Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's just paper and wax. It'll break down a bit and/or just pass through, most likely. Watch for any signs of impaction: if he loses appetite or swells up, then get him to an exotic pets vet, but otherwise I'd expect he'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
My recently molted Versicolor. I kinda feel bad about wrecking it's web but I didn't want to leave 2 bolus' in there and it didn't seem to want to kick them out either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We have oriental fire-bellied toads at work. Last week one of them (a male of unknown age) started to become lethargic and lost his appetite. He was still alive on Friday, but this past Monday morning I found his lifeless corpse laying on the substrate under water. I didn't see any signs of bloat or redleg, but I don't know much about frog diseases.

I figured he was just old and his time came. Now our other male (again age unknown) is starting to behave the same way. What steps should I take here to make sure I don't have another weekend casualty? He otherwise looks fine to me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

We have oriental fire-bellied toads at work. Last week one of them (a male of unknown age) started to become lethargic and lost his appetite. He was still alive on Friday, but this past Monday morning I found his lifeless corpse laying on the substrate under water. I didn't see any signs of bloat or redleg, but I don't know much about frog diseases.

I figured he was just old and his time came. Now our other male (again age unknown) is starting to behave the same way. What steps should I take here to make sure I don't have another weekend casualty? He otherwise looks fine to me.

When in doubt, with fish and aquatics, water change.

Went to the Mesa reptile show today. They really really need to space that poo poo out more!

I didn't want to go period. My mom always falls in love with random ball pythons (almost always males) and I take care of them all, so I get a bit bitter when she finds yet another "oh he's so pretty!" snake she has to have. But my mom really wanted to go, and she was paying for it, so fiiine I'll go. She treated me to breakfast and we got there right after it opened, so the line was insane. And crowded like gently caress.

Poking around, I found some axolotls. They've been on my Want list for a while, but I can't do a chiller. The dude assured me they don't need one, treat em like goldfish, he breeds his like that. All brown color, so I told him i'd be back and had to think it over. I came back to check them out a few loops around later and realized their tank water was looking nasty. Oh, because one of them had been dead and I hadn't seen it before, and the water was mucking up bad. So I skipped them entirely.

But my mom found a ball she fell in love with. A $200 cinnamon female, which, okay, fine, but we don't need a cinnamon. I looked around at the same table and the dude had a blue-eyed lucy for $275, a male. I asked to see him instead. We have a lesser male, a lesser female and a lesser mohave, but the latter two are at least two years from good breeding size. Looked over the lucy, told mom if she wanted a new snake, this was perfect. She decided spending a little more for a snake we'd be trying to breed to get in a few years was worth it.

Welcome home, Ax, short for Axolotl.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I haven’t had a ball for years but I am always tempted by high white pieds and BELs. Let’s see a pic of Ax!

ETA: I remember when leucys were thousands of dollars so it still blows my mind how affordable they are now. I still balk at pieds going for hundreds; I should just buy the next one I like and be happy they aren’t 2004 prices.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 19, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Hi. I have kept Oriental Fire-bellied toads for years. My current pair of boys are more than 12 years old and still going strong, so it's probably not age unless they're really old.

There are several possibilities. When I first started keeping these toads, I did exactly what the fish store said to do (big mistake as always) and lost one within a month to what turned out to be impaction. The thing is, these frogs have small, disk-shaped tongues (genus Bombina used to be grouped in discoglossidae because of their tongues, in fact) which are incapable of spitting out things in their mouth. Thus, they must not be kept with gravel that is small enough to swallow, but too large to pass.

You know, the same pea-sized gravel that you see them kept with in every single loving fish store everywhere. :argh:

The frogs will aggressively strike at prey (usually they're fed crickets) and can easily get a chunk of gravel as well or instead of the intended morsel.

So, they should have a semi-aquatic tank setup with plenty of options for getting in and out of water, someplace both in and out of water to hide, and you should either use large pebbles or some kind of sand as your substrate.

OK, so if it wasn't impaction, the next suspect is water quality. These frogs are sensitive to chlorine/chloramine, so if you use tap water, you must use a dechlorinator. If your tap water is treated with chlorine, you can leave a bucket of tap water sitting out for a few days and the chlorine will dissipate, but chloramine will not dissipate in this way, and most people don't know which their water is treated with. So it's better to just use a squirt of basically any aquatic pet dechlorinator, you can buy them at any pet store that sells fish, or online, for pretty cheap.

What I do is use distilled water. I'm already using it for my misting system to avoid scale within the system, and it also prevents water spots in their tank. A gallon of distilled water is a dollar so I just buy like 12 gallons at a time maybe twice or three times a year and that's plenty. I also have live plants in their tank, and an always-running pump to circulate the water, which has a charcoal filter and a bacteria colony chamber that helps to break down their waste. Between the plants, the filter, and the distilled water, my water quality stays good for months on end, but yours might not, so the other thing is to regularly do partial water changes. Just drain out half the water before you add more water and you'll be removing waste and diluting the rest.

These are very hardy frogs that will survive well if they have good quality water, no dangerous gravel, regular feedigns of dusted crickets, and a good setup with both water and dry areas with hides. There is no need to use a tank heater, they live in temperate climates and will be fine at room temperatures anywhere in your house.

e. Oh I also just thought, parasites can also be an issue, but really I'm just guessing with all of the above; you'll need to describe your setup, feeding regimen, etc. to give us a hint about what might be the issue. Maybe take a few photos of your setup?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 19, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Gonna need some opinions on what to pickup from the next reptile show I plan on going to. Should I get 4 GBB's or 2 P. Metallicas?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I had no idea what either of those are so I googled and the p Metallicas look pretty sweet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

herp goons posted:

Water change

Yeah their water was changed recently. I tested it and it was pretty much ideal for all measurements.

Leperflesh posted:

you'll need to describe your setup, feeding regimen, etc. to give us a hint about what might be the issue. Maybe take a few photos of your setup?

I anticipated this, so I took some before leaving work on Friday

It's a 20-gallon aquarium filled 40-50% of the way with a huge log in the center for them to hang out on. The underwater substrate is gravel, but we never give their food in the water. They've been living like this for a few years now without any issue.

This is Takashi, the one I'm concerned about.

The females in the tank seemed absolutely fine.

I change their water semi-weekly (and test it regularly). They each get one pheonixworm three times a week. There's a light for their plants that's on a timer from 7am to 6pm or so. I can't remember the exact timing but it's approximately 11-12 hours. Anything else you need to know?

Honestly just before I left Friday Takashi passed a partially-digested phoenixworm and then seemed to be fine. Maybe it was indigestion? :shrug: I'm hoping to not see another dead frog in there when I go back to work tomorrow.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

HungryMedusa posted:

I had no idea what either of those are so I googled and the p Metallicas look pretty sweet.

GBB is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

P. Metallica

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Gonna need some opinions on what to pickup from the next reptile show I plan on going to. Should I get 4 GBB's or 2 P. Metallicas?

Personally I'd go for the GBBs. They've got more interesting behaviors imo

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Big Centipede posted:

Personally I'd go for the GBBs. They've got more interesting behaviors imo

Yeah I was personally leaning towards GBB's myself but I wasn't 100% sure yet. I'll probably grab up the GBB's.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Yeah I was personally leaning towards GBB's myself but I wasn't 100% sure yet. I'll probably grab up the GBB's.

Also, you may want some more experience with fast, arboreal Ts before making the leap to Poecs (although P metallica is one of the most mellow poecs).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So what the gently caress happened to emperor scorpions where they are now easily $100? Are they extinct in the wild or people aren't breeding them anymore?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cowslips Warren posted:

So what the gently caress happened to emperor scorpions where they are now easily $100? Are they extinct in the wild or people aren't breeding them anymore?

They're not being imported anymore and so few people were bothering to breed them that there is a drought of them now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

He's still alive but only barely. I found him floating in the water, head down. I lifted him into the log but he can hardly move at all. It's probably too late now but what the gently caress do I do? Again the females seem perfectly healthy.

:sigh: the guy I'm filling in for had a lot of confidence in me and I'm loving this up real bad

Edit: he does some "huffing" every now and then. I don't know how to describe it any better but it's like he's struggling to breathe? There's no sound but I can see it. His abdomen expands and contracts like if someone takes a couple of quick but really deep breaths.

Edit 2: He can swim a little better than he can hop or walk (he isn't able to hop anymore at all, actually), but when he's in the water he can't seem to raise his head above the surface at all. When on land he just lays on his belly. He doesn't have any strength whatsoever.

Edit 3: And just three hours later he's dead. So long buddy :smith:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 20, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Idk that you're loving up anything. I'm sorry for the mysterious and frustrating loss, though. :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my cat is norris posted:

Idk that you're loving up anything. I'm sorry for the mysterious and frustrating loss, though. :(

I don't know either. These guys have been fine for like three years under the last guy's care and now suddenly after four months under mine they're dying off :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry I didn't get back to you this weekend, just didn't get back to this thread.

I don't see anything obviously wrong with your setup either. It could still be impaction, or some kind of toxic issue... you could try switching food items, or something... but you've run up against one of the frustrations of amphibians which is that they're kind of mysterious and sometimes they just die and we don't know why. They absorb stuff from their environment, we're feeding them totally unnatural diets, and then there's just the general "quantity over quality" nature of their reproductive strategy, where some disturbingly-high percentage of animals have physiological flaws that mean they won't survive or will have a harder time surviving.

In this case you have some frogs who were apparently doing fine for a long time suddenly dying, which implies something changed, but you may never know what. It does suck.

If it's any consolation (and it isn't really, but), they're quite inexpensive. I used to see them for around five dollars each.

e. I suppose it goes without saying, but, for a price, you could have an exotics vet perform a necropsy to attempt to determine cause of death. I have no idea what exactly that'd cost, and I assume there's a good chance it could be inconclusive (don't expect some kind of CSI crime lab here), but it's maybe an option.

Also, I think I should mention that that frog did not look impacted to me. When I lost frogs to impaction they swelled up and looked really bloated. But I'm not an expert.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 20, 2017

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not quite frogs, but when I worked at the zoo, we had a foot long electric eel, Pikachu. I didn't really notice him becoming bloated until the vet had him pulled for Xrays. I thought I was overfeeding him, slowed the feeding, increased water changes....instead he had been sucking down gravel with his worms and pellets. They had to put him down.

As for animals fine and then not, before I left the aquarium, I trained my replacements for almost a month. I gave her very clear instructions and wrote down everything. Within a few months the Fly River turtle had drowned (she reorganized his tank and he got stuck) and one of the piranhas jumped out of the tank and was found dead the next morning, all dried on the ground.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Huh, so it turns out that a. versicolor slings stay in premolt for about 2 weeks or so before actually molting.

edit: Finally got some pics of my second molted versicolor. I'm not sure if I should bother the third one that molted last night though. It's gonna be so cool once they start showing colors.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 21, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Huh, so it turns out that a. versicolor slings stay in premolt for about 2 weeks or so before actually molting.

edit: Finally got some pics of my second molted versicolor. I'm not sure if I should bother the third one that molted last night though. It's gonna be so cool once they start showing colors.

Yeah give them a week or so after molting before attempting to feed them. The length of time fasting before and after molting gets longer and longer as they grow.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
How concerned should I be with one of my spiderlings molting out with one messed up leg that it ended up eating??

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Agrajag posted:

How concerned should I be with one of my spiderlings molting out with one messed up leg that it ended up eating??

Don't, that fucker is hard as nails and will grow up to be a bounty hunter.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

When they're small don't worry. It may have just been a fluke and not due to something off in their care.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Ok so for my 1 week post-molt P.Sazimai how can I tell when I should feed it, if it's still hanging out in its closed off hole?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

Ok so for my 1 week post-molt P.Sazimai how can I tell when I should feed it, if it's still hanging out in its closed off hole?

You can offer, but remove if it doesn't seem interested.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...
Hello! This is the only reptile-ish thread I can find so far, so would this be the place to ask for advice on common snapping turtles? I have one hanging out by one of my job buildings and I'm worried it is not healthy. Won't move/leave the spot, refuses apples (i have nothing else here), doesn't care for me being around, and I know they are typically very fast, so it's worrisome. Will post pics if this is the right place for this :3

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is definitely the herpetology thread, and herpetology is all about reptiles! We also include amphibians as the red-headed stepchild.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...

Leperflesh posted:

This is definitely the herpetology thread, and herpetology is all about reptiles! We also include amphibians as the red-headed stepchild.

Great! I love herping, even though there isn't much in my area (you'd think all of Florida would be perfect lol).

So here is the dinosaur in question. I haven't gone to see if it's moved the last few hours, but I hope so since it is night time now. Have never seen a snapping turtle behave so calmly, so I'm concerned. It does get scared, because sometimes my hand movements would make it retract into the shell, or it would even seem to attempt to run, but only manage to turn like 10 degrees.. If it's there still, should I look for leg injuries maybe? It's Central Florida, it hasn't actually gotten cold, just some nights get down to the 60s. Is it that? Old? Sick? Didn't want apples, but that didn't surprise me much. Did sniff em, though. Edit: i think this is a florida red belly turtle

kittycopter fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 5, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

kittycopter posted:

Great! I love herping, even though there isn't much in my area (you'd think all of Florida would be perfect lol).

So here is the dinosaur in question. I haven't gone to see if it's moved the last few hours, but I hope so since it is night time now. Have never seen a snapping turtle behave so calmly, so I'm concerned. It does get scared, because sometimes my hand movements would make it retract into the shell, or it would even seem to attempt to run, but only manage to turn like 10 degrees.. If it's there still, should I look for leg injuries maybe? It's Central Florida, it hasn't actually gotten cold, just some nights get down to the 60s. Is it that? Old? Sick? Didn't want apples, but that didn't surprise me much. Did sniff em, though. EDIT: Common snapping turtle, btw.

I believe that's a chicken turtle. Just place it somewhere near water that's safe and leave it be. If it's not obviously injured, it will probably be ok.

kittycopter
May 29, 2014

Don't worry,
he soars above us...

Big Centipede posted:

I believe that's a chicken turtle. Just place it somewhere near water that's safe and leave it be. If it's not obviously injured, it will probably be ok.

Yeah, I felt super weird thinking it was a snapping turtle. I thought alligator snappers were the crazy, scary looking guys. Chicken turtles are pretty small, this guy was rather large, and I believe it's a florida red belly. I've just rescued them from roads before, and they were always very active & fast. This one was acting the total opposite. I just felt bad, we have bears and coyotes all over, I don't want it to be unhealthy and end up eaten because it can't hide. It's near water/mud/marsh, about 5 feet. I considered moving it inches from the water, but didn't want to stress it. thank you for your advice

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

kittycopter posted:

Yeah, I felt super weird thinking it was a snapping turtle. I thought alligator snappers were the crazy, scary looking guys. Chicken turtles are pretty small, this guy was rather large, and I believe it's a florida red belly. I've just rescued them from roads before, and they were always very active & fast. This one was acting the total opposite. I just felt bad, we have bears and coyotes all over, I don't want it to be unhealthy and end up eaten because it can't hide. It's near water/mud/marsh, about 5 feet. I considered moving it inches from the water, but didn't want to stress it. thank you for your advice

Turtles are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

It's definitely some sort of cooter or redbelly. Chicken turtles have bright yellow for half their legs, lower domed shells, a pear shape, and red netting on shell. That all sounds like normal 'gently caress you human' behavior, so I wouldn't worry. Most of the sicknesses you'd see in wild turtles would have tell-tale nasal discharge or puffy eyes.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So... I did a thing. I picked up x2 Y. Diversipes and x4 C. cyaneopubescens at the reptile show today.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 10, 2017

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Agrajag posted:

So... I did a thing. I picked up x2 Y. Diversipes and x4 C. cyaneopubescens at the reptile show today.

Very nice. Gbbs are awesome. Love how they web up their whole cage.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Beardy is bruminating, I'm mad jealous of that lazy gently caress.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NM it looks like I asked this years ago hahah :v

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 12, 2017

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I have a deposit down on a hatchling gargoyle gecko, and am slowly accumulating parts of the habitat to set up while it grows a little with the breeder.

Since I have night shift, my room is super, super dark during the day. I keep it that way to sleep, but can easily sleep with a light on (it's more the movement of the sun that wakes me than the light itself). With this in mind, I'm aware that a light isn't required to keep a gargoyle in SoCal since it's rather warm all year, but I think the gecko wouldn't enjoy it being dark almost 100% of the time.

What kind of lighting should I prepare for the little guy? What kind of schedule should I keep for it so it can be a happy critter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Judging by a few recent posts this seems to be the de-facto rancho thread. Is that right?

We have a Chilean rose-hair tarantula that's doing that thing where she doesn't eat for a long time. It's been mid-September since she last had anything. Should I be worried? Her abdomen isn't wrinkled, so she's not necessarily starving or anything.

Note that she was fed a lot back then because I didn't know any better. In the span of a couple of weeks between August and September she had like two butter worms and two big fat chunks of earthworm.

Edit:

Leperflesh posted:

e. I suppose it goes without saying, but, for a price, you could have an exotics vet perform a necropsy to attempt to determine cause of death. I have no idea what exactly that'd cost, and I assume there's a good chance it could be inconclusive (don't expect some kind of CSI crime lab here), but it's maybe an option.

Late to this reply, but we didn't bother with this. It's not something I wanted to pay with my own money and it's definitely not something the university would be willing to pay for considering how cheap a new frog would be.

The guy I'm filling in for suspects they were underfed. He said something about the males regurgitating their food a lot? I don't know. If I saw that I'd just suspect they were being fed too much and feed them less anyway :shrug:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 12, 2017