Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

As far as I can recall, Hunter Zolomon was stripped of his powers and basically written out of the Flash timeline aftter Final Crisis, leaving Eobard Thawne as the only Reverse-Flash. I don't think the two Zooms ever worked together outside of the Rogues War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

As far as I can recall, Hunter Zolomon was stripped of his powers and basically written out of the Flash timeline aftter Final Crisis, leaving Eobard Thawne as the only Reverse-Flash. I don't think the two Zooms ever worked together outside of the Rogues War.

What kind of a name is "Zolomon", anyway?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

A weird one, unlike perfectly normal names like Eobard Thawne.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

A weird one, unlike perfectly normal names like Eobard Thawne.

I could imagine some British aristocrat or maybe an Amish dude or a Pilgrim with a crazy name like that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

Not a very common one, according to Ancestry.com, but there are some records of a family with that name in Ohio. Probably a corruption of Solomon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

I could imagine some British aristocrat or maybe an Amish dude or a Pilgrim with a crazy name like that.

All those weird names tend to be people from the Bible. I don't remember the story Eobard from Sunday school.

Zolomon is just a quirky version of Solomon, a name from the bible. His ancestor probably had a weird accent and the bureaucrat at Ellis Island wrote it down wrong.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

While we're discussing the Flash, was there any reason why Waid's (original) run was broken up by the Morrison/Millar issues? Did Waid leave the book but come back, or did he just need a break from it for a bit?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My mom had a few uncles from the old country with the name Solomon (or shortened to Solly) so I never thought it was weird name if pronounced like that. The thing with the "z" though sounds like some kind of yoga mom weird for the sake of being weird kind of spelling that you would see popping up in the last few years, kind of like how the letter "y" has been inserted into names now, whether they need the letter or not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Zolomon is just spelled that way so you can take out the middle letters to get Zoom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Zolomon is just spelled that way so you can take out the middle letters to get Zoom.

Then his super-villain name should be "Zooon"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

So it's Zoon then?

No wonder he never caught on

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

purple death ray posted:

So it's Zoon then?

I remember a comic panel (maybe when he was waking up after the treadmill mishap or coming out of a coma or something) it's a closeup of Zolomon on the name placard, then his fingers come down and rake over the name leaving it as Zolomon. Whoooooooooa!

I always figured Zolomon was some variant of Solomon. But then again, when you got a villain whose real name is fuckin Roy G. Bivolo can you honestly waggle your finger at anything?

E: I'd love to know the thought process behind coming up with some of the ridiculous 'civilian alter-egos' for characters. I looked up Dr. Midnite on Wikipedia, and kind of rolled my eyes at his name being 'Dr. Charles McNider'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think Tom Morrow/T. O. Morrow is still the best Super Villain name pun because it’s completely believable as a real name, almost innocuous, but is every bit as literal and eye rolling as the others when you look at it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I maintain the Martian Manhunter's name should be pronounced "John Johns".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

purple death ray posted:

So it's Zoon then?

Zoon is a less well-known Flash villain who can control time to make things happen zooner.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Zoon is a less well-known Flash villain who can control time to make things happen zooner.

That actually reminds me of a question I had. Quicksilver lost his powers when Scarlet Witch said "No More Mutants," then I read Son of M where he inhaled Terrigan gas and got a weird ability to sorta travel through time, then I didn't read anything involving him again until the most recent Uncanny Avengers where he has his old powers back. What happened between then and now?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mover posted:

I think Tom Morrow/T. O. Morrow is still the best Super Villain name pun because it’s completely believable as a real name, almost innocuous, but is every bit as literal and eye rolling as the others when you look at it

I feel like him and Turner D. Century ought to have a cross-company team-up.

prefect posted:

I maintain the Martian Manhunter's name should be pronounced "John Johns".

It's not?! :psyduck:

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 28, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If you mention Turner D. Century 3 times on a single page, Edge & Christian appears out of nowhere.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

So it's Zoon then?

Zoon is the homeworld of the Legion's Timber Wolf (for some reason they changed it to Zuun in later versions).

And Eobard Thawne at least has the excuse of being from the future. Maybe in the 25th Century, being called Eobard Thawne is like being named John Jones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

John Jones sounds like a normal American name John Johns doesn't. J'onn J'onzz could easily have the same vowel sound, but J'on changed it for his secret identity in order to blend in better.

Fake edit: Chrome somehow recognized the proper spelling was J'onn and not J'on and since the first name has a double n and the last name doesn't that might affect vowel pronunciation, I'm not an expert on Martian grammar.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

LadyPictureShow posted:

I remember a comic panel (maybe when he was waking up after the treadmill mishap or coming out of a coma or something) it's a closeup of Zolomon on the name placard, then his fingers come down and rake over the name leaving it as Zolomon. Whoooooooooa!

I always figured Zolomon was some variant of Solomon. But then again, when you got a villain whose real name is fuckin Roy G. Bivolo can you honestly waggle your finger at anything?

E: I'd love to know the thought process behind coming up with some of the ridiculous 'civilian alter-egos' for characters. I looked up Dr. Midnite on Wikipedia, and kind of rolled my eyes at his name being 'Dr. Charles McNider'

My favourite ever superperson name thing is still the Riddler. Whose name is Edward Nygma.

Only it's not. His birth name was Eddie Nash. But he legally changed it to Nygma, because he was that committed to the gimmick.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

My favourite ever superperson name thing is still the Riddler. Whose name is Edward Nygma.

Only it's not. His birth name was Eddie Nash. But he legally changed it to Nygma, because he was that committed to the gimmick.

The Riddler is so much better than the Joker, I can't properly express it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If we're doing amazingly appropriate names, how about a moment of appreciation for Dr. Harleen Quinzell, aka Harley Quinn? I love that it's just close enough to a real name to be plausible and also to be entirely believable that she'd prefer a nickname that would land her perilously close to a synonym for "clown".

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I like my favorite Riddler more than my favorite Joker, but hate the worst Riddler more than the worst Joker. The former is Good Riddler, the latter is the Riddler that comes right after.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I get that J'onn J'onzz likely wouldn't be pronounced 'John Johns' but given the J'on structure in both, my mind just automatically 'reads' it as 'John Johns' in my head.

Stupid Linguistics answer: maybe the zz at the end of his last name makes it a long 'o' sound.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

J. Jonah Jameson posted:

Guy named Otto Octavius winds up with eight limbs. Four mechanical arms welded right onto his body. What are the odds?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Dini's take on the Riddler during his Detective Comics run is still my fave Riddler. I have a soft spot for villains turning heroes (or just less villainous I guess) because it shows an actual growth in the character, and having the Riddler still keep his smug charm and ego while actually trying to put it to good use was a good turn for the character.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Beating their heretofore unheard of daughter to death was a very DC (at that time) heel turn back and it sucked hard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

He also could have been Zoom'n.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

LadyPictureShow posted:

Other side question: I assume Zoom and P. Zoom would team up at times. How were they told apart? Slightly different yellow costumes? Zoom having that weird way of talking (Dunno if every writer did his dialogue/speech bubble thing)?

They teamed up in Rogues War. Zolomon had the crazy eyes.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Selachian posted:

Zoon is the homeworld of the Legion's Timber Wolf (for some reason they changed it to Zuun in later versions).

And Eobard Thawne at least has the excuse of being from the future. Maybe in the 25th Century, being called Eobard Thawne is like being named John Jones.

I was making a joke about the failure of the Microsoft Zune to take hold of any significant share of the market

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

irlZaphod posted:

While we're discussing the Flash, was there any reason why Waid's (original) run was broken up by the Morrison/Millar issues? Did Waid leave the book but come back, or did he just need a break from it for a bit?

Pretty sure they just thought it would be fun to swap books for a while. Morrison and Millar did Flash #130-138 (Millar did #139-141 solo) and Waid did JLA #18-21 and #32-33. These issues roughly line up time-wise? Kinda? I don't know if there was any more to it than that, but maybe.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

irlZaphod posted:

He took a year off to do JLA: Year One and The Life Story of The Flash.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Bringing up more Flash Rogues chat here (this thread is a godsend) my brother watches The Flash, and I used to read it up until like, Rogues War in the Johns era, but I'll pick up some more recent issues here and there. But him asking me questions about show characters and me explaining who they were in the comics has us both going kinda :psyduck: at times.

Is Zoom (Hunter Zolomon) still around as a Rogue? I know he was more or less a strictly Wally-era villain. The fact they've rebooted the DC universe like twice since I regularly read comics makes me guess either 'no' or 'yes but...'

Though my brother seemed to appreciate the explanation 'in the comics he got his powers because he hosed around with the cosmic treadmill because Wally refused to stop Gorilla Grodd from paralyzing him'.

Other side question: I assume Zoom and P. Zoom would team up at times. How were they told apart? Slightly different yellow costumes? Zoom having that weird way of talking (Dunno if every writer did his dialogue/speech bubble thing)?

Zoom has black lenses and pink irises and the two lightning bolts dick touching at his belt line (like Wallys costume).

Thawne has jus the reverse Flash version of Barrys (the boot wings, and thick lightning bolt belt).

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Paraphrased from Waid's Daredevil run:

"Zebediah Killgrave? Was this guy born to be a supervillain?"
"We call that the 'Victor Von Doom' effect."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Benito Cereno posted:

Pretty sure they just thought it would be fun to swap books for a while. Morrison and Millar did Flash #130-138 (Millar did #139-141 solo) and Waid did JLA #18-21 and #32-33. These issues roughly line up time-wise? Kinda? I don't know if there was any more to it than that, but maybe.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

He took a year off to do JLA: Year One and The Life Story of The Flash.

Thanks! I was curious since I have a couple of the new tpbs of his run, and also the Morrison/Millar tpb. I had noticed that Waid came back to Flash afterwards. It's interesting to read more about the goings on behind the scenes sometimes.

The whole thing around the "Fastest Man Alive" series post-Infinite Crisis was weird too. Poor Bart did not get treated well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It seems like the new Flash series is more like Wally's personality with Barry's background.

This is a fairly nonspecific question, but why was Wally's personal life such a chaotic mess for so many years? I don't mean soap opera drama, I mean like, he won the lottery and then went broke and his father was an alien secret agent. I went back and read the whole run, and it all seemed so unnecessary. The most "grounded" part of Wally's first Flash series was him trying to make friends with supervillains so they wouldn't be dicks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

This is a fairly nonspecific question, but why was Wally's personal life such a chaotic mess for so many years? I don't mean soap opera drama, I mean like, he won the lottery and then went broke and his father was an alien secret agent. I went back and read the whole run, and it all seemed so unnecessary. The most "grounded" part of Wally's first Flash series was him trying to make friends with supervillains so they wouldn't be dicks.

The 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Late '80s, really.

The real answer is it went through two writers relatively fast, and also a dumbass crossover for the bit about his dad.