Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
wow, that was a REALLY short game.

8$ covers the animations, backgrounds, and soundtrack at least - and I really liked the animations and character expressions.
Maybe some of the writing, though I could complain about it at length. Thought it was funny when I clicked a spice shaker on a hole in the floor and it told me "You don't have a HOLE lot of THYME to mess around right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think the writing does an adequate job regarding Joey, at least if you take time to experience it. Jake is real, real bad at being a parent.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I want the ending of the game to be a giant snake showing up and you having to escape before it gets there

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

paranoid randroid posted:

i think the writing does an adequate job regarding Joey, at least if you take time to experience it. Jake is real, real bad at being a parent.

I think that could have been extrapolated from his grandparenting.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's pretty much stated in the comic that "special powers" of any variety are relatively common in the low castes (brown, rust, yellow) and infinitesimally rare in higher castes, which is why Vriska is such an outlier as a highblood with mind control powers and Equius' strength is considered freakish. And of course even the low castes don't ALL have psychic powers or whatever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BTW any ideas on the names for the new trolls? The two Capricorns I got pretty quickly, but I'm lost on the others.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Samovar posted:

BTW any ideas on the names for the new trolls? The two Capricorns I got pretty quickly, but I'm lost on the others.

Maymay Naemes

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Daraya Jonjet = Daria Joan Jett

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Most of the original troll names referenced mythology, foreign languages and classics, so it's a little weird for the Hiveswap troll brigade to have names that are just "generic alien sounding stuff/pop culture reference". I guess you could argue that since the 12 Homestuck trolls created Earth, their particular alien weirdness filtering down into our culture while other trolls' alien weirdness didn't is substantiated. But it still feels like a bit of a step down.

(The only original troll name that was a low brow reference instead of a highbrow one was, of course, Gamzee.)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lets keep in mind were still taking about the world where troll will smith existed

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh absolutely. But that's way funnier than "generic alien syllables".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What I'm saying is if anything she should be called Troll Joan Jett

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

re-reading parts of this and boy did homestuck peak early huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NtMgUpnXeU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hey kids! Do you like metaphysical taxonomy? Have you ever wished that there'd be a canonical way to determine which moon your dream self resides in? Then do I have some news for you!

Hussie posted:

Here's another huge deal announcement. A "bomb shell", you could say. The zodiac has officially been extended to include 288 signs, instead of the meager assortment of 12 you are familiar with. The resulting system is known as the Extended Zodiac. You may determine your True Sign by taking a test, if you wish.

I envisioned an expansion like this a couple years ago, when it became clear that due to the large volume of NPCs in Hiveswap, many new troll symbols would have to be created. So we made a large library of symbols to draw from when designing characters (A lot more symbols than characters. Don't worry, the game roster isn't THAT out of control.) But why stop at just a static library of new signs when you could take the opportunity to reinvent astrology itself?

The test uses a couple other personal classifiers from Homestuck lore to triangulate your True Sign designation from this dizzying barrage of iconography. What do you do with this information? I don't know. Make some cool new OCs? Discuss your new sign with friends? Cause great agitation and bewilderment among astrological purists? The sky's the limit. Also, those invested in what qualifies as "canon" when it comes to Homestuck lore may take interest in this test, which formally evaluates whether you are a Prospit or Derse Dreamer (involving a new term of art for the sake of this system, called Lunar Sway), as well as your Aspect. I am sure some will wonder whether this means a God Tier Class test will be available as well. Some day, yes, probably. For now, only Aspect is applicable to this system. But the precedent now exists for the expectation to be CANONICALLY classified by literally any absurd profiling system I have ever concocted, and you have just obtained a full license to not let anyone forget this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

this is just a scheme to sell more shirts

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i got True Aquarius and motherfucker this was my last chance to not be associated directly with eridan via my zodiac sign. but there it is. same poo poo. same aspect. i cant get away from him. i hate him. the comic is dead and his ghost still haunts me.

just send the meteors and kill the earth already

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

the lights are dimmed. the sacrifice has been prepared. i draw the pentagram and light the candles.

i speak the forbidden phrase: 288-player session

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Prospit Taursci Life person here

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

i got True Aquarius and motherfucker this was my last chance to not be associated directly with eridan via my zodiac sign. but there it is. same poo poo. same aspect. i cant get away from him. i hate him. the comic is dead and his ghost still haunts me.

just send the meteors and kill the earth already

owwned

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
You can dick around with the url to find out all ... 288 ... combinations. Upon typing this, that seems like a bad idea.

Also I got Prospit Pittanius Void.
truesign.php?SC=12&SR=1&AR=8

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zeruel posted:

You can dick around with the url to find out all ... 288 ... combinations. Upon typing this, that seems like a bad idea.

you can also just click each individual sign on the main page. the sign also determines your kingdom and aspect, its not a mix-and-match thing

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Capries. It literally gave me Derse & Time as I had given to myself back in like, 2010. I hate this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

so each blood type has 24 signs for 12 class times 2 moons for 288 signs total, there are 14? classes which means...
looking forward to the class-quiz DLC for the expanded 4,032 sign database

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
This was fun and I'm glad it exists. Homestuck was fun and I'm all for an EU, however silly it is.

I'm a Virnius, Jade+Prospit+Hope

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I got Aro (Aries/Leo) Derse Heart, which I'm sort of okay with, but reading the descriptions I still think Doom is a better fit for my aspect.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im glad hussie is making content again. i guess dealing with the game was really eating up most of his time, and i hope the second installment goes smoother :)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

True Scorpio. Makes sense, as I am extremely overweight.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Well, if anyone was still skeptical that future installments of Hiveswap would be fully funded...

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I like that Sagittanius kinda looks like a drum set.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Well, if anyone was still skeptical that future installments of Hiveswap would be fully funded...

Explain?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Magres posted:

Explain?

At the end of the test there's an ad to buy a shirt with your test-proven Expanded Zodiac sign - of which there are 288 possible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Sign of the Unsatisfied

:sigh:

Yeah

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

thanks alot assbag posted:

This was fun and I'm glad it exists. Homestuck was fun and I'm all for an EU, however silly it is.

I'm a Virnius, Jade+Prospit+Hope

Same, not what I expected but I'll take it. Not buy merch though, that's cray.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, interesting. Did you notice Karkat's sign is in with the Lime Signs? A lot of people speculated as much. http://hs.hiveswap.com/ezodiac/aboutsignclasses.php

e: Gempio, Gold/Prospit/Light. Gemini is not my birth sign, but it describes me better than my birth sign does. Also blah blah Barnum statements blah blah, but fun is fun, dammit.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 28, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
not really that surprising. People were always going about it since his spot, if you divided the hex color codes by 12, would be lime.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Through this we can also determine the canon aspects of Xefros (Rage) and Dammek (Blood)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

No wonder poor Dammek is a doormat.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ArfJason posted:

not really that surprising. People were always going about it since his spot, if you divided the hex color codes by 12, would be lime.

also wasnt Calliope's trollsona a limeblood? i think it was mentioned that they were wiped out for being a threat to the Condesce or something.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yeah, i was going to mention the whole calliope/caliborn thing but i dont think it went further than being red herrings relating to karkat, and im not even sure if being a red herring was an intention, rather than just finding nice thematic links.
calliope being a limeblood, and caliborn having red blood, would mirror what karkats place would have been and what he actually turned out to be. karkats hexadecimal grey color of choice for his font was something like #666666 and calliope/caliborn had #333333 and #999999, which is another link between them.
i *guess* the cancer symbol could be linked to the two snakes eating/mating with each other? idk, but there was always something about karkats duality where he is outwardly an rear end in a top hat (caliborn) but inside hes the most caring character in the comic (calliope)

for not reading anything about this comic in 4+ years i sure rememeber a lot about it, huh

e: all this reminds me how bummed out i was that none of this meant anything at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

I got Derse Pittanius Void~

Which, like Malpais Legate, I had already assigned to myself several years ago.