Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Measly Twerp posted:

I've heard this a lot, but to be honest I've not seen it.
I've dealt with him back in the Pulseaudio days, when it just renamed from Polypaudio. For being a free software proponent, that rear end in a top hat had a pretty exclusionary attitude. Kind of "Only free software that I like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

systemd is a scourge and needs to be purged from the Linux ecosystem with maximum prejudice.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why not mount kernel internals r/w to userspace? Surely accidents are never going to happen, anyone who wants to write to that will know what they're doing. Right?

They do. Is under the /proc filesystem. You can read them, you can write to them and is the kernel module's job to ensure the system doesn't panic or gets bricked. Look, nobody likes Leonard and that's fine. But there are enough systemd problems to point at without having to bring up this.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Obsurveyor posted:

systemd is a scourge and needs to be purged from the Linux ecosystem with maximum prejudice.

I have to say I am coming around to this view. It feels over engineered and hides too much stuff from what I've seen from it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

Sorry, nerds, there's a little hardware news today:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Our-first-Ryzen-5-2500U-benchmarks-are-in-and-Intel-has-every-reason-to-worry.266618.0.html

R5 2500U is looking pretty good, close to KBL, KBL-R in benches with less thermal throttling (3% dip on longer tests in the tested Envy x360 15").

The 8CU Vega solution is placing between the 940MX and MX150/GT1030.

TDP is looking very good, too. The charts and whatnot are in there, but it makes me rather excited to see what the R5 2700U can do, as well as the R7 models.

Bringing this over to the new page since it got sniped

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Arzachel posted:

It's just market segmentation, there are no manufacturing defects that would break SMT specifically.

Do they disable it via some kind of code or physical change?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Darth Llama posted:

Do they disable it via some kind of code or physical change?

There are polysilicon fuses that control core configuration and whether various features are enabled. So to make an R3 you take the basic 8C16T processor and blow the fuses that turn off 4 of the cores and the hyperthreading. Sometimes there are mistakes or omissions in the configuration, for example this is how you get 8C8T R3s and such. Intel's E5-1600 processor line also happened to use virtually the same feature fuse configuration as the consumer i7s and so they actually had the multiplier unlocked and were overclockable up to the v3 generation.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are polysilicon fuses that control core configuration and whether various features are enabled. So to make an R3 you take the basic 8C16T processor and blow the fuses that turn off 4 of the cores and the hyperthreading. Sometimes there are mistakes or omissions in the configuration, for example this is how you get 8C8T R3s and such. Intel's E5-1600 processor line also happened to use virtually the same feature fuse configuration as the consumer i7s and so they actually had the multiplier unlocked and were overclockable up to the v3 generation.

I'd be laughing so hard if in order to guarantee that the fuses don't accidentally gently caress your chip up, they overenginner them so hard that occasionally they don't respond to the 'blow me up please' command, which is why we're seeing occasional R3s with 8 cores or whatever.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
id be surprised if it wasn't something on the order of 'fuse exists in the main power conduit to the core' that they just run a high current through using a couple of special pads that don't get connected to anything else, so if something did manage to blow the fuse in a customer computer, i'd be something that'd hosed it up in other ways as well. Of course, that'd also fall victim to mfg'ing errors too, so conceivably a bad mask or whatever could let through a whole batch of chips which couldn't shut off.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
More developments post Ryzen NPT tables fix:

Headless. Guest VFIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MI1s4hZ_yE

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This is freaking awesome. I hope NVidia gets it's head out of it's rear end regarding VMs.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I got my replacement Ryzen from AMD today, week 39 processor. I can confirm they didn't test it since both seals are unbroken. Also, they just sent another full retail CPU with the Wraith Spire, even though they told me to just ship back the CPU without the cooler. So now I have an extra cooler I guess.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

More developments post Ryzen NPT tables fix:

Headless. Guest VFIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MI1s4hZ_yE

also the patch for the long standing "ignore cache setting on AMD"(i.e. NPT bug) was accepted into 4.15

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

APU Benches and review! This one is from The Tech Report on the R5 2500U

https://techreport.com/review/32877/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-apu-reviewed

TL;DR:

Still has a weird memory latency thing, like almost twice the delay as some Intel processors. I have no idea why that is since everything is on a single CCX.

Largely neck-and-neck with the i7 8250U - in most tests the Intel chip is a little bit ahead, some a lot a bit ahead. Looks like the largely Broadwell level of performance is holding up.

Apparently it's bad for audio processing benchmarks? I'm no expert, but it definitely fared worse than Intel's offerings.

My favorite part, the gaming: 720p 30+FPS seems to be the name of the game. Between 30-40FPS is what we're getting in titles like The Witcher 3, which is really, really cool. Getting that level of performance out of a 15W thermal envelope has me really excited for some of the beefier SKUs. The article compared it to a system equipped with the MX 150 the whole time, but that GPU alone has higher power draw than this APU.

I'm super excited for the R5 2700U to start showing up and to see what the R7 units will look like. Hopefully we'll hit 900p 30+ FPS in one of those mobile SKUs. It's really nice to see an impressive, let alone competent, product out of AMD's APU division.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The fact that it's touching 1080p 60fps at low in some things is actually what has me excited. 2700U is going to be cool. Not quite MX150 territory but it's also at a much lower TDP.

Weird about the latency thing. Any thoughts?

Audio processing in particular is known to be really latency-sensitive so that one's not surprising given the prior.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The fact that it's touching 1080p 60fps at low in some things is actually what has me excited. 2700U is going to be cool. Not quite MX150 territory but it's also at a much lower TDP.

Weird about the latency thing. Any thoughts?

Audio processing in particular is known to be really latency-sensitive so that one's not surprising given the prior.

Willing to bet that it's simply a BIOS issue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

but a random one-liner should not be able to brick your system, full stop. Poettering is a :spergin: for even suggesting it, even by Linus standards. especially by Linus standards, even.

is that why amdflash.exe can brick any system any time? it's just a random one liner that needs to be run as root :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

APU Benches and review! This one is from The Tech Report on the R5 2500U

https://techreport.com/review/32877/amd-ryzen-5-2500u-apu-reviewed

TL;DR:

Still has a weird memory latency thing, like almost twice the delay as some Intel processors. I have no idea why that is since everything is on a single CCX.

Largely neck-and-neck with the i7 8250U - in most tests the Intel chip is a little bit ahead, some a lot a bit ahead. Looks like the largely Broadwell level of performance is holding up.

Apparently it's bad for audio processing benchmarks? I'm no expert, but it definitely fared worse than Intel's offerings.

My favorite part, the gaming: 720p 30+FPS seems to be the name of the game. Between 30-40FPS is what we're getting in titles like The Witcher 3, which is really, really cool. Getting that level of performance out of a 15W thermal envelope has me really excited for some of the beefier SKUs. The article compared it to a system equipped with the MX 150 the whole time, but that GPU alone has higher power draw than this APU.

I'm super excited for the R5 2700U to start showing up and to see what the R7 units will look like. Hopefully we'll hit 900p 30+ FPS in one of those mobile SKUs. It's really nice to see an impressive, let alone competent, product out of AMD's APU division.

I'm glad to see that the HP Envy decided that yes, dual-channel was actually worth it, even if it is only 2x4GB.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Why not mount kernel internals r/w to userspace? Surely accidents are never going to happen, anyone who wants to write to that will know what they're doing. Right?

...you mean like /dev/mem?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Truga posted:

is that why amdflash.exe can brick any system any time? it's just a random one liner that needs to be run as root :shrug:

and running rm -rf / not only requires sudo do to any major damage, but unless you have some ancient version you need to explicitly add --no-preserve-root to the command line

you are probably more likely to append the wrong device to a dd command than to go through all the steps needed to recursively erase your entire hard drive with rm

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
the real horror here is that some firmwares do not have any kind of "use defaults if config is missing", not that it's possible to delete the config if running rm -rf /

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm glad to see that the HP Envy decided that yes, dual-channel was actually worth it, even if it is only 2x4GB.

Right? I think Lenovo are still slow on the uptake on that one.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kujeger posted:

the real horror here is that some firmwares do not have any kind of "use defaults if config is missing", not that it's possible to delete the config if running rm -rf /

:agreed:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kujeger posted:

Yuuuuuuup. Leaving the defaults in NVRAM instead of including one with the firmware image is at least double hubris (both that your NVRAM is inviolable and that your shipment defaults will be valid for every firmware image you ever deploy).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

AMD keep posting special offers on AMD products from ocuk.

Someone really needs to tell them ocuk are pro white nationalists.

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!
Raven Ridge will be coming to existing AM4 motherboards with BIOS update

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So sad news, despite having it as an option in the BIOS, having the IOMMU setting enabled causes Server 2016 to poo poo itself and refuse to load on basially every x399 motherboard. Which means no discrete device passthrough, and no shiny new tape drive directly attached to the file server VM :( Hopefully they patch it in another few months, otherwise I'm gonna be kinda sad.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

As in you have to flash the board with a different CPU first?

feedmegin posted:

...you mean like /dev/mem?

Is that user-writeable by default?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Is that user-writeable by default?

If you're root? Yes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

feedmegin posted:

If you're root? Yes.

Right, I thought Paul's original example was making the BIOS user-writeable by non-root users, but I may have misunderstood.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
You need to be root to write to the efivars.

edit: which is why this is so ridiculous.

The EFI explicitly presents these vars as writable. So they get set up as writable by root. But (some) EFIs can't handle them being cleaned out.
...and for some insane reason people are personally blaming Poettering for this.

kujeger fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 30, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

kujeger posted:

You need to be root to write to the efivars.

edit: which is why this is so ridiculous.

The EFI explicitly presents these vars as writable. So they get set up as writable by root. But (some) EFIs can't handle them being cleaned out.
...and for some insane reason people are personally blaming Poettering for this.

If I write to the boot drive as root, the operating system needs to be reinstalled

If I write to the EFIs as root, the computer has been turned into a brick

There's a difference

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Should the os be modified to workaround bad hardware? Its called efivars no combination of variables or lack there of should make a system unbootable, the real solution is a firmware update.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's a stack of assholes saying "I just need to engineer this to work, that issue is someone else's problem" the whole way down

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Rastor posted:

It's a stack of assholes saying "I just need to engineer this to work, that issue is someone else's problem" the whole way down

TBCF this is why Pottering is "blamed" for this since that's basically his answer too.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Rastor posted:

The first line of defense against bricking your system is the firmware itself. If that fails, then the responsibility falls on the kernel (which is where it was fixed anyway, since it is much harder to make firmware vendors hire anything else but drunken monkeys).
The responsibility never falls on the userland, doesn't matter if it's pid 1 or 10000.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Turns out all those 2500U benchmarks actually were using a 25W TDP due to mobile XFR.

Guess that explains the difference in sustained performance vs the 8250U that people were noticing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

Turns out all those 2500U benchmarks actually were using a 25W TDP due to mobile XFR.

Guess that explains the difference in sustained performance vs the 8250U that people were noticing.

I was just about to post the same thing.

Seems to explain the battery life stuff going on as well. At least HP seem to be giving it its best in their implementation (HDD as the default option notwithstanding) - dual channel RAM, non garbage screen, and mobile XFR for a little extra go juice.

Mixed blessing, I guess, but with all the fairly rapid improvements on desktop Ryzen with power management and things like that, there's probably a few easy pickings for upcoming updates.

I was kinda schadenfreude hoping that resource killing telemetry HP secretly installed in everyone's laptop was going to bork reviews for everyone, but I guess the comedy timeline we live in only goes so far.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Graphics processing costs watts, yo. Always has, always will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

That is kind of disappointing honestly, I was hoping for a hard 15w clamp but given how the Envy is built (active cooling and all) it's probably what made sense to go with.

I am really interested in seeing a true 15w and 9w test.