Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sab669 posted:

I bought a codex epub off Warhammer Digital and uploaded it to Google Play.

I can access it via the Play Books app on my phone, but if I try to on my desktop it tells me:

So is there a way to use these epubs on a PC? Or am I suck trying to read this on my phone.

I use the Readium Chrome plugin/app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I bought a codex epub off Warhammer Digital and uploaded it to Google Play.

I can access it via the Play Books app on my phone, but if I try to on my desktop it tells me:

So is there a way to use these epubs on a PC? Or am I suck trying to read this on my phone.

I've never been able to access them from my computer out of google play either. Just use a different reader for them for your PC.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Schadenboner posted:

Does anyone know where the most-currently-accurate overview of the Battle of Terra would be?

The most significant thing I recall is that the Emperor couldn't read the future for the first time in his life, and just sat on his throne like :mad: while everything exploded around him while advisors and underlings just :derp: everywhere.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheChirurgeon posted:

These look great, as usual. I love your basing theme!

Thanks! I thrive on people's approval of my painting, because the gameplay certainly isn't turning out to be very satisfying.

Naramyth posted:

Chapter approved preview is up at Frontline. No mention of soup going away. And character targeting is now closest model.

Assassin town is still in. :getin:

BOO!!! BOOOOOO!!!

I'll save my rant on CA after I get a chance to pour through it, but suffice to say I am not very happy with what I have seen. Beginning to feel like a totally overblown and missed opportunity. I think the accuracy of previous leaks allowed a certain level of proliferation of bullshit to gain to much credibility. Most of the stuff everyone was clamoring for seemed like such obvious changes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Did anything happen with the rumoured change for getting first turn (i.e. player with least units get +1 to a roll-off, rather than automatically going first)? I haven't seen any confirmation of that being in CA yet.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

Did anything happen with the rumoured change for getting first turn (i.e. player with least units get +1 to a roll-off, rather than automatically going first)? I haven't seen any confirmation of that being in CA yet.

Iirc GW outright stated that it's how 1st turn is decided for the new missions in the CA book.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
gently caress it. I'm buying two Rapid Insertion Cadres.

Ima paint me some white T'"'au.

Mug Jimenez tutorials strike again. His Zaku tutorials should have a parental advisory on them. They are so hot.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As someone who is just getting in to this hobby, I'm a little taken aback by how expensive things are getting already. It was supposed to start off getting two of the start collecting boxes from my girlfriend as a Christmas present but now it's spiralled in to getting an extra box, magnets, green stuff, books, tools, primers, paint brushes etc .. and I haven't even gotten any of the paint yet.

Do Games Workshop make much of a markup on the miniatures/books themselves or is it all in the accessories?

I'm relatively happy paying for all this because I understand it's paying the salaries of lots of artists and game designers but I'd be a bit shook if it turned they were making like 1:20 profit on models or something.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Entropy238 posted:

As someone who is just getting in to this hobby, I'm a little taken aback by how expensive things are getting already. It was supposed to start off getting two of the start collecting boxes from my girlfriend as a Christmas present but now it's spiralled in to getting an extra box, magnets, green stuff, books, tools, primers, paint brushes etc .. and I haven't even gotten any of the paint yet.

Do Games Workshop make much of a markup on the miniatures/books themselves or is it all in the accessories?

I'm relatively happy paying for all this because I understand it's paying the salaries of lots of artists and game designers but I'd be a bit shook if it turned they were making like 1:20 profit on models or something.

Re: paints, primers, brushes, etc. I'd suggest looking into alternatives like Vallejo or Reaper, W&N, etc. Better quality and prices in many cases.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Entropy238 posted:

On their most recent financial statements they made 30m pre-tax profit on 155m revenue (excluding royalties), 19% net profit margin. That's very healthy but not amazing.

Their markup is impossible to know without knowing what their internal allocations are for overhead costs. The per-sprue cost of a plastic kit is gently caress all, but that doesn't tell you anything about anything. Iirc they make trade sales at 40% discount to retail, which gives you an indication of where the line is for a sale to be profitable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Kult of Speed Battleforce:

Battlewagon
Trukk
Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun
Warbiker Mob (3)
Boyz mob (11)
Lootas (5)

Miniature Market has it up at $145. That's a steal.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

The most significant thing I recall is that the Emperor couldn't read the future for the first time in his life, and just sat on his throne like :mad: while everything exploded around him while advisors and underlings just :derp: everywhere.

I suppose I should be glad the writers read at least as far as Dune Messiah?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 27, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity, how many of you are actually planning on picking up Chapter Approved?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Zuul the Cat posted:

Out of curiosity, how many of you are actually planning on picking up Chapter Approved?

I am.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

I am.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

I will because I run Dark Eldar and don't expect to get a codex for a very long time.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bonds0097 posted:

Re: paints, primers, brushes, etc. I'd suggest looking into alternatives like Vallejo or Reaper, W&N, etc. Better quality and prices in many cases.

Thanks – yeah with most stuff I've gone third party.

Corrode posted:

On their most recent financial statements they made 30m pre-tax profit on 155m revenue (excluding royalties), 19% net profit margin. That's very healthy but not amazing.

Their markup is impossible to know without knowing what their internal allocations are for overhead costs. The per-sprue cost of a plastic kit is gently caress all, but that doesn't tell you anything about anything. Iirc they make trade sales at 40% discount to retail, which gives you an indication of where the line is for a sale to be profitable.

OK, well miniature gaming was never going to be the most profitable business in the world I guess.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably going to skip it for the moment, maybe buy an ebook at best. My only army is Blood Angels and it feels a little bit pointless so shell out for a hard copy.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks – yeah with most stuff I've gone third party.

OK, well miniature gaming was never going to be the most profitable business in the world I guess.

The best way to make a small fortune in gaming is to start with a large fortune.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
So I grabbed some oldschool scourges today. Excited to ditch my hellions for now, since they seem extremely "eh" on paper. Haven't had a chance to actually run any yet.

Deified Data posted:

I will because I run Dark Eldar and don't expect to get a codex for a very long time.

:same:

e; Also, partner picked up a pretty solid Avatar of Khaine a couple weeks back. Figured I'd finally take a picture. Sorry for huge size.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 27, 2017

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Same boat here :( At least I also have a Craftworld Eldar Wraith list too while my Harlequins and DE wait their turn.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

I booked one from my FLGS, but it's going to be shared with my brother, my two roommates as well as me (Dark Eldar, Tau, Sisters of Battle, Genestealer Cults and Harlequins in that order) for what it's worth.

I understand there are a lot of problems with GW's updating method, but if I'm going to justify the purchase then it's because there is an actual updating method now. I'd also prefer a digital living rulebook solution to be clear and there's a bunch of awkward growing pains (looking at you, Imperial Guard Conscript and Commissar changes), but GW actually updating non-codex armies is a new step for them into the mid 00's of game design.
Give them another 10 years and maybe they'll boldly adopt early 2010's game design philosophy :shepface:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Chaos goons, where are the most recent rules for Belakor?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Bombogenesis posted:

So I grabbed some oldschool scourges today. Excited to ditch my hellions for now, since they seem extremely "eh" on paper. Haven't had a chance to actually run any yet.

I just bought two old metal Talos that I'm looking forward to painting up. No idea how they'll work in a game but I love that model regardless.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TKIY posted:

Chaos goons, where are the most recent rules for Belakor?

If you're using BattleScribe, he's an HQ under Chaos Daemons. I believe his most current rules are still in the Index: Chaos.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

If you're using BattleScribe, he's an HQ under Chaos Daemons. I believe his most current rules are still in the Index: Chaos.

K got a NIB one today for fifteen Canadian fun bucks. Looks like he's basically with his weight in gold on eBay but I'd rather gift him to a friend here.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Blood Angels preview is up and IT IS GOOD AS HELL

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/27/chapter-focus-blood-angels/

Edit: Here are the highlights for the lazy among you.

Chapter Tactic: The Red Thirst.
In any turn in which a unit with this ability charged, was charged, or made a Heroic Intervention you may add 1 to its wound rolls in the Fight Phase

There's a strategem to give a generic character the black rage, another to reroll all hits for a terminator squad after deep striking. A 1 CP strategem that allows you to pick up a jump infantry off the table and deepstrike back in.

gently caress, this looks so good.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 27, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Lord_Hambrose posted:

There are three Captain Generals, so just barely not quite :v:

Actually theres one captain general and two tribunes.
:goonsay:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Pendent posted:

FNP Ancient banner looks like a solid pick too. drat, those are some nice toys they're getting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Flying FNP Lib Dreads :fap:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

FNP Ancient banner looks like a solid pick too. drat, those are some nice toys they're getting.

All I can think about is that Death Company (or anything really) with a priest in tow are going to be wounding MEQ on 2's. There's a strong rumor going around that DC get Berserker style fight twice though.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Definitely. I don't give a poo poo about the points but definitely want the new missions, campaign rules, etc. Will get a lot of use out of it.

Maybe even an Apoc game.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Anybody know what the gently caress this dude is? I'm guessing a Solarite but I'm not sure.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Bombogenesis posted:

Anybody know what the gently caress this dude is? I'm guessing a Solarite but I'm not sure.

Looks like a (sad and) wingless DE Scourge.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Definitely.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Edit: Here are the highlights for the lazy among you.

Chapter Tactic: The Red Thirst.
In any turn in which a unit with this ability charged, was charged, or made a Heroic Intervention you may add 1 to its wound rolls in the Fight Phase

There's a strategem to give a generic character the black rage, another to reroll all hits for a terminator squad after deep striking. A 1 CP strategem that allows you to pick up a jump infantry off the table and deepstrike back in.

I am so excited for this. I was worried that we'd get garbage, and while our chapter tactics won't do a ton for shooty units (though it'll make people not want to charge even a tactical squad) its huge for the viability of assault. My only remaining hope is that one of our unrevealed strategems helps with getting a charge off out of deep strike.

Assuming Black Rage stays the same at +1a on a charge, my current 5 man squad (axe + chainsword) hitting MEQ have 15 attacks that wound on 2s and another 5 wounding on 3s.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

bonds0097 posted:

Looks like a (sad and) wingless DE Scourge.

It was with the scourges I picked up earlier. No wings for it, sadly. Has those weird back rods though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Booley posted:

I am so excited for this. I was worried that we'd get garbage, and while our chapter tactics won't do a ton for shooty units (though it'll make people not want to charge even a tactical squad) its huge for the viability of assault. My only remaining hope is that one of our unrevealed strategems helps with getting a charge off out of deep strike.

Assuming Black Rage stays the same at +1a on a charge, my current 5 man squad (axe + chainsword) hitting MEQ have 15 attacks that wound on 2s and another 5 wounding on 3s.

One of the bits in the article indicates that Black Rage will give some form of FNP, no idea what else it might give.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
+1 Wound is insane. Dudes wounding Titans on a 5+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All Dreads wound everything on 2s.