Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

big nipples big life posted:

wait, you bought back in AND have a subscription?

No, they sent it to "Concierge" level people in addition to subscribers. I guess they don't deduct refunds from your account so I'm still considered concierge in their system. Lucky me?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Codezombie posted:

Well it's true, you *do* learn something new everyday.
Thanks commando.

You're brain has a built in panic button in the lizard brain portion. Elevated levels of CO2 smash that button. It probably came from evolutionary survival against events like getting your head stuck in something without air circulation. When that button gets pushed, you'll tear your flesh and limbs apart to escape it.

I approached it once by breathing into a plastic bag for as long as I could. There was about 2 minutes where I felt compelled to pull it away, but I pushed through.

Then, lightening bolts of pure panic blasted through my body. I would've torn my head off to get a breath of fresh air.

Your body doesn't detect asphyxiation by lack of O2, it can only detect high levels of CO2. You'll just go to sleep without even knowing it if O2 drops.

Your body can't detect CO either. And CO glues onto your red blood cells, like cyanide, and will suffocate you even in an oxygen rich environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Isn't that jester86 tactic ?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
The Mancunion: “Is Star Citizen the biggest game ever?”

quote:

When I first heard the name Star Citizen, I quite foolishly assumed that this was yet another space-bound MMO, like EVE: Online or Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I have never been so astronomically wrong. This game isn’t just massive — it’s positively gargantuan, and it’s not even finished yet…

For those of you completely out in the vacuum of space, Star Citizen is an ongoing PC project headed up by Chris Roberts, the man behind Wing Commander series: a 90s space-flight simulator with dog-fighting gameplay. Nearly 20 years later, Roberts embarked on the pioneering mission that is Star Citizen, with a nigh-on impossible objective: “I don’t want to build a game. I want to build a universe.”

The premise of the game is two-fold: on the one hand there is the single-player campaign, entitled Squadron 42, which will consist of both flight-simulation mechanics as well as a boots on the ground, first/third-person shooter experience. On the other hand, the star of the show is what is being dubbed the “Persistent Universe”; this is comprised not only of the massive multiplayer format but upon completion is designed to be the biggest game map ever.

Not only do the current builds feature several planets for the player to visit, all of which are designed to match a true planetary scale—we’re talking vast expanses, towns and cities, all with fleshed out interiors — but the ultimate goal is to create a virtual solar system for players to disappear into for weeks on end.

The sheer gravity of this project is mind-blowing and the approach itself is worthy of note too. This game’s production is very much like the construction of a spacecraft itself, in that it is being described as “modular”, meaning that sections and versions of the game can be purchased as and when available.

Roberts Space Industries is the umbrella that envelopes both Cloud Imperium Games — situated in Manchester of all places — and Foundry 42 (Frankfurt). It is this team of developers that are making video game history and they’re taking you along for the ride.

I’m sure you’ve heard of Kickstarter and other crowd-funding sites. They are platforms for creative people to finance their projects through funds generated by the fans and for the fans. Star Citizen has taken this to the next level.

Whilst most top off their own money with that made through crowd-sourcing, Roberts’ vision for Star Citizen was to develop a game entirely from the donations made by fans and respected peers within the industry who understood what this game was all about. The fans.

As of 2011 (the official start date for production), the project has been 100 per cent crowd-funded. The team initially expected to raise around $4 million. This has become merely a drop in the pond, with the current estimation of total funds raised clocking in at a stellar $150 million – give a take a million or so…

So, what does $150 million in funds get you then? Well, nothing finished as of yet; in fact, as of right now there is no official release date. This has become a bit of a running joke amongst the gaming community but has also lead to a great deal of backlash amongst those who donated their hard-earned cash for a game that was supposed to be here three years ago.

In truth, it has come to the point that there is little use for a release date, as the original projection was 2014 and it is still no clearer when the game will be actually finished. Though there are rumours that the target is now late 2018, the issue is that so much money has now been pumped into the game that the community, as well as Roberts himself, feel that there is the capability to push this further: “If I can build a bigger and more robust experience, I will.” (NY Times).

It is not just that this game promises to be the biggest game ever, as we’ve been done dirty by that phrase before (No Man’s Sky), but more so that the level of time and effort being put into the project is backing that statement up. Furthermore, this game is huge in significance purely because of the showcase it has given for crowd-sourcing, with the scrutiny being part and parcel of it too – it almost has to the biggest game ever now.

:bang::sandance:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

So to a Citizen's mind, all criticism of Star Citizen... is actually a trick to take the accounts of Star Citizens. That is some diseased thinking.

(They've seen through us, time to pack it in. Roll up some more alt accounts as a smokescreen)

Edit: Also wasn't Fandred the one who was heavily criticizing CIG like a week ago?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm the guy spending three hours sitting in a gun turret on someone elses ship trying to look at anything through the horribly designed cockpit struts.

Because that's my job in this organization. To fluff someone elses captain fantasy. In another 1000 hours I'll get my own ship.

Way to see the glass half full commando.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

AbstractNapper posted:

Has there ever been an article about common red flags one should look for in crowdfunding to avoid scams?

Because there really should be one, there's years of crowdfunding project experience to draw from, and SC is such a rich source of material for it.

I'd like to see a cheat-sheet as well, mostly for the funny examples though.

Saw this video yesterday in which the author says 'Backer only updates are huge burning red flags' because why would any legitimate business hide progress on their product from potential new customers? Usually there isn't much in the way of kickstarter updates until after the drive has completed however.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

EightAce posted:

sorry for any confusion on this. Sq42 is not coming out any time soon. In fact it will probably never come out at all. There is currently a move to roll it into the glorious vision that is Star Citizen.

This has the potential to kill large amount of the British games industry by getting the tax credits deal revoked for everyone.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

I approached it once by breathing into a plastic bag for as long as I could. There was about 2 minutes where I felt compelled to pull it away, but I pushed through.

People do the weirdest things to jack off.

kilus aof posted:

This has the potential to kill large amount of the British games industry by getting the tax credits deal revoked for everyone.

That's going to happen anyway, what with the wider conversation about economies and forty year old trade agreements.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder how many golf swings per minute will be required to keep a large ship running if you work in engineering.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Star Citizen 3.0: I had dreams but they all argon

:golfclap:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Fandred1 quoting himself

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

Fandred1 quoting himself

I am #7.

Claim your numbers, guys.

Also, underestimating the depths of human stupidity was old in the 1200s. Dapper Don can totally be that angry and stupid, and it's offensive they should box him up like that. They've twigged to our pump'n'dump scheme to make CiG look bad by reselling, though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

This is :five: star material if anybody missed them the first time around.

quote:

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

the legend lives on from the forums on down
of the game dev who made wing commander
chris roberts they say always could find a way
to turn failure to more propaganda

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mirificus posted:

* legitimate insanity *

Wait a second, are you telling me someone bought an ad for the refunds subreddit?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Abuminable posted:

It was chilling to hear Sandi saying that during that recent CIG meeting that was secretly recorded.

"Do not imagine that you will save yourself, Lando, however completely you surrender to us. No one who has once gone astray is ever spared. And even if we chose to let you live out the natural term of your life, still you would never escape from us. What happens to you here is for ever. Understand that in advance. We shall crush you down to the point from which there is no coming back. Things will happen to you from which you could not recover, if you lived a thousand years. Never again will you be capable of ordinary human feeling. Everything will be dead inside you. Never again will you be capable of love, or friendship, or joy of living, or laughter, or curiosity, or courage, or integrity. You will be hollow. We shall squeeze you empty and then we shall fill you with ourselves."

Mild editing for comedy.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Man, I loving WISH I were this smart.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

With how CIG is apparently arbitrarily hitting trades, and Paypal is notoriously poo poo about digital items, and there's so much scamming, I can't even begin to understand why anyone would be engaging in these gray market trades anymore.

We only do low investment stuff. Goons don't throw money at trolling. Trolling and griefing is free.

quote:

Maybe a mod of r/ds, who was also a mod of the gray market marketplace, got caught accidentally posting on the wrong account, and was outed as a figure in a major trading/sales operation.

I'm sure it's only coincidence the sub suddenly closed a handful of days later.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
This seems like a good time to bring this one back.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Mirificus posted:

Fandred1 quoting himself

On one hand he is clearly going insane.

On the other hand I kind of hope that it's true on some level, because it would be consistent with the SC ecosystem being leeches and parasites all the way top to bottom, through and through and sideways.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

So to a Citizen's mind, all criticism of Star Citizen... is actually a trick to take the accounts of Star Citizens. That is some diseased thinking.

(They've seen through us, time to pack it in. Roll up some more alt accounts as a smokescreen)

Edit: Also wasn't Fandred the one who was heavily criticizing CIG like a week ago?

Yeah he was having a meltdown until he realized he could buy into the 3.0 PTU while subscribing. Now he's back to harassing me and deepthroating spaceships.

That whole thread is full of some incredible gems

surzel posted:

I don't know what's more annoying - this "ad" or the fact that he gives Neil deGrasse Tyson a bad name.
(Is this a race thing? It seems like a race thing...)

But tbh Fandred's X-Files theory here is my favorite thing. It's just so... perfectly Star Citizen.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

EightAce posted:

Chris has ... a new jumper

Still trying to copy David Braben I see. ;)

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Mirificus posted:

Fandred1 quoting himself

If this theory was true, wouldn't we just crash the gray market and be done with it. Like, if I don't give two shits about the game, and I'm doing this to profit, why would I coordinate with all you fuckers.

I'd just buy the ship, and undercut everyone else. I assume you'd all do the same, and we'd make our money while crashing the prices.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Enchanted Hat posted:

Man, I loving WISH I were this smart.

It's a perfect conspiracy because there's no evidence of it. We make millions, destroy Crobbers and get away entirely scott-free, having gamed the system successfully and legally.

It must really enrage people reading this stuff, and not raise the specter than someone really needs to get offline.

So, what are you going to do with your unearned millions?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hopefully the 5 CIG community managers can bring some solace to this.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Hav posted:

Buy into Line of Defense.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fandred1 posted:

Also thats why i made these crtical community threads every few months hoping for people to wake up. But i get insulted each time and downvoted into oblivion. I got followed onto other subreddits by our backers and trashed. Thats how all of this works people.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I think we need a t-pose version of this

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

With these millions I'll repeat the same tactics in the love pledge grey market, but at a higher scale.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK posted:

I'd be impressed if this were true, and was implemented more deeply than just vehicles and things falling at different rates. Realistically, it would involve different walk cycles.

FailureToReport posted:

Soon TM, you just have to be patient.

I predict more mo-cap, but this time with people suspended by springy cables to simulate reduced gravity

This will take many many hours in order to mo-cap the same animation states over and over at slightly different gravity settings. Animation states such as walking, running, jumping, climbing into and out of your space shep, flipping your helmet up in the air catching it and slamming in on your face like a fuckin' badass, kind of jump-skipping like ol' Neil Armstrong, golf swinging, disco dance moves, twirling in a circle like Belle from Beauty and the Beast until you are dizzy because life is so beautiful, falling down, regaining your composure, picking yourself up after falling down, brushing moon dust off your spacesuit, looking around to see if anyone saw you fall down, trying to play it cool while your co-spaceworkers are pointing and laughing, going about your space business with feigned confidence, tripping, bouncing up quickly and incredulously like what are the odds?, tripping a second time right after the first, hitting your balls on a space rock, writhing in agony, farting loudly due to the pain and abdominal pressure, pounding on the moon's surface then raising your fist cursing god, shuffling quickly away from your co-spacemen who are now rolling around on the lunar surface and/or bent over hands-on-knees screaming with laughter, wetting your spacesuit, facing those people later in the mess hall, etc.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

It's a good thing we've all pulled our money together so we can help citizens cash out on the gray market.

We really love handing out money, hundreds and thousands of dollars at a time.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I guess it's a net benefit for society that this guy is dangerously insane and paranoid about a space video game and not a waitress or his co-workers or something.

I just hope the space video game is always there for him.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I bet that fandred guy thinks mr robot is a documentary

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zzr posted:

With these millions I'll repeat the same tactics in the love pledge grey market, but at a higher scale.
love pledge loot crate: get 3 items, with one at least being a common or higher

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

loving preposterous. Absolutely loving preposterous. Gold plating the internal atmospheric simulation but no gameplay features in sight. :lol: see you in the 'universe, citizens!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the other two items will be implemented in a future patch. thank you for supporting our dev teams! we couldn't take expensive rear end vacations to the coast of italy without you

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

XK posted:

It's a good thing we've all pulled our money together so we can help citizens cash out on the gray market.

We really love handing out money, hundreds and thousands of dollars at a time.

It's a good thing CIG has helped us to reinforce the narrative that the game is poo poo and everyone should sell their stuff on the grey market by making a poo poo game and also by allowing ship trading on a grey market.

It's a good thing CIG depressed the price of grey market trades by randomly denying refunds and instituting a one-trade limit, causing people to start panic selling their accounts at below-cost.

It's a good thing that the guy who ran r/DS wasn't recently caught with alt accounts pumping up his own trade history and trying to maintain positive opinions of the game even as he profited off of suckers by buying their accounts and reselling them on the grey market!

It's a good thing that rumors haven't been swirling for years of CIG gifting streamers and employees ships with the understanding that they will use the grey market to trade them for cash value!!!

Boy, I'm glad that it turned out that it was goons behind it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Hav posted:

I'll buy a little mocap of my very own :allears: