Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same font they're using in iOS 11 Notes.

God that's an eyesore. Makes my brain hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
Lame. It looks cartoonish and isn't used anywhere else.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935578694541770752
:allears:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Confirmed that bug on all my machines. Holy loving poo poo etc.

Can't login to a locked/rebooted Mac as far as I can tell, but.... holy poo poo.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, this'll be front page news soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ESCALATION PRIVILEGES WITH PHYSICAL ACCESS

SAY IT ISN'T SO

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Yeah it’s a bad bug for sure, but so far from what I’ve seen the mitigation should be FileVault plus lock or sleep your computer when you aren’t in front of it, and you should be doing that stuff anyways.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
How is this reproduced? I tried it on my machines (by changing the login window setting to username/password instead of list of users) but I can't log in as root. But login window has no "login button" like the tweet says to click, so maybe I'm trying this in the wrong place?

Edit: Ah, the authentication dialog, not the login window.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 28, 2017

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Nothing you couldn't do before with physical access (reboot into single user mode, etc)

But yeah, not a good look

Best way to "mitigate" it currently is to trigger the bug (thereby creating the root account) then "sudo passwd" to change the root password from blank to... not-blank.

Choadmaster posted:

How is this reproduced?

You have to trigger the creation of the root account first, by being logged in and having an admin password prompt come up, and then entering "root" with no password and submitting it twice. Then you can logout/reboot and login as root with no password, but you can't trigger the bug from the login screen.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

How is this reproduced? I tried it on my machines (by changing the login window setting to username/password instead of list of users) but I can't log in as root. But login window has no "login button" like the tweet says to click, so maybe I'm trying this in the wrong place?

Go to Sys Prefs and unlock a pane. Type in 'root' and blank, and just hammer return a few times.

P.S. This now enables the root user with a blank password, so hopefully you're on a safe network while you undo that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

^^ dammit pivo

Choadmaster posted:

Go to System Preferences and try to change something so that it brings up the user/pass box

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I see, this is the authentication dialog, not the login window.

Edit:

Pivo posted:

P.S. This now enables the root user with a blank password, so hopefully you're on a safe network while you undo that.

Good to know; fixed. This is hilariously bad.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 28, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

pzy posted:

Nothing you couldn't do before with physical access (reboot into single user mode, etc)

Not with FileVault. Even encrypted machines left unattended (and come on, people leave machines unlocked all the time), someone can just quickly create a root/blank account and they'd be none the wiser. Also, think of disgruntled employees on locked down machines.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Is this a bug? I manage a large environment of Macs but do rely on the Apple provided images for OS upgrades and I am not able to reproduce this on any of my machines, including one that I just upgraded to High Sierra yesterday.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

I see, this is the authentication dialog, not the login window.

It propagates to the login window though. Once you've created a root user with a blank password in System Preferences, you can use it to log in.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Look, we all know physical access is pwned anyway, but this is thoroughly pwned in 10 seconds flat by someone walking by to a machine logged in to an unprivileged account. If you don't think this is bad, you are the worst kind of Apple fanboy. They dun' goofed so hard.

edit: you can just turn off FileVault and steal the whole machine later

Pivo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 28, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're preparing users for FaceID on the Mac

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FaceID macOS refuses to give you root if you don’t have Cheetos in your beard and a Linux pun on your T-shirt.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

FaceID macOS refuses to give you root if you don’t have Cheetos in your beard and a Linux pun on your T-shirt.

Yeah and you have ot live in your moms basement too :D

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There better be a fix in 10.13.2! :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have the flu and woke up to this tearing up my Twitts.

Here's what I posted in the Grey InfoSEC thread. (note: "if you have screen sharing on, it will work." is referring to the idiocy that you can remote in using the root account)

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, if you have screen sharing on, it will work.

A few more details I've found:

If you already enabled a root account and it has a password you're fine.

You have to do the initial exploit in System Prefs>Users It actually creates the password-less root account. So everyone rushing to test this has already self-owned.

System Prefs is the only place macOS will actually create the account if it's missing. However user level of the account trying this doesn't matter.

It will work on the logon screen if you have it set to force entering a User ID. If you just use the account picker 'root' won't be an option.

Setting a password will fix the issue.

EDIT:
Use this to see if you already have a 'root' account enabled
code:
dscl . list /Users | grep -v '^_'
If you do, try to logon with no password to see if you need to set one.

NVM. I are stupid with the user list. Root will still show up if it's disabled. Just give it a password.
Use this to set one:
code:
sudo passwd -u root

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 29, 2017

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Some of those are untrue like "It will work on the logon screen if you have it set to force entering a User ID."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pzy posted:

Some of those are untrue like "It will work on the logon screen if you have it set to force entering a User ID."

Yeah, in the context of the conversation (i.e. getting in to the Mac using root user) it was more "you can login as root" not that it will enable root using the technique from the tweet. I wasn't clear on that, sorry.

Also, the user list is bad way to see, since root is there but disabled. That was my bad, there. Just use the KB to set the password and disable root. That way if it gets enabled due to a related or new bug, you at least have a password and aren't opening up your root with a NULL password.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 29, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why should I disable my root user completely? For some reason I created one ages ago so the bug didn't work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

Why should I disable my root user completely? For some reason I created one ages ago so the bug didn't work.

What do you possibly need it for? Any admin level tasks should be done with 'sudo' in the CLI (which is what the GUI is really doing when it need your password to install or change things)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, in the context of the conversation (i.e. getting in to the Mac using root user) it was more "you can login as root" not that it will enable root using the technique from the tweet. I wasn't clear on that, sorry.

Also, the user list is bad way to see, since root is there but disabled. That was my bad, there. Just use the KB to set the password and disable root. That way if it gets enabled due to a related or new bug, you at least have a password and aren't opening up your root with a NULL password.

I actually tested that: setting the password for root, then disabling it again. The exploit still worked, so leave it enabled with the password set.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luceo posted:

I actually tested that: setting the password for root, then disabling it again. The exploit still worked, so leave it enabled with the password set.

Yes, the immediate fix is to leave the root user ENABLED, but give it a password. If you disable root (even if you gave it a password), then you can re-enable and reset its password to nothing. I just reproduced that exactly like you said.

For now, leave root enabled but give it a password. That's it.

e: Once a fix is in the pipe, you can safely disable root again, I think?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

loving hell. This is even worse than I initially thought.

EDIT: Jesus Christ. I just re-enabled it going through the Directory Utility and it prompts me to set a password when I enable. That tells me when you disable root, it clears the password back to NULL.

WHAT THE loving poo poo, APPLE.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 29, 2017

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Came to this thread to make sure you guys know, glad everyone is on top of things. This and the keychain exploit (which by the way, having a place where all your passwords are stored I would hope they would test that to the ground), god drat it apple.

What bothers me about this is you can get root access from a simple AppleScript requesting it which means unsigned apps can silently obtain/change a lot of things on your computer.

Nude fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 29, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This was posted on the their developers forum over two weeks ago :lol:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79235

quote:

chethan177
Nov 13, 2017 12:48 PM
(in response to Taylor E)
Note: This solution might be specific to High Sierra

Try this:
Solution 1:
On startup, click on "Other"
Enter username: root and leave the password empty. Press enter. (Try twice)
If you're able to log in (hurray, you're the admin now), then head over to System Preferences>Users & Groups and create a new Admin account.

Solution 2:
If you're unable to login at startup using username: root and empty password, then login with your existing account (standard user).
Again, head over to System Preferences>Users & Groups. Click on the Lock Icon. When prompted for username and password, type username: root and leave the password empty. Press enter. This might throw an error, but try again immediately with the same username: root and empty password. This should unlock the Lock Icon. If it does, try Solution 1 next.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

quote:

(hurray, you're the admin now)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

macOS and Mac Software: hurray, you're the admin now

Please.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Your the admin now, dog!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Some people are mad :lol:

quote:

Given the nature of the workaround one has to ask why you posted Solution #2 instead of reporting this issue to Apple's bug bounty program.

We're on the Apple developer forums, so understand many would have a hard time believing you're just a normal user even when replying with "Solution 2 worked for me. No idea how or why. Hope this helps."

Who are you and what was your intention on posting a security issue on a public developer forum?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't understand that mentality at all. It's not this random dude's job to make sure Apple don't make such a gently caress up. He can tell who he likes.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I thought Apple didn’t have a macOS bug bounty program?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Choadmaster posted:

macOS and Mac Software: hurray, you're the admin now

Please.

TBH most single user machines are already admin on the main account, this is root.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't understand that mentality at all. It's not this random dude's job to make sure Apple don't make such a gently caress up. He can tell who he likes.

I think most of the dust has settled but a decade ago, in the security community, Responsible Disclosure vs. Full Disclosure was a real and contentious issue with full on Internet slap fights.

skull mask mcgee posted:

I thought Apple didn’t have a macOS bug bounty program?

I think they kind of do, but it's invite only. And I think you have to have a developer account, which is $99/yr.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is it me or is Bluetooth hosed up in High Sierra? My AirPods constantly connect and reconnect and then magically connect for a while and then disconnect. I get that BLUMM noise all the time while im watching videos and stuff.

I tried unpairing, still happens, the firmware is updated, and I reset the bluetooth controller on the iMac 5k where this is happening. This doesnt happen on my iPhone or iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anecdotally, my BT is fine on both daily drivers where I wear BT headphones all the time during use. Not AirPods, mind you.