Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I noticed something recently. I was looking at the Devil Survivor games and noticed that DS1 was red and DS2 was blue. I knew some Persona games had a certain color scheme: Persona 3 is blue, 4 is yellow, and 5 is red. Well then I went to look at the other Persona games and found that Innocent Sin was red and Eternal Punishment was blue (Revelations was grey). Do other SMT games have red/blue color schemes too? What color schemes do the other games have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Mraagvpeine posted:

I noticed something recently. I was looking at the Devil Survivor games and noticed that DS1 was red and DS2 was blue. I knew some Persona games had a certain color scheme: Persona 3 is blue, 4 is yellow, and 5 is red. Well then I went to look at the other Persona games and found that Innocent Sin was red and Eternal Punishment was blue (Revelations was grey). Do other SMT games have red/blue color schemes too? What color schemes do the other games have?

Not especially. They didn't really figure out how to make working menus until SMT3, and the best we can say about that is that "it is a functional menu"

Digital Devil Saga 1 uses a blue-ish grey

While Digital Devil Saga 2 went for a brown-ish grey:

Both Raidou games use this not quite sepia look:

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
SMT IV's got this white and orange color scheme while SMT IVA is blue and black, which are the opposite colors, so that's kind of neat.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Okay, so wait, SMT:IV Apocalypse takes place basically during that "go and make friends with everyone" phase of the Neutral ending? I can't import my old save but I remember getting the Neutral end, so this seems to be right before we do the final dungeons.

I wish I was more refreshed on SMT:IV's plot, I don't even remember who Skins was, but I recognize his character portrait. It's great to be back in SMT land -- blood and gore and death right out the goddamn gate.
Yep, it's very specifically during that part of the game. They did a good job just killing off people from the start.
Skins and Fujiwara were basically the neutral NPCs alongside Isabeau. They pretty much led the hunters association and knew all there was about Masakado (not that much).

EDIT: Just talking about this has got me in the mood for another run... drat it, New Game it is. SMT5 can't come soon enough.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 25, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What difficulty should I do for P4G if I want some challenge? I was fine with hard on P3P but didn't like how it jacked up the Persona prices, that mostly just made it more grindy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What difficulty should I do for P4G if I want some challenge? I was fine with hard on P3P but didn't like how it jacked up the Persona prices, that mostly just made it more grindy.

You honestly kinda... can't? P4G's difficulty is either easy or tedium because the core mechanics are so easy to break that the only thing it can do is become more grindy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The best balance in P4G is NG+ with Hard damage dealt/received modifiers and normal XP/money gains. Which yeah means it's largely impossible on your initial run. I was fine with this because to be honest I don't look for super challenging gameplay in Persona but it's ultimately not going to scratch that itch overall if that's what you're looking for.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
P3P is still the superior harder challenge because it added a bunch of super Shadow fights on top of all the existing postgame and endgame challenges.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

P3P is more of a challenge because you have to play P3.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

So I finished SMT IV last night. After complaining in here about not being able to beat Merkabah, I booted up the game for the first time in months and got him in a couple of tries. Once I brought in a party which didn't have weaknesses to Zio/Zan spells, and enough healing, it was fine really. Lucifer's Palace was a lot easier than Purgatory I found. It didn't feel as long, and it just had a couple of easy enough mini-bosses at the beginning. Lucifer himself seemed ok, I died to him once or twice but beat him then. That move which returns a Demon to your stock is such a dick move. I abused Tetrakarn a little bit, and had a few demons with Null Ice.

Time to start Apocalypse. :unsmigghh:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

So I finished SMT IV last night. After complaining in here about not being able to beat Merkabah, I booted up the game for the first time in months and got him in a couple of tries. Once I brought in a party which didn't have weaknesses to Zio/Zan spells, and enough healing, it was fine really. Lucifer's Palace was a lot easier than Purgatory I found. It didn't feel as long, and it just had a couple of easy enough mini-bosses at the beginning. Lucifer himself seemed ok, I died to him once or twice but beat him then. That move which returns a Demon to your stock is such a dick move. I abused Tetrakarn a little bit, and had a few demons with Null Ice.

Time to start Apocalypse. :unsmigghh:

Man I would stick a game in between those two, they're very similar and it's easy to get burnt out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I'm in the middle of Superstar Saga remake so I might finish that off first. To be fair though, I literally just had to beat Merkabah and do Lucifer's Palace, and I hadn't touched IV in months prior to Friday, so it's not like I've been playing it recently and am burned out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man I'm with Garius in this, I'd recommend you to finish Superstar Saga first because, as many QOL improvements as Apocalypse has, a couple of things are gonna make you feel annoyed, especially coming from the last part of IV.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Hey, I just started playing Persona 5 last week. I've got two questions. I've seen in passing that there seems to be a Normal End and a True Ending like in Persona 5. On a scale of Persona 3 "Do you want the bad end No/Yes, I'm stupid" to Persona 4 "Multiple choice questions you must answer exactly how the developer intended, and then run around and event hunt, what is this, some kind of 90's-era PC game?", how much should I be worried about looking up how to get the good and true endings in Persona 5? I'm keeping save files at the start of the month just in case.
Also, how straightforward is making a social link your character's lover in this game? Is it a simple Yes/No, or are there any characters that have specific answers you have to give in Confidant events, like Naoto in 4 and Akihiko in P3P? Thanks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are two, one of which might as well be "hey kid, want the bad ending?". The other is only a bit more subtle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the girlfriend choice is always in rank 9 and they're pretty obvious

there's a bad end for picking the wrong choices when the story catches up to the interrogation, tho you can also get bad endings for failing deadlines for dungeons or refusing igor's contract at the beginning of the game. the true ending is the result of a really obvious question in the final dungeon. picking the other choice leads to the other ending

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thank you!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If I'm playing Male MC in P3P I can't get to rank 10 with female S. Links without romance right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

If I'm playing Male MC in P3P I can't get to rank 10 with female S. Links without romance right?

you have to date everyone if you want to max their social links iirc

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
You can't not date. You actively don't get a choice, and after it happens it gives you a hidden time limit before the link reverses. Because P3 has some pretty bad ideas.

It's 60 days for each rank up from thereon in, which doesn't sound too bad at first, but it drops by 15 days every time you hang out at all with any other datable girl.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's not true in p3p. I never had a link revert in that game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah they took that out because it was loving garbo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do you get punished for being forced to date multiple girls? And if so, do S. Links give any benefits additional like in 4 and 5 or just fusion EXP?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You aren't, and they don't. The social links are almost totally vestigial in 3.

There's one exception in regards to a minor story change but that only applies in the female route.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's not true in p3p. I never had a link revert in that game

Rad. Another reason why P3P is the best version

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's no valentine's day scene like in persona 4 or anything. way I remember it, the girls just act salty as gently caress towards each other in tartarus with no other changes whatsoever

maxing links still give you ultimate personas for their arcana. I don't think 3 unlocked persona skills like in 4 and it definitely didn't have anything like the confidant stuff in 5

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool, full speed ahead on being a cheating piece of poo poo I guess

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pablo Gigante posted:

Cool, full speed ahead on being a cheating piece of poo poo I guess

You'll do (and encourage others to do) worse.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even though it's just a weird gameplay contrivance it's p. funny that the male p3 protagonist can't not get with any single woman he gets close to, gives a little bit of character to him

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Just started Persona 5 and I need some help understanding. Because the entire beginning premise seems on the surface to be ridiculous and contrived for the sake of facilitating the deliquent plot.

The main character is treated like absolute dogshit by literally everybody for the "crime" of saving a potential rape victim. It makes no sense. I'd understand some of the adult characters feeling put out for having to deal with the nonsense, but they all plainly state what he did so they know what happened and any sane person would understand he got railroaded by corrupt police. But not a single person comments on this and instead talk like he's some kind of violent psychopath. For saving someone. Literally no one stops for a second and wonders how a kid who saved someone ended up in this situation. Nobody shows any compassion or logical thought on the matter. He did a good thing so he's a horrible monster, apparently.

The whole thing is kinda killing my enjoyment since it makes absolutely no goddamn sense. So my question is whether or not this attitude towards him has a purpose beyond simply justifying the writers need to make him a delinquent but still a "good guy" or if there's an actual plot reason for this stupidity. Or is it just a Japanese culture thing?

And if it is just a culture thing, thank God I don't live in Japan.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Esroc posted:

Just started Persona 5 and I need some help understanding. Because the entire beginning premise seems on the surface to be ridiculous and contrived for the sake of facilitating the deliquent plot.

The main character is treated like absolute dogshit by literally everybody for the "crime" of saving a potential rape victim. It makes no sense. I'd understand some of the adult characters feeling put out for having to deal with the nonsense, but they all plainly state what he did so they know what happened and any sane person would understand he got railroaded by corrupt police. But not a single person comments on this and instead talk like he's some kind of violent psychopath. For saving someone. Literally no one stops for a second and wonders how a kid who saved someone ended up in this situation. Nobody shows any compassion or logical thought on the matter. He did a good thing so he's a horrible monster, apparently.

The whole thing is kinda killing my enjoyment since it makes absolutely no goddamn sense. So my question is whether or not this attitude towards him has a purpose beyond simply justifying the writers need to make him a delinquent but still a "good guy" or if there's an actual plot reason for this stupidity. Or is it just a Japanese culture thing?

No, he "attacked the woman and then punched a pillar of the community when he tried to intervene." Your "facts" don't matter at all, because that's the testimony that was submitted by both of the victims, one of whom certainly was not susceptible to intimidation by the VIP bringing charges, during a trial in which the protagonist was at best given an overworked public defender who told the kid to accept a plea bargain after glancing at the case file for 30 seconds.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Number one: hardly anyone knows the full context behind what happened, they just know that dude beat someone up

Number two: yeah, Japanese culture comes down pretty hard on anyone with so much as a whiff of a criminal record, but honestly? We aren't that much better about sexual assault

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the real facts of what happened were brushed under the rug and most of the school is operating on like, rumors based off of rumors based off of other rumors of what they heard happened

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The true answer is how they think he's a delinquent when he looks like a mega nerd.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Your situation and the reason why you get treated the way you do at school get spelled out pretty clearly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That stuff could totally happen in the US, he would just have a few weirdoes think he was cool for it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

The true answer is how they think he's a delinquent when he looks like a mega nerd.

it's always the quiet ones you gotta look out for

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Motto posted:

Your situation and the reason why you get treated the way you do at school get spelled out pretty clearly.

Keeshhound posted:

No, he "attacked the woman and then punched a pillar of the community when he tried to intervene." Your "facts" don't matter at all, because that's the testimony that was submitted by both of the victims, one of whom certainly was not susceptible to intimidation by the VIP bringing charges, during a trial in which the protagonist was at best given an overworked public defender who told the kid to accept a plea bargain after glancing at the case file for 30 seconds.

Brother Entropy posted:

the real facts of what happened were brushed under the rug and most of the school is operating on like, rumors based off of rumors based off of other rumors of what they heard happened

Yeah, this. Not sure if you missed this part because it's part of the whole premise. Adults are lovely and you're The Cool Rebel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe play past the 1st hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Esroc posted:

The truth about what happened isn't public knowledge but the woman was strong-armed to testify against you, so there's a public testimony by a woman describing you assaulting someone.