Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

in NSW P-platers and L-platers are actually prohibited from using a mobile device even for music control.

I usually listen to my own music in my car but Ive swapped cars with my girlfriend for a week and its either radio or CD-Rs from owners past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Laserface posted:

in NSW P-platers and L-platers are actually prohibited from using a mobile device even for music control.

I usually listen to my own music in my car but Ive swapped cars with my girlfriend for a week and its either radio or CD-Rs from owners past.

Heh, joke would be on them, I have an open laptop sitting on my passenger seat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/mirandadevine/status/935306468655382528

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
:stonk: ^^ Devine with a not poo poo take? :wtf:

Laserface posted:

In WA you can get a ticket for having your phone locked on your lap. Doesn't matter what kind of license you have.

I'm pretty sure if it's on the passenger seat and the screen's on that's probably fair game too.

Smart watches are also out. Basically if it's not a part of your car it's illegal to touch while you're driving (which probably translates to "the engine is on"), and if WAPOL continue the way they're going, it'll be illegal to touch your car stereo too.

gently caress, touch screens may already be covered under their incredibly broad remit.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 28, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
*receives robocall from the prime minister*

Look Mr Prime Minister I don't want any special treatment or phone calls just because I'm the coach of the Ivanhoe seconds ok

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"I really need to see what Free Republic are saying before I write my next column!"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"journalist"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

labor making pro-federal icac noises. tentatively optimistic. terrifying

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BBJoey posted:

labor making pro-federal icac noises. tentatively optimistic. terrifying

This, right now is the best outcome. Make the Liberals think they're just drumming up the numbers for an RC into the banks, then drop a Federal ICAC instead.

Cut to 18 months later and the Liberal Party is a prison clique.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/RealMarkLatham/status/935388693736579072

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That's both so wrong and spicy it's actually quite incredible.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

QUACKTASTIC posted:

"journalist"

I giggled at that one too. I'm trying to think when she's ever done journalism.

Did we ever find out if Latham was IWC?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

No IWC was doing media before Latham and is a far better presenter.

Van Badham is EvilElmo though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ewe2 posted:

Awesome, he's still there? Ring up and request Here Fluffy.

Yeah, he's still doing "On the Blower" from 9am to 12pm on Fridays

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/28/george-brandis-gives-emotional-same-sex-marriage-speech-there-is-nothing-to-hide

quote:

Marriage equality will be the “imperishable legacy” of the Turnbull government, George Brandis has said in an emotional speech trumpeting the historic social reform as the “final act of acceptance and embrace” for LGBTI Australians.

Oh, gently caress OFF. I'm not letting history remember this poo poo positively.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I doubt people will remember much about this govt, but if they do it certainly won't be their "achievements".

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I only started listening to Triple J this year since and I can't think of a better alternative (once I've emptied my podcast lineup). No ads, news on the hour and a good mix of imports and local up-and-comers. If it wasn't for them I would have never gotten into grime music. Changing the date took some balls even though the precedent for it being on that day has become mythologised anyway, sort of like Howard's marriage act shenanigans.

For the record I'm skirting dangerously close to 30.

George "people have a right to be bigots" Brandis.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/deprived-of-a-say-says-federal-senator

quote:

One Nation senator Brian Burston says he was "deprived" of a say on same-sex marriage because his survey form didn't arrive in the mail.
In his speech to the Senate as part of the same-sex marriage debate on Tuesday morning, Burston revealed that he hadn't voted in the survey — but he would have registered a "no".
"Despite millions of Australian receiving their postal votes in the mail, there were many who did not receive their forms and so were deprived of their right of participating in this survey," Burston said.
"I was one of those deprived Australians, robbed of my opportunity of expressing my democratic right to participate in this survey. I’ll further add that my vote would have been no."
Asked why he didn’t request a survey form from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Burston said “I did”.
I think you'll find it's less of a "democratic right" and more of a "non-binding non-legislative voluntary postal survey" kind of thing buddy

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also I think you'll find "He didn't".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty lucky that I have the option of a community radio station called Riot FM that plays mostly punk and similar

funny thing is this community is largely made up of pensioners

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
re: podcastchat

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/935183900367884288

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

QUACKTASTIC posted:

"journalist"

Sometimes I poo poo talk politics in MMOs specifically to get people arguing in /zone or /general. So I guess I'm a journalist too!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
podcasts are where it's at nowadays for real tho

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

I doubt people will remember much about this govt, but if they do it certainly won't be their "achievements".

It's going to be one of those quiz night questions everybody gets wrong in 10-20 years time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Listening to people obviously way out of their comfort zone pretend to care about products they don't know anything about is half the charm of podcasts though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I skip the ads, I'm a terrible consumer :(

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

This is actually pretty unfair on IWC. IWC may be a troll, but they're also someone who for 99% of things is pretty left wing and agrees with good policy. Mark Latham is a broke brained idiot who unironically believes the insane damaging poo poo he spouts.

IWC may be a shitposter, but Mark Latham is a poo poo human.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Even the Dollop are dead bored of doing their ads.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

IWC didn't break a taxi driver's arm and then brag about it either.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zenithe posted:

Listening to people obviously way out of their comfort zone pretend to care about products they don't know anything about is half the charm of podcasts though.

The McElroys are generally pretty okay at ads, but they ruined it for themselves early on with their Extreme Restraints ads showing what it's like when they actually enjoy the sponsorship.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

of course they didnt, iwc is a 4 foot tall woc

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Knobb Manwich posted:

Clearly you didn't listen to his podcast

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Roman Mars on 99% Invisible is waaaay too earnest when talking about Article Furniture, Squarespace, Casper etc. Sponsors must love him.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 28, 2017

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ewe2 posted:

Say you're a guy...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol three labor senators have the sda's festering arm so far up their rear end that they're voting no on gay marriage, get dead you fucks

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Podcasts are where it's at. McElroys all day every day.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol three labor senators have the sda's festering arm so far up their rear end that they're voting no on gay marriage, get dead you fucks

It's important to know who not to preselect next year now that the SDA is a dying union I suppose.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

loving BURNNNN.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

This is actually pretty unfair on IWC. IWC may be a troll, but they're also someone who for 99% of things is pretty left wing and agrees with good policy. Mark Latham is a broke brained idiot who unironically believes the insane damaging poo poo he spouts.

IWC may be a shitposter, but Mark Latham is a poo poo human.

It was you all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/lanesainty/status/935433897357090816

• Locked thread