Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I enjoy the new MBP and its butttouchbar

whats it like being wrong all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
if only stebe hadn’t butt chugged all that cancer

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The new MacBook keyboard is annoying, especially the hosed arrow keys

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just noticed the Option key no longer has "alt" on the top left but has the symbol ⌥ back on the top right.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

MrMoo posted:

Just noticed the Option key no longer has "alt" on the top left but has the symbol ⌥ back on the top right.

these alt right symbols are getting too angular for me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

these alt right symbols are getting too angular for me

it's all parenthetical to me

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the touchbar is extra annoying because it shuts off the screen. it’s bad that you have to hunt for an escape key or volume key, but having to push twice is annoying , and then the volume controls don’t disappear automatically after you use them, and and and

they go away for me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

carry on then posted:

they go away for me

if I go into the volume section of the keyboard I have to press the X to go back 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

if I go into the volume section of the keyboard I have to press the X to go back 🤷🏻‍♂️

there's a trick: if you just start sliding your finger after touching the volume icon, it slides the volume slider and puts everything back a second after you take your finger off the touchbar

or you could just replace the volume slider icon thing with two icons for vol + and vol -

in other news, i took a chance on one of those chinese magsafe clones for usb-C. it just randomly stopped working, two days before the amazon return window. worked great for those four weeks, tho, and didn't fry my ports on its way out, so that's something i guess :sigh:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
lol if u get a disgusting new macbook pro instead of a refurb 2015 model

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

All I wanted was a faster 2015 macbook

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

The GPU is still weaksauce too

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’d rather have just the integrated gpu that would be enough.

or maybe an Nvidia gpu for machine learning

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

machine learning... but these apples are retarded

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boiled Water posted:

why would be running ml on your laptop instead of an aws instance?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

the MacBook has the bandwidth to support external GPUs so maybe that will be its saving grace

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

why would be running ml on your laptop instead of an aws instance?

because not every problem needs you to buy an aws or azure cluster or whatever. supposed macbooks for professionals shouldn't perform worse than $1000-1600 b-tier windows oem machines

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

because not every problem needs you to buy an aws or azure cluster or whatever. supposed macbooks for professionals shouldn't perform worse than $1000-1600 b-tier windows oem machines

such as? post an actual example.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm just trying to think of a ml scenario where it makes more sense to wait while your thermally constrained laptop gpu struggles through it rather than toss a couple cents and an aws gpu-compute instance

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

analyzing near infrared spectra for instance

I agree if you want to do image recognition on a billion images doing it locally is bad. but google has this down to an art

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
real time image recognition in video.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's actually a real-time image recognition solution that runs on a mobile gpu?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

there's actually a real-time image recognition solution that runs on a mobile gpu?

yes, cuda has been thing in mobile gpus for 9 years now. this is especially true for current gen mobile cards, which are basically the same hardware as desktop gpus

to give two examples of my own:

- my work deals with pii that is legally bound to be located on hardware physically located within specific countries, where aws, or any other respectable cloud vendor for that matter, does not operate
- for my studies, i need to do a lot of fft shite, using terabytes of data i have on external hard drives. sure, with 400 mbit symmetric i can afford to upload terabytes to aws, but thats alot of effort for when i can just run cuFFT

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i'm just trying to think of a ml scenario where it makes more sense to wait while your thermally constrained laptop gpu struggles through it rather than toss a couple cents and an aws gpu-compute instance

also, my home laptop is not that thermally constrained, especially not for tasks i typically run. granted, i have a cooler pad with a 200mm fan, but it does not thermally throttle. then again, its not a professional aluminum slab either, just an acer aspire v5

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 27, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
My iPhone X has been sitting for days now in China awaiting customs clearance. What the gently caress is this poo poo

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

My iPhone X has been sitting for days now in China awaiting customs clearance. What the gently caress is this poo poo

chinese authorities working day and night to manufacture spyware for your device

or waiting for a bribe, actually definitely also waiting or a bribe

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

probably

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I played rimworld on my butttouchbar mbp this weekend it was gr8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, cuda has been thing in mobile gpus for 9 years now. this is especially true for current gen mobile cards, which are basically the same hardware as desktop gpus

to give two examples of my own:

- my work deals with pii that is legally bound to be located on hardware physically located within specific countries, where aws, or any other respectable cloud vendor for that matter, does not operate
- for my studies, i need to do a lot of fft shite, using terabytes of data i have on external hard drives. sure, with 400 mbit symmetric i can afford to upload terabytes to aws, but thats alot of effort for when i can just run cuFFT

i get the pii/sensitive info regional requirement, that was an issue for us in glorious canadar too until the :yayclod: providers decided they wanted government money and started building canadian facilities.

mostly i'm just surprised there are cuda workloads that run on mobile gpus without the thing getting throttled to hell for thermal/power reasons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mostly i'm just surprised there are cuda workloads that run on mobile gpus without the thing getting throttled to hell for thermal/power reasons.
it just boils down to convenience, e.g. reducing the execution time so you can afford prototyping with heavy real minimum step

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

even with hellthrottle having a cuda gpu is still 10-20 times faster than not having it

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yes! yes!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

a friendly reminder from timb coko not to get semenes on ur keyboard

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Linguica posted:

yes! yes!!

Ayy lmao

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

maybe it's a feature: in recognition of your new macbook pro's keys being irreversibly damaged by a speck of dust, the keys are designed to naturally erode away to nothingness so you can slap a new one on every so often

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
like the blue bristles that tell you when it's time to get a new toothbrush, the keys let you know when to throw out your laptop and buy a new one

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

creationist believer posted:

like the blue bristles that tell you when it's time to get a new toothbrush, the keys let you know when to throw out your laptop and buy a new one

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Linguica posted:

yes! yes!!

Same but on the command key

Nice 4,000 dollar keyboards Tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

creationist believer posted:

the signal is when the touchbar lights up