Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Tunklord Supreme posted:

one more for the list, ICR.

took me a little over 30 hours of grinding and 400 legendary quests.

With less than 24 hours to spare. Grats, man.

RIP game. I hated/loved you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Couldn't have really asked for a more fitting end than missing the deadline to shut off the servers twice

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not sure I even remember ICR's original name(s). Eiffel For You or something?

I Came In Rugio

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

kelp kills again

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
And of course the status page still says everything is online, and the game launcher doesn't give you the offline indicator. But, welp, end of an era. At least I don't have to bother grinding 200 more kurse runs to try for one last achievement.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Spent $20 during a big sale, played almost 70 hours, 65 of which were probably spent running around midtown goofing off. It was really cool being able to play as Nightcrawler, Ghost Rider, and, of course, Squirrel Girl, whose nut facts never failed to amuse.

Here's to the thug whose jaw I broke at least 100 times. Never once did you not complain about it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lux Aeterna posted:

Couldn't have really asked for a more fitting end than missing the deadline to shut off the servers twice
Shakespeare really was anticipating Merkin Hebrons by hundreds of years when he wrote the lines, "nothing in his life / Became him like the leaving it".

Godspeed, you crazy Gazillion diamonds. Except for those of you who played an active part in running the game into the ground – you can just gently caress off.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

C'mon Mr. Disney, give me my Morple Horples back

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Goodbye Mister Hippopotamus.

You will be missed.

Mr. Gaz you were cool but then you diddled and did some Flowers in the Attic stuff. Kinda. Either way it was not cool and Mr. Disney does not like it when you mess with their lifeblood aka the kids.

Until we all find common ground in another game that’s free and loot-based, brethren.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Do we have any confirmation at all that this decision had anything to do with the CEO's perversions? If the game had actually been making money couldn't they have just replaced him? Of course if the game had been making money he wouldn't have come on to start with, but in theory if he came on and his console-centered strategy had worked they could have simply had him removed? Or was there no board of directors and he just bought the entire company somehow when he came in?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

davebo posted:

Do we have any confirmation at all that this decision had anything to do with the CEO's perversions? If the game had actually been making money couldn't they have just replaced him? Of course if the game had been making money he wouldn't have come on to start with, but in theory if he came on and his console-centered strategy had worked they could have simply had him removed? Or was there no board of directors and he just bought the entire company somehow when he came in?

He bought the whole company to use to lure children in. "Oh, you like super heroes? I own a company all about super heroes! You should come into this basement and see our server."

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Zaodai posted:

He bought the whole company to use to lure children in. "Oh, you like super heroes? I own a company all about super heroes! You should come into this basement and see our server."

If true, would explain why the server was left on longer than "intended"

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
RIP poo poo game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

davebo posted:

They were losing the contract well before that whole thing blew up, it's just a funny coincidence that he was outed right before the entire company ground to a rest in the dirt. Disney is just notoriously lovely to work with on video games.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Goodbye, sweet price. You were beautiful until you weren't.

For its death throes last night we got another 24K Gs that the entire chat had no idea what to do with, and Monday Madness auto-triggered.

PS: gently caress the earn rate for infinity points.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

If you have kids who want to be entrepreneurs, please be sure to show them this game.

Tell them this is everything you do not want to do.

It’s a lesson in how to screw up a sure thing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

Goodbye, sweet price. You were beautiful until you weren't.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So many hours wasted. I even had unspent money sitting in all three platforms...gently caress.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I feel if the game launched with an actual way to earn heroes without cash it would have been more successful and not have had a huge exodus of people who left and never came back.
Or maybe not, because then people wouldn't have paid $20 for the privilege of playing Iron Man, and Gaz would have been broke from the start. It was always a weird business model, really. In games like PoE or hell, Guild Wars 2, you can buy those $5 sword skins or a new mount or something. With Marvel Heroes, when I bought SG's aviator outfit I had no need to buy anything else for her. Same with Captain Marvel, I bought her original appearance costume on like Day 1 and never spent another dime (on her).

I'm not sure how much money I spent. Probably around $200. Steam says $40 but I did most of my purchasing back before it was on Steam, not to mention the packs from before the release. I think my time played on Steam was a little over 400 hours, but even after it was on Steam I kept using the standalone launcher for a while. So maybe like...500? 550?

Long live Ms. Marvel Captain Marvel, queen of punching poo poo.

Never cosmiced anyone either, even though I was tempted to do so with Captain Marvel and/or Squirrel Girl.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

If you have kids who want to be entrepreneurs, please be sure to show them this game.

Tell them this is everything you do not want to do.

It’s a lesson in how to screw up a sure thing.

I don't know, I think Gaz was a stellar success compared to APB. They got 100 million invested because they were gonna create essentially a Grand Theft Auto mmo then they made the most amazing character customization I'd ever seen and totally hosed up the actual game part of it, shutting down a month after launch.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
At least APB was relaunched which I doubt is going to happen to this game.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Andrigaar posted:

Monday Madness auto-triggered
wait what

was... was the switch-flipper a lie this whole time?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Humerus posted:

I feel if the game launched with an actual way to earn heroes without cash it would have been more successful and not have had a huge exodus of people who left and never came back.
Or maybe not, because then people wouldn't have paid $20 for the privilege of playing Iron Man, and Gaz would have been broke from the start. It was always a weird business model, really. In games like PoE or hell, Guild Wars 2, you can buy those $5 sword skins or a new mount or something. With Marvel Heroes, when I bought SG's aviator outfit I had no need to buy anything else for her. Same with Captain Marvel, I bought her original appearance costume on like Day 1 and never spent another dime (on her).

I'm not sure how much money I spent. Probably around $200. Steam says $40 but I did most of my purchasing back before it was on Steam, not to mention the packs from before the release. I think my time played on Steam was a little over 400 hours, but even after it was on Steam I kept using the standalone launcher for a while. So maybe like...500? 550?

Long live Ms. Marvel Captain Marvel, queen of punching poo poo.

Never cosmiced anyone either, even though I was tempted to do so with Captain Marvel and/or Squirrel Girl.
If nothing else, Marvel Heroes introduced me to these two characters who just own so hard.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Man I really am going to miss this game, I wish they hadn't hosed it up so much. It was boring and grindy as hell, then you got over the early hump and had a decent xp bonus and plenty of chars and it was awesome, then you burned out of content or your friends quit and it sucked again. They fixed the newbie area and story campaign years too late and stopped adding content as soon as the bulk of players actually needed it. You don't need to reinvent the wheel every year, just keep adding more road and cool cars wtf.

Someone hire Brevik to do a DC or Star Wars ARPG so we can start this all over again.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

bagrada posted:

Star Wars ARPG

I'm gonna look into a crystal ball here and forsee him wanting to stay as far from Disney as possible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kainser posted:

Lady Loki was the only good costume for him. Also god drat, did she always have that cleavage? :eyepop:

Yah Lady Loki was always stacked. Lotta good costumes there, too bad Gaz had to Gaz it up

Saint Freak posted:

Here Lies Silver Surfer

He Will Literally Never Be In Any Video Games Again

I always have a soft spot for any game that lets you play the Fantastic Four, at this one had Doom and Surfer to boot! That will literally never happen again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello thread

i have literally never played this game nor did i care that it existed

but it was absolutely hilarious from an outsider's perspective to see the title go from "ATTN ITS TIME TO LOG IN GAMES GREAT NOW" to "GAME DEAD LOL"

thank you for your service to this comedy website

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I always have a soft spot for any game that lets you play the Fantastic Four, at this one had Doom and Surfer to boot! That will literally never happen again.

If only they'd managed to sneak Namor in too.

Saint Freak posted:

I'm gonna look into a crystal ball here and forsee him wanting to stay as far from Disney as possible.

Good point. I'm just new to mobile games and bummed at how much worse (imho) Galaxy of Heroes and DC Legends are compared to Future Fight.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Coolguye posted:

hello thread

i have literally never played this game nor did i care that it existed

but it was absolutely hilarious from an outsider's perspective to see the title go from "ATTN ITS TIME TO LOG IN GAMES GREAT NOW" to "GAME DEAD LOL"

thank you for your service to this comedy website

game has been dead since it was time to login and great, basically

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Marvel heroes is still alive in my heart.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Strange Matter posted:

If nothing else, Marvel Heroes introduced me to these two characters who just own so hard.

I had no clue who Squirrel Girl was until Marvel Heroes, and it turns out I actually own her first appearance. It was in some comic's annual issue that had an Art Adams cover with Wolverine so of course I bought it, but had multiple stories inside so I didn't bother reading the Squirrel Girl one or just didn't remember.

Edit: It was a quarterly Marvel Super-Heroes book and it was an Erik Larsen cover.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 27, 2017

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

wait what

was... was the switch-flipper a lie this whole time?

Gaz programmed a non deterministic automatic system.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

bagrada posted:

Someone hire Brevik Doomsaw out of retirement to do a DC or Star Wars ARPG so we can start this all over again.

Remember, Brevik was the original reason this game was a loving mess. It took an actual talented dev to pull this one of of its initial shitter while Brevik got "promoted" out of the dev loop.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Hey now, it was Brevik's idea to make the cosmic trial hard enough for his wife to not pass it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grinning Goblin posted:

Hey now, it was Brevik's idea to make the cosmic trial hard enough for his wife to not pass it.

Brevik's continual frustration with his wife was always funny.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

McSpanky posted:

Brevik's continual frustration with his wife was always funny.

It was great on the stream where someone finally asked them about the CEO and Brevik tried to do some kind of corporate diplomatic non-comment but his wife just goes "nah gently caress that guy"

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Monday Madness auto-triggered.

This goes against everything I know about the game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The laid off switch flipper got paid a premium to come in as an outside contractor to turn the servers off. He made coffee while in the office and flipped on monday madness while browsing message boards and getting the last of the good candy bars from the vending machine. Then once the coffee went cold, he pulled the plug on the game and went home.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bagrada posted:

Good point. I'm just new to mobile games and bummed at how much worse (imho) Galaxy of Heroes and DC Legends are compared to Future Fight.

There's like 6 kinds of licensed mobile games:
The Galaxy of Heroes/DC Legends turn based squad battle
Clash of Clans
The ones where you have like a dozen locations on a map you just dump Energy/Stamina/Whatever into and your heroes might as well not even exist
Puzzle Quest
2D fighter
Extremely shallow Diablo

Marvel has done them all and closed a few. DC has only done the first one and 2D fighter for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I changed most of my online handles from Rufio to Rugio because of this game. Also opened Rugio's Pizza and business is great