Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minidust posted:

Re: table chat, I'd be interested in seeing what you PVM folks are using. Got my 20" a few weeks ago and am now moving into a house, so I've got a blank slate in terms of setup. Could use some inspiration!

btw I actually have that same LACK (LÅCK?) table, though I'm using it as an actual coffee table. Wouldn't have risked my hefty monitor in that anyways.

I had my 19" PVM on a LACK coffee table, and it was definitely pressing down into it from the weight. I think that's partly because those tables surfaces are made of melamine, which probably isn't as hard as actual wood. That said, I don't think you'd run the risk of collapsing the table, but it's probably not the most ideal stand, either.

Surprisingly, the smaller and square LACK end table I currently have my 19" on seems pretty robust all considered. Perhaps because the weight is distributed more evenly? But I wouldn't recommend it anyway, because there's no console space next to it.

If the house you're moving into has smooth floors (hardwood, linoleum, etcetera), you could look for surplus AV carts in your area. Put the PVM on top, put a console and controllers on the second level, wheel it in and out as needed. But not ideal if you're looking for some kind of permanent-like RGB gaming altar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

poo poo now I want an AV cart

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I use a Ikea Besta TV stand and the PVM hangs off the back by a few inches but it's front heavy so it doesn't matter. I also use an earthquake strap kit because lol san francisco

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Darksoft's MVS flashcart went up for presale yesterday. So far they're only available to the first 100 people who posted in his preorder thread over a year ago, but hopefully it means they'll be open for general sale before the end of the year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
420 euros though, ouch

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I found a pretty rad table at the thrift store that fits my pvm and giant crt. along with most of my consoles. I got it for like 6 bucks.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I keep my PVM on this. It's a little low for my taste but it's sturdy and I can keep some stuff on either side. I keep my consoles on a cheap shelving unit next to it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Katana's turning 19!

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/934798918520418305

I'm afraid I'm gonna buy one later this week oh god.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

eshock posted:

Darksoft's MVS flashcart went up for presale yesterday. So far they're only available to the first 100 people who posted in his preorder thread over a year ago, but hopefully it means they'll be open for general sale before the end of the year.

It looks surprisingly slick, I didn't realize there were two in the works. It only takes a few seconds to program compared to the other one, which takes minutes.

Also virtual slots are kinda neat. Should be more worthwhile once the AES one comes out, for me at least.

Here's his demo video:

https://youtu.be/Y_WYlPuEkXk

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, that thing is slick. Time to start saving my pennies for a consolized MVS...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

They're much cheaper to make, especially if you're fine with keeping RGB output and not re-encoding it to svideo/etc. I have no clue how they seem to sell on ebay for $500+.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Oh ya, native RGB is preferred. It's just something I need to start looking into. NeoGeo is the last of the major 8- and 16-bit systems that I need to pick up, but I was waiting to see how the new flashcarts came out before I committed to it.

I think it's time to commit.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Look at this guy's imgur for the most basic bare bones version as far as the electronics go:

https://imgur.com/a/aJeU3

so MV-1C ($80) + neobiosmasta ($13) + universe bios ($32) + misc ports/wires = $200ish, minus joystick?

Case options are maybe the hardest thing IMO, this guy's seems to turned out well in a Hammond 1455T2201 project case though. Also the ones inside Genesis model 2's are hilarious.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just got myself a Dreamcast and I'd like to know some good games that are not on every top10 list! aka the non-obvious gamers' essential pickups.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TeaJay posted:

I just got myself a Dreamcast and I'd like to know some good games that are not on every top10 list! aka the non-obvious gamers' essential pickups.

Illbleed, Blue Stinger

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Berserk, Cannon Spike. Fighting game, early character action game, overhead shooter respectively. Not sure how obscure they are on the internet, but your chances of stumbling upon them in the wild were slim.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Elemental Gimmick Gear and Illbleed are awesome Dreamcast games

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
My favorite Dreamcast game is still Toy Commander between the imaginative setting and variety of missions, vehicles, and weapons. To this day I’m not sure how myself of 17 years ago got the time records on some of the really long missions like Vertigo. Really a shame a true sequel got canceled and we only got Toy Racer instead. DC also has the best versions of Re-Volt! and Rayman 2 even though those are multiplatform.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

TeaJay posted:

I'm a bot that solely exists to bring up illbleed when people ask this thread what they should be playing on the Dreamcast.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

d0s posted:

poo poo now I want an AV cart

welp, this is now a thing I need in my life

I wanna feel like I'm in school but we have a sweet rear end video or presentation to watch, all the time

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

420 euros though, ouch

He takes several AES and MVS carts, crushes them to dust, and then makes the flashcart out of them. It's pretty harsh voodoo, but a person's gotta do what they gotta do.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I suppose it's still cheaper than collecting more than a few games, but jeeeeez.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TeaJay posted:

Grandia II
San Francisco Rush 2049 (those physics :psyduck:)
Giga Wing
Under Defeat

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

falz posted:

Look at this guy's imgur for the most basic bare bones version as far as the electronics go:

https://imgur.com/a/aJeU3

so MV-1C ($80) + neobiosmasta ($13) + universe bios ($32) + misc ports/wires = $200ish, minus joystick?

Case options are maybe the hardest thing IMO, this guy's seems to turned out well in a Hammond 1455T2201 project case though. Also the ones inside Genesis model 2's are hilarious.

Sweet info, thanks.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'll stump pretty hard for EGG: Elemental Gimmick Gear

The 3D boss battles have not aged super great but it's a nice looking Zeldalike the rest of the time.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The latest Retronauts episode on their Patreon, which should trickle out for free in a week, is about the retro collector's bubble and a pretty interesting episode, even though it doesn't have anything that hasn't been discussed backwards and forwards here.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

420 euros though, ouch

lol so much for it being cheaper than the NeoSD.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the AVGN or whoever would do an episode about the Socrates Educational Video System.

Because I have one I wanna sell.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Pro game choice here, one of my favorites that no one ever talks about.

TeaJay posted:

I will always flog the passable Diablo clone that is Record of Lodoss War. I may also have dumb taste in games.

Finally, has anyone seen or heard of this? I'm nowhere near curious enough to spend the $60 minimum on what ever it could be, real or fake.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
It isn’t cheap as thrift but I’m using this for my 27” wega and it’s very sturdy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018SOB6C

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Turbinosamente posted:

I will always flog the passable Diablo clone that is Record of Lodoss War. I may also have dumb taste in games.

Game was great. I don’t know how I’d feel about playing it now, but I liked it when it came out. Dumb, brainless fun.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

flyboi posted:

It isn’t cheap as thrift but I’m using this for my 27” wega and it’s very sturdy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K08PRFK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

That's more like it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think we all know that the only Dreamcast game that anyone needs to play is Typing of the Date.

(No, that isn't a typo.)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oh god it's here it's here

here is how it was when I picked it up (that bleed on the color bars has been completely tuned out thank god):

I replaced the old LS-32 and grey OBSF-30s it had installed with a new LS-56 and green OBSF-30s (the right color for this panel). I kind of regret the button choice, I have never actually had anything with Sanwa buttons and they feel way too light/sensitive and not at all satisfying to tap. Nice for fighters, not so much for shooters and this is going to be a dedicated vertical cab. I am probably going to end up replacing them with Seimitsu PS-14-GNs. I spent a long loving time adjusting the colors, the monitor (15/24khz Nanao MS9 w/Toshiba tube, standard for NAC) is pretty old and obviously has seen a lot of use but with adjustment everything looks great, only very slight burn-in visible only on completely white screens.

this thing is filthy. the control panel is full of cigarette ash. and the wire harnesses are gross as hell. I did a cursory cleaning to just wipe off the layer of dust that was on everything but I'll be completely stripping it down and doing a proper clean as soon as I can, before it can enter the house. I'm also going to completely redo the control wiring as the previous operator did some crazy poo poo with tying wires together and electrical tape. Only buttons 1-3 are working, and the rest go to neither the JAMMA harness or kick harness. I'll probably make a new JAMMA harness as well. I get electrocuted whenever I touch the power supply or some other metal points so I need to ground everything properly.

owning one of these has been a dream of mine for idk how long and I'm so glad to finally have one. it's just as fun to play on as you think it is, absolutely killer. I feel like I don't need need any other piece of game equipment in my life, ever (well maybe a second cab for horizontal stuff, from the metal candy cab era this time, but lol i'll never find that)

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 28, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

When I worked for Obsidian, there was a bug filed about Alpha Protocol’s use of the word “electrocuted.” The correct term here is “shocked.” The word “Electrocution” is portmanteau of Electric and Execution.

This factoid brought to you (and me 8 years ago) by Obsidian co-founder Darren Monahan.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't wait to see that thing all cleaned up.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

d0s posted:

oh god it's here it's here

here is how it was when I picked it up (that bleed on the color bars has been completely tuned out thank god):

I replaced the old LS-32 and grey OBSF-30s it had installed with a new LS-56 and green OBSF-30s (the right color for this panel). I kind of regret the button choice, I have never actually had anything with Sanwa buttons and they feel way too light/sensitive and not at all satisfying to tap. Nice for fighters, not so much for shooters and this is going to be a dedicated vertical cab. I am probably going to end up replacing them with Seimitsu PS-14-GNs. I spent a long loving time adjusting the colors, the monitor (15/24khz Nanao MS9 w/Toshiba tube, standard for NAC) is pretty old and obviously has seen a lot of use but with adjustment everything looks great, only very slight burn-in visible only on completely white screens.

this thing is filthy. the control panel is full of cigarette ash. and the wire harnesses are gross as hell. I did a cursory cleaning to just wipe off the layer of dust that was on everything but I'll be completely stripping it down and doing a proper clean as soon as I can, before it can enter the house. I'm also going to completely redo the control wiring as the previous operator did some crazy poo poo with tying wires together and electrical tape. Only buttons 1-3 are working, and the rest go to neither the JAMMA harness or kick harness. I'll probably make a new JAMMA harness as well. I get electrocuted whenever I touch the power supply or some other metal points so I need to ground everything properly.

owning one of these has been a dream of mine for idk how long and I'm so glad to finally have one. it's just as fun to play on as you think it is, absolutely killer. I feel like I don't need need any other piece of game equipment in my life, ever (well maybe a second cab for horizontal stuff, from the metal candy cab era this time, but lol i'll never find that)

Formula 409 will be your best friend. When I got my cab nearly 20 years ago now it was in the same gross shape. 409 just melted the nicotine and tar away. Only thing that never got better was the coin door which always stayed tan.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Djarum posted:

Formula 409 will be your best friend. When I got my cab nearly 20 years ago now it was in the same gross shape. 409 just melted the nicotine and tar away. Only thing that never got better was the coin door which always stayed tan.

Awesome, been wondering what would be good to use. Is your cab fiberglass as well? Just want to make sure it's safe on this material.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best solution for housing a big CRT is an old hifi/TV entertainment cabinet. Check Craigslist, I guarantee that at least a dozen of them are being given away in your area, for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

flyboi posted:

That is $25 cheaper than when I looked at it the other day when CRT TV stands/carts peaked my interest and I did a few searches.

I have many leather bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Silhouette posted:

The best solution for housing a big CRT is an old hifi/TV entertainment cabinet. Check Craigslist, I guarantee that at least a dozen of them are being given away in your area, for free.

Exactly, people who rarely get new TVs and weren't ready to go HD are hitting 10-15 years since they purchased their last CRT, so there will be free ones on CL or Thrift Stores. However, in 10 years or so, I imagine a lot of that will be gone except for stuff people shoved in their basements or storage areas.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 28, 2017