Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

khy posted:

I don't condone this but honestly I really am having a difficult time working up any sympathy for him either.
Yea gently caress that guy and his coffee cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Best case he will get rid of their common carrier status but with a year long "phase out" period so maybe everyone forgets. Alternately so the 2018 elections sort of seal the coffin on the topic if Ds lose / Give him a platform to be loudly idealistic with no consequences if Ds win.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Stop polluting space. we have a perfectly good ocean they can be thrown in, or perhaps a very deep mine, or a volcano. If you put them in space then someone will likely find them again one day.

And imagine what aliens would think of us if their first contact with humanity was that bag of turds...:stare:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

khy posted:

Ajit Pai is also apparently suffering from Harassment.

https://twitter.com/BrendanBordelon/status/934418166620524544

I don't condone this but honestly I really am having a difficult time working up any sympathy for him either.

I think I'm about 80% ok with it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Pai and everyone involved with him deserve whatever ill fortunes they receive.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oh no, they....put up publicly available information on a cardboard sign outside his publicly listed house.

It's not exactly doxxing. If it was like "here's the schedules of pai's children, hope nothing happens" I'd be all :stare:, but this is just wiki info.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Oh no, they....put up publicly available information on a cardboard sign outside his publicly listed house.

It's not exactly doxxing. If it was like "here's the schedules of pai's children, hope nothing happens" I'd be all :stare:, but this is just wiki info.

It's still creepy and intended to be creepy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I guess I just have a higher bar for creepy info when it comes to public figures. If anything the sign has a point: is a world where free speech democratic organization that much harder what he wants to hand off to his kids? To put the "my dad killed free & fair internet" albatross around their neck?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Not that it really matters, but putting Pai's kids' names on the sign just feeds his feigned concern/ignorance of why the internet needs to be controlled/pay-walled.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

I guess I just have a higher bar for creepy info when it comes to public figures. If anything the sign has a point: is a world where free speech democratic organization that much harder what he wants to hand off to his kids? To put the "my dad killed free & fair internet" albatross around their neck?

And you think Pai wants a world where Wikipedia can continue to exist on donations? Sinclairpedia, sponsored by Xfinity, will definitely be shutting that site down.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Chilichimp posted:

Well tbh the government should fear the people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
GOP is proposing a 20% tax on Puerto Rican imports to the US Mainland.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

This is maybe one of the worst ideas they've ever had, and that's really saying something.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

I do like the idea of continually sending him pizzas though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

They really want the Puerto Ricans to declare independence don't they?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

Are internal US tariffs even a thing? I thought there was a constitutional ban on that kind of thing.

edit, oh wait, that's between states

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

khy posted:

Ajit Pai is also apparently suffering from Harassment.

https://twitter.com/BrendanBordelon/status/934418166620524544

Oh no! They sent pizza to his house! The horror! The HORROR!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hangedman1984 posted:

he's lactose intolerant and it had extra cheese

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

he's lactose intolerant and it had extra cheese

so it's attempted murder then. :ninja:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

hangedman1984 posted:

You can read it as a "we know where you live" type threat.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can read it as a "we know where you live" type threat.

or maybe even this kind of threat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB871SVYMhI&t=42s

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

It is, and also the temperature is very clearly rising in the US and the traditional limits of politics are clearly being broken down.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

I saw briefly something about a write in candidate in Alabama, some former aide to John Kelly. Supposedly he’s running independently, but...when would we find out if he’s got RNC support, if any? I’m super curious if he’s an ‘official’ spoiler candidate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MoaM posted:

Not that it really matters, but putting Pai's kids' names on the sign just feeds his feigned concern/ignorance of why the internet needs to be controlled/pay-walled.

I think that involving the kids is unnecessary and ill-advised but the rest is fine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ok I was wrong: ending the internet would be good

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lightning Knight posted:

I think that involving the kids is unnecessary and ill-advised but the rest is fine.

If the people are trying to change his mind (and assuming that doing so could lead to reversal of the decision), then I'd agree. If they're just trying to punish him by ruining his family life, then I have no complaint.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MizPiz posted:

If the people are trying to change his mind (and assuming that doing so could lead to reversal of the decision), then I'd agree. If they're just trying to punish him by ruining his family life, then I have no complaint.

Bleh, I don’t think that targeting children for political activism like that is necessary or valuable and just ends up making the aggressive party look bad even if the defensive party is the bad one.

There’s also been a lot of racism tied up in the response to him, predictably, which is also not ok.

He’s just going to hide behind “the mean libs are triggered about my plan to make the internet more competitive and innovative :smug: “ and people who don’t understand net neutrality (I.e. most people) will just see people posting this poo poo aimed at his kids and side with him.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 28, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if you target kids you are loving scum

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seems less like any sort of dangerous targeting and more "is this what you want your kids to know you for?"

I don't think any weird stalkers are going to be empowered by the fact that the cardboard sign maker googled his kids' first names.

If one wanted to go further in defending the sign, you could make the argument that his children are in the best position out of anybody to convince him, and should not complacently live in a bubble from their father's actions. It's not like they're 50 years old and the internet is some weird mystery entity to them.

(caveat: I have no idea how old they actually are, if they're like 5 then disregard this)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MoaM posted:

ending net neutrality won't make it magically impossible to figure out the names of public officials' kids

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Nah I don’t agree at all, it’s both scummy and bad from a strategy perspective.

They should’ve just plastered his picture everywhere with the subtitle “Trump appointed this man to make you pay more for the same internet” and let his neighbors be pissed at him. Involving the kids wasn’t necessary and is honestly just lovely on top of being ineffective.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
At the same time though, attempting to shame people who make a career out of being lovely and hated aren't going to suddenly stop when you go "this guy is lovely and hated!". He's well aware how it makes him look when he accused mass net neutrality support of being bots (while that happens for anti-NN)

If you want to shame someone for being a clown you wouldn't go "that guy's such a clown!", you'd hit him where it hurts. And if their kids aren't stopping him from squirting water from his flower on peoples' papers then they're fair game, being the closest and most influential to him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Neurolimal posted:

At the same time though, attempting to shame people who make a career out of being lovely and hated aren't going to suddenly stop when you go "this guy is lovely and hated!". He's well aware how it makes him look when he accused mass net neutrality support of being bots (while that happens for anti-NN)

If you want to shame someone for being a clown you wouldn't go "that guy's such a clown!", you'd hit him where it hurts. And if their kids aren't stopping him from squirting water from his flower on peoples' papers then they're fair game, being the closest and most influential to him.

Nah it’s not his kids’ responsibility to deal with his lovely politics, what is wrong with you? He’s 44, how old do you think his kids are? His kids aren’t going to end net neutrality, nor is he going to change his mind because people involved his kids.

You can advocate for harassment tactics all you like and I’m ok with that but defending the involvement of the kids is inexplicable to me, it is both lovely and isn’t going to accomplish anything.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Nah it’s not his kids’ responsibility to deal with his lovely politics, what is wrong with you? He’s 44, how old do you think his kids are? His kids aren’t going to end net neutrality, nor is he going to change his mind because people involved his kids.

You can advocate for harassment tactics all you like and I’m ok with that but defending the involvement of the kids is inexplicable to me, it is both lovely and isn’t going to accomplish anything.

Seriously, his kids probably don't even know what he does for a living and couldn't tell you if you held a gun to their heads other than 'daddy works for the government.' Maybe. Order all the pizzas you want, just leave his kids out of it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Why are y'all acting like you're talking to the people who did it?

No one here attacked this man's kids. So going "This is wrong and no one should ever do it" seems loving pointless, who do you think your audience is?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Alter Ego posted:

I do like the idea of continually sending him pizzas though.

It worked for Joe Biden.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mynnna posted:

I saw briefly something about a write in candidate in Alabama, some former aide to John Kelly. Supposedly he’s running independently, but...when would we find out if he’s got RNC support, if any? I’m super curious if he’s an ‘official’ spoiler candidate.

He's not going to get RNC support because an officially sanctioned write-in spoiler is practically guaranteed to hand the election to Jones.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

WampaLord posted:

Well this is the same forum that predicted Joe Biden as Obama's VP choice via unsolicited pizza delivery...

EDIT: Dammit Instant Sunrise, well played!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

No one here attacked this man's kids. So going "This is wrong and no one should ever do it" seems loving pointless, who do you think your audience is?

This is an argument against any political discussion on the forums, almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

This is an argument against any political discussion on the forums, almost.

Not really, I just don't see the point in you wagging your fingers and going "shame on these people" when they're not around for you to yell at.

• Locked thread