Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

All that really did was set us up for crushing defeat.

Also you can tell this thread is full of lateX/Early Millennials because we're talking about Radio.

Use a streaming service you trogs

Look, I've only just come to terms that I'm not ever going to touch my cd collection again. Leave me, and my hdd full of mp3s alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JBP posted:

Carly Rae's new album is sick though.
True story she's from my hometown and my best friend's older brother knows her (she's a few years older than me).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I recently got Sirius XM (sattelite radio here) as a free trial for the new car and 99% of the time I listen to Hits 1, 90s on 9, Pop2k or PopRocks so I don't think I'm officially super old yet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqq3BtGrpU8

So you will be badgered and taunted and told that
You're missing a party that you'll never get over
You hate the idea that you're wasting your youth
That you stood in the background oh until you got older
But that's all lies
That's all lies

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzR8Y3N5ha4

Get a dog up ya.

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 28, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Jazz is timeless fight me :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Zenithe posted:

Jazz is timeless fight me :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCd_ERZvZM

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tokamak posted:

Look, I've only just come to terms that I'm not ever going to touch my cd collection again. Leave me, and my hdd full of mp3s alone.

I was running a program last year where we had a bunch of 12-15 year old kids and were helping them create a videogame prototype over a week. (Using Unity, basically GTA style open world without guns)

I thought it would be a fun idea to have them stick the games onto dvds and create labels + box art but we ended up not doing that because they all generally didn't see the point when they could just stick it online then download it at home.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Given that you buy a game today and it comes with a dvd with the Steam/Origin/uPlay app installed and a redeem code, there's no loving point bothering with optical media anymore.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My computers haven't even had DVD drives for at least 5 years now.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What if you have boomer parents but were born in the 90s?

Generations are a really bad heuristic and I hope it dies eventually.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-28/q&a-what-is-the-axisofleftists/9198918

request auspol name change to Armageddon of Leftists

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

quote:

Various amendments to the legislation are being moved.

One is about civil celebrants, another seeks to create two separate definitions of marriage - one for heterosexual couples, and one for LGBTIQ couples.

They are being voted down via a combination of Labor and Greens senators and government senators including Dean Smith, Linda Reynolds, Simon Birmingham, Jane Hume, Marise Payne and Nigel Scullion.

Good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Honestly I'm amazed that there are people under 30 listening to radio stations, in the age of Spotify and Apple Music where you can just listen to whatever you want whenever you want.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What if you have boomer parents but were born in the 90s?

Generations are a really bad heuristic and I hope it dies eventually.

You are going to have to read my ABS themed CYOA novel to determine which generation you are.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Honestly I'm amazed that there are people under 30 listening to radio stations, in the age of Spotify and Apple Music where you can just listen to whatever you want whenever you want.

Podcasts are where it's at.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Lord Bude posted:

In a world with unlimited cheap data without download blackspots this would be true. The only time I listen to the radio is in my car.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Why hasn't the Maiwar count been updated since yesterday afternoon?

:argh:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Podcasts are god king tier.

Also (shameful confession time) I am employed effectively full time trading and selling video games over the internet. Don't ask me how I got into it. Recently, ebgames had a run out of their boxed pc games. Dirt cheap a lot of them, so it was worth my while to either drive around and collect or order a few thousand dollars worth from their website. I get all this plastic poo poo with it, but I only need the code.

My house is currently filled with thousands of useless DVDS/Blurays and I can't find a good way to recycle them. I am trying to find a buyer for all these empty dvd cases that I stripped down but I fear they are for the landfill as well.

What do I do with all this plastic waste?

EDIT: We live in a world where the NBN is a thing and you guys are wondering why young people still listen to radio? It's robust, ubiquitous and cheap as hell that's why. I assume it will eventually go away because yes the internet is generally better but I can't remember the last time I missed the end of the footy because the loving wifi dropped out.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

starkebn posted:

In a world with unlimited cheap data without download blackspots this would be true. The only time I listen to the radio is in my car.

But both spotify and apple music let you download stuff at will onto your phone. I download any music I like at home, then I never have to worry about mobile data.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Aesculus posted:

Evegoons literally have a division that openly recruits pubbies and you still try to j4g :negative:

just join karmafleet

I was kidding you fool I don't need to join anything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

But both spotify and apple music let you download stuff at will onto your phone. I download any music I like at home, then I never have to worry about mobile data.

but I like listening to random stuff, not just the same thing all the time

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Every car I've been in in Finland has had the radio playing. It's awful.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

The Lord Bude posted:

Spotify family is fantastic. I haven't listened to the radio even in my car in ages (at least on purpose).

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senor Tron posted:

Podcasts are where it's at.

The Narrator posted:

Guys, I wanna talk about Cat Doter. Today's episode is brought to you by Cat Doter, the premiere choice in podcasting consulting. Cat Doter has a range of tips and techniques to get your podcast sounding better. In five minutes or less, Cat Doter can help you eliminate feedback, reverb and tinniness, and remotely walk you through the setup of your podcasting equipment. Our podcast wouldn't be as crisp and listenable as it is today without the expertise and guidance of Cat Doter. Enter promo code "RGD" at checkout for a fifty percent discount of your first session. Cat Doter: Dote Yourself

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Krabboss posted:

Every car I've been in in Finland has had the radio playing. It's awful.

Just ask for some pocket warm koskenkova

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Don Dongington posted:

Given that you buy a game today and it comes with a dvd with the Steam/Origin/uPlay app installed and a redeem code, there's no loving point bothering with optical media anymore.
Also even if you use the DVD install they still require a 2+Gig download because day one patches.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lmao you think Tilley is poo poo now, wait until he's turfed for being too old for the demographic, that's when the fun really starts. I discover more new music from internet forums and streams than radio now, so it's a shame but radio is losing it's grip on culture like the music industry. Podcasts are killing it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just like yelling at the people on the radio for their horrible hot takes. This isn't a thing?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just like yelling at the people on the radio for their horrible hot takes. This isn't a thing?

When I finish work at midnight or later and drive home, there is some gently caress on triple M who is basically Paul Murray but even worse, if you can even imagine that.

I occasionally do this, but the combo of sleep deprivation, having a really boring job and that gently caress is too much.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

ewe2 posted:

Lmao you think Tilley is poo poo now, wait until he's turfed for being too old for the demographic, that's when the fun really starts.

We already know what happens, Chris Uhlmann

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
turn off your radios, your podcasts and wind down your car window. enjoy the sounds of our wonderful country and feel blessed

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Yeah but it usually sounds like noisy trucks and smells just as bad. I'd rather listen to the electronic device.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Visidan posted:

turn off your radios, your podcasts and wind down your car window. enjoy the sounds of our wonderful country and feel blessed

https://youtu.be/hlspL_2Lm64

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Whenever a 9/11 Truther calls Biggsie's show on RRR it turns into some great radio fun.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
No joke though, if you can live somewhere quiet with no light or noise pollution, then the sounds of Australia are truly blessed. It's what I miss most.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maiwar count has been updated finally. The greens are pulling ahead even further. 41 votes ahead now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

Whenever a 9/11 Truther calls Biggsie's show on RRR it turns into some great radio fun.

Awesome, he's still there? Ring up and request Here Fluffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
A truck has hit the racecourse road bridge again so the sounds of Australia aren't so pretty outside my car window atm

• Locked thread