Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

fridge corn posted:

Knowing what we do of Leia, a woman who is completely fearless in front of darth vader, do you not think she would be able to handle someone like Han? You don't think she wouldn't crack him one round the jaw if she really didn't want him going there? You give her too little credit. I know you mean well but your reading of the scene is unfortunate. I suggest maybe educating yourself a bit on the matter and having another look at it.

It absolutely is a product of its time, and a product of being a scene in a film (as opposed to being an observed occurrence in real life). You'll note that pretty my my first comment on the matter was something to the effect of "This plays a bit differently in 2017 than it did in 1980"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Leia negs Han Solo throughout A New Hope once they meet.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

jivjov posted:

1) ableist slurs aren't necessary; we're talking about some films here.

Like... I am not sure I want to continue your awful derail and soapboxing, but I've read the post you quoted with this, and uhhh... I can't find any "ableist slurs" in it? You have my affirmative consent to explain it to me though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

AlternateAccount posted:

Like... I am not sure I want to continue your awful derail and soapboxing, but I've read the post you quoted with this, and uhhh... I can't find any "ableist slurs" in it? You have my affirmative consent to explain it to me though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Aha, thanks. For some reason I was hung up on the physical. Like someone making a joke about Luke giving a high five after being rescued in ESB.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The film portrays a relationship in which the woman is in denial about being attracted to the man in spite of his annoying qualities, and the man correctly intuits that this is the case and pressures her uncomfortably into acknowledging that their attraction is mutual.

Since the movie was made, there is an increased awareness of the fact that a leading cause of rape is garbage dudes wrongly thinking they're in the same kind of situation as Han, when in reality they're delusional creeplords who are getting away with a crime through coercion. The film, interpreted in the current social context, takes on a different meaning than it did at the time of its release. We know this because a more sincerely romantic interpretation was commonplace within living memory.

Contemporary films increasingly include depictions of unambiguous consent in order to preempt the increasingly easy "delusional creeplord" interpretation of their male leads. And I say: good.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 27, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/935242528449638401

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Mark Hamill is the world's dad.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

And with that, I am no longer tired of these Star Wars.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Star Wars...heh...what a great franchise.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
[quote="Lincoln" post=""47877846"]
[/quote]

Jabba is a hermaphroditic slug creature with a sexual attraction to humanoid females, not a hermaphroditic slug creature with a sexual attraction to humanoid males.

This attempt to redefine Jabba as a homosexual character is just the latest example of SJW's ruining Star Wars. Non-traditional sexualities have no place in this franchise. Jabba is a straight sexless masculine-identifying Hutt with a vore fetish, and he should stay that way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cnut the Great posted:

Dude I want to defend the Han/Leia romance on the grounds of it being inherently a fantasy and not necessarily something intended to be emulated in real life

The scene is neither fantasy nor something to be emulated in real life.

The point of the scene is simple characterization: Han is a misogynist, in the same way Quigon Jinn is a racist. Before you leap into moralistic value judgment here, you must first accept that this is simply true.

From there, you can point out how C3PO plays a structural role in the relationship narrative:

“When the lovers meet for the last time at the desolate train station in David Lean’s Brief Encounter, their solitude is immediately disturbed by Celia Johnson’s noisy and inquisitive friend who, unaware of the underlying tension between the couple, goes on prattling about ridiculously insignificant everyday accidents. Unable to directly communicate, the couple can just desperately stare in front of themselves. This common prattler is the big Other at its purest: while it appears as an accidental unfortunate intruder, its role is structurally necessary. When, towards the film’s end, we see this scene for the second time, accompanied by Celia Johnson’s voice-over, she tells us that she did not listen to what her friend was saying, not understanding even a word of it – however, precisely as such, this prattling provided the necessary background, a kind of safety-cushion, to the lovers’ last meeting, preventing its self-destructive explosion or, even worse, its turn into banality: the insignificant prattling has to go on in order to prevent the catastrophe, so the intruding friend arrives exactly the right moment. That is to say, on the one hand, it is this very presence of the naïve prattler which ‘understands nothing’ of the true tension of the situation that enables the lovers to maintain a minimum of control over their predicament, since they feel compelled to ‘maintain the proper appearances’ in front of this gaze. On the other hand, one should recall that, in a couple of words the lovers succeed exchanging in privacy prior to being interrupted, they come to the edge of confronting the unpleasant question: if they really love each other so passionately that they cannot live without each other, why don’t they simply divorce their spouses and part together? The prattler arrives just at the right moment, enabling the lovers to maintain the tragic grandeur of their predicament – without this third intruder, they would have to confront the banality and the vulgar compromise nature of their predicament. The shift to be made in a proper dialectical analysis is thus the one from the condition of impossibility to the condition of possibility: what appears as the ‘condition of impossibility,’ as the obstacle, is a position, enabling, condition to what it appears to threaten.”
-Zizek

It’s no coincidence that Leia only reciprocates at the point where Han is about to be permanently removed from the picture.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can we change the thread title to If this Corellian YT-1300 light freighter's a-rockin', don't come a-knockin' plz and thx

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Thursday night on ABC is something called The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration is airing, and on that show is brand new TLJ footage.

I’m hoping One Bean Cannoli, Karate Farmer, Door Ladder and Paul Saltines make an appearance.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

UmOk posted:

Goons don't require that. They just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. They don’t even wait. And when you’re a scoundrel, they let you do it. You can do anything.

i like this post

also im putting a stop to this discussion by saying that han solo and leia scene is at the edge of being "not ok" but its ok and totally legal
Blade runner sex stuff is not ok, deckard should've not done that

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 28, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Rian Johnson will be answering questions through the Star Wars Twitter account in a few minutes. Not sure if anything good will come out of it, but maybe he'll at least drop a nugget about his new trilogy?

https://twitter.com/starwars

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Porgs?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Teek posted:

Rian Johnson will be answering questions through the Star Wars Twitter account in a few minutes. Not sure if anything good will come out of it, but maybe he'll at least drop a nugget about his new trilogy?

https://twitter.com/starwars

So what did he say?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

So what did he say?

He said, "PIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSS".

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

It really disturbs me how similar Adam Driver's emo Kylo Ren is to Hayden Christensen's emo Anakin Skywalker.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

There’s a really cool 3D printer store at the mall that makes neat stuff to put in the storefront window:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is it bad that I can immediately tell that those are Action Fleet toys in the trench scene?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

viral spiral posted:

It really disturbs me how similar Adam Driver's emo Kylo Ren is to Hayden Christensen's emo Anakin Skywalker.

Pretty sure that's the purpose

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

banned from Starbucks posted:

So what did he say?

Not a whole lot. https://twitter.com/i/moments/935668632746463232

In other news, Daisy Ridley gave an interview and said she was done with Star Wars after Episode 9. Who knows what that means for Rey in another sequel trilogy, but could just be smart $$$ talk so Disney backs up the dump truck in the future.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 29, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Teek posted:

Not a whole lot. https://twitter.com/i/moments/935668632746463232

In other news, Daisy Ridley gave an interview and said she was done with Star Wars after Episode 9. Who knows what that means for Rey in another sequel trilogy, but could just be smart $$$ talk so Disney backs up the dump truck in the future.

I mean, the trilogies are kind of supposed to be a generational thing. If Disney wants to keep with the spirit of the series it wouldn't make much sense to immediately launch into another sequel trilogy with all the same characters, unless they wanted to put Daisy in old age makeup. And it would still feel kind of artificial. The past two trilogies really have felt like they were separated by a generation from the original movies because they were made so long after, but an immediate sequel sequel trilogy wouldn't. Maybe that's why Disney is dipping its toes into doing trilogies unconnected with the main saga.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 30, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

UmOk posted:

Pretty sure that's the purpose

I know. Disney isn't known for originality. I'll still see it, regardless.

However, here's hoping they go balls to the wall and have Rey become Kylo's apprentice as portrayed in the trailer. It's not going to happen, though. :smith:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I'm not sure how intentional the similarities between Kylo and Christensen's Anakin are. As we talked about earlier, take away the cool mask and JEJ's voice, and what you unavoidably get is a guy who comes across like a moody adolescent. For all I know, that's something Abrams discovered by accident.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
U2 on the cover of Rolling Stone? Has that ever happened before?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

U2 on the cover of Rolling Stone? Has that ever happened before?

Not sure if this is a joke post. U2 were huge in the 80s and early 90s.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Huge dorks

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm not sure how intentional the similarities between Kylo and Christensen's Anakin are. As we talked about earlier, take away the cool mask and JEJ's voice, and what you unavoidably get is a guy who comes across like a moody adolescent. For all I know, that's something Abrams discovered by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoAtnU2a1u0&t=390s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cnut the Great posted:

He cast Adam Driver, who's pretty much the canonical moody perma-child for the 2010s. Abrams was definitely leaning into it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cnut the Great posted:

Or he could've just watched the prequels

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I need to know JJs intentions before I can decide if this is Canon or not

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Cnut the Great posted:

I think having the villain as some dumb adolescent with daddy issues (with the intentional look of a hipster) was probably pushed by Disney, too. They mostly do bland villains in favor of the protagonists. Just look at the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the thing about Kylo seeking to emulate the cultural idea of "Vader the badass" while actually resembling the truth behind Vader/Anakin just seems like such a perfect fit that I think its extremely unlikely that it isn't intentional.

I didn't like TFA a whole lot but that was by the far the most interesting part about it to me.