Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
There's a common bit of wisdom that Boston is the most racist city in America. But as someone who's pale as snow and never lived anywhere but Boston, I really have nothing to compare that to.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I've only ever heard that from people who have never been to Boston. I obviously can't speak to the experience of a person of color but in my extremely, blindingly white experience Boston is way more diverse and open than anywhere else I've lived.

Boston has had some problems with racism and the history is definitely there, and it's not just gone, but the most racist place in America it loving is not.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I bet it's mostly because of that infamous flag picture. I'm assuming the context has changed a lot since then.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Jesus Christ, these books are REAL?!?!?!?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Jesus Christ, these books are REAL?!?!?!?

drat I really wanna buy that but 30 bucks is a bit much for what is probably a lovely book

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
It seems weird to give your protagonist an implausible sandwich based name just to spend the whole series disclaiming the sandwich connection in your titles.

edit: Also that boat is named Crap

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slime posted:

the teenager was right to mock this, who the gently caress eats beans in a cinema

https://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-the-candy-aisle/boston-baked-beans/

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've only ever heard that from people who have never been to Boston. I obviously can't speak to the experience of a person of color but in my extremely, blindingly white experience Boston is way more diverse and open than anywhere else I've lived.

Boston has had some problems with racism and the history is definitely there, and it's not just gone, but the most racist place in America it loving is not.

I do tech support/ training work all around NY, NJ, PA, OH, and New England which puts me into a lot of factory/labor environments, and yes I still hear some talk in places like South Boston and Lowell, but it doesn't shine a candle to the unabashed, old-school racism of Buffalo.

There's also so many different flavors of racism that are perceived to be acceptable- you'll see a white guy display face-to-face politeness towards a black person but call a Sikh a camel jockey because there's zero consequence to abusing Muslims and Indians.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

An oldie but still makes me laugh every single time.

This one hosed with my head far too long

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I do tech support/ training work all around NY, NJ, PA, OH, and New England which puts me into a lot of factory/labor environments, and yes I still hear some talk in places like South Boston and Lowell, but it doesn't shine a candle to the unabashed, old-school racism of Buffalo.

The Last Seduction has a quick, funny skewering of Buffalo's racism. I might be misremembering it....

A black PI (IIRC) stops by an office and says that he's here to see so-and-so. The receptionist says take a seat, I'll call you up. PI sits down. She calls up and says, "sir, there's a black man to see you." She waves the PI up and he goes.

Camera lingers for a second.

A colleague passes the receptionist. Recptionist says, conversationally, "did you hear about the black guy?"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

This one hosed with my head far too long

I turned my head sideways and still couldn't parse it. I had to copy this image into Photoshop and rotate it before my brain figured out what it was seeing.

Then I see the original and my brain shorts out again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I turned my head sideways and still couldn't parse it. I had to copy this image into Photoshop and rotate it before my brain figured out what it was seeing.

Then I see the original and my brain shorts out again.

Yeah, it's mind-gently caress for sure.

Someone on Reddit said it's because how we're wired for face recognition and the fact it's a flat image. We start with what we are assuming is the left eye and go "this might be a face". Then scan right, see the nose, but it looks enough like an eye the brain goes "OK almost definitely a face" and locks in a vertical orientation. Then the we see the REAL left eye and go "no too many eyes, that's a nose", and the left ear at the bottom looks enough like a mouth to finish it up. Then the brain goes "It's a face! A supremely hosed up, mutant face."

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Do people really think that Boston is still this openly racist in 2017?

Only against Italians.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's mind-gently caress for sure.

Someone on Reddit said it's because how we're wired for face recognition and the fact it's a flat image. We start with what we are assuming is the left eye and go "this might be a face". Then scan right, see the nose, but it looks enough like an eye the brain goes "OK almost definitely a face" and locks in a vertical orientation. Then the we see the REAL left eye and go "no too many eyes, that's a nose", and the left ear at the bottom looks enough like a mouth to finish it up. Then the brain goes "It's a face! A supremely hosed up, mutant face."

The two-tone pattern in the dog's fur, as well as the pillows on the left of the photo that match the brown fur, made me believe for awhile that I was looking at two dogs situated in such a way that their faces were blending together.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Protowizard/status/935256350782783488

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

But they already make beer for dogs. It’s called beer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Phanatic posted:

But they already make beer for dogs. It’s called beer.

Don’t give alcohol to your pets, it can kill them. Heck hops(in beer) and grapes(in wine) are toxic to dogs on their own.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Nov 28, 2017

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
My dog crushes 2-3 tall boys a night. He's gets really pissed if he doesn't get it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Relax, I can quit giving beer to my dog any time I want to.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

RatHat posted:

Don’t give alcohol to your pets, it can kill them. Heck hops(in beer) and grapes(in wine) are toxic to dogs on their own.

Alcohol can kill people and is toxic on its own. Dose is everything. I’m not giving my dog beer but if he knocks over someone’s bottle of Corona and starts licking it up I’m not going to freak out over it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/RFStew/status/934857841717866496

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phanatic posted:

Alcohol can kill people and is toxic on its own. Dose is everything. I’m not giving my dog beer but if he knocks over someone’s bottle of Corona and starts licking it up I’m not going to freak out over it.

I would if he makes a habit of it.

cnut
May 3, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I haven't actually (literally) lol'd (out loud) at a picture in quite a while. This made me do the Muttley laugh.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

You keep looking and it just gets worse... HOOVES!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

These are pretty great

https://imgur.com/gallery/eveUd

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

she's marrying the 5th in line to the British throne

Memento has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Nov 28, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Original site:

http://keatonpatti.tumblr.com/tagged/antique

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Please don't post gifs of dead cats.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

dialhforhero posted:

Please don't post gifs of dead cats.

Dead inside doesn't count.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://i.imgur.com/J9qxVAW.gif&v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The cat can't see the laser pointer because it's blind from having a laser shone into its goddamn eyes too much.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The cat is paralyzed, remembering C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Expectations subverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Made a video of my dog's goofy yawn..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6F8ZzmJxzw

Went back and changed the audio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-1pyCBTMRo