Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

In the last bitcoin thread a financial industry dude with 140 IQ wrote like 4 long rear end posts about how bitcoin is a scam that will never be worth anything, I plan to revisit those posts when bitcoin hits either 7.5k or 10k, depending on when that is

Oh? I see. Is it happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chadzok posted:

buy a bitcoin

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Saw a YouTube commercial for some altcoin with all these montages of helicopters dropping mining farms contained in shipping containers at the end of a runway with a satellite uplink. Then the gensets fire up and burn off a bunch of blue smoke. What in the actual gently caress why would someone want a portable self contained mining farm delivered by helicopter ?

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
You can make loads of money from speculative bubbles if you can gauge the IQ divided by the age of the average new investor. That number is crucial. Get in when young smart people are excited, jump when dumb & elderly people know about it. Same for any trend, really.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Fairly passive posted:

You can make loads of money from speculative bubbles if you can gauge the IQ divided by the age of the average new investor. That number is crucial. Get in when young smart people are excited, jump when dumb & elderly people know about it. Same for any trend, really.

For the last 20 years, this is how I've been gauging interest in my rear end and let me say, this guy is right.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Used to be young intellectual people were very interested in my rear end but these days its mostly old people; I guess the writing is on the wall, its time to get out of my rear end.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I knew it was time for me to stop being seriously invested in my rear end, when I heard my father in law talk about it very excitedly over thanksgiving dinner.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lime Tonics posted:

The electricity used to mine bitcoin this year is bigger than the annual usage of 159 countries

PowerCompare.co.uk used stats from Bitcoin and cryptocurrency data provider Digiconomist, which estimates that 29.05 TWh of electricity was used to mine bitcoin, compared to an estimated 25 TWh of electricity per year used by Ireland.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-mining-electricity-usage-2017-11

Napkin calculation estimates that mining 1 bitcoin currently uses 14 MWh, as much electricity as used for producing 1 ton of aluminum, except you don't even get a ton of aluminum.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

Napkin calculation estimates that mining 1 bitcoin currently uses 14 MWh, as much electricity as used for producing 1 ton of aluminum, except you don't even get a ton of aluminum.
why would i want a ton of dumb aluminum when i can have massless bitcoins

not even pennis are made of aluminum

Manic Technophile
Nov 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Uranium 235 posted:

why would i want a ton of dumb aluminum when i can have massless bitcoins

not even pennis are made of aluminum
Just like Bitcoin, pennies cost more to produce than they're actually worth.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pyromancer posted:

I learned today a pound of aluminum trades at less then a dollar.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Manic Technophile posted:

Just like Bitcoin, pennies cost more to produce than they're actually worth.
oops typo, i meant penis

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Fairly passive posted:

This is doubly true of Bitcoin. At some point once the old people figure it out and realize it's not just computer magic, they're all going to go hey I've seen this before, this is a loving ponzi scheme and crash it into the ground.

Bitcoin will be worth $0 someday. That day could be today.

If that day isn't today, the Bitcoin nerds will be laughing all the way to their next sweaty-palmed moment of horror as the entire market shifts by double-digits in a single day. Because it's such a good store of value amiriteguize? (breathes into a paper bag)

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

This is doubly true of Bitcoin. At some point once the old people figure it out and realize it's not just computer magic, they're all going to go hey I've seen this before, this is a loving ponzi scheme and crash it into the ground.
wait what

old people will realize bitcoin is a ponzi scheme and somehow cause its exchange value to drop to zero? how do you imagine that will manifest?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Uranium 235 posted:

wait what

old people will realize bitcoin is a ponzi scheme and somehow cause its exchange value to drop to zero? how do you imagine that will manifest?

wallstreet journal guy reports satoshi is fake and gay

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
GE is a steal right now. Nerds will be draining power like vampires this holiday season; appliances will be in demand once Florida starts rebuilding their McMansions

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

revwinnebago posted:

Bitcoin will be worth $0 someday. That day could be today.

Nah, when the speculative bubble pops it'll just fall back to 2008 levels and still be used as drug currency, but to buy it youll have to western union to a guy in belarus like buying liberty reserve back in the day

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Uranium 235 posted:

wait what

Two separate but related statements.

One, Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme and people are much more likely to realize this if they're seasoned investors who finally understand the market rather than idealistic preppers blinded by "muh fiat currency". Nobody finds out an investment is a ponzi scheme, and then pumps money into it, unless you have a very short-range goal and you think you can get out scot-free.

It's like someone invented a kit where you just buy a truck and drive it down to Wall Street where idiots in suits throw wads of money at your truck. You drive away with their money and you're safe because a wall of libertarians protect you by stopping the angry suits with vague promises about a magic blockchain. There are lots of reasons to start up your own truck business, and if you have a good disguise there's plenty of reason to run alongside a truck and collect some of the money bouncing off the windshield. But don't ride along with someone and keep circling the block, at some point the jig is going to be up. [Edit: This is why there are thousands of crypto currencies hitting the market every day, it's "free money"(tm)]

Two, Bitcoin could have dropped to effectively $0 in the time I've been typing this. If some Russian hacker group discovers there's a flaw in the crypto that lets them steal a large number of wallets, your favorite market could be effectively over at this moment. The question of when this will happen is more of a when, than an if. Again, no seasoned investor would put money into this unless they have an explicit short-term goal and a way to cover their asses.

poverty goat posted:

Nah, when the speculative bubble pops it'll just fall back to 2008 levels and still be used as drug currency, but to buy it youll have to western union to a guy in belarus like buying liberty reserve back in the day

Effectively $0, normal people wouldn't want it as a store of value as has been promised by the Lords of the Crypto.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

killmeimmafailure posted:

GE is a steal right now. Nerds will be draining power like vampires this holiday season; appliances will be in demand once Florida starts rebuilding their McMansions

I kind of feel like this about EA too except I'm just waiting for the loot box drama to blow over and for them to reveal that everyone bought the Star Wars anyway.

killmeimmafailure
Apr 19, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’ve got a brick and motor store hoping for the dead beat dad contingency

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I saw an Amazon brick and mortar bookstore at the mall the other day and I had to sit down for a moment.

e: I don't think this is the same one but

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

COMRADES posted:

I saw an Amazon brick and mortar bookstore at the mall the other day and I had to sit down for a moment.

this is a side effect of being in the onion timeline

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
actually maybe it won't hit 10k

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

COMRADES posted:

I kind of feel like this about EA too except I'm just waiting for the loot box drama to blow over and for them to reveal that everyone bought the Star Wars anyway.

That battlefield 2 boycott steam image is appropriate here. Of course they bought it, and they probably bought tons of loot boxes too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

That battlefield 2 boycott steam image is appropriate here. Of course they bought it, and they probably bought tons of loot boxes too.

It was Call of Duty MW2 ("boycotted" because it was the first PC multiplayer-capable FPS to not offer a function for end users to run their own servers).

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

scott zoloft posted:

actually maybe it will

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

scott zoloft posted:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Bitcoin take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The best thing is people going "ah, but the bitcoin market cap is more than General Electrics!!" As if this means anything at all.

General electric has 360 billion of assets and generates revenue using them, not 160 billion of nerd get-rich-quick-schemes manipulated by trading bots and russian scammers.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I'm here to offer you guys the opportunity to invest in my rear end, and store your values in it.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
My rear end: it's not just for young people, anymore.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you accept direct deposits?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

COMRADES posted:

Do you accept direct deposits?

You have to transfer your assets and values into my rear end by way of the so called "rear end wallet protocol", which is encrypted.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

scott zoloft posted:

actually maybe it will
i am tired of you 2 always fighting

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

-Blackadder- posted:

Oh? I see. Is it happening?

Not yet, give it a bit more time

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Who do I have to give my credit card information to to buy a bitcoin?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Oscar Wild posted:

Who do I have to give my credit card information to to buy a bitcoin?

Coinbase/Gdax or Gemini are probably your best bet in the US for exchanges / trading cryptocurrencies

If you mean just buy a bitcoin there's some ATMs around

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Not yet, give it a bit more time
youre not going switch your accusations of someone saying bitcoin will never be worth anything (referring to a post in a thread where it was already selling at over a thousand so nice lie) from ultra vague to something specific? what. a. surprise

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Computer Serf posted:

wallstreet journal guy reports satoshi is fake and gay

THIS IS A VICIOUS CALUMNY

Craig Wright is fake and poundingly heterosexual

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Manic Technophile posted:

Yeah it's up to 8800 holy gently caress. There will be divorces caused by Bitcoin.

At least one of the people involved will be better off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

gary oldmans diary posted:

i am tired of you 2 always fighting

u can be our friend if you want