Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

aleksendr posted:

Helpful Stuff

Thanks. The non-shooting / stabbing parts of this game are very complicated....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Nickiepoo posted:

I press the lift button just as the last guy is about to jump on it.
On the tall Corpus elevator with the airshaft shortcut, I like to look up and spam wormhole as I'm falling down the shaft.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Lumpy posted:

Dont worry too much about it. Anything serious will have a confirmation screen, sometime even two of them to be certain you are really, really sure you want to sell your Excalibur Prime for credits.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Yep, I'm still ignoring the focus system.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Yep, I'm still ignoring the focus system.

This is the entirety of what you need to know: if you get a zenurik lens install it on a frame that uses it's powers to kill dudes.

When you eventually collect a bunch of focus pour it into the powers that increase energy regen. Kill dudes slightly more effectively.

That's it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Is there anything worth getting in the Naramon or Unairu schools? I got like 2 dozen unairu lenses from the plains event and they're the only lenses I own so I've just been slapping them on everything.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

This is the entirety of what you need to know: if you get a zenurik lens install it on a frame that uses it's powers to kill dudes.

When you eventually collect a bunch of focus pour it into the powers that increase energy regen. Kill dudes slightly more effectively.

That's it.

Pretty much. I use the energy regen thing all the time. It's not necessary by any means, but I've found it useful. Every other node is not very useful, though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Naramon has Power Spike, which is awesome if you're into Blood Rush or Weeping Wounds melee builds

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Is there anything worth getting in the Naramon or Unairu schools? I got like 2 dozen unairu lenses from the plains event and they're the only lenses I own so I've just been slapping them on everything.

Naramon has the combo meter power. It decreases by a set number, minimum of five, pretty second out of combat instead of just reseting. That's a bit niche but I like it.

The Unairu passive that is just a straight armor boost is good on some frames. The rest of the school is pretty dire though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

unairu has some fun stuff like passive armor boost for your frame, and damage reflection on top of that. goes really well with tankier frames in general, and there's also good utility stuff like being able to hide yourself + others around you when you crouch while in operator mode

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

The problem with almost all reflected damage abilities is that the damage enemies put out is pitiful compared to their hp pools. It's enough to kill you with your maybe few thousand eHP, but enemies will easily have hundreds of thousands if not millions of eHP. The only time I've seen a damage reflection ability work well is Octavia's 1, and even then it looses that when combined with her 2. Unairu's damage reflection also loses even more points for not actually reducing the damage you're taking (wtf?) so you just output a tiny amount of damage to the enemies around you as you die.

Also, I think the armour boost is only base armour so best case scenario is +120 flat, unmodified armour on Valkyr, which doesn't seem worth the investment.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The 2 "way bound" passives in each way can be unbound, which allows them to be made active regardless of which way you currently have selected as your primary.

Unfortunately, to unbind them you need to max them out first and then pay another million focus on top (each). If those are the only lenses you have then I guess you might as well use them though.

Note that you can buy blueprints from the market to craft a Greater lens from 3 normal ones, although whether you can be bothered is a whole other question...

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

The Naramon thing that let's you dash through enemies to open them up to finishers is pretty cool.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

When I want to chain finishers I just use my range/duration Excalibur. Radial blind is ridiculous when you juice it up.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

NumptyScrub posted:

The 2 "way bound" passives in each way can be unbound, which allows them to be made active regardless of which way you currently have selected as your primary.

Unfortunately, to unbind them you need to max them out first and then pay another million focus on top (each). If those are the only lenses you have then I guess you might as well use them though.

Note that you can buy blueprints from the market to craft a Greater lens from 3 normal ones, although whether you can be bothered is a whole other question...

Wait really? Man that shows just how well explained this game is. I thought the way bound passives were just always active to make lenses for schools beyond your main worth a drat. Like the whole point of those was to make secondaries matter. Just gating behind "unlock the school, unlock the path in the tree, unlock the load out points" is a bit too much, adding in "And also max them, and then sink in a few million" is far too underwhelming for the operator passives.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Wait really? Man that shows just how well explained this game is. I thought the way bound passives were just always active to make lenses for schools beyond your main worth a drat. Like the whole point of those was to make secondaries matter. Just gating behind "unlock the school, unlock the path in the tree, unlock the load out points" is a bit too much, adding in "And also max them, and then sink in a few million" is far too underwhelming for the operator passives.

Don't forget the pool.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Due to the new bounty reward system, a couple of T5 bounties and you'll be drowning in Breath of the Eidolon (equivalent to 20k focus). You can build Ostron rep and a bit of focus on the side.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Brilliant Eidolon Shards are the ones you turn into focus and those only drop from the teralyst, 1 per kill.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Due to the new bounty reward system, a couple of T5 bounties and you'll be drowning in Breath of the Eidolon (equivalent to 20k focus). You can build Ostron rep and a bit of focus on the side.

What? Breath of the eidolon has literally nothing to do with focus at all lol.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

god, if only you could get something you could optionally turn in for focus from bounties. that would be awesome.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Nalesh posted:

What? Breath of the eidolon has literally nothing to do with focus at all lol.

Had it confused with Brilliant Eidolon Shards, oops.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Johnny Joestar posted:

god, if only you could get something you could optionally turn in for focus from bounties. that would be awesome.

i know, right?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
How bad is the Mesa farm these days? I see stories of impressive villainy from around a year ago to do with key shares etc, but I don't know if most people behave themselves now.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Still terrible.
Find someone who sells Nav Cordinates, get lucky by only having to run it three times, or just buy her for plat.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

The Gorp posted:

Still terrible.
Find someone who sells Nav Cordinates, get lucky by only having to run it three times, or just buy her for plat.

I think that's the smart way forward. Wait for a sale and buy her with plat, in the meantime sell off any coords I get for said plat.

In a low stress happy times game the whole key share thing feels like a bad time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So what's up with the syndicate rep stuff? It sounds like it's a relative scale where boosting one lowers another and all, which is best to focus on or is it a pure style thing?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
As with all things, the answer is to ask in clan chat. There should be a half dozen keys left from when someone gave me a ton plus however many other goons have

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

So what's up with the syndicate rep stuff? It sounds like it's a relative scale where boosting one lowers another and all, which is best to focus on or is it a pure style thing?

Each syndicate has an ally, a syndicate that doesn't like them, and a syndicate that hates them. Allies gain rep at half the rate of the main syndi, syndis that dislike yours lose rep at the same rate that allies gain, and syndis that hate yours lose rep at the same rate the main syndicate gains, if that makes sense.
Like let's say you get 10,000 Steel Meridian rep. Red Veil, their ally, gets 5000, New Loka loses 5000, and The Perrin Sequence loses 10k.
The easy way to remember is to pick one half of the list and stick with it. Left side (Steel Meridian, Arbiters of Hexis, and Cephalon Suda) is generally more immediately useful, right side (New Loka, Red Veil, and The Perrin Sequence) is better if you want to sell stuff because less people picked it so there's less supply of their stuff.
In theory it's possible to level 4 syndicates at once by only actively gaining rep for two, then let the other two level at 50% speed but it's really not worth it. If you really want to do it, and really hate yourself, then the syndicates to actively level are Steel Meridian and Suda or I think Red Veil and Loka (not sure about that, I've only ever dealt with the left syndis)

Moatman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 28, 2017

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

With the nerfs to a bunch of syndicate weapons earlier in the year I think the best option for useful stuff now is just to do Steel Meridian and Red Veil.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
As someone in those two factions, note that your selection of Mods aren't that great.
If you like Nekros and Ash there are some valuable things in them, but I've ended up selling most of my faction rewards.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

You can focus all of your attention on just one syndicate too, to keep death squads down. Then you'll have your main syndicate, your secondary, two neutral, and two who hate you. The syndicates who dislike you will periodically send eximus kill-teams after you but are easily dispatched, save for New Loka who sends infested ancients after you.

That said, it's possible to be liked by up to 4 syndicates but it's a grindy balancing act.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Quirkk posted:

With the nerfs to a bunch of syndicate weapons earlier in the year I think the best option for useful stuff now is just to do Steel Meridian and Red Veil.

Perrin and Loka are still fairly decent. Can't really go wrong with a four shot tigris or a better penta. Plus I think TPS and Loka are the only ones with trin augments which are important for the Full Trinity Experience.
Oh my god I just realized that Perrin is probably named as a TPS report joke

And Tyler Too! posted:

You can focus all of your attention on just one syndicate too, to keep death squads down. Then you'll have your main syndicate, your secondary, two neutral, and two who hate you. The syndicates who dislike you will periodically send eximus kill-teams after you but are easily dispatched, save for New Loka who sends infested ancients after you.

That said, it's possible to be liked by up to 4 syndicates but it's a grindy balancing act.

Death squads basically don't matter. Worst case scenario is you eat a death to despawn them (unless they changed that? I know they don't go away when you're downed anymore but I think they still leave on death), best case scenario is you wipe them for 40k affinity or something like that. The infested squads can be annoying though.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 28, 2017

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

Death squads? You mean those guys who show up with all the free exp? I'd like it if they showed up a bit more often.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
As long as you don't max out factions immediately a "Death Squad" doesn't mean anything.
Even if you are somehow ill-equipped, you can just run away and have your teammates destroy them for you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
death squads don't lock doors like stalker. if it isn't an endless mission then you can just run away, leaving them completely untouched while you extract.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
incredibly lazy death squads

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I feel like the deathsquads have some teleporting or rubberbanding when you're not looking, though, because if I get one and walk away from it I'll constantly be running into a few eximus deathsquad dudes at a time as I go through the rest of the level even though there's no chance they could outrun or catch up to me.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I let the Destiny 2 hype train take my attention away from this game. After beating the campaign and doing some of the stuff at level 20, I kinda realized that shooting stuff in that game wasn't particularly engaging, and even from a skinner box perspective of doing an activity for the sake of finding a new item (and not because it's fun), it was kind of drab. The incremental upgrade system does nothing for me, getting a thing and then upgrading it with mods is more fun and makes more sense to me.

Even after initially disliking Warframe, playing something else that was worse in a dozen or more ways just made me realize how good this game really is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I’m pretty happy with the current state of Warframe overall. Sure Plains of Eidolon badly needs polish but it’s mostly ignorable. I think the #1 worry I have is everything to do with the Operator though. I really like the Operator lore wise. Second Dream was incredible. What I do not like is the janky rear end gameplay where they want us to play AS the Operator. Maybe it there were explicitly Operator only missions, or if Focus was more like an Operator after image appearing to make your Warframe go SSJ with more void juice, but right now everything about Operator mode is clunky as hell and emphasizes difference not synergy. I really hope they turn back sooner than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I’m pretty happy with the current state of Warframe overall. Sure Plains of Eidolon badly needs polish but it’s mostly ignorable. I think the #1 worry I have is everything to do with the Operator though. I really like the Operator lore wise. Second Dream was incredible. What I do not like is the janky rear end gameplay where they want us to play AS the Operator. Maybe it there were explicitly Operator only missions, or if Focus was more like an Operator after image appearing to make your Warframe go SSJ with more void juice, but right now everything about Operator mode is clunky as hell and emphasizes difference not synergy. I really hope they turn back sooner than later.

I think the main problem with Operator powers is that they're actually super underwhelming.

Like, the game doesn't sell that these are the horrifying void monsters that the Orokin believed could not be controlled, and had to imprison in an eternal dream, controlling cyborg puppets, to make use of.