Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

TheQuietWilds posted:

The Vitamix 5200 is currently just under $300 which according to CCC is an all-time low, so prob a good time to snag one if you want one

https://smile.amazon.com/Vitamix-00...GXN5A3PQ3WMC1NA

Man I wish I had gotten this one instead of my $260 refurb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You loose like 2 years of warranty but if your refurb breaks they'll send you a brand new one in my experience.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Speaking of All-Clad, BB&B sells an All-Clad 8" and 10" set of nonstick fry pans for $60. I bought them a few weeks ago and have been very happy with them.

Link

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TheQuietWilds posted:

The Vitamix 5200 is currently just under $300 which according to CCC is an all-time low, so prob a good time to snag one if you want one

https://smile.amazon.com/Vitamix-00...GXN5A3PQ3WMC1NA

I want to say Costco has a coupon for a new one at $300, too?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Costco's is a newer model and their sale might be ending today or tomorrow. But in California they charge tax.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Steve Yun posted:

Costco's is a newer model and their sale might be ending today or tomorrow. But in California they charge tax.

Amazon also charges tax for those in California...

The Costco sale is for the "Explorian" and doesn't give a model number. Its $300 until December 24th. Looks like it comes with the wide container.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Someone please explain convection and toaster ovens to me, and why I would want one instead of my regular oven (which is incredibly inaccurate so gently caress it), and what it can/can't do, and finally a recommendation if you would be so kind

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

AnonSpore posted:

Someone please explain convection and toaster ovens to me, and why I would want one instead of my regular oven (which is incredibly inaccurate so gently caress it), and what it can/can't do, and finally a recommendation if you would be so kind
Toaster ovens are smaller and good for toasting stuff without having to heat up a whole goddamn oven. They're also nice if you want to cook, like, two cookies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

AnonSpore posted:

A convection oven has an air circulator in it, transferring most of the heat that way. A toaster oven does not and heats mostly by radiation. A convection over is nice if you also don't want a toaster. I like them for heating things up like egg rolls which obviously wouldn't fit in a toaster oven, and a full size regular oven seems like overkill.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I have a countertop oven that's about twice as big as a normal toaster oven and it has convection. I can cook 6 cookies at a time!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Posting here instead of the small questions thread, sorry I’m new here

Snowy posted:

What’s the best sub-$70 wireless meat thermometer for an oven? I see a few in that range on amazon but i never used one and I’m not sure if I need two probes or not. It would either be used on large cuts or steaks for two.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Toaster ovens are usually 'in addition to' a regular oven. As noted above they are a lot faster/easier for small things. That said some modern toaster ovens are really good, because they are smaller it's easier to regulate the temperature and you can cook a pretty decent sized amount of stuff in them. Dinner for 2 anyway. Also, some of them can make toast (note that many of them cannot make 'good' toast). We roast chicken breasts and potatoes in ours for an easy, no fuss meal.

Convection is a technique of circulating the air in an oven to even out the temperature and transfer heat faster. Why does everyone not use convection all the time then? Good luck finding recipes written for convection, which means you have to take a lot more active role in the cooking process. You can get most (all?) sizes of ovens with convection. I've used it a few times, it really does cook faster (overcooks faster too).

This toaster oven is usually highly recommended (I don't have one): https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...le+toaster+oven

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Convection ovens also tend to cook more evenly, due to air circulation. What was said above certainly applies though: Recipes are almost without exception written for non-convection ovens, so you need to chop some time off, poke things more often, and possibly change the cooking temperature.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Confusingly, some convection oven manufacturers already try to invisibly adjust by changing the temp for you. My oven runs 30 degrees cooler when on convection, but says it's the same. So you set it to 350 convection, it heats up to 320 and starts up the fan, and stays at 320.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Are convection ovens really that rare in the US? Here in Germany most recipes include a value for convection ovens. For example: a box of frozen pizza says 200° with top+bottom heat or 180° in a convection oven.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

tonberrytoby posted:

Are convection ovens really that rare in the US? Here in Germany most recipes include a value for convection ovens. For example: a box of frozen pizza says 200° with top+bottom heat or 180° in a convection oven.

Yes, they're not at all common or the norm here.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

Okay thank you, gently caress to airfryers then.

I have one and like it a lot. I mainly just do chicken with it, gets it way crispier than my oven. It's obviously not the same as frying it in a bunch of fat but it's been great for crispy chicken and brusselsprouts.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Murgos posted:

This toaster oven is usually highly recommended (I don't have one): https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...le+toaster+oven

I picked up the BOV800XL (the original Smart Oven) about three weeks ago to help with the logistics of thanksgiving dinner, and it's been awesome. Since I got it I've baked pies and cookies, reheated pizza, baked chicken, toasted bread/bagels/waffles, and some other uses I'm forgetting and it's excelled at everything. It's particularly nice how fast it heats up for baking things. No more 20-minute waits for the oven to get to 425 (along with all the wasted energy of heating all that space/mass)? Yes please! My only regret is not getting one years ago.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

tonberrytoby posted:

I have a convection oven. It's pretty cool that when I turn convection on it automatically adjusts the temp down. So if I set it to 300° it'll change it to 280°.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Will a portable single burner induction hob heat an enabled cast iron pan faster than my glasstop electric oven? I'm being a little skeptical about it just because the oven can obviously draw a lot more current, but I have no measurements about how much heat it can actually deliver through its biggest burner.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Has anyone got any feedback on this coffee maker? It's got a good deal going right now, and I love coffee, but I've just been using an aeropress all this time. Would be pretty swanky having an official coffee machine with milk frother for some exquisite coffee shenanigans. I just feel like this is too good, all the reviews are from top Amazon reviewers, and I feel like most of them are shills.

That being said, the Cyber Monday deal seems legitimate, as all the other prices I can find online range from £150+, with most hovering around £180.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Question, how worth it is an instant pot, and what size should I get (I'm pretty sure the first answer will be yes anyway)?

I'll probably end up using it more for rice than anything, but I like slow cooking food as well.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

iospace posted:

Question, how worth it is an instant pot, and what size should I get (I'm pretty sure the first answer will be yes anyway)?

I'll probably end up using it more for rice than anything, but I like slow cooking food as well.

Pretty much any slow cooker recipe can be done faster and better in a pressure cooker, plus all the stuff you can only do in a pressure cooker.

Get the biggest one you can. If you need more room, throw out your slow cooker.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had a crockpot, and the IP slow cook is just as good. Plus it's all programmable so you can set things off to start perfectly and not worry about faffing about with stuff like you had to with a crockpot. It's definitely worth it - when I first got mine, I was convinced it'd be a one off use gadget that I'd end up storing in a cupboard forever. That's not what happened, I ended up giving it a dedicated space, and I cook around 80% of my stuff in it now. I can throw pretty much whatever into it and it'll cook it in no time, and a really huge perk is it'll help vegetables and soft food retain their texture, whereas stovetop cooking would need to cook longer and stuff had a tendency to turn to mush unless I micromanaged and threw things in at the right time.

I've got the smaller one of the two sizes, and it's plenty big enough for just myself. If I go all out, I can make a meal that has 4-5 servings (and my serving sizes are pretty hearty, I'm a fat gently caress on the inside) but these days I tend to hold back a bit cause I just don't have the containers to store all the excess to freeze it. I can easily cook a 500g of rice in it at a time, which is a hell of a lot of rice. All I'm saying is, say goodbye to tough, chewy meat, and prepare your angus for melt-in-the-mouth, fall-off-the-bone meat from here on out.

Getting the biggest one is a good shout if the price difference isn't too high. Nab one during Cyber Monday if that's even possible.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 29, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

iospace posted:

I don't know if it's just me but the rice always sticks to the bottom of the pot in my Instant Pot. Doesn't seem to work as well as a dedicated rice cooker.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah if you're going to mostly cook rice, a rice cooker is a better idea.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Me, though... I do actually use a slow cooker a ton. Soups, stews, chili etc...
Sounds like maybe I should get one.

My question is, does it completely obsolete a crockpot? Like, can I get rid of mine for space? Or do I need to keep the slow cooker for certain things?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Feenix posted:

My question is, does it completely obsolete a crockpot? Like, can I get rid of mine for space? Or do I need to keep the slow cooker for certain things?

Yeah it can pressure cook to do in 45 minutes what a slow cooker does in a day or it can actually regular slow cook it for 8+ hours. I think the only caveat is that it's a circular, tallish pot so if your slow cooker is a long oval it can hold stuff like ribs or a pork loin better.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Feenix posted:

You can get rid of the slow cooker.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We just had this conversation in another thread, but I can't remember which. I got an instant pot planning to ditch my slow cooker. I've ended up keeping it because the instant pot just doesn't have the shape or capacity for bigger cuts.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

bamhand posted:

I don't know if it's just me but the rice always sticks to the bottom of the pot in my Instant Pot. Doesn't seem to work as well as a dedicated rice cooker.

Surprisingly I haven't had this issue. What I do find is that I might want to only do 3 min of pressure, not 4, I find the rice seems a tad bit overcooked. Or I could release the pressure a bit earlier. I think I'll have to run some tests.

What I really love about them is being able to do stock so fast. I must have 3 liters of vegetable stock frozen now. Which is great for making rice, though I do throw a chicken bouillon cube in with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Anne Whateley posted:

We just had this conversation in another thread, but I can't remember which. I got an instant pot planning to ditch my slow cooker. I've ended up keeping it because the instant pot just doesn't have the shape or capacity for bigger cuts.
Do you have the 6 or the 8 qt?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Whatever was on sale last Christmas! I'll check.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anne Whateley posted:

Whatever was on sale last Christmas! I'll check.

I believe that was the 6qt, so maybe the 8qt would have worked better as a slow cooker replacement.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I eat meat but my family does not so I cook vegetarian like 99% of the time. I also don't tend to do LARGE amounts if I do. So I think the large cuts of butt or ribs fitting is a non-issue for me. Thanks for the advice. Going on the xmas list!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Will a portable single burner induction hob heat an enabled cast iron pan faster than my glasstop electric oven? I'm being a little skeptical about it just because the oven can obviously draw a lot more current, but I have no measurements about how much heat it can actually deliver through its biggest burner.

In my experience, the single-hob induction burner we bought is much faster at boiling water in pots that are no bigger than the burner itself (since it heats up the whole bottom) and reasonably faster with bigger pots. I think the difference (in speed and energy consumption) is in that the induction burner heats the metal of the pot directly and as such doesn't lose as much heat in warming up the burner surface in order to heat the pot through conduction. I'm probably actually quite wrong, though, knowing how this stuff usually goes.

Anyone have an opinion about french-style rolling pins? MY GIRLFRIEND is interested in them. I notice there are tapered and non-tapered variants but I can't really find anything about which is better for what or anything - is this just kind of a "well, what do YOU like?" situation, where it just comes down to personal preference?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
French style rolling pins are much more maneuverable than rolling dowels, and the thicker center feels like it helps to mash down doughs which tend to be a roundish ball (in other words, thicker in the middle). The only issue I've noticed is that it takes a lot of back and forth to get it even.

I have never used a traditional rolling pin, so I have no idea how it compares. I just know that I regret buying my rolling dowel, which was only good for picking up a whole 20 pound turkey by impaling its butt and moving it to a different cooking vessel.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Some time ago there was a big discussion on the Instant Pot website about cooking rice and Instant Pot changed their recommendations on cook time and water ratio based on customer feedback. Their literature and cookbooks still have the old ratios but the website should have updated info. I don't usually make rice in mine but I remember reading it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

wormil posted:

Some time ago there was a big discussion on the Instant Pot website about cooking rice and Instant Pot changed their recommendations on cook time and water ratio based on customer feedback. Their literature and cookbooks still have the old ratios but the website should have updated info. I don't usually make rice in mine but I remember reading it.

yeah I followed the IP instruction booklet recipe for basmati rice, it turned out pretty awful. so I went online and grabbed a recipe off the internet and it worked like a charm. I made so much rice, my god. I just kept filling up tupperware containers and it wouldn't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Ah, that explains why. Basmati rice is what I've been using, and I'm going by the book.