Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can I just say I love my grandpa? Dude was born in '36, was a vet in the navy for decades. We were chatting over Thanksgiving and he was just tearing into Trump, calling it a travesty about the recovery efforts in Puerto Rico while the government spends billions on the military. Dude loving hates trump. Anyway, that's my holiday story :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, maybe don't use football playing as a reason your children deserve to score and maybe don't post about the disappointment you have about your children's failure to gently caress.

Im not saying he "deserves" to score. I was saying that physically theres nothing holding him back. That my concern is on his brain. That he has no interest isnt my dissapointment. Its my concern that he will follow the same path as my best friend and my wifes brother.

where the internet remained their social existence and they never stepped out of it.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I guess I mean england has a pretty strong monarchy, surprisingly strong, except they don't because they have a cute grandma as queen and a lot of laws probably would have been written by now to make england more of an actual democracy instead of "it acts like one but the queen actually rules everything and is just happening to rule it exactly like she didn't exist" the queen had not been so absolutely perfect at just making no noise and being very charming.

England once had a king that tried to go all reactionary and re-assert Divine Right of Kings thinking.

They killed the poo poo out of him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

stone cold posted:

okay but not really

like i can give you counter examples in terms of territorial height

look at say, the height of the Roman Empire versus the height of say, the austro-Hungarian empire

the modern empire isn’t the big one

i don’t think degree is useful for the purposes of defining empire

Size isn't really what I was thinking of.

I guess what I had in mind was the idea that modern empires began creating racial divides and narratives surrounding the fundamental inhumanness of their subjects and victims, but that's not new either so maybe I'm actually the dumb one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

why don't reporters call them on this poo poo.

they do all the time, have you watched any of the press conferences?

"that's not true" "well, I think it is" *moves to next question*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

That thread continues to this.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/935239072213237761?s=17
I don’t think Lankfords trial balloon is going anywhere.

I wouldn't expect Toomey or really anyone besides the "deficit hawks" to be in favor. They're lying, they know they're lying, and the whole point is the lying. They do not want a deficit neutral tax cut. But they can't pass the bill without at least some of the "deficit hawks". It's not like Mitch is going to see the light of putting his money where his mouth is, it's will the deficit hawks decide they're going to require him to do so.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

stone cold posted:

define empire

because like, if you’re looking through the lens of a core metropole exploiting its periphery and exercising sovereignty over a group of nations

that seems accurate my dude

How are we defining nation? Did the Gauls have a nation? The Celtiberians? All of the peoples that were subjected by the Romans were conquering one another before the Romans showed up. At what point in a pre-modern world was it ok to be raiding and conquering your neighbors and at what point is it now imperialism and bad?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

dbukalski posted:

Im not saying he "deserves" to score. I was saying that physically theres nothing holding him back. That my concern is on his brain. That he has no interest isnt my dissapointment. Its my concern that he will follow the same path as my best friend and my wifes brother.

where the internet remained their social existence and they never stepped out of it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elijahdaniel/status/897795140923686912?lang=en

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

disjoe posted:

I think it's a disgrace to Native Americans. Him being responsible for Indian Removal and all.

Point of order

Is the question whether the Queen can eviscerate Trump as a practical matter, or is the question whether the Queen can legally murder him?

The Sovereign is immune from civil or criminal suit. rex non potest peccare

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For anybody not following the pics thread.:nms:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

trump's pretty good at keeping black people away from his offices

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TheScott2K posted:

Whichever one was the first empire.

The Akkadians

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Size isn't really what I was thinking of.

I guess what I had in mind was the idea that modern empires began creating racial divides and narratives surrounding the fundamental inhumanness of their subjects and victims, but that's not new either so maybe I'm actually the dumb one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

modern empires only started bothering to do that because ancient empires didn't feel the need to bother to justify why they ruled and the defeated were massacred or enslaved beyond basically might makes right

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

yeah they're the earliest, most assholish, empire i can think of

basically every ancient source is like "you know who the biggest assholes in the whole word are? the assyrians, that's who. gently caress those guys."

IIRC the Assyrians were just some random schumuck culture nobody cared about... until they figured out iron weapons first. Then they went went kill crazy and nobody knew what the gently caress.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Can I just say I love my grandpa? Dude was born in '36, was a vet in the navy for decades. We were chatting over Thanksgiving and he was just tearing into Trump, calling it a travesty about the recovery efforts in Puerto Rico while the government spends billions on the military. Dude loving hates trump. Anyway, that's my holiday story :)

:hfive: fellow cool grandpa haver.

Mine was born in '36 as well, fought in WW2 and thinks the guy who punched Richard Spencer is "a good guy."

He also told me he wants to spite-live long enough to see Trump get impeached.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Is our internet still neutral so I can keep up with all of this poo poo show?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

sean10mm posted:

IIRC the Assyrians were just some random schumuck culture nobody cared about... until they figured out iron weapons first. Then they went went kill crazy and nobody knew what the gently caress.

What made iron weapons so superior to bronze? They seem pretty comparable but I'm not an ancient historian or metallurgist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Is our internet still neutral so I can keep up with all of this poo poo show?

for another few weeks

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

modern empires only started bothering to do that because ancient empires didn't feel the need to bother to justify why they ruled and the defeated were massacred or enslaved beyond basically might makes right

Right, but like, I dunno to me it seems like there was a fundamental shift in the way empires were motivated and justified post-1492, but that's not actually a well-supported notion necessarily when you start analyzing pre-modern empires so it is entirely possible I am simply dumb and bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

they do all the time, have you watched any of the press conferences?

"that's not true" "well, I think it is" *moves to next question*

i meant like the next person should just hound them on it. it should get to the point they don't hold them anymore.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yeah, when the English founded Jamestown they were scared absolutely shitless that the big boy in the playground named the Spanish Empire would come and smash their little toy colony. That famous triangular fort wasn't to protect against the Indians, it was to protect them from the bigger and better colonialists. And the only reason the Spanish went out and formed the colonial empire was because the French were being huge international assholes on the local scene, and because the Ottomans were singing the sixth verse of "big Muslim empire conquers most of the Middle East and causes severe trade disruptions." Which was ultimately due to the large conquering empires of Rome and Persia fighting each other so much they created a fertile ground for a new conquering Empire to spring up in the middle. The international situation for which was partially the result of the conquests and successor states of Alexander the Great. And so on.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

evilweasel posted:

for another few weeks

Setting my clock.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

How are we defining nation? Did the Gauls have a nation? The Celtiberians? All of the peoples that were subjected by the Romans were conquering one another before the Romans showed up. At what point in a pre-modern world was it ok to be raiding and conquering your neighbors and at what point is it now imperialism and bad?

nation is one of the more nebulous terms but think of it basically as an imagined community, sometimes along ethnic lines, but also along linguistic lines

it’s socially constructed but it’s also deep

i recommend picking up benedict anderson on this point

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

axeil posted:

What made iron weapons so superior to bronze? They seem pretty comparable but I'm not an ancient historian or metallurgist.

Easier to produce iron. You form a bloom and hammer it out. Bronze is a multi step process.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

http://study.com/academy/lesson/iron-vs-bronze-history-of-metallurgy.html

It appears that it's because bronze required materials that weren't often found near each other and required trade, while iron could be used on its own.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

axeil posted:

Mine was born in '36 as well, fought in WW2 and thinks the guy who punched Richard Spencer is "a good guy."
In what capacity?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Right, but like, I dunno to me it seems like there was a fundamental shift in the way empires were motivated and justified post-1492, but that's not actually a well-supported notion necessarily when you start analyzing pre-modern empires so it is entirely possible I am simply dumb and bad.

yep

not bad, just wrong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they make a desert and call it peace.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

i meant like the next person should just hound them on it. it should get to the point they don't hold them anymore.

that doesn't benefit anyone

the best thing reporters can do is get them to answer more questions stupidly

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

Kilroy posted:

In what capacity?

Child soldier.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kilroy posted:

In what capacity?

my grandpa was also a child during world war ii and fought

he wasn’t an american yet

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

axeil posted:

Iron weapons actually aren't superior to bronze. If you were a soldier and you had your pick of iron or bronze weaponry, you'd pick bronze. However if you've got to make weapons for an entire army, it's easier to do that with iron.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Can Warren sue the press secretary for slander after she said Warren lied about her heritage to advance her career?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

why don't reporters call them on this poo poo.

Because Sarah would put them in the doghouse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

that always felt like more of a technological change creating a new form of empire-building. before, if you want to build an empire, you have to conquer your neighbors. that's risky and has fairly severe downsides, not least that all your neighbors can realize what's up and gang up on you, and its hard to keep a longstanding technological edge.

the spanish figured out you can just go conquer people who have never heard of you and aren't your neighbors, then just ruthlessly extract from those areas because they don't have the technological capability to bring the war home to the aggressor state. the most they can do is make it unprofitable to conquer them, it's virtually zero downside.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

axeil posted:

Tin is pretty drat rare, while copper and iron are plentiful. If you can figure out iron-working then you don’t have to deal with rear end in a top hat merchants to get the tin you need for bronze, and you can make a shitload more swords than your neighbor that doesn’t know how to work iron.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

that doesn't benefit anyone

the best thing reporters can do is get them to answer more questions stupidly

there's no benefit to them now. it's just her lying and deflecting.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Reik posted:

Can Warren sue the press secretary for slander after she said Warren lied about her heritage to advance her career?

Maybe but its a very dumb idea for a billion reasons.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe but its a very dumb idea for a billion reasons.

Such as? It's not like the White House could treat her any worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

axeil posted:

To start it does not require tin to make, which was an element not easily found everywhere. In the Bronze Age, tin was one of the most important trade goods, and trade networks that dealt in it spanned thousands of miles. if you can process the ore, iron is much cheaper in that regard since in the ancient world labor was cheap. As for weapons, iron can be turned into steel, which is a harder material than bronze, and can retain its edge longer, and is more resistant to breaking or bending. The real element was the cost issue though, a good bronze sword is better than a straight up iron sword, its just way more expensive. Steel is where you see actual superior quality weapons and armor made.

• Locked thread