Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

UPDATE: National MP Brett Hudson comments: posted:

The volume of questions is purely being driven by Ministers and their offices refusing to answer more generalised questions, such as something along the lines of ‘Who has the Minister met with with since being sworn in?’

A very reasonable question. It not only helps to identify who might be influencing government, it also helps to target further information requests.

Ministers’ offices have been responding along the lines of ‘The minister meets with many people on many topics. We can respond to more specific questions.’

No wonder they then face the same question repeated in separate questions for each individual day.

Makes sense to me, answer the questions and this wouldn't have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cptn_dr posted:

Mine vibrated a whole bunch, but I feel that given I sleep through earthquakes on the reg, it should probably go a bit further and make some loud noises.
Mine made such an awful din that I legitimately thought it was warning me my battery was about to explode or something.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Mine made such an awful din that I legitimately thought it was warning me my battery was about to explode or something.

Mine started beeping like crazy while I was in a call on Discord, scared the crap out of everyone present.

Probably smart to make sure that it works. :stonklol:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Also, if anyone's curious about those 7,000 questions from Trevor Mallard, they're all of a very similar format but instead of "who did such and such meet with on this day" gossip poo poo they're slightly more substantive like "how many X bedroom properties does Housing New Zealand have tenanted in Suburb" and "How many properties does Housing New Zealand lease in Suburb", almost as if there was a housing crisis being covered up.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I wonder if you could create a botnet that drowned the other guy in constant minor requests.

Also I never received a disaster thing guess I'm dead in an earthquake lol.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I wonder if you could create a botnet that drowned the other guy in constant minor requests.

Also I never received a disaster thing guess I'm dead in an earthquake lol.

Evidently only about a third of the phones in NZ can actually recieve those so whoops.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
They can't guarantee it works with parallel imported phones, which I feel would be a pretty significant percentage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's like making a traffic light they can't guarantee works with imported cars. FWIW I'm rolling a nexus 5 and didn't receive jack poo poo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Evidently only about a third of the phones in NZ can actually recieve those so whoops.

There's not much they can do if only newer phones are capable of receiving the alert system. Also FYI the nexus 5 stopped receiving new android update support about 2 years ago so that's probably why you didn't get it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The last time I got a system update was like three months ago but I don't know poo poo about gadgets so you're probably right. Suffice it to say if a smartphone from a couple of years ago can't get them then they're poo poo out of luck and need to come up with something else.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I have an S7 and got an update on Saturday morning, and got no alerts. I think I have alerts turned on, but because it's Samsung that option is tied into the stock messaging app which I don't use and don't know if it is set up and just failed, or if it's being restricted somehow, or if I just shouldnt expect it because the phone is only the last flagship model but one, not the current flagship.

e: a+ system well done all

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 27, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can warn some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't warn all the people all of the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't they just make the skytower start flashing or something? People who aren't in LOS of that thing don't really matter anyway.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

I have an S7 and got an update on Saturday morning, and got no alerts. I think I have alerts turned on, but because it's Samsung that option is tied into the stock messaging app which I don't use and don't know if it is set up and just failed, or if it's being restricted somehow, or if I just shouldnt expect it because the phone is only the last flagship model but one, not the current flagship.

e: a+ system well done all

Missus has an s7 and got the alert.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Just think of buying a new phone as an investment in not dying. :capitalism:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

The last time I got a system update was like three months ago but I don't know poo poo about gadgets so you're probably right. Suffice it to say if a smartphone from a couple of years ago can't get them then they're poo poo out of luck and need to come up with something else.

Yeah but the major android versions are no longer going out, it's from 2013 so ancient in terms of phones these days. Have to say the google updates don't last all that long for their phones though, kind of silly. Here's the support lifespan for nexus devices: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705#nexus_devices

I think if you have the latest android version you received the alert. That seems to be just how this system works and i'm assuming there is nothing lil ol NZ civil defence can do to change it

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The plan is for all the poors who don’t own the latest phone to die.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

I think if you have the latest android version you received the alert. That seems to be just how this system works and i'm assuming there is nothing lil ol NZ civil defence can do to change it

Sure there is, it's called coming up with a different system.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Is there an app that older phones and devices can download? If not then that is a pretty major failing given a huge number of Kiwis have budget Vodafone branded Android phones like me.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

They expect about 30% of people will get the warnings. So unless you live alone, chances are someone in your house will get it.

That % will increase in time of course.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah but the major android versions are no longer going out, it's from 2013 so ancient in terms of phones these days. Have to say the google updates don't last all that long for their phones though, kind of silly. Here's the support lifespan for nexus devices: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705#nexus_devices

gently caress all phones have the latest android version so it won't be that. Even some flagship phones from this year haven't been updated to that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Taitale posted:

gently caress all phones have the latest android version so it won't be that. Even some flagship phones from this year haven't been updated to that.

Good point yeah, probably not the very latest then

Slavvy posted:

Sure there is, it's called coming up with a different system.

I guess they could just give everyone a phone call or email or SMS text? or maybe send out pigeons or something?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Taitale posted:

I'm guessing it is actually relying on your telco rolling it out in their bundle.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I was in a group of like 50 people when the Civil Defence message happened and almost everyone got about 5 messages. I still have android 5.1.1 I think, and I got it.

Mostly it seemed to vary based on which telco people were with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

Good point yeah, probably not the very latest then

I guess they could just give everyone a phone call or email or SMS text? or maybe send out pigeons or something?

A text would be a good idea because literally everyone communicates using those yeah.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Slavvy posted:

A text would be a good idea because literally everyone communicates using those yeah.

I'm assuming they wanted this system to be a bit more than a text, i.e. come through on a special reserved channel, since in an emergency normal channels are congested, and it will take priority over everything else and display on the screen immediately, make noise even when the phone's on silent, etc, which is why I imagine they are using this system for their disaster alerts

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Couldn't they just use regular text messages in the meantime?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having 30% of phones go off like that with an easy to read yet detailed message is still pretty good in such a shattered OS environment.

I don't doubt they will send mass text if need be, but having your phone do that is an unmistakable message of something is happening and you need to pay attention as well as a way to authenticate.

How many people here would ignore normal text messages until later?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nobody would get a text message if it were in the middle of the night. Better than nothing, maybe, but still basically ineffective

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bike tory posted:

Nobody would get a text message if it were in the middle of the night. Better than nothing, maybe, but still basically ineffective

Also many people wouldn't receive a text at all or in a timely manner in an emergency either as the network would get overloaded very quickly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Varkk posted:

The plan is for all the poors who don’t own the latest phone to die.

:rolleyes: I have an iphone 5s, a phone released September 2013, over 4 years ago.. I received the warning on my phone

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Don Brash 'utterly sick' of use of Te Reo Maori by reporters, is still a huge piece of poo poo.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lmao that guy ran for Prime Minister and was supported by a large number of people.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Even worse he pulled National from their lowest ever support to almost winning by whining about the Maoris.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

redleader posted:

Don Brash 'utterly sick' of use of Te Reo Maori by reporters, is still a huge piece of poo poo.

Well then don brash should stop listening to Radio New Zealand then.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Someone slapping DTB in the face would signal virtue very well, imo. He writes articles for this e-local magazine that gets delivered in south auckland and his article always have this undercurrent of pettiness over completely innocuous things.

Amazingly he managed to write one where he acknowledged that the labour party had won the election fairly, so I guess his hate for the people who dumped him from the national party overrode his usual hate.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
The OWM who publishes the e-local wrote several editorials for it a while back alleging a pre-Maori Celtic civilisation in New Zealand which is being covered up by a Government/UN conspiracy, which means that because he knows the REAL STORY that The Treaty of Waitangi is invalid and therefore

The usual white supremacist :tinfoil: nonsense basically.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bunch of journalists think they have a "gotcha" moment with Golriz Ghahraman's past in human rights law because she had worked as defense for people accused of genocide. She had been open about this before but hadn't included it in any of her bios, so a bunch of people are calling for her to resign as claiming that she is a genocide denier. It's ugly
https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/344871/green-mp-under-scrutiny-for-role-in-rwandan-genocide-trials

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Edit: ^^ Yeah, it seems to publish a lot of borderline conspiracy theories.

On a completely different note, what is NZ's status regarding net neutrality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm just glad we could move on from people fundamentally misunderstanding politics to people fundamentally misunderstanding the justice system.

• Locked thread