 70C..

the rumors are that its icelake, so 10nm+ process. that should help power draw a good deal compared to the 8700.

wargames posted:

so 115x verison 4?

rumor is a new socket called 1161. repostin':

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The main benefit from delidding is closer IHS to die contact, the thermal interface is only a couple of degrees from worst to best. People like liquid metal for between the die and IHS because it is the best and it's in a place where you won't see it. Liquid metal messes up the finish of the IHS and heatsinks (completely stripping off the numbers written on the IHS in extreme cases), but the surface of the die is non reactive and the inside of the IHS doesn't have anything to see. I'm still in the world of soldered IHSes, but if I did have a processor that could benefit I'd use normal paste partially because liquid metal is unproven for long term use and partially so I don't buy a tube of paste with only one use that I wouldn't want to use everywhere.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Siliconlottery has used liquid metal for a few years and I haven't heard about any problems with it. As a bonus newest liquid metals conduct heat more efficiently than even soldered dies.

"There is no need to replace the liquid metal over time. We've been selling delidded processors for three years without any reports of thermal degradation."

So if a point comes where liquid metal starts to degrade, it will be in the far future and you will have plenty of time to prepare for that.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

TheFluff posted:

If I can delid and apply it, anyone can. It just bad if you slow down and take your time. Haven’t about the need to reapply either.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

mewse posted:

I've watched a few youtube videos of people applying it and it doesn't look hard at all. I did order some microswabs from amazon tho.

All the liquid metal things come with application swabs

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have a H110 chipset mobo that can take a skylake CPU or with a bios upgrade a Kaby Lake. It would be a pain to upgrade my bios but doable. I've done some shopping and the i5-6600s are 250 and the I3-6100 is 140 while I can get a Kaby Lake i5-7600 for 200 or an I3-7300 for 160.

Is the hassle to upgrade the bios worth it? Whats the best cost for performance here? The i5-7600?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How long ago did you get the board? It may already be updated.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

How long ago did you get the board? It may already be updated.

Picked this up end of Jan start of Feb of last year. I checked Asrock website and it suggests this model supports both 6th and 7th gen. If thats the case go Kaby Lake?

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 28, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Goodpancakes posted:

Picked this up end of Jan start of Feb of last year. I checked Asrock website and it suggests this model supports both 6th and 7th gen. If thats the case go Kaby Lake?

Start it up, check the BIOS version... Or look on the box and see if it's on a sticker or something.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Start it up, check the BIOS version... Or look on the box and see if it's on a sticker or something.

Yeah Ill have to double check. Newest bios version was November of 2016. I would have picked up this mobo two months later in January.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not worth it right *now*, but there's every indication that it will be worth it in the very near future, which is why the thread recommendation is currently for the 8700K, or *any* six-core, really. Games are already starting to make use of multithreading (BF1 and Wolf II, for instance), and that support is likely to continue for newer games.

B-Mac posted:

The new coffee lake i5 is a 6c/6t cpu and a good option as well, need to use a z370 board too. Anything 4c/8t would be Kaby lake or older now but could be a decent upgrade option if found for cheap and works with your current board.
Thanks guys. Based on my recommendations, my friend got an 8700k and ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 mobo since the ASUS ones apparently have an issue with VRM voltage droop, and it's not clear a BIOS update will fix the issue especially since it's been a couple months.

edit: Apparently the non-super expensive ASUS boards just have lovely VRMs

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 28, 2017

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Out of curiosity I tried overclocking my i7-8700k on a Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. Got it to 4.9 GHz @ 1.26V with temps 78-80C at 100% load (x264 stress test). Not too shabby for a $20 air cooler.

I have a de-lid tool and a NZXT x62 coming in the mail. Gonna bust the 5 GHz barrier once they arrive and see where this chip takes me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

craig588 posted:

The AVX offset is a generally good setting. Using AVX even slowed down by over a GHz is still faster than not having it and with the offset setting you can keep the 5+GHz clocks for everything else.

You can already kind of do that with the turbo power limits though, right?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's not universally supported though. I was kind of excited to do that on my processor that does 4.7GHz stable but climbs to 90C while heavily loaded. On my Asus X99 the settings are ignored. I'll probably end up getting a 6900K to replace my 5820K, but in the generation after that in like 7 years when I need to get a new motherboard then finally I'll get to try it out.

I think in the future it'll be a more universal thing instead of the old wisdom of disabling all power throttling. Everyone still remembers back when processors were very bad at changing speeds and throttling was just a chance to crash.

mewse
May 2, 2006

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Out of curiosity I tried overclocking my i7-8700k on a Hyper 212 Evo Cooler. Got it to 4.9 GHz @ 1.26V with temps 78-80C at 100% load (x264 stress test). Not too shabby for a $20 air cooler.

I have a de-lid tool and a NZXT x62 coming in the mail. Gonna bust the 5 GHz barrier once they arrive and see where this chip takes me.

What motherboard?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Exhibit 1, how to not delid your $400 cpu: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7g6s7l/_/

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Exhibit 1, how to not delid your $400 cpu: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7g6s7l/_/

Goddamn what did he doooooo

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I guess he used paper tower as thermal paste spreader?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

No idea but paper towels will scratch the gently caress out of everything soft. Cotton pads or cloth seems to be a lot better.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That die looks sanded. I paper towel off any electronics I'm cleaning and have never gotten anything close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, i've used paper towels or coffee filters a million times and never seen anything like that. amazing.