Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Neil Armbong posted:

The happiest baby/toddler on the block are probably the most common sense books I skimmed through and are full of things that I figured most sensible people did. This isn't some humble brag, they're just what I thought were common sense things to do with a kid.

No one knows everything about raising kids and just kinda makes it up as they go, but the only advice I can really offer are these:

1) Read to your kid every day, even when they're just a baby
2) Be patient. The kid legit doesn't know a thing and patience is the greatest gift you can give your child IMO
3) Find a balance for you and your wife to find time for yourselves. It can feel selfish as hell, but it's v important for your health and the health of the household
4) No shame in calling/going to the doc if you don't know what's going on
5) Every kid is different and develops differently, don't get caught on up on what you're kid isn't doing. Just enjoy your time with them

I wish I had more patience. But man..... kids just know how to push all your buttons on some days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I wish I had more patience. But man..... kids just know how to push all your buttons on some days.

Yep, I have to dig deep some days, but I've been surprised at the patience I have with him since there are other areas of life where patience can be a struggle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kalli posted:

mpreg?

Yep, you're about to find out what those 5 letters mean if you don't know, and then feel as much shame as when you found out about furries.

By the way, I have a 28 year old cousin who posts tons and tons and tons of this stuff about Voltron, and she is my source on so much of this culture.

I want to guess it's the pilots who are boning but I know deep in my heart it's the robots

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

mpreg?

Yep, you're about to find out what those 5 letters mean if you don't know, and then feel as much shame as when you found out about furries.

By the way, I have a 28 year old cousin who posts tons and tons and tons of this stuff about Voltron, and she is my source on so much of this culture.

Goddamnit Kalli. I didn't need to learn about this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would encourage any parent to learn as much as they can about how other cultures raise children, and think about family in general. You'll undoubtedly wind up wanting to mostly do things that are normal in our culture, but some perspective is really good for dispelling common myths or at least getting you to think about a lot of the basic assumptions that we make without thinking.

Like for example, where baby should sleep at night: in a separate room, in a crib in your room, in your bed? And: how should you respond to a crying baby?

Another thing I'd strongly suggest is learning & teaching "baby sign." Babies are capable of nonverbal communication far earlier than they can start speaking, and by teaching a dozen or so simple signs, your baby can tell you things that are otherwise hard to figure out. It lowers their frustration and makes for a happier baby. Basic signs include "eat," "more," "done," "mommy," and some situational stuff like "water" and "banana."

My sister used baby sign with both of her boys and it was really cool to see a preverbal baby specifically asking for milk, or saying they're done eating. There's a ton of products about it you can buy but don't bother, you can just watch some youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSZfW4gVhI
This baby is just beginning to acquire spoken words but has basically double the vocabulary because of her baby signs.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 27, 2017

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

So noted scumbag James O'Keefe tried to discredit the Moore accusers by baiting WaPo with a fake one.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Neil Armbong posted:

2) Be patient. The kid legit doesn't know a thing and patience is the greatest gift you can give your child IMO

Regarding this, I found it helpful to think of it as my child is basically learning literally the entire world from scratch. Think of all you know and how long it took you to acquire all of that information. It's pretty fascinating to see them do it too.

Edit: and, frustratingly enough, it's not exactly the same world you learned and thus the information you have is also not 100% translatable to them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

fsif posted:

I'm having my first kid pretty soon. Any recommendations on parenting books?

Like everyone has told me most of them are a crock, but there must be something.

Beyond Armbong's tips, We went to a rigid feeding / bedtime schedule by 8 weeks and that seemed to coincide with her sleeping through the night. It also put our minds at ease if we wanted to let her cry for a few minutes before checking on her since we knew she had all her calories for the day so we weren't leaving her hungry. We also started playing the same song each night as we prep for bed and if she's fussy that seems to calm her down since she knows what's happening.

I also know it's not all because of that and we got _extremely_ lucky.

Also just be OK with walking away during a meltdown for a moment. There were times my patience was near the limit and I'd just put her in the bassinet and walk away for 60 seconds and that'd be enough to regroup and get back to trying to calm her down.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thank you goons.

(And also thank you for not going for the low-hanging "don't pass down your fandom" fruit.)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

The best part about this story is that by trying to fake an accusation and getting easily caught, they prove the actual victims are being truthful

Nov 6, 2002

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The best part about this story is that by trying to fake an accusation and getting easily caught, they prove the actual victims are being truthful

quote:

In the interview, she told Reinhard that she was so upset she couldn’t finish her salad.

That had to be the give away.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The cherry on top with Trump's latest racism,

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/935275318641872898

In front of the portrait of Andrew Jackson

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I loving hate that thing he does with his thumb and index finger

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cash Monet posted:

The cherry on top with Trump's latest racism,

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/935275318641872898

In front of the portrait of Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson ran on a platform promising to kill Indians and by god did he keep his promise

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I've used up my free WaPo articles for the month, could you quote the first paragraph or two?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think it also proved that the journalists won't just run off of any source, and will work to validate / disprove vague claims!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Kids are the best thing you will worry about non-stop.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Dogs are great
https://i.imgur.com/HStuils.mp4

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I miss my dog. Being a continent away sucks

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Skwirl posted:

I've used up my free WaPo articles for the month, could you quote the first paragraph or two?

Sure:

WaPo posted:

In a series of interviews over two weeks, the woman shared a dramatic story about an alleged sexual relationship with Moore in 1992 that led to an abortion when she was 15. During the interviews, she repeatedly pressed Post reporters to give their opinions on the effects that her claims could have on Moore’s candidacy if she went public.

The Post did not publish an article based on her unsubstantiated account. When Post reporters confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and an Internet posting that raised doubts about her motivations, she insisted that she was not working with any organization that targets journalists.

But on Monday morning, Post reporters saw her walking into the New York offices of Project Veritas, an organization that targets the mainstream news media and left-leaning groups. The organization sets up undercover “stings” that involve using false cover stories and covert video recordings meant to expose what the group says is media bias.

And of course, it was a concerted effort:

quote:

That same day, Gateway Pundit, a conservative site, spread a false story from a Twitter account, @umpire43, that said, “A family friend in Alabama just told my wife that a WAPO reporter named Beth offer her 1000$ to accuse Roy Moore.” The Twitter account, which has a history of spreading misinformation, has since been deleted.

And finally, the money shot; undone because she could afford moving to New York to own libs on her own:

quote:

Alice Crites, a Post researcher who was looking into Phillips’s background, found the document that strongly reinforced the reporters’ suspicions: a Web page for a fundraising campaign by someone with the same name. It was on the website GoFundMe.com under the name Jaime Phillips.

“I’m moving to New York!” the May 29 appeal said. “I’ve accepted a job to work in the conservative media movement to combat the lies and deceipt of the liberal MSM. I’ll be using my skills as a researcher and fact-checker to help our movement. I was laid off from my mortgage job a few months ago and came across the opportunity to change my career path."

So they were caught manufacturing actual fake news and are now probably going to claim that this article, about them making fake news, is fake news and a non-trivial portion of the electorate is going to believe it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Any of you need a new calendar?

:nws: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/3981747240/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That had to be the give away.
And this:
"Again, Phillips had arrived early and was waiting for McCrummen, her purse resting on the table. When McCrummen put her purse near Phillips's purse to block a possible camera, Phillips moved hers."

McCrummen is the journo.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Unless they bottled up the loophole you get infinite free wapo in incognito mode

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Unless they bottled up the loophole you get infinite free wapo in incognito mode

They haven't!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

uBlock Origin works too if you use Firefox.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Washington Post is the one one newspaper I actually pay for. It's only like 10 bucka for a year, and this story demonstrates exactly why newspapers with ethics and solid journalism are now more important than ever.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah I really wanna ditch nyt after that piss poor profile of that neonazi

Really pissed me off that they included a buy link for a loving armband

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

There are two, maybe three people in my mom's side of the family who would unironically use this calendar.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah I'm fine paying WaPo. Their mobile app rules.

Also I get washington sports headlines for some reason.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

C-Euro posted:

There are two, maybe three people in my mom's side of the family who would unironically use this calendar.

100% of TFF would unironically use a Vince Wilfork body calendar so I don't think we should judge

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

They sometimes like to pretend they are still a local DC paper.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DocPop/status/935291137148960769

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Oh you have to include the Jezebel article, it's hilarious.

https://jezebel.com/i-am-yet-again-not-in-this-years-erotic-carp-calendar-1820764876

Jezebel posted:

I Am (Yet Again) Not in This Year's Erotic Carp Calendar, Nor Am I in Their Calendar Devoted to Women BBQing Nude

As you may or may not know (I hope you do know, given the severity of the situation at this point), for the past few years, I have expressed the desire to be asked to be a featured model in the (according to the calendar’s blurb on Amazon, and my heart) “cult fishing calendar” the Carponizer Erotic Carp Fishing Calendar, published by a man named Hendrik Pöhler.

Last year, Hendrik and I corresponded, but I did not appear to be much closer to achieving my goal. This year, I am still on his contact list—promising—though things have developed further, and not necessarily in the direction I would have liked. You see, Hendrik and his friends also publish an erotic barbecuing calendar, and I also have never been asked to model for that.

“Hello,” Hendrik wrote to just me and me alone, “the new Carponizer Carp Calendar 2018 is available, perhaps you are interested in a story. If you want, I can send you free sample.” He then enclosed several stunning images of, as we have come to expect, some nude women with some fish. (See above.)

I was out of the office when this missive was sent to me, but I was not away when the following note was sent, which really sent the message home that I had been excluded from even more festive nudity. “Hello,” Hendrik wrote. “We have a second calendar. It’s a barbecue calendar. You can have a look here. Perhaps you are also interested in an article? I also can share you some 2-3 videos. You can have a look on our Facebook page.”

At first, I was thrown. The fish was one thing, but now the red meat??????????????? Now BBQ-Chicks Grillkalender 2018????????????????????? I would not be the subject of such Facebook captions as “Dana is preparing us a delicious chicken [smily face emoji] Which of you is using his rotisserie too [smily face emoji]”?????????????????????????????

I continue to share this story with you all only because this experience has provided me some much-needed perspective on life. You might never accomplish your original dreams, but, most comfortingly, those dreams are likely to change. You see, you may start with fish, but end up wanting beef.

FizFashizzle posted:

The Capital Weather Gang has won multiple awards for being the best weather-related news reporting out there. That alone is enough for my :10bux:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

epic levels of not mad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I did a christmas in the calendar gulags back before smart phones and novelty slutty calendars got me through multiple minutes of those dreadful shifts.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

100% of TFF would unironically use a Vince Wilfork body calendar so I don't think we should judge

Man who wants a Wilfork body calendar? I'm waiting on the full sized Wilfork body pillow personally.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 28, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Do you guys want to found SEAL team 7 and go and topple ISIS? I bet we could all combine to form a particular set of skills

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I’m handsome and tall enough to masquerade as a Bollywood actor, I know those movies are popular all over the Middle East

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Do you guys want to found SEAL team 7 and go and topple ISIS? I bet we could all combine to form a particular set of skills

My ability to process financial aid paperwork will bring freedom to all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'll bark and beg for fish.

• Locked thread